PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Herm isn’t the right fit for the Pioli way

FringeNC
01-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Herm isn’t the right fit for the Pioli way (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/981974.html)

Dear Scott Pioli:

Hi, I’m Jason Whitlock, assistant general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The title is unofficial and self-anointed. I acquired it in the fall of 1994 when I arrived here and it became clear the Chiefs’ front office was in need of my particular brand of football insight, which is mostly limited to Jeff George returning my phone calls.

In my role as assistant GM, I offer the real general manager — which would be you, thanks to Clark Hunt — unsolicited advice, vicious criticism and occasional humorous observations.

I know it’s just your first day at work here in KC, but I have a job to do, bills to pay and readers to please and irritate.

Go ahead and serve Herm Edwards his walking papers this morning.

I know Clark Hunt wants you to spend a day or two getting to know Coach Edwards. Hunt wants you to give Herm a fair hearing and consider keeping him for at least another season. It would save Clark $4 million and allow him to sleep easy knowing he gave a good football coach a fair chance at success.

But you weren’t hired to be fair. You were hired to build a competitive football team. And to do that, you believe you have to instill this organization with the mind-set and culture that permeates the New England Patriots.

You can’t do it with Herm Edwards. No how. No way. Can’t do it.

That is not a slam on Edwards. The Patriots Way is not the only way to win football games in the NFL. In the right situation, Edwards can be an effective football coach.

For what you’re trying to do, he would be a total disaster. Keeping Edwards would undermine your message to the players in the locker room and the fans who buy tickets.

Edwards is the anti-Bill Belichick.

Edwards is Barack Obama, a politician concerned with media and public perception. Belichick is Jack Bauer, a ruthless mercenary who deals with everyone on a need-to-know basis. Edwards’ main concern is his own survival. Belichick’s lone concern is the completion of the mission.

Again, I’m not bad-mouthing Edwards. Surely you know enough about football that you understand most coaches have a similar philosophy: Every employee’s goal should be to do everything within his/her power to make sure the current head coach keeps his job.

That’s not the Patriots Way. The culture you talked about creating at your introductory news conference can’t be done with a head coach who will spend the entire 2009 season consumed with surviving.

Edwards can’t adopt your philosophy after spending five years in New York and three years in Kansas City shaking hands and kissing media babies. The New York media loved Edwards right up until the day he quit talking to them and took the job here.

We love Edwards here, too. Include me on the list of media members who like, respect and appreciate Herm. He’s a great quote. He’s transparent. He’s helpful.

Would Bob Ryan or Michael Smith or Michael Holley — prominent Boston media personalities — ever describe Belichick as a great quote, transparent and helpful?

Again, I don’t believe Belichick’s way is the only way to win football games. But it’s what you believe in. You believe in a tight, secretive, Mafialike relationship between the owner, the general manager and the head coach.

I don’t see you developing that with Herm. You’d have to give the guy a new five-year contract for him to have the incentive to buy into that kind of relationship.

Is giving Herm a new contract the first thing you want to put on your Kansas City resume?

Be respectful, be gentle, but get it over. Give Herm a pink slip, $4 million and thank him for his contribution.

If you are unable to land the head coach you desire this offseason, if Clark Hunt is unwilling to pay Herm $4 million and someone like Steve Spagnuolo $3 million, then have a long discussion with Chan Gailey about coaching the team next season.

Gailey is worth a one-year look more than Edwards. I’m not saying Gailey is a better head coach than Edwards. Gailey is just more of the personality type you desire. He could enthusiastically embrace your approach and easily deal with the consequences if things did not work out.

OK, my letter tomorrow will address Jeff George’s qualifications to be Kansas City’s quarterback of the future.

Sincerely, your assistant general manager,

Jason Whitlock

Lex Luthors
01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
In half of Whitlock's columns he sounds like a total retard. The rest of the time he knocks it out of the park.

This column was a home run.

HemiEd
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
ROFL Come on JWhit, say it like it is. Herm sucks at coaching, but he gives you guys great quotes.

But you were right, his own survival and success, has always been his main concern. Not the team's, and that message has trickled to the players.

The only two game films Pioli needs to watch, the "playoff game" and the last game of this season against Cincinatti. That is enough to tell him what he needs to do with Herm.

