PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli will want to win NOW

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
He's going to have to use FA to do it. Philosophies anyone?

Mine: Bart Scott MLB free agent Ravens
Channing Crowder? Got to have a stud in the middle, our second biggest need.

Draft: move down round one, get xtra pick (only move as far as 8) and still get quality DE pass rusher.

Second round: DE or quality OL- whichever is best at his position.

We can no longer simply pick the best athlete left on the board, we must draft for need.

This obviously means I trust Thigpen vs a veteran QB competition.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd rather get Akin Ayodele than Channing Crowder.

Bart Scott is solid, but he'll get overpaid and he's overhyped playing with Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, Samari Rolle, etc.

Direckshun
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Pioli, for all his trades and FA wizardry, understands that you win through the Draft.

I expect Pioli to continue Herm's trend of stockpiling draft picks.

Basileus777
01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I honestly don't think Pioli will go out and sign free agents to win now. From what I've read, one of the issues with him in Cleveland is that Pioli wanted to blow up the team and Lerner wanted to win now.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Eh I don't think you try to build a winner in the snap of a finger most teams built that way aren't built for the long haul...

We have no idea what they're going to do we may not even be running the same defensive system which completely changed this whole idea of needing a DE.

SPATCH
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
if bradford and sanchez both don't declare and stafford doesn't fall to us then, sure, trade down... but if we have a chance to draft stafford or sanchez, we better fucking take it

beavis
01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
We can no longer simply pick the best athlete left on the board, we must draft for need.

I think that's kind of crazy. We've got too many holes to fill to be drafting for need.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Eh I don't think you try to build a winner in the snap of a finger most teams built that way aren't built for the long haul...

We have no idea what they're going to do we may not even be running the same defensive system which completely changed this whole idea of needing a DE.

Eh I didn't say rebuild through FA guys. There are important spots to be filled and they can't all be through the draft.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Also the Chiefs are bad enough to take the best player......drafting for need is generally a pretty stupid thing to do.

Basileus777
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Also the Chiefs are bad enough to take the best player......drafting for need is generally a pretty stupid thing to do.

Even if Andre Smith is the best player?

Need should play a certain role.

Rick
I think that's kind of crazy. We've got too many holes to fill to be drafting for need.

Spots? Specifically we need MLB, DE, OL more than a athletic TE ?
We have an offense in place and a pretty good young secondary on defense--what else to fill (kickers not included)

RB's are a dime a dozen and we now have some receivers, Thigpen is better at his position than most of the front seven on defense is. I just think we are not as far away as most people think, damn optimist me,

Ebolapox
I'm pretty sure he's seen how important a QB and the correct system (where a QB can flourish) really are. I hope like hell that stafford falls to us and we (wisely) take him.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh great this morphed back into how Thigpen is good enough, kill me now.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Spots? Specifically we need MLB, DE, OL more than a athletic TE ?
We have an offense in place and a pretty good young secondary on defense--what else to fill (kickers not included)

RB's are a dime a dozen and we now have some receivers, Thigpen is better at his position than most of the front seven on defense is. I just think we are not as far away as most people think, damn optimist me,

We have the worst front 7 in football, need a new right side of the OL, a QB and an improved WR corps.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Even if Andre Smith is the best player?

Need should play a certain role. This is my point.

the Talking Can
01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
He's going to have to use FA to do it. Philosophies anyone?

Mine: Bart Scott MLB free agent Ravens
Channing Crowder? Got to have a stud in the middle, our second biggest need.

Draft: move down round one, get xtra pick (only move as far as 8) and still get quality DE pass rusher.

Second round: DE or quality OL- whichever is best at his position.

This obviously means I trust Thigpen vs a veteran QB competition.

where does this nonsense come from?

RealSNR
We need Pioli now more than ever. We were lucky to land him this offseason.

This draft is full of solid players, but no one guy sticks out from the rest. And they can't ALL be superstars. I'm incredibly excited to have a guy like Pioli doing the picking instead of Carl and company

Mecca
Look the Andre Smith thing is a fine point, positional value plays in but don't tell me the Chiefs have to without a doubt take a defensive end because this team needs a QB worse than anything.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh great this morphed back into how Thigpen is good enough, kill me now.
U r the only one morphing.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:32 PM
U r the only one morphing.

You said Thigpen is better than the Chiefs front 7....which basically isn't true they are about equally as bad.

Basileus777
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
You said Thigpen is better than the Chiefs front 7....which basically isn't true they are about equally as bad.

Saying Thigpen is better than our front seven is just about the most damning praise possible.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Saying Thigpen is better than our front seven is just about the most damning praise possible.

