PDA

View Full Version : Misc Had to fire my first employee...

Vegas_Dave
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
So in the family business, I have never personally had to deal with any of the hiring/firing personel issues, thats what we have a General Manager of the chain for.

Well, yesterday I popped my firing cherry.

I caught paperwork evidence of an employee who at one time was a full time store manager (now part time because of his school schedule) was stealing (embezzling) from that store.

Best part, I was able to get a full confession out of him and got it recorded on a digital audio recorder WITH his full knowledge that the recorder was present.

Sadly, we can only prove the amount from 4 total invoices. BUT, in the past 12 months, I can prove a total of almost 200 invoices. So the case will likely get pled down to a misdemeanor.

It was satisfying to get the confession though.

Goapics1
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
What was he stealing?

JOhn
01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Felt good didn't it? :D

It just gets easier now ROFL

Dave Lane
01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
I always worried I'd have one completely flip out and have to drop them like a rock. Never did happen so maybe the next one? First 100 are the hardest.

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Hard ass...

Gonzo
01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
You're just giving him the opportunity to succeed elsewhere.

(That's usually what I tell my employees when their getting shit canned.)

JOhn
01-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Hard ass...

Exactly. I bet if he was paid a decent wage he wouldn't have to "supplement" his income. ROFL

Simplex3
01-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I've never had any issues firing people for cause. Fuck them. They did it to themselves and every time they've had ample warning beforehand.

Firing people because the business needs to make cuts to survive is a little different, but I figure it's better to screw up one person's life than it is to keep them around knowing I can't afford them and then closing the business, thereby screwing up everyone's lives.

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Exactly. I bet if he was paid a decent wage he wouldn't have to "supplement" his income. ROFL

If Dave did that, then he couldnt afford to sit around and play on Chiefsplanet all day...

LMAO...

RJ
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Was it because your taxes were raised?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
You should have kicked his ass! And done it in front off the other employees so they'd get the message!

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
You should have kicked his ass! And done it in front off the other employees so they'd get the message!

Violence isnt the answer...

Simplex3
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM

What if the question is "How do I win in a fight?"

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
What if the question is "How do I win in a fight?"

Violence...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I once had to wake a guy up who was sleeping on the table in the break room while he was suppossed to be on the air and almost literally drag him out of the building. That was awesome.

nychief
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
please tell me it was Herm.

blueballs
01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
He'll claim he needed it for crack
you'll get stuck with rehab costs

teedubya
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
It's hard to pay for fake tits, when you have employees stealing from you.

sedated
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
my first firing I was so nervous I could barely talk.

every one after that was like Arie Gold. "Get. The Fuck. OUT!"

Goapics1
01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
my first firing I was so nervous I could barely talk.

every one after that was like Arie Gold. "Get. The ****. OUT!"

How many times you been fired?

crazycoffey
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I've never had any issues firing people for cause. **** them. They did it to themselves and every time they've had ample warning beforehand.

Firing people because the business needs to make cuts to survive is a little different, but I figure it's better to screw up one person's life than it is to keep them around knowing I can't afford them and then closing the business, thereby screwing up everyone's lives.

yeah, I agree with Simplex here, I know they did it to themselves for every fired/terminated employee. Mostly sleeping on duty, warned and caught. See ya.

today I had to inform about 4 people from cut backs mean they will be leaving soon. sucks but there are pros and cons to everything. Good luck vegas_dave

StcChief
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
You should have kicked his ass! And done it in front off the other employees so they'd get the message!a nice note to all why he isn't there... may curb the "insider" shrinkage.

BTW supposedly "shrinkage" is way up everywhere and not just insiders. :shake:
can't afford to buy it..... steal it.

Buehler445
01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Fraud is a very big deal. Very big. I read an interesting statistic that the average fraud case goes 18 months before detection....and that's the ones they catch.

Congrats on bettering your business.

JOhn
01-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Yes but sometimes it's the question. :D

Otter
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
sucks but there are pros and cons to everything

What if you're crossing the street, get hit by a bus, drug for 30 yards on gravel then trapped under it's tire while gasoline leaks out around you and there's a deaf & blind man playing with matches five feet away?

What's the pros to that situation?

tomahawk kid
01-16-2009, 02:29 PM
What if you're crossing the street, get hit by a bus, drug for 30 yards on gravel then trapped under it's tire while gasoline leaks out around you and there's a deaf & blind man playing with matches five feet away?

If you live, you're going to be a rich man.......

Goapics1
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Why the hell would a deaf/blind man be playing with matches in the first place?

crazycoffey
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM

make one hell of an after school movie?

J Diddy
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

smoker with no lighter?

:shrug:

crazycoffey
01-16-2009, 02:32 PM

if one can be a pinball wizard, maybe another can be a famous pyromaniac....

Otter
01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
If you live, you're going to be a rich man.......

The bus is a 1992 old school bus that hippies have been living in for the last six months. They're uninsured and as soon as they hit you they fled the scene leaving you alone with the match wielding senseless man. Every time you try to get his attention by throwing bits of gravel at him he becomes more nervous and lights more matches.

Just saying - maybe there's not pros to every situation. :D

Incredibly bored at work may have something to do with it as well.

J Diddy
01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
if one can be a pinball wizard, maybe another can be a famous pyromaniac....

That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure sets a mean bon fire.

J Diddy
The bus is a 1992 old school bus that hippies have been living in for the last six months. They're uninsured and as soon as they hit you they fled the scene leaving you alone with the match wielding senseless man. Every time you try to get his attention by throwing bits of gravel at him he becomes more nervous and lights more matches.

Just saying - maybe there's not pros to every situation. :D

dude hippies don't drive.

crazycoffey
That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure sets a mean bon fire.

ROFL ! awesome!!!!

Otter
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
dude hippies don't drive.

http://www.haveagroovyday.com/images/byebus01.jpg

JOhn
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM

That would be my guess :shrug:

redsurfer11
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Now he can collect max benefits from unemployment. Hired full-time and switched to part-time = max benefits. Whether you fired him for stealing or not.

Vegas_Dave
01-17-2009, 12:28 AM
It's hard to pay for fake tits, when you have employees stealing from you.

Are you an elephant... cause your memory is just plain sick. :)

J Diddy
01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
http://www.haveagroovyday.com/images/byebus01.jpg

Not only is it not moving but there are no hippies behind the wheel.

Seems hippies can paint cars though.