PDA

View Full Version : Football Sources: Rams down to Spagnuolo or Leslie Frazier

Fritz88
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Please delete if a repost..

Really, the pool of good coaches is shrinking.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AufdzUylzKGZ8jwSHh3HZFBDubYF?slug=jc-ramscoachopening011509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Every day I feel we are going to keep Herm simply because there are no other options and to save $4 Ms.

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Two sources with knowledge of the St. Louis Rams’ coaching search said the team expects to announce by Friday that either Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier or New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be named the next head coach.

One of the sources, both of which talked to someone directly involved in the Rams’ search, confirmed a report by Profootballtalk.com that the remaining St. Louis staff was informed it would not be retained by the team, meaning that interim coach Jim Haslett no longer was in consideration for the head coaching job.

The Associated Press reported Thursday evening that Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan also were candidates for the St. Louis vacancy. However, Ryan has been linked in various reports this week to the Jets’ opening, and the two sources that spoke to Yahoo! Sports received strong indications that the candidates were narrowed to Frazier and Spagnuolo.

Frazier’s experience as both a player (he spent six years in the NFL and was a starting cornerback on the 1985 Bears Super Bowl team) and coach (he started the Trinity International University program from the ground up) has impressed administrators.

He also has spent the past 10 years as an NFL assistant coach, including the past two with the Vikings.

As for Spagnuolo, he is considered the mastermind of the blitz and pass rush schemes that allowed the Giants to thwart New England in the Super Bowl last year after the Patriots set an NFL record for scoring in the regular season. Spagnuolo has been an NFL assistant for the past 10 years, including the last two with the Giants. He has worked his way up the coaching ranks since graduating from Massachusetts in 1983.

rocks
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't care how you cut it, 4 mil is a lot cheese! Wonder if they could like demote Herm to water boy or jock washer or something in order to have him just quit???

OnTheWarpath15
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I talked to my contact in the FO today, and they said that they believe Frazier is the choice of GM Billy Devaney, but that others in the organization are concerned about the "perception" the fans will have with the hire - that the Rams were looking for someone they could get on the cheap.

They said they're hoping to make a decision tonight and announce tomorrow.

My contact's money is on Frazier.

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm guessing the Leslie chick is just a Rooney Rule token interview.

Fritz88
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I talked to my contact in the FO today, and they said that they believe Frazier is the choice of GM Billy Devaney, but that others in the organization are concerned about the "perception" the fans will have with the hire - that the Rams were looking for someone they could get on the cheap.

They said they're hoping to make a decision tonight and announce tomorrow.

My contact's money is on Frazier.

You've just earned 2 points in my respectometer scale.

OnTheWarpath15
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
You've just earned 2 points in my respectometer scale.

Thanks, I guess.

My contact has been wrong before, so it's not like it's set in stone.

They actually compared it to last year's draft, where part of the organization wanted Dorsey and another part wanted Long.

It wasn't broken down as to who wanted who, but if I had to guess, Devaney wants Frazier, while ownership wants Spagnuolo.

We'll see.

DeezNutz
01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
They should have gone for Cheryl Swoopes. Lisa Leslie was always overrated.