PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whose fault is Tamba Hali?

unothadeal
01-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Are the coaches to blame for Hali's drop off in numbers? His first two seasons he had 8 and 7.5 sacks. This season he only had 3. Is it not the same three coaches (Edwards, Gunther, Krumrie) coaching him throughout his career?

Why all of a sudden do his sack numbers drop so significantly?

Is it Hali himself who isn't motivated? What happened to Herm's motivational skills?

Is Hali a 1st round bust just like Ryan Sims who's lack of talent was hidden by Jared Allen's great play?

Are the coaches to blame for his 3 sacks this season or is Hali?

Hammock Parties
01-17-2009, 08:00 PM
He should never have been moved to RE.

He's not a bust he can be a complementary player on a defense that has a great pass rusher.

Mecca
I'm not sure what a coach can do for him..

He's a physically maxed out player that was pretty polished the day he was drafted, a guy like that isn't going to get a whole lot better. When the league starts figuring him out he has to find another way to make plays because he doesn't have the pure talent to just beat a guy.

When you have all the moves and techniques down but don't have great talent this is what happens...you can't just teach a guy to grow more talent.

kcxiv
I dont think he's a star or will ever be or intended to be, but he has been hurt lately. I think he's going to suffer from the Carlos Hall syndrome with his knee's.

Anyways, they took a shot and it didnt work out. Not to mention them trying to put him in JA's spot.

RealSNR
Tamba Hali is Tamba Hali's fault, I'm guessing.

RealSNR
01-17-2009, 08:01 PM

He's not a bust he can be a complementary player on a defense that has a great pass rusher.Yep. He's definitely not a playmaker by himself like Jared Allen was

Mecca
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Tamba Hali's parents are the ones to blame.....he tries hard he just doesn't have the natural talent to make it work.

You can blame the Chiefs for taking a player like that in the 1st round.

Hammock Parties
he doesn't have the pure talent to just beat a guy.

I disagree. His first two years he was beating right tackles around the edge consistently. Hell, if he had wrapped up the quarterback in 2007 he would have had 14 sacks.

Halfcan
Hali will bounce back.

Chief Roundup
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't doubt that it is a combination of things.
Changing positions is not easy to do either.
There is not much to demand a double team on our DL.
There is not good enough coaching to help him get through the "sophmore slump".
There is not much reason to have a lot of motivation playing on the squad. Sometimes it is easier to keep that motor going for 2 or 3 more seconds when you believe and trust in the other players around you.

Mecca
01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I disagree. His first two years he was beating right tackles around the edge consistently. Hell, if he had wrapped up the quarterback in 2007 he would have had 14 sacks.

And now we're to this point where the league starts to figure a guy out...Hali was what he was on draft day, his best year in the league was his 1st year...that speaks to a guy who's maxed out coaching isn't going to help him.

He'll either remain what he is or get worse.

L.A. Chieffan
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
hay guyz what do you think about Hali being moved to RE? you think that that might have been it. i bet it was because he got moved to RE. Hes's not a RE. they shouldnt have moved him to RE. hes ok but not at RE. RE is bad for Hali. if he stayed at LE he wouldve been okl but not at RE

keg in kc
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
He's always hurt. I'm not sure whose fault that is, but I think that's the real issue. It's not major injury/IR kind of stuff, so maybe people don't even realize he's got them since he doesn't miss games, but he's had a nagging, season-long injuries the last two years -- foot problems in '07 and leg problems in '08. Bad wheels are not a good thing for a defensive end. Either way, one year was bad luck; two years is a trend. And that's a shame.

EyePod
01-17-2009, 08:12 PM

He's not a bust he can be a complementary player on a defense that has a great pass rusher.

I think you can't label him as a bust... but he's still underperformed by a lot.

el borracho
01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
1. Hali obviously isn't that good to begin with.
2. Jared Allen's production boosted Hali's numbers.
3. Hali was helplessly overmatched on the right.

