PDA

View Full Version : Football Report: Spagnuolo gets Rams job

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 01:37 PM
From Bernie Miklasz of the St Louis Post Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=601128&sid=bd8df6d491a4e76332ba303946bc47a5

NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams and Spagnuolo are currently negotiating the terms of his contract and indications are that we can expect the announcement of the hiring later today.

At this time no news conference is planned for Saturday at Rams Park.

Spagnuolo, 49, was the Giants defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008 and came up with the game plan that resulted in five sacks of Tom Brady and a shocking upset of the undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Before that, Spagnuolo learned his trade under acclaimed Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, working as an Eagles defensive assistant from 1999-2006.

Rams GM Billy and Spagnuolo have been friends for many years and that relationship obviously created a trust factor that helped Spagnuolo feel comfortable about taking the Rams job.

Spagnuolo wowed the Rams' brass with a presentation in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Spagnuolo was born in Whitinsville, Mass. and attended Grafton High School, where he is a member of the school’s athletic Hall of Fame. Spagnuolo earned a bachelor's degree in physical education from Springfield College and a master's degree in sports management from the University of Massachusetts. He is a member of the Springfield College Hall of Fame. He's married; wife's name is Maria and she's a native of Philadelphia.

Congrats to Devaney and Rosenbloom.

-B

RustShack
01-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Damn, we are stuck with Herm!

Brock
Huh. I thought Jason Garrett got that job.

Brock

:rolleyes:

MahiMike
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Looks like we're down to the Rat.

RustShack
01-17-2009, 01:41 PM

No he left after his second interview.

OnTheWarpath15

2nd interview, and the media overreacted to it.

RustShack
Looks like we're down to the Rat.

Brian Billick could be another name...

pr_capone
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
DAMMIT CARL!!! :cuss:

RedThat
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM

thats what i thought too.

apparently,

Rams | Devaney insists Garrett not offered coaching job
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:27:19 -0800

Jim Thomas and Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, report St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney insisted that the team's head coaching job was not being offered to Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, even though Garrett arrived in St. Louis Friday, Jan. 16, for a "second interview." Devaney described Garrett's presence in St. Louis as "part of the interview process." Devaney added, "Jason didn't know much about St. Louis, and he wanted to look at the facility. We're not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I'm not even going to say he's the leading guy."

this is from kffl.com

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I hope we interview Jason Garrett.

DeezNutz
WTF is going on?

These last couple of days have been crazy, and this coming week is probably sure to be a whirlwind, too.

the Talking Can
damn, that's the guy i wanted...

OnTheWarpath15
4 years, $11.5M

DeezNutz
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
damn, that's the guy i wanted...

Let's give this a day or two. Maybe he and Schwartz will start fighting over Gun, and we'll be talking about the second bullet (excuse the pun) that we dodged.

RustShack
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope we interview Jason Garrett.

You mean the guy who really under achieved with the talent he has in Dallas? Really sounds like a guy I want to coach a much less talented team.

DeezNutz
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
4 years, $11.5M

I still make more, so I must be better. /Herm/

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
ROFL

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/00E44233BAFE4CAC8625754100192B7A?OpenDocument

So if the Rams do indeed name Garrett as their next head coach, it figures to be a controversial decision. In an Stltoday.com poll asking readers to choose the next head coach out of five finalists, Garrett received only 4 percent of the vote out of nearly 9,000 votes.

As word spread Friday afternoon that Garrett was heading to St. Louis, the Rams' ticket office was flooded with angry calls from fans about his possible selection.

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
You mean the guy who really under achieved with the talent he has in Dallas? Really sounds like a guy I want to coach a much less talented team.

Romo was hurt a good bit, and TO finally worked his magic. Read where Garrett wants to leave because TO has made working conditions so bad.

Nightfyre
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Fuck. Who does that leave us with as options? Shanarat, Ryan, Gruden, Billick, Cowher, Schottenheimer, and Edwards?

