PDA

View Full Version : Life Just got a thankyou note. What the?

tooge
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Ok, so I had this very nice patient ask if a "friend" of hers could observe us working at the office. The friend is a high school senior and will be attending college in the fall. She is curious about becoming a dentist and though it would be good to see how things work in a dental office. So, I oblige, and she comes in a few weeks ago to observe us. Today I receive this thank you note.

Dear Dotors I would like to thank you for taking the time and (scratched out) to let me(added with a small arow) spend time with you guys. I gainda lot of Knowledge From the time I spent with you all. I really appreciated. Now I'm seriously considering becoming a dentist. thanks again. ***********

Nice gesture right? Sure. I typed it word for word, letter for letter, capitals and all. This kid is going to college. Are you freakin kidding me?

Gonzo
01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Ok, so I had this very nice patient ask if a "friend" of hers could observe us working at the office. The friend is a high school senior and will be attending college in the fall. She is curious about becoming a dentist and though it would be good to see how things work in a dental office. So, I oblige, and she comes in a few weeks ago to observe us. Today I receive this thank you note.

Dear Dotors I would like to thank you for taking the time and (scratched out) to let me(added with a small arow) spend time with you guys. I gainda lot of Knowledge From the time I spent with you all. I really appreciated. Now I'm seriously considering becoming a dentist. thanks again. ***********

Nice gesture right? Sure. I typed it word for word, letter for letter, capitals and all. This kid is going to college. Are you freakin kidding me?

ROFL

Was this in Mississippi?

Donger
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM

She'll end up as one of those "free" doctors.

OnTheWarpath15
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
ROFL

The future of America...

Rooster
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I weep for the future....

raybec 4
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
We are currently looking at schools for my oldest daughter. When I was her age you needed to have grades, activities, volunteer work etc to be accepted into a good school. Now all it seems that a student needs to get accepted is to properly sign the application.

seclark
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
dear dotor tooge,
id like too wach you guys two
sec

tooge
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
ROFL

Was this in Mississippi?

No, right here in KC. You gotta be kiddin me. Do I call her and break the news that she is a dumbass or just let her find out on her own?

blaise
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I would hate to be a teacher. Half the kids think writing things like "i think u r awesum" is acceptable grammar, and the Twilight books are the pinnacle of literature.

The Franchise
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Was she hot?

yeti
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
No, right here in KC. You gotta be kiddin me. Do I call her and break the news that she is a dumbass or just let her find out on her own?

I think college (if she gets that far) will make that perfectly clear to her.

allen_kcCard
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Was she hot?

+1

RaiderH8r
Maybe she's dislexic...pheapsr?

tooge
Was she hot?

Ummm no. Unless you are into fatties. By the way, and take this for what it's worth. She was a recipient of the Kaufman Foundation Scholarship to school at Truman State. The Kaufman Foundation Scholarships are, from what I understand, for underprivilaged kids. I kinda feel bad for even mentioning this, but if she is getting into college, even one like Truman State (intentional slam, just kidding) and she lacks the grammer to write a proper thank you note, then what does that say about, well, alot of issues really?

tooge
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe she's dislexic...pheapsr?

She is a dislexic atheist. She doesn't believe in dogs.

seclark
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Ummm no. Unless you are into fatties. By the way, and take this for what it's worth. She was a recipient of the Kaufman Foundation Scholarship to school at Truman State. The Kaufman Foundation Scholarships are, from what I understand, for underprivilaged kids. I kinda feel bad for even mentioning this, but if she is getting into college, even one like Truman State (intentional slam, just kidding) and she lacks the grammer to write a proper thank you note, then what does that say about, well, alot of issues really?

great...another fattie in the donut line at hy-vee.
sec

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
you should direct her to being a pharmacist

BigVE
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Was she blond? :)

Deberg_1990
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Im surprised one of her parents didnt proofread it first?

leviw
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Seriously, from what I've observed with this generation, just be happy she humbled herself enough to offer any kind of thank you at all.

Fish
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I think college (if she gets that far) will make that perfectly clear to her.

I don't think that's quite so true anymore.... I work with quite a few people who graduated from a halfway prestigious university.... and they couldn't begin to spell "prestigious". Hell the word "university" might be a stretch for some grads....

They're pushing them through regardless these days....

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
She sounds like a perfect future dentist.

I know that every dentist that has worked on my teeth since the first has thought all of the previous ones were mongoloids, and likely why I've paid so much repairing other's work.

At least she had the courtesy for the thank you note.

sedated
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM

pay your money, get your degree

kc rush
01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Hey. None of that, I went to NMSU. My sister-in-law is a dentist (not real doctor as I call her) and she got her undergrad there. Even geeky dentist types can start there.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Seriously, from what I've observed with this generation, just be happy she humbled herself enough to offer any kind of thank you at all.

You mean the generation that will be paying off other generations debt, cleaning up the planet, the generation who won't get s.s?

Rooster
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Iowanian;5383471]She sounds like a perfect future dentist.

I know that every dentist that has worked on my teeth since the first has thought all of the previous ones were mongoloids, and likely why I've paid so much repairing other's work.

QUOTE]

Are you some kind of Anti-Dentite?

The Franchise
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Nevermind then. I was going to say that if she's hot....then she has a free pass.

tooge
01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
She sounds like a perfect future dentist.

