PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would you give Julius Peppers $80m to come to KC?

Bootlegged
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
And the first rounders? I wouldn't.

Fritz88
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
no fucking way.

Hoover
No, I'd rather draft our DEs

beach tribe
What......The??

kstater
Hell no.

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Hell no

BigMeatballDave
No

noa
Uhno

alpha_omega
Nope, but thankfully that decision will be Pioli's and not mine.

DaneMcCloud
01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
No way in hell.

Lzen
I would like to have Peppers. But not at that ridiculous price.

Crush
Two Words: HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RealSNR
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Tell him we have Scott Pioli.

He'll play here for free

Bootlegged
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Julius Peppers’ future with Panthers undetermined
Pro Bowler becomes unrestricted free agent and Falcons need defensive help
By CHARLES CHANDLER

The Charlotte Observer

Monday, January 12, 2009

Charlotte, N.C. — Julius Peppers drove away into the offseason Sunday with his future with the Carolina Panthers a mystery.

For the second day in a row, Peppers declined to say whether he’d like to remain with the team, and coach John Fox wouldn’t say what preferences Peppers had communicated in their private conversations.

Peppers’ contract is due to expire Feb. 26, making him eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. If the Panthers are unable to sign him to a long-term contract extension before then, they could place their franchise tag on him.

If Peppers is franchised, Carolina could have him play under a one-year tender offer in 2009, as offensive tackle Jordan Gross did this season, or trade him to another team.

Unlike Gross, who made it clear he’d like to remain with the Panthers long-term, Peppers has been careful to avoid making his desires known publicly.

“Ideally, I want to be in the best possible situation for myself and for this organization,” said Peppers. “I’m thankful for everything they’ve done for me.

“I don’t want to leave them crippled or in a bad situation and I don’t want to do that to myself either. Whatever works out best for both sides is what I’m comfortable with.”

The Panthers’ season ended abruptly Saturday night with a 33-13 home playoff loss to Arizona.

Peppers had a career high 14.5 sacks during the regular season and was selected to his fourth Pro Bowl. He came within one vote of being a first-team Associated Press all-pro.

Fox praised Peppers for not letting the contract situation become a distraction this season and didn’t express concern that Peppers was being publicly noncommittal about his future with the team..

“Julius, who I’ve got the utmost respect for, is a private person,” said Fox. “He’s a different person than other people. It’s a process. He’s fairly private with the process. I’ll live with that. I’ve got no complaints with Julius. I’ve got no questions with his commitment. This is the business part of it.”

Asked whether he knows whether Peppers wants to stay or go, Fox said: “I think those things are between me and Julius. … Hopefully, it works out.”

Fox said it’s important for the Panthers to keep Peppers, Gross and all their core players.

Peppers, who turns 29 next Sunday, said money isn’t a key factor in determining where he’ll play in future seasons.

“Of course, I want to win,” he said. “I want to win a Super Bowl. That’s the ultimate goal in this game. That’s why we play. I want to be on a great team. I want to be around great guys and I want to be with a great organization.

“It’s not about money. It’s not about any of that kind of stuff. It’s just about being happy.”

However, because of Peppers’ lofty market value, he’s expected to become the highest paid defensive player in league history with a multi-year deal averaging at least $13 million per season.

Franchising Peppers without a new contract would require the Panthers to pay him around $17 million for the 2009 season.

Peppers grew up in Bailey, North Carolina, east of Raleigh, played college football at North Carolina and has spent his seven-year NFL career with the Panthers. But he dismissed the notion that he’s ready to move away from home.

“I go other places. I travel,” he said. “I work here and I live here, but I’m not always here, so that’s not really an issue as much as people might make it out to be.”

Peppers acknowledged that, regardless of his wishes, the Panthers control the situation because of their ability to franchise him.

“The team has the authority to do that,” he said. “We know that. I know that. That’s the rules. It’s not really (anything) I can do about it, not saying that it’s a bad thing either. It’s just how it is.”

Asked whether he would play for Carolina with a franchise tag, Peppers said, “I don’t think I would have an option.”

One option could be a holdout to protest being franchised, or to try to force a trade.

“I don’t think that’s how you do business,” said Peppers. “But I guess we’ll see if it happens.”

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
f*ck no

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
no picks!!!!!!!!

BWillie
01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes. If we wouldn't have signed LJ and Gonzo we it wouldn't matter. We could waste money on whatever we wanted.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Yes. If we wouldn't have signed LJ and Gonzo we it wouldn't matter. We could waste money on whatever we wanted.

Hell, we still can. Especially after Pioli trims the roster.

JamSec128
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
No way...

Reaper16
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
This is an easy "no."

Micjones
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Uh...no.

BossChief
01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I would rather dangle that pick in front of the Chargers face to see if we could lure in Merriman to play RDE for us.

Adept Havelock
01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Not a chance.

Chief_in_Commander
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Neither peppers or us would want that to take place

DJ's left nut
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Haynesworth -- Yes

Peppers -- No

At 29, he probably only has 2 elite seasons left in him (if that). I'd consider the contract, but not surrendering the picks.

ModSocks
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
13 Mill a season? Fuck that. He can stay in Carolina.

warrior
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
NO THANKS

kaplin42
01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
"Would you give Julius Peppers $80m to come to KC? "

Hell NO!!!!