While true, he used it in a way to say QB isn't that pressing of a need.

philfree
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM

No matter what defense we run we'll need to upgrade at DE. As far as the long haul is concerned the Patriots have done pretty well in the long haul and they brought in plenty of FAs. We have plenty of young talent and if things go good we'll add some more in the 2009 draft but we are so young that we need a FA or two shore up a position or two and to also add experience. This team should start trying to put it all together in 2009 and win all the games they can. It goes both ways though. Some teams seem to always be building for the long haul but they never start winning and other teams put all they can into every season trying to build/buy a winner but they only end up middle of the road and underachieve. It takes a balance but you can never go into a season thinking it's o.k. to lose because you're rebuilding. I guess for the long haul a team must make good decisions regarding players in the draft and free agency yearly.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
We have the worst front 7 in football, need a new right side of the OL, a QB and an improved WR corps.

I agree, but prioritizing them I would put OL and QB behind the defensive front seven as far as what would help us compete most NEXT year, if anybody thinks Pioli won't want to succeed right away you are crazy- not you DakCMan, simply stating he won't go for rebuilding squat and allowing a four or five win season and saying that's improvement, to get what he wants he MUST use FA for specific need spots and the draft (it can't just be one or the other if you want to succeed as quick as what Pioli will want)

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:39 PM

no wonder everyone is switching to different sites except the same ol guys! U R 2 smart for everyone else

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM

So Thigpen set all kinds of crappy records? Where did he rank in QB's versus our D?

FringeNC
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Of course he'll want to win now. a good GM and HC can turn around a franchise on a dime.

Danman
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
I think we're gonna see free agent signings but not very many big names. Look for guys that are out of their highest pay days are behind them but are still productive. Pioli brought in 23 free agents in one of his first years there. We need some professionals to teach our young roster how to win.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Records? he didn't set any records unless playing a college gimmick offense in the NFL is a record...

QB is the most important position on a team and we don't have one so that takes priority over everything else.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
No matter what defense we run we'll need to upgrade at DE. As far as the long haul is concerned the Patriots have done pretty well in the long haul and they brought in plenty of FAs. We have plenty of young talent and if things go good we'll add some more in the 2009 draft but we are so young that we need a FA or two shore up a position or two and to also add experience. This team should start trying to put it all together in 2009 and win all the games they can. It goes both ways though. Some teams seem to always be building for the long haul but they never start winning and other teams put all they can into every season trying to build/buy a winner but they only end up middle of the road and underachieve. It takes a balance but you can never go into a season thinking it's o.k. to lose because you're rebuilding. I guess for the long haul a team must make good decisions regarding players in the draft and free agency yearly.

PhilFree:arrow:

Thank you, this was my only point. You must be a true fan, stated better than I.

Agent V
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Madden 09 Franchise Mode.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I think we're gonna see free agent signings but not very many big names. Look for guys that are out of their highest pay days are behind them but are still productive. Pioli brought in 23 free agents in one of his first years there. We need some professionals to teach our young roster how to win.

Someone does there research.

Rick
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Records? he didn't set any records unless playing a college gimmick offense in the NFL is a record...

QB is the most important position on a team and we don't have one so that takes priority over everything else.

Defensive rankings were awful and broke records not meant to be proud of, how did Thigpen rank------you said they were even--no, look at rankings,

kcpasco
01-13-2009, 08:55 PM
You think Pioli might bring in a 3-4 defense?

What would that do with Dorsey?

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Defensive rankings were awful and broke records not meant to be proud of, how did Thigpen rank------you said they were even--no, look at rankings,

"The most important position on the team is quarterback, and it's probably time to find a replacement for Bobby Layne," said Schwartz, referring to Detroit's Hall of Fame quarterback from the 1950s. "Quarterback is the trump card of all positions in the NFL. If you've got a great quarterback, you can cover up a lot of other areas on your team. If you don't have a great quarterback, you've got to be really good in a lot of other areas."

I know how Thigpen ranked, he throws a fluttery deep ball and completes 54% in a gimmick offense that is suppose to make completing passes easy..

You don't pass on a QB because of Tyler fuckin Thigpen and if you do you're brain fell out.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2009, 08:56 PM

He was 27th in QB rating. The guys behind him were Gus Frerotte, Dan Orlovsky, Marc Bulger, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Derek Anderson.

Impressive.

reiko57
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Madden 09 Franchise Mode.

omfg LOL

/back to lurking

Mecca
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
He was 27th in QB rating. The guys behind him were Gus Frerotte, Dan Orlovsky, Marc Bulger, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Derek Anderson.

Impressive.

Yea Thigpen is the man!

DeezNutz
01-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Impressive.

Exactly. Bulger and Anderson have been Pro-Bowlers. What else does Thigpen need to prove?

MGRS13
01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Yea Thigpen is the man!

This. i'd have to say pioli all ready has a plan in mind about the QB spot, and I don't think it has Thigpen in any more then a backup role. From what I've read about the guy he does a lot of his own scouting so I'd think he knows who he wants to target in the draft or pilfer from someone else's roster. Lets all remember Farve wasn't drafted by the packers he was traded for by a coach who had his eye on him by doing his homework.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Exactly. Bulger and Anderson have been Pro-Bowlers. What else does Thigpen need to prove?

ROFL