PDA

View Full Version : Life Question: Dog Zapper Fence

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I spent a day on a bobcat two years ago, moving and grading a lot of dirt next to the house, in the backyard, in order to fix a negative drain issue. The project turned out fantastic and I even managed to get a great crop of grass to grow in all the dirt.

Enter the new Doberman..... :spock:

She seems to REALLY enjoy digging all along the house and has created some rather large holes that I keep having to fill in. She has claws like Dracula, so it only takes her a couple of minutes to dig a hole deep enough, that one would expect to be alble view the core of the earth.

I have tried various techniques to get her to stop, but nothing seems to work. I have seen commercials on TV about the so called invisible fence, that gives the dog a zap if it crosses it. I was thinking this would solve the problem. :hmmm: I would go out there and hang a regular cattle electric fence, but it would be a pain dealing with the wire when trying to mow the grass and the power box would look like hell. Add to that, the fact that the kids would likely want a raise (hazard pay) after catching some unwanted volts during lawn duty, and the undergound route seems to be the way to go.

What I need to know is, do they work, how exactly do they work if they do, how big of a pain in the ass are they to install and any other relavent information you may have on them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Katipan
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Only time I used one was on a guy.

He flopped around and drooled a little.
But they work.

EDIT: It was a collar that zapped when he hit a line...

Lzen
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Antifreeze.

:D

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Only time I used one was on a guy.

He flopped around and drooled a little.
But they work.

EDIT: It was a collar that zapped when he hit a line...

:eek:

seclark
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
i know 2 people who use the buried electric fence.

my cousin, has one to keep in her bull mastiff. she swears on it. gives the beast 2acres to roam.

my friend had one for his black lab...the lab would still run over the fence, get shocked and then REALLY take off running. he'd have to be dragged back home.

i've thought about getting one put in for the bulldog, but he's so damned stupid, i don't think it'd work at on on him.
sec

Crybaby Power
How stupid is your dog or how tolerant is he to pain?

I've seen dogs that just run right through it and dont give a shit if they get zapped or not.

I wouldnt think the installation of one of those would all that difficult.

Fish
I've seen quite a few dogs run straight through the cheaper ones with barely a yelp. Once they figured out where the "line" was, and that they wouldn't get shocked once they made it past that point, it was useless. Good buddy gave up on his after spending a shit ton of money on it. But like I said, he got a "cheaper" one...

Chiefnj2
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
What will stop the dog from digging within the area surrounded by the fence?

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
How stupid is your dog or how tolerant is he to pain?

Very smart (other than digging) and a bit of a wuss. If I threw this thing in about 18 inches from the house, I think it would get the job done, "if they work"

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
What will stop the dog from digging within the area surrounded by the fence?

Extending the zap line next to the fence?

seclark
01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
might try this...
http://www.baerllc.com/?gclid=CKOWnI3Rk5gCFQWcnAodRAUZmg

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
might try this...
http://www.baerllc.com/?gclid=CKOWnI3Rk5gCFQWcnAodRAUZmg

:hmmm:

Chiefnj2
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Extending the zap line next to the fence?

So you already have a fence and he/she is trying to dig under it?

Katipan
01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
:eek:

I like to be the leaver, not the leavee.

Stewie
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought you were worried your dog looked like a llama.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
So you already have a fence and he/she is trying to dig under it?

She hasn't started in on that area, but I could see it happening in the future.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I thought you were worried your dog looked like a llama.

No, but my next one I'm picking up, looks a lot like a bear.

http://www.courageouscaucasians.com/parentspuppies.htm

Donger
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Can't you just train her not to dig?

Bwana
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Can't you just train her not to dig?

I can train a dog to do almost anything, but digging is a bitch. The fence should do the training in this case, that's the point of picking one up.

Chief Henry
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Bwana,

My sister inlaw put an underground fence in for her big MUTT. It works great. She's
had it for about 5 yrs. and has had no problems. When she takes the mutt to the vet
she puts said mutt into back seat of car and then backs out of driveway and the mutt does not get the shock that way.

The mutt has free run of her big yard and its great.

Donger
01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I can train a dog to do almost anything, but digging is a bitch. The fence should do the training in this case, that's the point of picking one up.

Try putting her crap in the holes she digs. She won't dig there ever again.

Stewie
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
No, but my next one I'm picking up, looks a lot like a bear.

http://www.courageouscaucasians.com/parentspuppies.htm

Dang! The picture on the left below the header looks like a bear to me. I've never heard of the breed. Very cool.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Try putting her crap in the holes she digs. She won't dig there ever again.

Tired that, it doesn't work. It has worked with other dogs I have owned, but not this one. She is just hell bent on digging.

Donger
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Tired that, it doesn't work. It has worked with other dogs I have owned, but not this one. She is just hell bent on digging.

Yikes. Dobes are pretty willful. Is she bored?

Bwana
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Dang! The picture on the left below the header looks like a bear to me. I've never heard of the breed. Very cool.

They are rare in the US, but are great dogs.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Yikes. Dobes are pretty willful. Is she bored?

They are very willful and she gets a lot of attention. She just loves to dig.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
A friend of ours installed one of those, and one day their litttle girl put their dog in the baby carriage and drove it outside the perimeter and down the street, yelping all the way.

nstygma
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
i've used the fences and they are good for certain things. for you, i'd say get an electric collar with remote control so you can zap her when she digs. that way you'll be able to target the behavior precisely and break her of it in a few days. everytime she digs, she gets zapped and will learn quick that dig=zap

DeezNutz
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
They are very willful and she gets a lot of attention. She just loves to dig.

Might be possible to create a space for her to exercise her digging kick, while not tearing up your yard.