At least she had the courtesy for the thank you note.

Come to think of it Iowa does have a dental school and lots of needy rural areas.

tooge
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Was she blond? :)

no. she was, well, brown. I didn't want to bring that into the discussion cause it really isn't relevant

SPATCH
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't think that's quite so true anymore.... I work with quite a few people who graduated from a halfway prestigious university.... and they couldn't begin to spell "prestigious". Hell the word "university" might be a stretch for some grads....

i'm a junior biochemistry major at my school (studying to go to dental school too lol)... i had a freshman seminar class that was full of other freshman biochem majors and i became friends with a lot of them... and it didn't even take a year for them all to start dropping like flies. i literally know two people from that class that are still biochem majors.

anyway, if you're studying the sciences or trying to become a doctor, you don't just get pushed through..

...the girl in the OP is completely boned

BigVE
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
no. she was, well, brown. I didn't want to bring that into the discussion cause it really isn't relevant

Isn't it? Nah, like has been said, today's generation is pitiful when it comes to GENERAL education. Spelling must be very low on the agenda any more.

leviw
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
You mean the generation that will be paying off other generations debt, cleaning up the planet, the generation who won't get s.s?

You think this generation — it's my generation, too — is capable of that? Sure, we'll have no other choice but to try. But, for the most part, we're spoiled and lazy, and we'll probably fail miserably paying off our own debts (let alone anyone else's), cleaning our own homes (let alone the planet) and finding someone to support us after retirement with no social security.

Just my opinion.

sedated
01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

ah, its all starting to make sense now.

BigVE
01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
i'm a junior biochemistry major at my school (studying to go to dental school too lol)... i had a freshman seminar class that was full of other freshman biochem majors and i became friends with a lot of them... and it didn't even take a year for them all to start dropping like flies. i literally know two people from that class that are still biochem majors.

anyway, if you're studying the sciences or trying to become a doctor, you don't just get pushed through..

...the girl in the OP is completely boned

.................so says the guy who can't begin a sentence with caps. ;)

Delano
01-12-2009, 04:07 PM

OOOOH!!! From downnnnnn-town!

ClevelandBronco
No, right here in KC...

That probably explains it.

Hydrae
And yet I can spell and even do math but will always earn less money because I did not spend 4 years of my life getting a piece of paper. :sulk:

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
the reason more brown people don't become dentists is because of america's out of control incarseration rate

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
...she lacks the grammer...

grammar.

TrebMaxx
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Writing Thank You notes are not on the standardized test. Seems to me teachers are forced to spend all their time prepping the students for the test.

teedubya
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
grammar.

Oh!

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Do I call her and break the news that she is a dumbass or just let her find out on her own?

grammer
dislexic

Maybe it's a dentist thing.

tooge
01-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe it's a dentist thing.

So I typo the word grammar, sorry. Yeah, maybe it is a dentist thing. I just can't understand how someone with grammar this poor can be accepted into college, Kaufman scholarship or not.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
So I typo the word grammar, sorry. Yeah, maybe it is a dentist thing. I just can't understand how someone with grammar this poor can be accepted into college, Kaufman scholarship or not.

:D

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
So for you it is a typo but for her she shouldn't get into college. Got ya

Fritz88
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
English 101 will own her ass.

yeti
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM

I agree. However, if she does indeed pursue the pre-dental course she will get weeded out soon enough. You have succeed at a higher academic level as a serious pre-dent than if you were pursuing a less rigorous major.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5366183#post5366183

amen brotha? I can't believe this guy is a dentist

tooge
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm on a message board and I can barely type. She was composing a handwriten thank you note to a person in her possible future profession. I guess we could all use the spell check functions for our posts here from time to time, but it doesn't make any sense. She would have been better off without the note.

yeti
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Maybe it is different because this is a casual internet message board and not writing a formal thank you note in a professional context.

Johnny Vegas
01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
pics?

tooge
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5366183#post5366183

amen brotha? I can't believe this guy is a dentist

Guess all dentists aren't hip dentists. I should have said "You are correct to the best of my knowledge sir"

leviw
It's tough for the youngsters. Text messaging doesn't require spelling, grammar or punctuation. Same with IMing. And Microsoft Word has spell check.

That said, pretty cool she was able to sniff out a pen and some paper.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm on a message board and I can barely type. She was composing a handwriten thank you note to a person in her possible future profession. I guess we could all use the spell check functions for our posts here from time to time, but it doesn't make any sense. She would have been better off without the note.

No shit she would have been better off writing it, she writes a thank you note out, you post it on a message board and are a jerk about it. Older people need to start dying or going away, and take your stupid hippy bullshit music with you. We get it, you did alot of LSD and played guitar.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
God forbid you explain to her that she needs to check her spelling and recommend she work on her english. Nooooooooo we will post it on a CHIEFS MESSAGE BOARD... That makes you better of course

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
It appears that this note is handwritten, but here's what bothers me in other cases. When a person types a letter and can't spell, why can't they do a spellcheck? Do they not know that they can't spell? It seems like you should know that, but when I think about it, it's more logical to assume that people who can't spell don't know that they can't spell, because if they did that would imply that they have some idea of how the word should be spelled.

stumppy
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe you should introduce her to nut.