Brock
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
****. Who does that leave us with as options? Shanarat, Ryan, Gruden, Billick, Cowher, Schottenheimer, and Edwards?

I will bet Pioli's pick will be a Planet WTF???

Fritz88
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Damn, I was hoping they'd go with leslie

Nightfyre
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM

He's not left with much else.

carlos3652
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
hmmm... weird

Johnny Vegas
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
mothafucka

chiefzilla1501
01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Spagnuolo is one of the only guys on the market that I think will be a slam dunk wherever he goes. Would be a shame to see him go anywhere else.

milkman
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM

We keep hearing Pasqualoni's name pop up these days.

I am now officially on board the Ron Rivera bandwagon, though I know that has about as much chance as me winning the lotto when I don't even buy a ticket.

the Talking Can
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM

yeah, looks like it

which isn't a criticism, i'll assume he knows what he is doing until he proves that he doesn't

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I think Pioli's already got his man, and it's not Herm Edwards. If he was really interested in Spagnuolo or Schwartz, he'd have accelerated the process of showing Herm to the exit sign.

It was rumored quite a bit that Ferentz was his first choice, and who is to say he still isn't?

eazyb81
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a feeling we're going to end up with a no name guy that Pioli is tight with.

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
We keep hearing Pasqualoni's name pop up these days.

I am now officially on board the Ron Rivera bandwagon, though I know that has about as much chance as me winning the lotto when I don't even buy a ticket.

Yep.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/16/1s17chargers-weighing-options-on-LT/?chargers

Saying he had to “look at opportunities,” Ron Rivera nonetheless is pleased to remain the Chargers' defensive coordinator.

“I'm excited to be coming back,” said Rivera, who interviewed Wednesday for the Lions' head coaching job that went to Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz the next day. “It's a good situation. I like what we have in terms of players, and I like the situation with Norv.”

Rivera, under contract for two more years, is not talking with any other teams with head coaching vacancies.

tk13
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I like Spags, I think that's a good hire... but I never understood where the Pioli/Spags connection ever came in. Maybe they have some history I don't know about.

But then again, nobody mentioned Mike Smith, John Harbaugh or Tony Sparano as hot head coaching candidates like these guys and they were all very successful this year. Pioli's not gonna hire someone unless they really click anyway, I'd imagine. He's not one of those guys who's going to be impressed by a big name.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I think Pioli's already got his man, and it's not Herm Edwards. If he was really interested in Spagnuolo or Schwartz, he'd have accelerated the process of showing Herm to the exit sign.

It was rumored quite a bit that Ferentz was his first choice, and who is to say he still isn't?

I agree. He's already made arrangements, or is holding out for 2010.

warrior
01-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Let's hope I just want Herm and his staff gone. :shake:

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Spagnuolo wowed the Rams' brass with a presentation in Los Angeles on Thursday.

-B

hmmm wonder why they were negotiating there?

Brock
01-17-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a feeling we're going to end up with a no name guy that Pioli is tight with.

I'm cool with that.

tk13
I don't really have a problem with that. I think it's more important to have a great GM than a great coach. You can't have a bad coach... but you just need someone who has common sense and can keep the players together, two smart coordinators, and a GM feeding them great players.

It should work out way better than what we've had the last 10 years, a GM clashing with his coaches on draft picks and personnel moves all the time.

OnTheWarpath15
hmmm wonder why they were negotiating there?

That where ownership resides. And they didn't negotiate there, they interviewed there.

Same reason that Pioli interviewed in Dallas.

milkman
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Let's hope I just want Herm and his staff gone. :shake:

The fact that this coaching staff is already looking at other opportunities leads me to believe that Herman fucking Edwards is nearly out the door.

Brock
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
As he said at his press conference, he and the coach need to have a close personal relationship. Not going to be a big name.

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
That where ownership resides.