I hope we let him walk whenever his rookie contract is up and draft a real DE.

Skip Towne
01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
hay guyz what do you think about Hali being moved to RE? you think that that might have been it. i bet it was because he got moved to RE. Hes's not a RE. they shouldnt have moved him to RE. hes ok but not at RE. RE is bad for Hali. if he stayed at LE he wouldve been okl but not at RE

Do you think moving to RE had anything to do with it?

booger
01-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Chiefs had Glenn Dorsey Play too Heavy? --
Sat Jan 17, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The Houston Chronicle reports the Kansas City Chiefs were disappointed with the play of rookie DT Glenn Dorsey but they only have themselves to blame because they had him playing about 15 pounds too heavy. He needs to be closer to 300 pounds rather than 315-320.

booger
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM

I think it was even more than that. It wasn't just RE it was Allen's old spot. I got that from reading offseason articles that Tamba put way too much pressure on himself to become the new sack leader on the DL instead of just improving his play. Same thing with DJ. Early on in the offseason workouts DJ was talking to the media all the time and was pressed into a leadership role. Neither one really worked out too well.

Buehler445
01-17-2009, 08:22 PM
With the amount of first day talent on the team, its either the coaches blow ass at talent evaluation or blow ass at coaching it up. Either way, its coaching.

FringeNC
01-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Chiefs had Glenn Dorsey Play too Heavy? --
Sat Jan 17, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The Houston Chronicle reports the Kansas City Chiefs were disappointed with the play of rookie DT Glenn Dorsey but they only have themselves to blame because they had him playing about 15 pounds too heavy. He needs to be closer to 300 pounds rather than 315-320.

Herm and Gun :shake:

Hammock Parties
01-17-2009, 08:25 PM
That sounds like a lame excuse to me, to be quite honest. Lots of good players in this league have been effective playing overweight. Sure they weren't as good as they could have been, but they still made plays.

bowener
01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure what a coach can do for him..

He's a physically maxed out player that was pretty polished the day he was drafted, a guy like that isn't going to get a whole lot better. When the league starts figuring him out he has to find another way to make plays because he doesn't have the pure talent to just beat a guy.

When you have all the moves and techniques down but don't have great talent this is what happens...you can't just teach a guy to grow more talent.

**cough** HGH **cough**

booger
01-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Gun just tries to recreate past D's that were sucessfull. I get a kick out of people that act like it's because Herm forces the cover two on him. With weak corners in the past that's about all we could do. We played much, much more man with Flowers and Carr, at least until Flowers was hurt. Gun fools around and plays DJ at WLB while that makes sense, if they were going to do that they shouldn't have signed Demo Williams to play SLB. DJ played pretty well at SLB and was at his best as a pass rusher from a 2 point stance rushing RT's.

He played Boone at DE because when he was with the Titans Kevin Carter played DE at 317 lbs and was effective. Too bad they aren't the same player. Like he tried to turn Bell into another Anthony Davis.

He had Williams rushing the passer the first couple of weaks of the season from a stand up spot of the left side while he had a cast covering his whole hand. Later the cast comes off and he doesn't see the field until injuries put him back in and then he never rushed the passer like he did earlier in the season and like he did at Nebraska.

You can't falt him for losing Allen but he really deserves criticism for not playing to the strengths of what he had to work with.

Pretty obvious things were blowing up in his face like coaching LB's as well when they bring in Bunting as a D consultant after only 6 weaks of the season.

booger
01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
That sounds like a lame excuse to me, to be quite honest. Lots of good players in this league have been effective playing overweight. Sure they weren't as good as they could have been, but they still made plays.

Makes sense as to were they played him, more as a 2technique. Herm kept saying early on he had trouble with his counter moves and needed to develop them. Gun seemed thrilled with Tank's offseason work and losing weight and put him at the DLT spot to reword him for it while not realizing how that would effect dorsey.

They didn't rotate DT's very well either. Both guys seemed gassed too much to me and Ron Edwards sat his ass on the bench while he could have played much more in a rotation.