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
No shit she would have been better off writing it, she writes a thank you note out, you post it on a message board and are a jerk about it. Older people need to start dying or going away, and take your stupid hippy bullshit music with you. We get it, you did alot of LSD and played guitar.

Oh, my. You are that girl, aren't you? What a tough coincidence.

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Come to think of it Iowa does have a dental school and lots of needy rural areas.

I've used the U dental school for work for about 3 years. I had to stop due to the 3hr visits for 1 filling.

ur lky she dn't txt u OMG TYSMFLMV(omg thank you for letting me visit) ur ubber kl.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh, my. You are that girl, aren't you? What a tough coincidence.

I am that girl, I think there is alittle bit of that girl in all of us, the underdog, the no body, that came from no where to make it. You will never make it to college the old jerk said, not with this grammer, yeah we won't and we will never end racism if we just bow down to assholes like that. This kind of negativity will not be tolorated, not by my generation and not be further generations. It's this same kind of bullshit that happened in the 1980 olympics....they said we were too small, too slow, and our grammer sucks. and what did we F*cking do? We won't the Gdamn Goldmetal, cause we are America, WE will F*ck you shit up, We spill whiskey on your face and wipe it up with 30 sets of shamwows, we will order snuggies and throw them away for no fucking reason. Why Because we still believe in Sold out concerts Of megadeth, Metallica, and Six pence non the richer

USA
USA
USA

Stewie
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I've used the U dental school for work for about 3 years. I had to stop due to the 3hr visits for 1 filling.

Wow! I hope the novocaine didn't wear off before the drilling started.

OnTheWarpath15
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I've been busting my ass trying to get scholarships, and this retard gets one?

To a state university?

WTF?

The Franchise
01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I've been busting my ass trying to get scholarships, and this retard gets one?

To a state university?

WTF?

Welcome to the good ole' US of A. I'm forced to pay a shitload of school loans back because I couldn't get any scholarships because I actually have a job and make money.

OnTheWarpath15
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the good ole' US of A. I'm forced to pay a shitload of school loans back because I couldn't get any scholarships because I actually have a job and make money.

This.

And I'm sure, while they would never admit it, my age is an issue as well.

It's amazing how someone with a 3.72 GPA can't get a scholarship, while some fucktard that can't spell CAT if you spot them the C and the T gets a full fucking ride.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
This.

the girl was also "brown"

The Franchise
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
This.

It's amazing how someone with a 3.72 GPA can't get a scholarship, while some fucktard that can't spell CAT if you spot them the C and the T gets a full fucking ride.

Yep. This is how funny it is.

I'm 28 and I'm a Supervisor for the local county government. I did my 8 years in the Air Force and I'm using my G.I. Bill to help pay for college. I'll probably come out with $30,000-$35,000 in school loans.

I go to school full-time and work full-time....and there are NO scholarships for me.

Oh and I'm also holding a 3.84 GPA right now through a little over 2 years.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM

This thread just got nominated for DC.

OnTheWarpath15
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Yep. This is how funny it is.

I'm 28 and I'm a Supervisor for the local county government. I did my 8 years in the Air Force and I'm using my G.I. Bill to help pay for college. I'll probably come out with $30,000-$35,000 in school loans.

I go to school full-time and work full-time....and there are NO scholarships for me.

Oh and I'm also holding a 3.84 GPA right now through a little over 2 years.

Congrats, man.

You're 8 years younger than I am, and a semester or so ahead of me.

I'm not even getting responses for the small $1000-$2500 type scholarships.

Keep up the good work.

tooge
I am that girl, I think there is alittle bit of that girl in all of us, the underdog, the no body, that came from no where to make it. You will never make it to college the old jerk said, not with this grammer, yeah we won't and we will never end racism if we just bow down to assholes like that. This kind of negativity will not be tolorated, not by my generation and not be further generations. It's this same kind of bullshit that happened in the 1980 olympics....they said we were too small, too slow, and our grammer sucks. and what did we F*cking do? We won't the Gdamn Goldmetal, cause we are America, WE will F*ck you shit up, We spill whiskey on your face and wipe it up with 30 sets of shamwows, we will order snuggies and throw them away for no ****ing reason. Why Because we still believe in Sold out concerts Of megadeth, Metallica, and Six pence non the richer

USA
USA
USA
Actually, I was like that too. Single mother, paid my own way yadayadayada. I wasn't trying to bash her so much as to bash the system that lets her get this far without being able to write a proper letter. If I wanted to teach someone proper english I would have gotten my degree in edjumacations.

Iowanian
Wow! I hope the novocaine didn't wear off before the drilling started.

I should have taken notice the first time.

Flashback to 1999.

3 months before moving, I just completed spending around $3k having all of my previous work redone, including the addition of a crown. The guy ranted about the morAns who had butchered my mouth.

FFW 3 months.
I'm in a new job, new town, no dentist.
On a sunny summer sunday, my head feels like part of it is going to explode....a throbbing toothache. Throbbing, feeling the blood moving in your face veins kinda-hurt.

Monday, Its suggested I call the U, because the previous 2 local couldn't fit me in......I get on with a grad student for emergencies.

I'd had the previous joker place a crown. He'd done so without a root canal...BUT!!! he'd driven a peg/spike/fence post through the nerve in my root, so it absessed or whatever.