Same reason that Pioli interviewed in Dallas.

yeo i already knew that, probably why they are going to move the team there. you have NEVER heard rumors of the chiefs to dallas have you? pioli interviewed in dallas to keep it quiet.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
ROFL

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/00E44233BAFE4CAC8625754100192B7A?OpenDocument

LMAO People in St. Louis said, "Hey, it got Carl Peterson fired!"

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 02:29 PM
yeo i already knew that, probably why they are going to move the team there. you have NEVER heard rumors of the chiefs to dallas have you? pioli interviewed in dallas to keep it quiet.

The Rams can't go anywhere for 6 years.

Not sure why you can't seem to accept this.

eazyb81
01-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I should clarify that I wouldn't be pissed or anything if Pioli hires a no name coach, or at least a guy that isn't considered a "hot" candidate right now.

I'm convinced it's much more important for the GM and head coach to be on the same page in regards to strategy, personnel, scheme, etc. We can all list numerous coordinators that were hot head coach candidates that completely flamed out once they had the top job.

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 02:30 PM
The Rams can't go anywhere for 6 years.

Not sure why you can't seem to accept this.

because people keep telling me that they're gone sooner rather than later, lawyers are good at getting out of clauses

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
because people keep telling me that they're gone sooner rather than later, lawyers are good at getting out of clauses

You should start hanging out with smarter "people."

warrior
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
The fact that this coaching staff is already looking at other opportunities leads me to believe that Herman ****ing Edwards is nearly out the door.

Me too. :thumb:

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
You should start hanging out with poorer "people."

FYP. money talks buddy, last time we talked about this you said afaik you and 1 other are the only ones with knowledge about rams moves, a wise man told me once that no matter how much you know you could always know more

Brock
01-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Who cares if the Rams move, not even St. Louis does.

Bearcat
01-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Or maybe Pioli was waiting to see what happened with Spagnuolo, because he knew there wasn't enough time to get him in for an interview before his interview with the Rams?

It's all just speculation, of course, but I don't think Pioli was going to rush something as important as his own contract negotiations just so he could deal with Herm and the coaching carousel, knowing Herm only has a year left on his contract. That said, I knew Pioli wasn't going to run into Arrowhead and start swinging the ax on his first day or two. And if Spagnuolo was first on Pioli's list, Pioli wasn't going to fire Herm on Thursday or Friday knowing Spagnuolo could go to the Rams this weekend.

You could be right in that Pioli might have his man, but he might have been forced to sit back a little and see what happened due to the timing of everything.

I hate Herm as much as anyone, but Herm failing next year is better than making the wrong decision at HC and having to deal with it for the next 3-5 years.

Fritz88
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM

What's so special about Ferentz?

Fat Elvis
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I hate Herm as much as anyone, but Herm failing next year is better than making the wrong decision at HC and having to deal with it for the next 3-5 years.

this

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Or maybe Pioli was waiting to see what happened with Spagnuolo, because he knew there wasn't enough time to get him in for an interview before his interview with the Rams?

It's all just speculation, of course, but I don't think Pioli was going to rush something as important as his own contract negotiations just so he could deal with Herm and the coaching carousel, knowing Herm only has a year left on his contract. That said, I knew Pioli wasn't going to run into Arrowhead and start swinging the ax on his first day or two. And if Spagnuolo was first on Pioli's list, Pioli wasn't going to fire Herm on Thursday or Friday knowing Spagnuolo could go to the Rams this weekend.

You could be right in that Pioli might have his man, but he might have been forced to sit back a little and see what happened due to the timing of everything.

Pioli already has a list of guys he'd want as HC, and that's not going to change between now and next year. Waiting a year to get the guy you want makes no sense to me. Pioli's been building this list in his head for years.

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 03:03 PM
mort just reproted that it's still between spags and garrett

KChiefs1
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Pioli will keep Herm.

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
The only job Garrett is being considered for is OC.

He wants out of Dallas, here's his shot.

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Pioli will keep Herm.