Zouk
01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
There's a lot of truth to this with one major exception. If all Herm cared about was winning in the short term to keep his job he wouldn't have advocated trading Jared Allen and playing 15 rookies. And he wouldn't have advocated bypassing Pennington so that he could evaluate Croyle. That part is way way wrong.

Skip Towne
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
If Clark wants to let Herm down easy just transfer him to one of his drilling rigs. Then hope he doesn't throw a pipe wrench down the hole each morning.

Basileus777
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Well said Jason.

ArrowheadHawk
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Is Herm still here?

Damnit Pioli.

TEX
01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
There's a lot of truth to this with one major exception. If all Herm cared about was winning in the short term to keep his job he wouldn't have advocated trading Jared Allen and playing 15 rookies. And he wouldn't have advocated bypassing Pennington so that he could evaluate Croyle. That part is way way wrong.

He sure would - they are built in excuses. Herm knows this.

TEX
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Is Herm still here?

Damnit Pioli.

ROFL :clap:

beach tribe
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM

He had no choice, or say in any of those matters if you ask me. Edwards was Carl's bitch, and Carl is gone. Time for Herm to follow suite.

FringeNC
01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Whitlock got the only bit of information Pioli hinted at during the press conference: the Patriots Way is coming to Kansas City. And once you understand that, you know Herm Edwards will not be the coach next year.

TEX
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
If Clark wants to let Herm down easy just transfer him to one of his drilling rigs. Then hope he doesn't throw a pipe wrench down the hole each morning.

Then blame it on someone else...

crazycoffey
01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
.... You believe in a tight, secretive, Mafialike relationship between the owner, the general manager and the head coach.

I don’t see you developing that with Herm. You’d have to give the guy a new five-year contract for him to have the incentive to buy into that kind of relationship.

wow, this article was totally written for the Herminators here on CP.

Pioli even said he already has a close personal relationship with herm yesterday. That is more than just talking up the incumbent coach at the announcement conference.

JTwhit is just scared, as he and you herm haters should be, because there certainly is a chance that Herm will stay. Not trying to start wars or sig bets, but it's just how I heard what Pioli said about him. I know it's not the popular schtick right now, and I know I can be wrong.

crazycoffey
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM

How come the majority (voiced majority anyway) keep missing this part?

Fritz88
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
JW can write.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
wow, this article was totally written for the Herminators here on CP.

Pioli even said he already has a close personal relationship with herm yesterday. That is more than just talking up the incumbent coach at the announcement conference.

JTwhit is just scared, as he and you herm haters should be, because there certainly is a chance that Herm will stay. Not trying to start wars or sig bets, but it's just how I heard what Pioli said about him. I know it's not the popular schtick right now, and I know I can be wrong.

Fine let him stay CC, it just proves to the fans that we are not serious about winning in the playoffs, let alone ever contending for a superbowl...

Just proves to us that this will be more of the same from the Peterson era... Try to get to 9-7 and HOPE for a playoff spot, then lets make some noise IF we get in...

Actions speak louder than words........... And right now those actions are telling the poeple that spends millions of hard earned cash on the Chiefs, that we could careless about winning, just spend money at the stadium...

smittysbar
01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Fine let him stay CC, it just proves to the fans that we are not serious about winning in the playoffs, let alone ever contending for a superbowl...

Just proves to us that this will be more of the same from the Peterson era... Try to get to 9-7 and HOPE for a playoff spot, then lets make some noise IF we get in...

Actions speak louder than words........... And right now those actions are telling the poeple that spends millions of hard earned cash on the Chiefs, that we could careless about winning, just spend money at the stadium...

Yep, that's what it would convey to me.

Molitoth
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
I like the Jack Bauer ref.

melbar
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
How come the majority (voiced majority anyway) keep missing this part?

advocating trading Jared Allen is exactly why Herm should be gone. You dont trade a 26 yr old cornerstone DE if your building for the future.

crazycoffey
01-15-2009, 10:13 AM

It doesn't say any of that to me, and I'm part of the fanbase....

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Its because you dont want to lose your bet.... :D

Please tell me how you can sell Herm AGAIN to the fanbase and how his gameday coaching will all of a sudden be fixed?

Fish
01-15-2009, 10:18 AM

I'll second that.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll second that.