The grad student, and the hoity bitch that she was(I'm gonna be rich snob)...tells me that the nerve is dead, she'd be drilling through a crown....no need for a shot.

uh yeah....root canal starts and about every 3rd twist....my eyes felt like she gouged them out as the pain shot to the top of my head and down my neck.

She told me it didn't hurt 3 times.......until I pulled the left arm stuffing off of the chair.

2 years ago, after deciding to leave the U-dentist....I get on with a local lady who was recommended. Turned out she was a complete man-hater and bitched me out for bleeding too much as she did a small filling at my gum line.

I'm going again, getting a crown redone that was screwed up and not holding....but I really like this guy.

Most experiences to date, have not been "cool".

Denstists have no business laughing at chiropractors.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Actually, I was like that too. Single mother, paid my own way yadayadayada. I wasn't trying to bash her so much as to bash the system that lets her get this far without being able to write a proper letter. If I wanted to teach someone proper english I would have gotten my degree in edjumacations.

you should have became a vet so you could pick out the highest horse to sit on

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 05:05 PM
After the several thousand dollars cash I've invested in teeth over the last 2 decades, I've never had a dentist give me a thank you note with the invoice.

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I am that girl, I think there is alittle bit of that girl in all of us, the underdog, the no body, that came from no where to make it. You will never make it to college the old jerk said, not with this grammer, yeah we won't and we will never end racism if we just bow down to assholes like that. This kind of negativity will not be tolorated, not by my generation and not be further generations. It's this same kind of bullshit that happened in the 1980 olympics....they said we were too small, too slow, and our grammer sucks. and what did we F*cking do? We won't the Gdamn Goldmetal, cause we are America, WE will F*ck you shit up, We spill whiskey on your face and wipe it up with 30 sets of shamwows, we will order snuggies and throw them away for no ****ing reason. Why Because we still believe in Sold out concerts Of megadeth, Metallica, and Six pence non the richer

USA
USA
USA

It's time to let you in on a little secret. Our generation is only letting your generation solve racism so you'll feel better about yourself when you're paying for our social security.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ad2Fr_KFiK3Vw1mDtPfuaQ/335/354"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ad2Fr_KFiK3Vw1mDtPfuaQ/335/354" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

tooge
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
After the several thousand dollars cash I've invested in teeth over the last 2 decades, I've never had a dentist give me a thank you note with the invoice.

It'd be all jacked up anyhow with grammaticlarical errors and whatsnots.

yeti
01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ad2Fr_KFiK3Vw1mDtPfuaQ/335/354"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ad2Fr_KFiK3Vw1mDtPfuaQ/335/354" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

ROFL I had forgotten about that one. Nice!

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
It's time to let you in on a little secret. Our generation is only letting your generation solve racism so you'll feel better about yourself when you're paying for our social security.

We elected obama..you're welcome

tooge
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
you should have became a vet so you could pick out the highest horse to sit on

You are absolutely right about the entire thing. I am sort of busy with this whole dental gig right now though, so I am gonna have her PM you about some writing lessons. You seem to really want to help. Thank you.

leviw
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I am that girl, (< needs a period) I think there is (separate these two words >)alittle bit of that girl in all of us, the underdog, the (one word >)no body, (a nobody is a ‘who’ not a ‘that’ >)that came from (one word >)no where to make it. You will never make it to college (insert comma here) the old jerk said, not with this (grammar >)grammer,(change comma to a period) (capitalize >))yeah we won’t and we will never end racism if we just bow down to assholes like that. This kind of negativity will not be (tolerated >)tolorated, not by my generation and not be further generations. It’s this same kind of bullshit that happened in the 1980 (Capitalize >) olympics....(< only need three periods) said we were too small, too slow, and our (grammar >)grammer sucks.(< change to comma) and what did we (lower case the ‘F’ >)F*cking do? We (‘want’ >)won’t the needs to (Goddamn?>) Gdamn (lower case >)Goldmetal, (‘because’)cause we are America, WE will (lower case the ‘F’ >)F*ck (’your’>)you shit up, We spill whiskey on your face and wipe it up with 30 sets of (capitalize the ‘s’ >)shamwows, we will order (capitalize the ‘s’ >) snuggies and throw them away for no ****ing reason. Why(< insert question mark) Because we still believe in (‘s’ needs to be lower case >) Sold out concerts Of (capitalize the ‘M’ >) megadeth, Metallica, and (capitalize the ‘P’ ‘N’ ‘R’ >) Six pence non the richer (< insert period)

USA
USA
USA

FYP

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
You are absolutely right about the entire thing. I am sort of busy with this whole dental gig right now though, so I am gonna have her PM you about some writing lessons. You seem to really want to help. Thank you.

I will give her help, never say thank you to people who are ungrateful, steal a laptop and lose weight. The end

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
We elected obama..you're welcome

Excellent work. Excellent. By the way, did Skip get his check this week? Please expedite.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Excellent work. Excellent. By the way, did Skip get his check this week? Please expedite.

So true... i see that minus prefectly clear on my paycheck

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm on a message board and I can barely type.

Herm? That you? What's up, brah? Recognized you because of the excuses.

Oh, and a lot is two words, brah.

KChiefs1
01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I absolutely hate fat female dentist's....when they start working in my mouth their titties always get in the way when I have to spit.

Delano
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I absolutely hate fat female dentist's....when they start working in my mouth their titties always get in the way when I have to spit.

