PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Something to think about (Pioli)

cdcox
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I think one of the reasons the Pats were successful is that they did it their way, instead of the NFL cookie cutter way.

They went after their kind of player, and often times those players weren't in the greatest demand. They signed only a few big name FAs. They look for lunch pail guys that are big, fast, smart, tough, dedicated yada yada. Sounds like a rare breed in today's NFL. Yet they can be relatively cheap compared to the ego driven superstars.

So now that there are two teams that are going to be fighting over that style of player, is the supply going to be able to keep up with the increased demand? Or are the Pats and Chiefs going to end up fighting over the same FA players, drive their price up, or split them between the two teams, so that neither team can develop a critical mass of those kinds of players?

Not saying this will happen, but worth thinking about.

"Bob" Dobbs
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Was it the Pats going after those players or was it Pioli?

boogblaster
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Yep the Pats pick smart tough players that know their Zones Routes Strengths and Opponents ...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I think serveral other teams have done it their way too and had quite a bit of success getting the right players to help them. After all in Pioli's 9 years in NE they won the SB 3 times right? So 6 times they got trumped by other teams. The Patriot way isn't the only way to win.

Zouk
What do you mean 2 teams?

Throw in the Browns, Broncos, and Dolphins too. They all come from the same school now and will also look for similar players.

To me this is an argument against going to a 2 gap 3-4.

The Bad Guy
Did the Falcons have the same problem?

The thing is, the Patriots have a lot of the players already in spots we need to fill. They aren't going to be competing to sign a WR, QB, DE, or OL. They have those positions in place. What they will go after is a corner, safety, DT, and RB.

DaWolf
01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
It depends who is the head coach. Pioli's job is going to be getting a head coach in place that shares his vision and helping him succeed by getting him the best players for that particular coach to win with.

Since every team already has a base of players to work around, every team is going to have different holes. So it is unlikely that all Patriots affiliated teams will fight over the same players. Pioli's job is to construct a team that will be geared to match up well with the other AFC West teams and win in this division...

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think we have to worry about it too much. Before, we were looking for the combine stud, like most other NFL teams. Now there will be a few teams like us that look at the players' background instead.

Now....ten years from now...who knows...?