I know people with terriers who have set up a sandbox (filled with dirt, wood chips, of course) to allow their dogs to satisfy their natural instincts without being obtrusive.

btlook1
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
bwana
I would move it out a little more than 18 inches from the house if it was me. They have to cross the line to get zapped. We put one a pet fence in at my parents several years ago...took 3 of us about 4 hrs but we did a couple of acres. It worked pretty good until the wire went bad on it...probably someones splicing job. I would recommend it for keeping the dogs in the yard...don't know about keeping it from digging next to the house though...likely she will just find a spot in the middle of the yard to dig.
In that case get a cheaper shock collar and monitor her then give her a buzz everytime she digs. If shes a smart dog it won't take her to long to figure out that when she digs she get's buzzed.
I'm using a dogtra 200 model or something like that for my training. You could probably pick one of them up used somewhere on the net for not to much then re-sell it later. I paid about $150 new or so for mine but got a deal on it. I'm betting you could find a cheaper one for under 100 somewhere...Good luck.
Try this http://www.collarclinic.com/ haven't personally used them but have heard good things about them.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
bwana
I would move it out a little more than 18 inches from the house if it was me. They have to cross the line to get zapped. We put one a pet fence in at my parents several years ago...took 3 of us about 4 hrs but we did a couple of acres. It worked pretty good until the wire went bad on it...probably someones splicing job. I would recommend it for keeping the dogs in the yard...don't know about keeping it from digging next to the house though...likely she will just find a spot in the middle of the yard to dig.
In that case get a cheaper shock collar and monitor her then give her a buzz everytime she digs. If shes a smart dog it won't take her to long to figure out that when she digs she get's buzzed.
I'm using a dogtra 200 model or something like that for my training. You could probably pick one of them up used somewhere on the net for not to much then re-sell it later. I paid about $150 new or so for mine but got a deal on it. I'm betting you could find a cheaper one for under 100 somewhere...Good luck.
Try this http://www.collarclinic.com/ haven't personally used them but have heard good things about them.

I have owned thos ebefre adn they work great "If" you can catch them in the act. She knows when I'm home and won't dig. She goes nuts when I leave.

I went and priced out the underground zapper and for a godo one, they started at $229. I said screw that and picked up all the parts for an electric fence for $44 and the power box is small enough where I was able to hide it. I just got done running a three strand "keep the hell out or else" fence and prowered it up. The problem should be solved.

JOhn
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I have owned thos ebefre adn they work great "If" you can catch them in the act. She knows when I'm home and won't dig. She goes nuts when I leave.

I went and priced out the underground zapper and for a godo one, they started at $229. I said screw that and picked up all the parts for an electric fence for $44 and the power box is small enough where I was able to hide it. I just got done running a three strand "keep the hell out or else" fence and prowered it up. The problem should be solved.

The electric fence was going to be my advice.

Worked GREAT at keepinh the dogs away when my shepherd would go into heat. :D

Bwana
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
The electric fence was going to be my advice.

Worked GREAT at keepinh the dogs away when my shepherd would go into heat. :D

Heh, judging from the sound that just came from outside, she just discovered it and it works well. :eek:

JOhn
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Heh, judging from the sound that just came from outside, she just discovered it and it works well. :eek:

ROFL

raybec 4
01-16-2009, 03:14 PM
You could also try sprinkling cayanne pepper around where she digs. They like to sniff first and the pepper is usually a good deterrant.

Bwana
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
You could also try sprinkling cayanne pepper around where she digs. They like to sniff first and the pepper is usually a good deterrant.

I tried that with a lab I had a few years ago and not only was it not a deterrant, but the dog enjoyed eating it. :shake:

stumppy
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I had a 150lb Rot/sheppard mix (Stumppy :D) who liked to roam. I went through a couple of different brands elec. fence power boxes until I discovered the 'Red Snapper'. The ones designed just for dogs and small animals didn't seem to bother him after awhile. The first time he hit the fence charged by the red snapper was his last. Tail between his leggs, running for the house, yelping all the way.

Uh.....I guess I should add that the model I got was also designed for small and large animals and for up to 2 miles of fencing. After I had installed it I decided to take a look at the directions. I was supposed to remove a ...capacitor (I think) from inside the pwr box if it was to be used for anything smaller than a horse. Felt really bad about ole Stumppy getting zapped like that.:D

Bwana
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I had a 150lb Rot/sheppard mix (Stumppy :D) who liked to roam. I went through a couple of different brands elec. fence power boxes until I discovered the 'Red Snapper'. The ones designed just for dogs and small animals didn't seem to bother him after awhile. The first time he hit the fence charged by the red snapper was his last. Tail between his leggs, running for the house, yelping all the way.

Uh.....I guess I should add that the model I got was also designed for small and large animals and for up to 2 miles of fencing. After I had installed it I decided to take a look at the directions. I was supposed to remove a ...capacitor (I think) from inside the pwr box if it was to be used for anything smaller than a horse. Felt really bad about ole Stumppy getting zapped like that.:D

That's what I just put in was the 2 mile model. It was the smallest they had (ag store) and I only have a three strand going 50 feet so it has some juice. Hell, they had models that were good up too 100 miles! :doh!:This thing kicks out 1000 volts and they had models that would kick out 8 times that much for containing bison. (The Jerasic Park mega zapper?)

seclark
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
That's what I just put in was the 2 mile model. It was the smallest they had (ag store) and I only have a three strand going 50 feet so it has some juice. Hell, they had models that were good up too 100 miles! :doh!:This thing kicks out 1000 volts and they had models that would kick out 8 times that much for containing bison. (The Jerasic Park mega zapper?)

just don't drink a few cold ones and step out on the porch to take a leak.:eek:
sec