Please tell me how you can sell Herm AGAIN to the fanbase and how his gameday coaching will all of a sudden be fixed?

Fish
01-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Selling Herm to the fanbase isn't necessary in the slightest. Why do people keep insisting that placating the fanbase is job priority #1? It's not.

And his gameday coaching won't all of a sudden be fixed. But I don't believe gameday coaching is as big of a factor as you make it out to be. More talent, better execution and last season's rookie experience will go a long way to making it less and less of a factor. If you're so talent depleted that you have to rely on the coach to draw up secret mastermind plays just to compete on Sundays, then your problems are much deeper than just gameday coaching.

FringeNC
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

I don't think Pioli gives a damn about selling shit to the fanbase. He cares about recreating the atmosphere and results he had in New England. And no way that happens with Herm Edwards as coach. This team is heading in an entirely different direction, and Herm is does not fit with those plans. No need to worry about it, Herm is gone. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't really understand how and why the Patriots have been so dominant.

Hootie
01-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I'd be ok with Chan Gailey as head coach...at least he's good with X's and O's...more than I can say about Herm.

I'd rather have Spags...and I'd be totally content with Chan back as offensive coordinator...but again, whatever Pioli decides is 100% ok with me.

Chief Henry
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
JW can write.

Yes he can and his message was spot on.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I wonder if KCJohnny will get mad at the Patrizification of the Chiefs.

Micjones
01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Get rid of him and find the HCOTF now.

It's silly to ask first year players from this draft class to adopt one offensive/defensive philosophy then promptly change that all up with the next head coach.

One direction, one vision. Start it now with a new Head Coach.

rambleonthruthefog
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Selling Herm to the fanbase isn't necessary in the slightest. Why do people keep insisting that placating the fanbase is job priority #1? It's not.

And his gameday coaching won't all of a sudden be fixed. But I don't believe gameday coaching is as big of a factor as you make it out to be. .

gameday coaching is a huge factor, one of the biggest. saying that its not as big as a factor as people make it is just plain silly in my opinoin.

StcChief
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
reading between the lines of Clark/Pioli and now JWhit looks like Herm will get at least the AA interview. Then he will be dismissed if one of his buddies is really interested.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM

And his gameday coaching won't all of a sudden be fixed. But I don't believe gameday coaching is as big of a factor as you make it out to be. More talent, better execution and last season's rookie experience will go a long way to making it less and less of a factor. If you're so talent depleted that you have to rely on the coach to draw up secret mastermind plays just to compete on Sundays, then your problems are much deeper than just gameday coaching.

Fair enough Fish, I see we have two different ways of thinking about coaches...

I chose to want a coach that can scheme to get the most out of his players and puts his players in the best position to succeed.. Can adjust his style to this players talent level and still be successful...

You would prefer to have talent so great that it doesnt matter what the coach does or doesnt do, that the talent level will trump the idoicy of that coach and still be successful...

thanks for the replies and debate...

Extra Point
01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
There are at least 3 million reasons for Herm to stay. Clark said this morning that Coughlin was in his last year of his contract in 07-08, and the OR ELSE clause was in effect. What happened that year?

Whitless, get the Hell out of town, with or without Herm. The Chiefs are going to make do this coming season, then Cowher will coach this team the following year.

Cunningham will be gone this time next week.

R&GHomer
01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Whitlock articles typically annoy the crap out of me, but way to go on this one. I totally agree with his take on what Pioli said during yesterday’s news conference. He’s bringing the patriots way to KC and Herm just doesn’t fit. I am 1,000 percent sure Herm is gone, NO doubt whatsoever.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
There are at least 3 million reasons for Herm to stay. Clark said this morning that Coughlin was in his last year of his contract in 07-08, and the OR ELSE clause was in effect. What happened that year?

Whitless, get the Hell out of town, with or without Herm. The Chiefs are going to make do this coming season, then Cowher will coach this team the following year.

Cunningham will be gone this time next week.

Cowher's big fucking chin and ego will not coexist with a GM of the level of Scott...

Why the love for the retreads?

Hammock Parties
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
There are at least 3 million reasons for Herm to stay.