You guys who think Pioli will keep Herm... Go listen to the interview on kcchiefs.com with Hunt and Pioli. It's a good interview. Nothing was said about Herm, but Pioli's sure sounds like he wants to find a coach who is about discipline and flawless execution, like Belichick. Herm is a motivator coach, which is the opposite type of coach as Belichick.

This goes well beyond whether or not Herm is an effective head coach. He's simply a terrible fit with Pioli.

kysirsoze
01-17-2009, 03:21 PM
mort just reproted that it's still between spags and garrett

Nice. Spags still on the market. Your move Pioli!!

SAUTO
01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Nice. Spags still on the market. Your move Pioli!!

maybe maybe not just a report(but thats what they all are right now)

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/the-deal-is-done-spagnuolo-is-new-st-louis-rams-head-coach/

The deal is done. Spagnuolo is new St. Louis Rams head coach.

01.17.2009 3:00 pm

By Jim Thomas
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Negotiations have been completed. Steve Spagnuolo of the New York Giants is signed, sealed and delivered as the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams. League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday afternoon that it’s a four-year deal worth just under $12 million.

alanm
01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

I hate Herm as much as anyone, but Herm failing next year is better than making the wrong decision at HC and having to deal with it for the next 3-5 years.I'm already of the opinion that we will be stuck with Herm for the coming season. He'll get his one last shot with a few new Asst's one of them being a new DC. If he doesn't produce... they totally overhaul the coaching staff next year.

It's the only possible reason that they haven't done anything. :hmmm:

alanm
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
You guys who think Pioli will keep Herm... Go listen to the interview on kcchiefs.com with Hunt and Pioli. It's a good interview. Nothing was said about Herm, but Pioli's sure sounds like he wants to find a coach who is about discipline and flawless execution, like Belichick. Herm is a motivator coach, which is the opposite type of coach as Belichick.

This goes well beyond whether or not Herm is an effective head coach. He's simply a terrible fit with Pioli. You're just speculating as I am. But I think they retain Herm for the coming season with a new DC and a few new Assts. If they were seriously thinking of canning Herm it would of been done by now.

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 03:33 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Mortenson is on ESPN News now reporting Spagnuolo as the new HC.

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Mortenson reports that Pioli may have been looking at Spagnuolo, and that's why they didn't wait on Rex Ryan.

Then again, since he just said that Brandon Meriweather is an OLB for the Rams on ESPN News, I'm not putting much stock in his opinion.

alanm
01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Mortenson is on ESPN News now reporting Spagnuolo as the new HC.For who? The Rams?

OnTheWarpath15
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
For who? The Rams?

Yeah.

He's "breaking" the story that broke 2 hours ago.

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
You're just speculating as I am. But I think they retain Herm for the coming season with a new DC and a few new Assts. If they were seriously thinking of canning Herm it would of been done by now.

Sure, but I don't know why every is dismissing all the early stuff about Ferentz being the guy Pioli wanted. I fully expect Pioli to put the screws down on Ferentz, and we'll see what happens...

Thig Lyfe
01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
DAMMIT SCOTT!!!!! WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG?!?!?!?!?

MELTDOWNNNNNN

Kerberos
01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I thought I read that Spags would not have been to far up Pioli's list because it was rumored that Spags wanted total roster control and that in itself would not be a fit with Pioli.

googlegoogle
01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Billick would not be bad.

I am not anti-Herm like most here.

TEX
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM

IMO, that is Clark's plan. Hiring Pioli will soften the blow.

milkman
01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
IMO, that is Clark's plan. Hiring Pioli will soften the blow.

I really don't believe that Clark took the time he did to get Pioli on board because he had some back room alterior motive of keeping Herman fucking Edwards around.

He took the time he did because it;s his first major decision as the owner and he wanted to ensure that he got the right person.

I also believe that Pioli is taking time now because he wants to get the right guy.

I really would not be surprise to see him wait until next week, or even the week after to start making changes.