That sounds bad. But you know what is worse?

Fat bastards at Subway. Why? Their gut ALWAYS flops on my sammich when they reach for the salt and pepper way up in the front of the display case.

Well, the gut-in-sammich is reason number two I never enter a Subway anymore. Number one is because the turkey tastes exactly like the tomatoes. The green peppers are indistinguishable from the cheese.

NewChief
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
It appears that this note is handwritten, but here's what bothers me in other cases. When a person types a letter and can't spell, why can't they do a spellcheck? Do they not know that they can't spell? It seems like you should know that, but when I think about it, it's more logical to assume that people who can't spell don't know that they can't spell, because if they did that would imply that they have some idea of how the word should be spelled.

That one amazes me as well. I can understand the their/there/they're or too/to/two. But when the word looks like meisycitewodsk, and they still go with it... it drives me freaking nuts. Nuts to the point that I've threatened to fail any paper that was turned in with an obvious typo on it.

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
There are a lot of high school English teachers that simply do not prepare students for college. I see all kinds of appalling shit at my university's Writing Center, where I tutor.

bowener
01-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Thats no shit. Straight out of high school I get shit for help, zero. So now I am $40,000 in the hole going into my final semester. I had great test scores and a 3.97 GPA in HS. My parent, 2 high school teachers, made just about $1000 too much for me to be eligible for federal help, then when my mother had to retire for medical reasons and was forced to take 1/2 of her retirement pay per year, I was going to be able to get help, but then Bush cut the federal help to college kids, so I was once again shit out of luck.

Now I get to graduate with a major in Philosohpy and $40,000 mountain of debt. I always planned to teach HS for a year or 2 after college to pay back loans and relax, but now with jobs the way they are, I might be fucked. So now I have to start looking into grad schools so that I can get a masters in something so that I can get into a top 20 school for philosophy to get a phd... that is the nature of my major. So, if I go right on to masters school without getting a full timejob to pay back loans, I will be well over $100,000 in debt before I start my 3-5 years of doctoral studies. I feel pretty fucked right now.

bluehawkdoc
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Turned out she was a complete man-hater and bitched me out for bleeding too much.

ROFL Dude, you crack me up. What did you say when she called you a "bleeder"?

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Thats no shit. Straight out of high school I get shit for help, zero. So now I am $40,000 in the hole going into my final semester. I had great test scores and a 3.97 GPA in HS. My parent, 2 high school teachers, made just about $1000 too much for me to be eligible for federal help, then when my mother had to retire for medical reasons and was forced to take 1/2 of her retirement pay per year, I was going to be able to get help, but then Bush cut the federal help to college kids, so I was once again shit out of luck.

Now I get to graduate with a major in Philosohpy and $40,000 mountain of debt. I always planned to teach HS for a year or 2 after college to pay back loans and relax, but now with jobs the way they are, I might be ****ed. So now I have to start looking into grad schools so that I can get a masters in something so that I can get into a top 20 school for philosophy to get a phd... that is the nature of my major. So, if I go right on to masters school without getting a full timejob to pay back loans, I will be well over $100,000 in debt before I start my 3-5 years of doctoral studies. I feel pretty ****ed right now.

What about a teaching assistantship?

This doesn't work for all fields, but in some, yours included, one should have the ability to go to graduate school without coming out of pocket. Not saying that you might not have to live close to the vest, but...

bowener
01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
There are a lot of high school English teachers that simply do not prepare students for college. I see all kinds of appalling shit at my university's Writing Center, where I tutor.

My mom currently teaches 1 semester a year in the English department of a Mo-state University, specifically teaching kids that GOT IN TO COLLEGE how to read. She is basically teaching them up to about a 7-8th grade level of reading so that they can function (at a minimum) in college. Most of these kids come from the inner city, where they were passed along to the next grade so that the school would not be reprimanded for low test scores and flunking students. One of the best things to happen after inauguration is going to be the removal of No Child Left Behind.

bowener
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
What about a teaching assistantship?

This doesn't work for all fields, but in some, yours included, one should have the ability to go to graduate school without coming out of pocket. Not saying that you might not have to live close to the vest, but...

Yeah, I can probably get one. But, then I am still starring at a massive amount of debt. I am also going to be moving to Chicago, so the roughly $15,000 I get in assistance will barely cover rent and food, which I guess is all that I need. Also, though, there is probably going to be a spike in kids applying for those positions.

A plus for me, is that I want to move to Chicago, and Obama will probably dump a ton of money in the cities, especially Chicago. He also wants to bring back a similar idea that my mom got help from in the 60's and 70's. If you go into teaching k-12 right out of college, your student loans are automatically deferred, and in some cases the government will help you pay them back.

Basically, it would be a national program just like Teach for America, only a majority of newly hired teachers would be helped, instead of a select few.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I can probably get one. But, then I am still starring at a massive amount of debt. I am also going to be moving to Chicago, so the roughly $15,000 I get in assistance will barely cover rent and food, which I guess is all that I need. Also, though, there is probably going to be a spike in kids applying for those positions.

A plus for me, is that I want to move to Chicago, and Obama will probably dump a ton of money in the cities, especially Chicago. He also wants to bring back a similar idea that my mom got help from in the 60's and 70's. If you go into teaching k-12 right out of college, your student loans are automatically deferred, and in some cases the government will help you pay them back.