FUCK YOU

Basileus777
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Herm's poor gameday coaching isn't even his worst flaw. Herm isn't capable of preparing a team throughout the week and having them ready to play on Sundays. There is a reason Herm's teams often look lost in games. Herm's a good motivator, but it takes more than that to prepare a team.

The most dangerous things about keeping Herm for another year is that if we somehow overachieve next year, it becomes very difficult to let him go. One fluke season could easily saddle us with Herm for a few years. Herm isn't a championship coach, and keeping him for a year does nothing but hold this team back.

MahiMike
01-15-2009, 12:14 PM
In half of Whitlock's columns he sounds like a total retard. The rest of the time he knocks it out of the park.

This column was a home run.

I dunno. A double maybe.

Fish
01-15-2009, 12:17 PM
gameday coaching is a huge factor, one of the biggest. saying that its not as big as a factor as people make it is just plain silly in my opinoin.

Really? One of the biggest factors?

So you think if we would have had a different head coach this season, the different coach could have made a difference simply by calling a different play here or there(which is actually the coordinators' jobs), or telling the players to tackle better, or yelling at them differently at halftime? You really think that was what was holding the team back this year? The biggest factor?

crazycoffey
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

gameday had less than steller points, concerns valid. But I saw improvement on that most (MOST) of last year. your first point? - what's to sell again? He was sold to us, most anyway - I know there were a few that hated him from the start, but the rest of the "flip floppers" came about from this year. And at the begininng of this year we ALL KNEW we would have a bad year, but we were going to be playing a lot of young players, we were going to know for sure about Brodie, Albert, Flowers, Dorsey were all supposed to get play time and learn invaluable lessons about playing in the pros. And the majority of us were ok with that.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh boy Fish...

I am ducking on this one.... Dear Lord, that should cause the wrath of NFL Gods to not look kindly on us for that post...

Otter
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Really? One of the biggest factors?

So you think if we would have had a different head coach this season, the different coach could have made a difference simply by calling a different play here or there(which is actually the coordinators' jobs), or telling the players to tackle better, or yelling at them differently at halftime? You really think that was what was holding the team back this year? The biggest factor?

Turn in your football card.

Extra Point
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I hope like Hell I'm wrong about Clark and Scott keeping Herm due to economics, but they won't want to dump $4 million into Herm's lap. If they can negotiate a buyout for a lot less, then great. I just don't see it happening. I want Curl, Herm, Gun, and Priefer gone, as much as anybody else, in that order. Herm will just have to stick around as a high-dollar talent scout, and Pioli will have to tell him that the coodinators will be running the game plays and the clock.

Is Herm's absence going to sell as many seats vs. getting him out of here and taking a $4 Million bath? That may be so:

$4,000,000 / $80/game X 8 games/seat = ~6,300 Herm Hater seats sold

How long is the waiting list?

Fish
01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Fair enough Fish, I see we have two different ways of thinking about coaches...

I chose to want a coach that can scheme to get the most out of his players and puts his players in the best position to succeed.. Can adjust his style to this players talent level and still be successful...

You would prefer to have talent so great that it doesnt matter what the coach does or doesnt do, that the talent level will trump the idoicy of that coach and still be successful...

thanks for the replies and debate...

Yup.

And honestly, which is the more reliable method?

Putting priority on the team(players) first, and concentrating on getting players that are talented and can execute effectively. Players that can be depended on whether there's a coach in their ear or not. Players that can help each other and lead the team on the field with little supervision. Players smart enough to make adjustments themselves and see the game for more than just "Coach says I should stay in this spot".

Or

Putting priority on the coach first, and making sure you have the best teacher to tell everyone else what to do. Relying on the coach to out-think the other team, and to motivate 53 guys accordingly. Expecting 53 guys to do exactly what 1 person says, and do it correctly. It's a trickle down effect, more reliant on those few at the top than the many at the bottom.

I'd rather go with the first option. It's less reliant on single variables. It fosters togetherness and a sense of team. If you focus on the team as a whole, and not just a specific coaching position, then there's less chance of a single breakdown effecting the entire group. If the train is running smoothly enough, you don't have to depend on the engineer. Ideally, you would want something in the middle of these scenarios, but given the option of the two, I'd lean more priority towards the players. Have "coaches" on the field where the action is really happening, and don't worry about the old dudes watching from the sidelines... keep their priority on the practice field on days other than Sunday.