PDA

View Full Version : Football What Exactly Determines a Sack?

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Im having a debate with a friend and was wondering if someone could clear something up for me...preferably with a link to proof.

I always thought if a QB was tackled behind the LOS it counted as a sack no matter what. My friend says that if the QB is tackled while trying to hand the ball off its not considered a sack. Who's right?

kstater
01-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Uhh, you tackle the QB behind the LOS. :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
When one tackles a QB with the ball behind the LOS it's a sack period.

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Uhh, you tackle the QB behind the LOS. :shrug:

Thats what I said, but he swears there are exceptions. Unfortunately the rule book at NFL.com is very vague and doesnt really say.

doomy3
01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Thats what I said, but he swears there are exceptions. Unfortunately the rule book at NFL.com is very vague and doesnt really say.

you're right

DaFace
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that there are actually exceptions the OTHER direction, but I'm not sure what all they are. For example, I think the defense gets credit for a sack on an intentional grounding call.

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
He also says that if the play is intended as a QB run and the QB doesnt get to the LOS its just a tackle.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
He also says that if the play is intended as a QB run and the QB doesnt get to the LOS its just a tackle.

BS, even if the QB scrambles for no gain it's still counted as a sack

cdcox
01-18-2009, 03:06 PM

True for college but not for pros, if I recall correctly something I read years ago.

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I cant believe something like this is so hard to find with google.

Mojo Jojo
01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I believe that sacks, like tackles, are not an official stat until Tuesday or Wednesday following the game allowing the tape to be reviewed. Defensive stats are awarded at that time. I know for a fact that when the QB kneels down it is counted as negative rushing yards not a sack. If you go back and look at the plays when Thiggy ran the option he was and tackled behind the LOS it went as a rush for negative yards and not a sack.

In short, or long, I think that just like baseball (hit vs. error/stolen base vs. indifference) a sack can be awarded on the judgment of the scorer.

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
When one tackles a QB with the ball behind the LOS it's a sack period.

Well I guess not according to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_sack

To be considered a sack the quarterback must intend to throw a forward pass. If the play is designed for the quarterback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback) to rush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_%28football%29) the ball, any loss is subtracted from the quarterback's rushing total. If the quarterback's intent is not obvious statisticians use certain criteria, such as the offensive line blocking scheme, to decide. Other unique situations where a loss reduces a quarterback's rushing total (not a sack) are "kneel downs" (used to run time off the game clock), and aborted plays, such as a fumbled snap that the quarterback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback) falls on to maintain possession.

DenverChief
01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Usually skin of various colors (black, brown, white) encompassing a set of testicles that for the most part is covered in pubic hair unless the owner of said sack chooses otherwise

Wyndex
01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Usually skin of various colors (black, brown, white) encompassing a set of testicles that for the most part is covered in pubic hair unless the owner of said sack chooses otherwise

+1

KCChiefsMan
01-18-2009, 03:38 PM
in Madden if you tackle the QB while he's handing it off, they don't count it as a sack

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 03:45 PM
in Madden if you tackle the QB while he's handing it off, they don't count it as a sack

Oh. Well, there's my answer then. Madden rules all. :D

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
What if its a play action pass, if you tackle the QB before he fakes the handoff it it a sack? :hmmm:

dj56dt58
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
why are you asking Chief fans?

MTG#10
01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
why are you asking Chief fans?

Touche. :)

JuicesFlowing
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5900/cutoutsackcz3.jpg

This is a sack.

chief52
01-18-2009, 05:41 PM

You will not find a "sack" in the rule book, I would not think. It has nothing to do with the rules. It is a statistic.

blueballs
01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
good thing you felt it up first

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2009, 11:10 PM

That happened today on the first game, and Phil pointed out that it was not a sack because, I believe it was McNabb, was in in a deliberate rushing play.

I had never heard that one before, but I trust Phil since he played that position all those years.

Christofire
01-18-2009, 11:30 PM
A sack is also counted if you manage to strip the ball from the QB on a pass attempt, even if you don't physically tackle him. Hali did that twice to Phil Rivers in the second Chiefs/Chargers game in '08.

Kyle DeLexus
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Your friend pays too much attention to stats on Madden

Discuss Thrower
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
All I know is that you CANNOT intercept a sack.

Kyle DeLexus
01-18-2009, 11:50 PM
And I should have read the thread first

KCrockaholic
01-19-2009, 12:30 AM
lol hes been playing to much madden dude. Ok, if the QB is tackled, or stripped of the ball behind the LOS it is a Sack. Ok so your friend says if its a running play then its not a sack if the qb is tackled. So tell him, how can they prove that the so called "running play" wasnt actually a play-action that just didnt work out? ...he wont have a smart answer if he has one at all to come back from that.

KCrockaholic
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
That happened today on the first game, and Phil pointed out that it was not a sack because, I believe it was McNabb, was in in a deliberate rushing play.

I had never heard that one before, but I trust Phil since he played that position all those years.

so how can they determine that it was a drawn up QB run and not just a blown play that the qb tries to scramble on? I dont see it being possible unless that ask the coach what play he was running, which just isnt gonna happen.

TinyEvel
01-19-2009, 03:29 AM
What are these "sacks" you speak of?

If, by "sack" you mean there is a possibility to tackle the QB behind the LOS for a loss in yardage, then, someone should definitely tell the Chiefs D coaches about this!

It wold be a really great thing for our team to try in a game!

kysirsoze
01-19-2009, 03:36 AM
lol hes been playing to much madden dude. Ok, if the QB is tackled, or stripped of the ball behind the LOS it is a Sack. Ok so your friend says if its a running play then its not a sack if the qb is tackled. So tell him, how can they prove that the so called "running play" wasnt actually a play-action that just didnt work out? ...he wont have a smart answer if he has one at all to come back from that.

I fit is clear that the QB is trying to run it will not be credited as a sack. If he is simply scrambling to avoid a sack and gets tackled behind the LOS it counts as a sack. Wikipedia was right.

kysirsoze
01-19-2009, 03:37 AM

If, by "sack" you mean there is a possibility to tackle the QB behind the LOS for a loss in yardage, then, someone should definitely tell the Chiefs D coaches about this!

:LOL:

We are terrible.

Bob Dole
01-19-2009, 07:40 AM

Didn't the competition committee make that illegal last offseason?

Braincase
01-19-2009, 08:19 AM
It's always a sack. If it looks like he's trying to hand the ball off, it's a play-action pass. At least, that's what I'd argue.

Otter
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
A healthy scrotum

Amnorix
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
BS, even if the QB scrambles for no gain it's still counted as a sack

I dunno. I do know that kneel downs are NOT sacks, so clearly there are exceptions.

I hate that kneel downs count as running players, however. It's incredibly stupid that it affects rushing stats.

Amnorix
01-19-2009, 08:31 AM
You will not find a "sack" in the rule book, I would not think. It has nothing to do with the rules. It is a statistic.

You will not even find the rule book to begin with.

It is not online. Only a synopsis of the rules is available, to my everlasting disgust.

MTG#10
01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
You will not even find the rule book to begin with.

It is not online. Only a synopsis of the rules is available, to my everlasting disgust.

A copy of the 2006 rule book can be found in PDF format with google.

Amnorix
01-19-2009, 12:41 PM
A copy of the 2006 rule book can be found in PDF format with google.

GREAT. It had been at least a couple years since I last looked, so I'm not surprised I didn't know about it.

Thanks for the info.

EyePod
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM

That's very comical.