With some of these younger guys they just treated it like it was preseason all season long.

Cosmos
01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Explain how Jimmy Wilkerson became a player in TB?

1 career sack in 5 seasons here, and suddenly 5 sack in TB this year.

BigRock
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
When you have all the moves and techniques down

I've seen no evidence that Hali has all the moves and techniques down.

Mecca
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I've seen no evidence that Hali has all the moves and techniques down.

Well he isn't beating anyone by being a physical freak...

Vermiel had bad drafts but the Hali, Pollard etc draft wasn't an improvement.

the Talking Can
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Gun just tries to recreate past D's that were sucessfull. I get a kick out of people that act like it's because Herm forces the cover two on him. With weak corners in the past that's about all we could do. We played much, much more man with Flowers and Carr, at least until Flowers was hurt. Gun fools around and plays DJ at WLB while that makes sense, if they were going to do that they shouldn't have signed Demo Williams to play SLB. DJ played pretty well at SLB and was at his best as a pass rusher from a 2 point stance rushing RT's.

He played Boone at DE because when he was with the Titans Kevin Carter played DE at 317 lbs and was effective. Too bad they aren't the same player. Like he tried to turn Bell into another Anthony Davis.

He had Williams rushing the passer the first couple of weaks of the season from a stand up spot of the left side while he had a cast covering his whole hand. Later the cast comes off and he doesn't see the field until injuries put him back in and then he never rushed the passer like he did earlier in the season and like he did at Nebraska.

You can't falt him for losing Allen but he really deserves criticism for not playing to the strengths of what he had to work with.

Pretty obvious things were blowing up in his face like coaching LB's as well when they bring in Bunting as a D consultant after only 6 weaks of the season.

great post

and his last abortion of an idea: DJ as MLB

blueballs
01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
his strength was in his dreads

booger
01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
great post

and his last abortion of an idea: DJ as MLB

DJ has been moved around so damned much, had 3 LB coaches. He needs to step it up himself but all the other crap doesn't help him out either.

I'd like to see us play a ravens style hybrid D. DJ might fit a type of Suggs type role, rushing and coverage. Might be better for dorsey as well if Pioli gets the right HC and or DC and players.

I admire how they could take a guy like Adalius Thomas 6'2 270 and make him such a big part of it. The pats took notice and signed him.

Not from an athletic standpoint but a size and agility comparrason, McBride sizes up about the same way. 6'2 278 and lanky.

They find the tweener guys in the draft that may not fit and plug them in just like the true 34 teams like the steelers do. That's why i'd love Rex Ryan.

chiefsfan4life1978
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I have been really surprised by Tamba Hali's lack of production. Even though he walks and runs with his feet pointed way inward which I've always thought might be a big hinderance to him on the field, he looked so good in college I really thought he'd be productive with or without Allen. McBride, on the other hand, I still remember when we drafted him in the second round and learning of his 6.5 career college sacks and thinking wtf? His lack of production has been no surprise at all.

Chiefaholic
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I seem to recall reading an article a while back that he has problems with his feet. They're wider and faltter than normal, which lead to foot problems. You'de think with the cash these guys have to spend, they'de have shoes tailor made for the guy. That combined with leg problems, a dimwit coaching the D-Line, and a head coach that had no clue, the guy never had a chance.

Tamba's strength is on the left side of the line, and hopefully they'll move Dorsey next to Tamba, then either draft or pick up a bigger DT to take Dorsey's spot. This is where Pioli comes into play and has done quite well drafting stars on the D-Line. A healthy Hali, dominant DT's, and an intelligent D-Line coach could bring his sack total as good as or better than his rookie season.

RINGLEADER
01-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Jared Allen was responsible for making Tamba Hali (and Gunther for that matter) look better. It's no coincidence that our defense went from last to middle of the pack in lock-step with JA's progress.

Jared Allen really was/is that good. He should have gotten credit for most of Hali's sacks as well.