Basically, it would be a national program just like Teach for America, only a majority of newly hired teachers would be helped, instead of a select few.

But that's the thing, no debt. A teaching assistantship, in addition to the nominal salary it provides, also waives your tuition and the majority of your fees. As I said, it should be *possible* to get through graduate school without taking out additional loans.

Admittedly, it's tougher to get accepted to a school with funding, but it's well worth it. Send out lots of applications, and be flexible about where you go.

KCTitus
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Typo Grammar = acceptable

'gainda' = fail

bowener
01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
But that's the thing, no debt. A teaching assistantship, in addition to the nominal salary it provides, also waives your tuition and the majority of your fees. As I said, it should be *possible* to get through graduate school without taking out additional loans.

Admittedly, it's tougher to get accepted to a school with funding, but it's well worth it. Send out lots of applications, and be flexible about where you go.

Are you talking about a graduate school assistantship? That would pay me $15,000 a year for my 'job' as a student teacher, and since I am an employee of the Univ. my tuition is waived (most of it at least). I would only get the $15,000 to live on per year. That is much more than I am used to, but living in como is far cheaper than Chicago. If you are talking about something different, please inform me, I need all the help/info/tips I can get.

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
My mom currently teaches 1 semester a year in the English department of a Mo-state University, specifically teaching kids that GOT IN TO COLLEGE how to read. She is basically teaching them up to about a 7-8th grade level of reading so that they can function (at a minimum) in college. Most of these kids come from the inner city, where they were passed along to the next grade so that the school would not be reprimanded for low test scores and flunking students. One of the best things to happen after inauguration is going to be the removal of No Child Left Behind.
Amen to that; NCLB has been an unmitigated disaster.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Are you talking about a graduate school assistantship? That would pay me $15,000 a year for my 'job' as a student teacher, and since I am an employee of the Univ. my tuition is waived (most of it at least). I would only get the $15,000 to live on per year. That is much more than I am used to, but living in como is far cheaper than Chicago. If you are talking about something different, please inform me, I need all the help/info/tips I can get.

It's called a teaching assistantship and they are awarded by an individual department, philosophy in your case. TA's waive tuition and fees. It's part of the deal.

There are graduate school fellowships, which are more money and less teaching responsibilities, but this shouldn't be your primary focus since departments decide which applicants will be considered for these awards.

When you're researching graduate schools, look at the department's link for funding. Not sure if all programs have TA's in your field.

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
That's what he is talking about.

There are good programs that fully fund, right? Not just partially waive tuition? I'm going through the same shit as you, with grad school applications and such, and I'm making myself very flexible. I applied exclusively to programs that fully fund, i.e., their TAships have a stipend and full tuition waiver.

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
ROFL Dude, you crack me up. What did you say when she called you a "bleeder"?

Basically alot of grumbling under her breath, smacking shit around harder than I'd seen done before, huffing and puffing and stuffing gauze and and fish hooking me in disgust.

Finally, in between her man-sized hands in my lip I said "what is exactly is the problem" and she said something real shitty about "If you'd just stop friggin bleeding so much I could get done"

I couldn't exactly say much at the time with the sasquatches hands in my mouth, and a hole in a tooth.

When she was done, I let her know she was pretty shitty as a dentist, and then I told the receptionist and the people in the lobby that I had just been bitched at for bleeding.

For all I know, she cut me with the drill.

I hope she gets diarhea while wearing white pants while giving a speech to peers about patient relations or something.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:40 PM
That's what he is talking about.

There are good programs that fully fund, right? Not just partially waive tuition? I'm going through the same shit as you, with grad school applications and such, and I'm making myself very flexible. I applied exclusively to programs that fully fund, i.e., their TAships have a stipend and full tuition waiver.

Are some places calling this by a different name? Every institution that I've been a part of identifies this as a teaching assistantship for graduate students...

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Are some places calling this by a different name? Every institution that I've been a part of identifies this as a teaching assistantship for graduate students...
I'm not sure what you are asking.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking.

I was telling Bowener (sp?) about teaching assistantships. He asked if I was trying to describe a graduate school assistant, something I've never heard of.

Thus I asked if some universities are renaming this role for graduate students.

There are teaching assistantships and graduate school fellowships, but I've never heard of a graduate school assistantship.

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I was telling Bowener (sp?) about teaching assistantships. He asked if I was trying to describe a graduate school assistant, something I've never heard of.

There are teaching assistantships and graduate school fellowships, but I've never heard of a graduate school assistantship.
Ah. Well, there are some Graduate Assistantships that programs offer that don't involve teaching. Some examples: at some of the creative writing programs that I am applying to, there are GAships that have students work on the university press' literary journal to earn their stipend/tuition waiver. Here at Northwest MO, my bosses in the Writing Center are graduate students whose GAship has them running the Writing Center in exchange for the stipend/tuition waiver.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Ah. Well, there are some Graduate Assistantships that programs offer that don't involve teaching. Some examples: at some of the creative writing programs that I am applying to, there are GAships that have students work on the university press' literary journal to earn their stipend/tuition waiver. Here at Northwest MO, my bosses in the Writing Center are graduate students whose GAship has them running the Writing Center in exchange for the stipend/tuition waiver.

Oh, very good. This makes sense. Thanks.

cdcox
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM

My university offers graduate teaching assistantships, graduate research assistantships, and graduate assistantships.

