PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Okay, explain the "Crab Dribble."

Direckshun
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Watching the Cavs play the Bulls on TNT right now.

LeBron is massaging the ball around the 3-point line, and darts right by his defender. Once around his defender, he palms the ball with both hands and takes not two, not three, but four steps on his way to the basket.

No whistle, no nothing. Had his shot blocked, but for ****'s sake.

This reminds me of the "crab dribble" fiasco that apparently bubbled up a couple weeks ago when he got called for travelling in a last-second situation trying to win a game.

He called it the crab dribble. Not a lot of people were buying it, but this time apparently the refs have no problem with it?

Help.

OnTheWarpath15
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
One of many reasons why I don't watch basketball.

Officials refuse to call the game by the rules, and it's basically turned into a dunk contest.

Crybaby Power
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
One of many reasons why I don't watch NBA basketball.

Officials refuse to call the game by the rules, and it's basically turned into a dunk contest.

fyp

KCCHIEFS27
01-15-2009, 09:48 PM

Right. And football officials call every Pass Interference/Holding/DELAY OF GAME/etc. penalty all the time.

Spicy McHaggis
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, even other NBA players think LeBron travels a lot. Glad Thomas ate his lunch on that drive.

I can't explain the "crab dribble". Apparently he thinks if he travels while keeping his body perpendicular to the basket it's a no call.

Spicy McHaggis
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Also there was a Darnell Jackson sighting earlier. Rock Chalk.

KCCHIEFS27
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
fyp

I LOVE the NBA..

Crybaby Power
01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkwKGm8eqwc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkwKGm8eqwc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed>

LMAO ffw to the 1:46 mark. Just how in holy blue hell can this NOT be traveling???

Crybaby Power
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Right. And football officials call every Pass Interference/Holding/DELAY OF GAME/etc. penalty all the time.

Only one person can travel and thats the guy with the ball.

Kinda more difficult to call absolutely everything on a football field because theres so much going on at once and there are only 7 refs compared that to 22 players on the field.

DeezNutz
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
It's when your junk leaks a little bit after nailing a skank.

Fish
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Totally thought this was an STD thread....... that would have been more interesting....

KCCHIEFS27
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Only one person can travel and thats the guy with the ball.

Kinda more difficult to call absolutely everything on a football field because theres so much going on at once and there are only 7 refs compared that to 22 players on the field.

Okay? Not a good argument.

Demonpenz
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I noticed sometimes the people are so freakish playing nba that it looks like a walk but it isn't ESPECIALLY ON jump stops. That being said yeah they still do walk alot

kcxiv
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM

It happens in football as well. They miss calls, If they see it as a travel, they usually call it, if they dont see it, it happens. Also, it has NOT turned into a Dunk Contest whatsoever. I can tell you havent been paying much attention to NBA in a while.

DJ's left nut
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
The explanation is simple: It's a travel.

The refs don't call it, they didn't call Shaq's jump stop either. Doesn't mean it's an accepted move.

Kyle DeLexus
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkwKGm8eqwc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkwKGm8eqwc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed>

LMAO ffw to the 1:46 mark. Just how in holy blue hell can this NOT be traveling???

Yep as an Intramural Basketball Official at the prestigous Kansas University, this was a travel. He had the left foot as his plant foot at the end of his "crab dribble" and then took a step, pro hop, step.....whistle 25% of the time in the NBA.

KCCHIEFS27
01-16-2009, 12:35 AM
It happens in football as well. They miss calls, If they see it as a travel, they usually call it, if they dont see it, it happens. Also, it has NOT turned into a Dunk Contest whatsoever. I can tell you havent been paying much attention to NBA in a while.

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to anybody's opinion on here about the NBA..they obviously don't watch it. That is comparable to George Bush calling the shots for the country, he obviously had no idea what he was talking about either..

Crybaby Power
01-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't listen to anybody's opinion on here about the NBA..they obviously don't watch it. That is comparable to George Bush calling the shots for the country, he obviously had no idea what he was talking about either..

We dont watch it because we've seen enough of the bullshit that comes along with it.

Pretty much now it's a playground run n gun flying dunk league which is partially the reason why weve been getting our asses kicked in international play.

|Zach|
01-16-2009, 02:15 AM
We dont watch it because we've seen enough of the bullshit that comes along with it.

Pretty much now it's a playground run n gun flying dunk league which is partially the reason why weve been getting our asses kicked in international play.

Yea, that last olympic team really got shown didn't they...

http://english.people.com.cn/mediafile/200808/24/P200808241723192268057436.jpg

kcxiv
01-16-2009, 02:18 AM

lol, The teams that won the NBA Title the last 3 years have all had rock solid defense. Spursx2 and the Celtics. You wanna go back before that the Pistons won it with Defense as well.

I give you the international thing sort of. Other countries have gotten really good at basketall. Look at any NBA team and they all have Foriengers playing. I will just use the Lakers as an example. Sasha, from Slovania, Radomonvic from Some damned eastern European country. Pau Gasol from Spain, Sun Yue from China.

Other countries have certainly closed the gap, but the US players are still better. They totally dominated at the Olympics this year though. Sometimes they choose the wrong players, they got it right this year and Kobe just owned the star player for the other team in international play. Lebron stepped it up this time too and has carried it into the 09 season. He's been amazing. I will even say right now he's the MVP of the league.

kcxiv
01-16-2009, 02:20 AM

Yep, its a huge double standard. I am sure everyone remembers the Tony G thing in the play offs that the ref's missed. Or how about the Seahawks getting hosed in the Superbowl? We can even go back a few months ago and look at what happend to the Chargers against Denver. NFL is p robably worse as there is only 16 games in a season.

KCCHIEFS27
01-16-2009, 02:22 AM

Okay, this person proves my point...they have NO idea.

KCCHIEFS27
01-16-2009, 02:25 AM

You're probably the guy that would rather watch an Ohio State-Indiana College match-up over a Dallas-Spurs game because the college guys "play harder" :shake:

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Lebron DID get called for travelling on the first quarter...

Goapics1
01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
It's when your junk leaks a little bit after nailing a skank.

ROFL

Uncle_Ted
01-16-2009, 07:26 AM
ESPN needs to do an updated version of "Don't Walk" :D

"Big men you know who you are..."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlpsuq6iABg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlpsuq6iABg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jidar
01-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Okay look you're getting it twisted and it's makin my brain swole.

The crab dribble is legit, it's just dribbling with your back to the defender and then sliding around him. The steps he took had nothing to do with it and should be called.

Here is some discussion on it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpQBD672HkQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpQBD672HkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Crybaby Power
01-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Okay? Not a good argument.

Your argument (if im not mistaken) was that refs miss calls all the time.

In football its because theres so much shit going on all at once.

At least in the NBA, traveling is a call where you just have to focus on the guy dribbling the ball, esp in this case where the traveling is extremely obvious.

Crybaby Power
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
You're probably the guy that would rather watch an Ohio State-Indiana College match-up over a Dallas-Spurs game because the college guys "play harder" :shake:

College games they do play harder. Thats a fact.

But FWIW, Big Ten basketball fuckin sucks.

EyePod
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkwKGm8eqwc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295">

Yep. Traveling.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
come on ... you're comparing watching 5 sometimes 6 blockers going at it with 5 defensive lineman ALL AT ONCE with watching a single guy with the ball?

they let traveling slide ..... especially when its a superstar

no comparison

much harder to keep track of and decide whether 5/6 offensive lineman's hands slid outside the shoulders pad.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Okay, this person proves my point...they have NO idea.

TRUE FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!