JuicesFlowing
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Tamba Hali is Tamba Hali's fault, I'm guessing.

I'm betting he was his parents fault.

ChiefJustice
01-18-2009, 07:29 AM

I think it was the RE position that failed Hali.He was perfect for the RE until
the RE slept with his RE waitress girlfriend...who also had a right end.

Wilson8
01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I agree with the group that has said moving Tamba to right defensive end and injury hurt him last year. I think if KC brings in a good defensive coordinator and signs or drafts a good right defense end, Tamba’s numbers will improve.
He will never be a star but he can contribute to the team. Tamba was the opposite mistake of drafting a player because of his combine numbers. His combine numbers should have been a warning. Carl fell in love with his story and his character. He is not fast enough to be a speed rusher and he is not strong enough to overpower the offensive tackle. The result is what you have with Tamba, a guy that works hard but does not have the physical tools to dominate at his position.

MikeMaslowski
01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
swolb ilah abmat

StcChief
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Leave him on LE draft another DT, DE. see where he goes 2009. then :shrug: Pioli will have to decide.

BigChiefFan
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Gee, getting rid of our best pass-rusher just might have a little something to do with it, that and Hali is just going through the motions. I'd consider trading him in a heartbeat.

the Talking Can
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
he sucks against the run no matter where you line him up

he's a rotational LDE that should sub on passing downs...no what you hope for with a 1st round pick, but he can still contribute if we had a DC with a brain...

boogblaster
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It's his fault.. If you watch him he dives in every time .. he gets blocked into the pile .. Pretty simple to block him, use his weight going inside and push him into the pile ...

milkman
01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Hali is what he is.

He's a solid, unspectacular, LDE, who is better suited as a rotational type player.

The fact that Krumrie, Cunther, and Herman fucking Edwards decided that he had the kind of talent to play RDE just serves to illustrate how incompetent all these idiots are.

Some of us were saying that it wouldn't work as soon as we heard that Hali was being moved.

banyon
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
In, retrospect, I'm a genious, right?

Right?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139909&highlight=hali

MikeMaslowski
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Right?

Um, geniuses typically spell genius correctly. However, I would say you are more of an idiot savant.:)

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
they shouldnt have mooved him to RE. somebody told me that

banyon
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Um, geniuses typically spell genius correctly. However, I would say you are more of an idiot savant.:)

see lexicon.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168904&highlight=lexicon

RustShack
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Hali's parents are to blame. If they wouldn't have fucked we wouldn't have drafted him.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Hali's parents are to blame. If they wouldn't have fucked we wouldn't have drafted him.

no its cuz they moved him to RE.. they shoulda left him at LE. duh

unothadeal
01-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Right?

In the same thread:

DJ was not labeled that way. People regarded that pick as a "steal" because it was.
:D

MikeMaslowski
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
see lexicon.

well, don't i look like quite a jackass....

banyon
01-19-2009, 04:02 PM
well, don't i look like quite a jackass....

That's what you get for being a n00b, n00b.

:p

HemiEd
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

You should do a search for CP Lexicon.

HemiEd
01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
see lexicon.

dammit.

bishop_74
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Are the coaches to blame for Hali's drop off in numbers? His first two seasons he had 8 and 7.5 sacks. This season he only had 3. Is it not the same three coaches (Edwards, Gunther, Krumrie) coaching him throughout his career?

Is it Hali himself who isn't motivated? What happened to Herm's motivational skills?

Is Hali a 1st round bust just like Ryan Sims who's lack of talent was hidden by Jared Allen's great play?

Everyones a friggen expert!!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17337&highlight=priest+holmes

DaWolf
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Gunther is dumb...

chiefsngop
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Jared Allen flushes QB away from him.

Tamba Hali benefits on opposing side.

No Jared Allen = Poor numbers for Hali.

Herm and Gunther's solution ; Move Hali to RE.

Assesment of Herm and Gunthers Solution = FAIL.