GTA - you've already got these covered.

GRA - offered by faculty members who have research funding. Generally limited to fields that are actually useful to society such as science and engineering ;) Also have tuition waiver and stipend.

GA - fits some support role of the university (e.g., computer lab monitor), but not related to a particular class or to research. Also have tuition waiver and stipend.

NewChief
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM

It's easy to blame it on the high school, but when a high school teacher gets the kid, and the kid is at about a 6th grade level, it's pretty hard to get the kid up to snuff.

Unfortunately, it's become so that AP classes are the classes that truly prepare you for college. The rest are just trying desperately to bring the laggers up to pass the tests.

SAUTO
01-12-2009, 08:22 PM
text messaging is ruining our children

Johnny Vegas
01-12-2009, 08:29 PM
text messaging is ruining our children

wht do u men n y?

SAUTO
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
wht do u men n y?

EXACTLY

"Bob" Dobbs
01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Im surprised one of her parents didnt proof read it first?I didn't FYP, because in this context, this is hilarious! ROFL

chasedude
01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
She'll be thrown out of the bottom of the porn industry soon.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I didn't FYP, because in this context, this is hilarious! ROFL

haha....Your right. I fixed it. :)

Delano
01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
haha....Your right. I fixed it. :)

ROFLROFL

[turns on the Rausch search light]

MahiMike
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
We are currently looking at schools for my oldest daughter. When I was her age you needed to have grades, activities, volunteer work etc to be accepted into a good school. Now all it seems that a student needs to get accepted is to properly sign the application.

Wow, where do you guys live? In FL you need a 3.5 to get noticed.

Reaper16
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
The rest are just trying desperately to bring the laggers up to pass the tests.
Yeah, teachers are pretty effing handcuffed to the standardized tests. It's a shame.

bigbucks24
01-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Basically alot of grumbling under her breath, smacking shit around harder than I'd seen done before, huffing and puffing and stuffing gauze and and fish hooking me in disgust.

Finally, in between her man-sized hands in my lip I said "what is exactly is the problem" and she said something real shitty about "If you'd just stop friggin bleeding so much I could get done"

I couldn't exactly say much at the time with the sasquatches hands in my mouth, and a hole in a tooth.

When she was done, I let her know she was pretty shitty as a dentist, and then I told the receptionist and the people in the lobby that I had just been bitched at for bleeding.

For all I know, she cut me with the drill.

I hope she gets diarhea while wearing white pants while giving a speech to peers about patient relations or something.

Dam it. Woke up with wife with laughter. You are killing me. Knock it off. ROFL

bigbucks24
01-13-2009, 02:10 AM

I see and talk to a lot of kids that don't really care about spelling or grammar. They don't feel that they should be judged by their ability to communicate or their appearance. Why should it matter if they can't write neatly or correctly or if they have tatoos or facial peircings. We should judge them solely on their ability to do their job--even if that job requires them to write and have interactions with the public. That sounds great, but the reality of it is that people--all of us--are judged on our appearance and our ability to communicate, both verbally and written.

And I'm sorry if I said something negative about your generation, Demonpenz. Please don't threaten to cut my balls off.

Demonpenz
01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I see and talk to a lot of kids that don't really care about spelling or grammar. They don't feel that they should be judged by their ability to communicate or their appearance. Why should it matter if they can't write neatly or correctly or if they have tatoos or facial peircings. We should judge them solely on their ability to do their job--even if that job requires them to write and have interactions with the public. That sounds great, but the reality of it is that people--all of us--are judged on our appearance and our ability to communicate, both verbally and written.

And I'm sorry if I said something negative about your generation, Demonpenz. Please don't threaten to cut my balls off.

Spelling and grammer are decently important, but not as important as turning a profit for the place you work at. As kids and adults you delt a whole bunch of bullshit, and the bottom line is it all sucks. You are always fed the bullshit don't judge a book by it's cover, don't judge by race, bla bla bla, then all you hear is how it matters the way you look when it comes back to getting a job. I see hypocracy everyone everyday, I hear the same people say, "Race shouldn't matter when getting a job, best one for the job" then turn around and bitch about the way someone looks, and race certainly effects the way someone looks. (yes I know what people are talking about is wearing a tie or suit or whatever, but my point still stands that the way you look is effected by race)
I have seen two or three threads this last week that sent the opposite message but it seems everyone was on board with the idea of the thread. You had the interview thread where no one dressed nice for the interview, I saw a thread about how some of the rich people dressed like crap, then this one.

Demonpenz
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Also I would like to point out that the generation that started getting tatoos in the 80's and early 90's have now gotten middle management positions at both company's I started after college at, so I am seeing more tats and piercings at jobs since the older people are dying or retiring (laid off because they get paid too much)

sedated
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
are you sure she wasn't going to grambling on a basketball scholarship?

