PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs special teams will improve in 09

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
ENGLEWOOD — New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continues to make the rounds in search of assistants to fill out his staff.
And the Broncos are expected to make Mike Priefer their special-teams coach if the sides hit no unexpected snags. He has been the Chiefs' special-teams coach since 2006.
The Broncos took a look at Patriots special-teams coach Brad Seely, with whom McDaniels had worked at New England, but Seely is expected to join Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland.
Mangini is another former Patriots assistant. And Seely has been on the Patriots staff for a decade, long enough to be the only holdover from Pete Carroll's time as New England's coach.
Former Broncos special-teams coordinator Scott O'Brien was not retained when Mike Shanahan was fired - O'Brien will replace Seely with the Patriots - so McDaniels has a significant opening to fill.
Priefer has a year left on his contract in Kansas City, but the Broncos are expected to give him the title of special-teams coordinator, so the move would be a promotion and, thus, one Priefer would be able to make.
The Chiefs have given Priefer permission to talk with Green Bay and the Broncos, but he is expected to end up at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex.
Priefer, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, flew helicopters for five years before starting his coaching career. His father, Chuck, was a longtime special-teams coach in the league but is retired and works part time in the NFL's officiating department.
<!-- End story_body -->http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/14/priefer-in-line-to-become-broncos-special-teams/

The Bad Guy
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I can't believe this guy is getting another job.

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
A promotion no less.
Addition by subtraction plus we get to play against his special teams twice a year.

Direckshun
01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

CaliforniaChief
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow...did the Broncos not see any of our special teams play this year? Cool...I can't WAIT to start every drive against them on the 40-45 and have them start every drive inside the 20. Bowlen made a mistake in not getting a GM to put this together.

booger
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Maybe his Pappy Chuck will recommend a good KR, possibly Eddie Drummond. I hear Priefer Jr. keeps in close contact with BJ sams as well.

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Maybe his Pappy Chuck will recommend a good KR, possibly Eddie Drummond. I hear Priefer Jr. keeps in close contact with BJ sams as well.
Could medlock be the next denver kicker?

booger
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Jeff Webb just needs a chance. He will only cost a 6th rd pick as a RFA. He's worth a look. Just ask Priefer. As a KR he won't fumble.

booger
Could medlock be the next denver kicker?

very possible

Reerun_KC

Now watch his ST's just explode up there....

I wouldnt be surprised if they do....

cdcox
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Okay, what's funny is that Denver had terrible special teams last year (as bad as the Chiefs) and their ST coach went to NE.

The post-Pioli Pats are imploding!

Direckshun
01-15-2009, 10:33 PM
This is just cracking me up.

NAME ONE GOOD THING PRIEFER'S DONE HERE.

The punter we have came before his time.
Pollard's been the only stud on STs, and you can't pin us picking him up in the 2nd on Priefer.
We chose Medlock over Folk and Crosby.
We chose Novak over Barth.
We selected Robinson when the guy had a broken fucking leg.
We signed and played Drummond for an entire year.
We signed and played Sams.

Good lord, I love this shit. Eat shit Donkeys.

booger
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
very small payback for GRob

Hammock Parties
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Honestly I think Priefer is terrible but the interview he gave us this year was interesting. Maybe he was just making excuses but he said it's difficult to get young players to play well on special teams. We had so many first and second-year players and most of those guys haven't been on ST since high school or jr high.

I'm glad he's gone but not expecting automatic improvement.

OnTheWarpath15
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
First Gibbs, and now Priefer.

Herm's gone, it's just a matter of time.

If they had any intention of keeping him, they wouldn't be giving his staff permission to interview for lateral moves elsewhere.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
First Gibbs, and now Priefer.

Herm's gone, it's just a matter of time.

If they had any intention of keeping him, they wouldn't be giving his staff permission to interview for lateral moves elsewhere.

Unless Herm is going to try and chuck Carl and all his assistances that leave under the bus to make himself look better...

Herm has zero shame...

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Special teams were so good under marty there were times I thought a blocked kick was going to be our best way to score.
Then having hall with DV to the present state was unbearable.
Things are looking up.

KC4EVER
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Unless Herm is going to try and chuck Carl and all his assistances that leave under the bus to make himself look better...

Herm has zero shame...

These assistant coaches were given permission by Herm, so they were on the way out anyway!

Buehler445
01-15-2009, 11:04 PM
This is just cracking me up.

NAME ONE GOOD THING PRIEFER'S DONE HERE.

The punter we have came before his time.
Pollard's been the only stud on STs, and you can't pin us picking him up in the 2nd on Priefer.
We chose Medlock over Folk and Crosby.
We chose Novak over Barth.
We selected Robinson when the guy had a broken fucking leg.
We signed and played Drummond for an entire year.
We signed and played Sams.

Good lord, I love this shit. Eat shit Donkeys.

This shit still cracks me up. They had to rationalize him being ungodly slow.

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 11:06 PM
These assistant coaches were given permission by Herm, so they were on the way out anyway!
Priefer had to go but gibbs? The cornerbacks were the lone bright spot If herm were coming back he wouldn't want him to go.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 11:06 PM

All assistant coaches were given permission...

RippedmyFlesh
01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
All assistant coaches were given permission...
the Broncos are expected to give him the title of special-teams coordinator, so the move would be a promotion
In this case anyways its a promotion so that makes it kosher I guess
But gibbs wasn't a promotion I don't think.Don't know why it's needed to be here but not with gibbs.
Who knows in the bizaro world that is herm maybe herm didn't want him to leave so they made it a promotion.

Red Beans
01-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Let the Donkeys have him.