Demonpenz
01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
reminds me I can't find my love and basketball dvd anywhere

tooge
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't have a problem with tats at all. I still want one in fact, but haven't found that special something I want on my body the rest of my life yet. Piercings, whatever floats your boat. I run a business and choose to not hire people with piercings that are visible to my patients. I certainly don't avoid businesses that do. I am not a hippie, I grew up in the 1980's, and at one time lived for headbangers ball at midnight on MTV (when they still had music). Demonpenz, you and I may not be as different as you think. Everyone I know including my wife tells me I am a huge redneck. Maybe, I prefer the term eclectic as a live for hunting, fishing, golf, bbq, music, canoe trips, and gardening. In short, I wasn't trying to bash a kid for writing a thank you note. I wasn't trying to make some race or appearance statement. Nor was I trying to make a statement about the youth of today. And, when I say youth, I mean under 20. No, I was simply trying to convey that I thought it was odd that someone was a scholarship recipient on her way to college and they don't even know proper english. My post was more an indictment of the education system than anything you mentioned in your previous posts. Now, if you want to talk about todays youth, and my feelings about that, let me know.

Fish
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Maybe the poor lass wrote a note to your patient inquiring about the "detention office". And in her grammatical folly, the note was interpreted as "dentist office". From there, this whole mess just snowballed and she'll likely go on to a confusingly unfulfilling career as a detention officer....

sedated
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
just admit it, you are a fuking racist

PhillyChiefFan
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I think America is getting dumber and dumber. I read a lot of articles online in between things to do and over lunch and I notice all kinds of gramatical mistakes. Not just mispellings and stuff, but double words or use of the completely wrong word in the sentence.

Direct result of making "everyone special" and all the bs when kids are young. Watch a George Carlin standup, it is SOOO true.

Donger
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I think America is getting dumber and dumber. I read a lot of articles online in between things to do and over lunch and I notice all kinds of gramatical mistakes. Not just mispellings and stuff, but double words or use of the completely wrong word in the sentence.

Direct result of making "everyone special" and all the bs when kids are young. Watch a George Carlin standup, it is SOOO true.

You spelled "misspellings" and "grammatical" incorrectly.

88TG88
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
You spelled "misspellings" and "grammatical" incorrectly.

ROFLROFLROFL

Fairplay
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't feel like reading all through this.

Cliff notes please?

Steron
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
/Cloaking shield off

The gesture really was nice. She should be commended for actually taking the time to jot down a few words thanking you for allowing her to come into your office and let her observe. I am certainly a product of a different generation than her but there is no way I would have sent the note like that. At the very least she should have redone it to remove the scratched out part.

I am a member of several message boards. All of them with a membership base that covers the gamut of race, religion, education level, and age. I find it very interesting the number of people that misuse 'your' and 'you're'. 'Alot' is frequently spelled incorrectly. I know there are others but those are the two that came to mind as I typed this. I don't know if it's laziness or just that people are in a huge hurry and don't proof read as they should.

In my case, I often make the mistake of leaving typos in my posts and then editing them out right after I hit submit. It's just a pet peeve of mine to make sure my posts have the grammar and spelling correct to the best of my ability.

/Cloaking shield on

Demonpenz
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't have a problem with tats at all. I still want one in fact, but haven't found that special something I want on my body the rest of my life yet. Piercings, whatever floats your boat. I run a business and choose to not hire people with piercings that are visible to my patients. I certainly don't avoid businesses that do. I am not a hippie, I grew up in the 1980's, and at one time lived for headbangers ball at midnight on MTV (when they still had music). Demonpenz, you and I may not be as different as you think. Everyone I know including my wife tells me I am a huge redneck. Maybe, I prefer the term eclectic as a live for hunting, fishing, golf, bbq, music, canoe trips, and gardening. In short, I wasn't trying to bash a kid for writing a thank you note. I wasn't trying to make some race or appearance statement. Nor was I trying to make a statement about the youth of today. And, when I say youth, I mean under 20. No, I was simply trying to convey that I thought it was odd that someone was a scholarship recipient on her way to college and they don't even know proper english. My post was more an indictment of the education system than anything you mentioned in your previous posts. Now, if you want to talk about todays youth, and my feelings about that, let me know.

I am sure we aren't far off. I always post in a sarcastic hyperbole type of way to entertain myself. As my english teacher liked to say, it's all grood in the hood

bigbucks24
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Spelling and grammer are decently important, but not as important as turning a profit for the place you work at. As kids and adults you delt a whole bunch of bullshit, and the bottom line is it all sucks. You are always fed the bullshit don't judge a book by it's cover, don't judge by race, bla bla bla, then all you hear is how it matters the way you look when it comes back to getting a job. I see hypocracy everyone everyday, I hear the same people say, "Race shouldn't matter when getting a job, best one for the job" then turn around and bitch about the way someone looks, and race certainly effects the way someone looks. (yes I know what people are talking about is wearing a tie or suit or whatever, but my point still stands that the way you look is effected by race)
I have seen two or three threads this last week that sent the opposite message but it seems everyone was on board with the idea of the thread. You had the interview thread where no one dressed nice for the interview, I saw a thread about how some of the rich people dressed like crap, then this one.

Thanks for responding. You make some good points, though I don't see the world as dark as you do. Although your appearance should not make a difference, it often does say some things about your and your standards. As far as race goes, I think we have come a long way in ignoring race--however to think that race doesn't come into play in job interviews, relationships and favorite sports figures in nieve. Hopefully when all of us old peole die, your generation will continue the trend and make race even less important. I agree that there are CEO's and executives with long hair, piercings and tatoos, but a vast majority of high ranking people in Fortune 500 companies are clean cut. I doubt that appearance will ever be completely ignored. But then again, what do I know? I'm old.