PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs You really dont want Cowher?

whatsmynameagain
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
id think now, more than ever, cowher is the best coaching candidate. after all, both of his old coordinators are coaching both teams in the super bowl. the marty comparisons are lame but i honestly feel marty wouldve broken the cherry had aj smith died or just kept marty.

Reerun_KC
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
No we really dont want Cowher, or Marty, or Herm or any other reject from that tree stump...

Brock
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
both of his old coordinators are coaching both teams in the super bowl.

Why do people keep saying this?

RustShack
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think Cowher will be here for 15 years, so if your just pushing for Carl style and being mediocre then he would be a good choice.

EyePod
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
He does not want to coach this year. Get it through your thick, ugly skull! This should not be a thread.

Reerun_KC

:shrug:

blueballs
Oh yes
another thread was warranted

Reerun_KC
I don't think Cowher will be here for 15 years, so if your just pushing for Carl style and being mediocre then he would be a good choice.

This....

ChiefsCountry
01-19-2009, 04:31 PM

LeBeau is but not as a head coach. :)

kstater
01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
No we really dont want Cowher, or Marty, or Herm or any other reject from that tree stump...
This

It took Cowher 15 years to build a SB winner. Sorry, I don't want that.

sedated
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I would love to see Cowher's legacy had the refs not completely screwed that super bowl up and he lost, like he deserved to.

Reerun_KC
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
This

I would rather just move past trying to relive the past and move forward.

I swear, half of this fanbase needs therapy from the bonds of mediocrity...

Brock
01-19-2009, 04:46 PM
LeBeau is but not as a head coach. :)

True, but wtf, Lebeau was coaching in the NFL when Cowher was still in high school. I mean, I know you know that, but anyway.

Frazod
01-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Do not want.

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I think it's amazing that all of you believe Cowher represents mediocrity.

I don't think Cowher will get here because he won't have control. But I also believe Cowher is bar-none one of the best in the league.

You all have too high of standards. Two super bowl berths in 15 years is phenomenal. It's NOT mediocre.

For those that think winning a Super Bowl is so easy, tell me how many coaches in the last 10 years won a Super Bowl in his first 5 seasons as a head coach. How many head coaches in the history of the game have won more than one Super Bowl?

Is he Bill Bellichick or Bill Walsh? No. But it's ridiculous to set the bar that high given that those kinds of guys are very, very rare finds. Cowher is a proven winner, he has more divisional championships than I can even count, he has as many playoff wins, by the way, as Bill Parcells, and unlike these newbie coaches his philosophy has withstood the test of time.

Will Cowher be coaching KC? Likely not. Would I be doing cartwheels if he did? You're damn straight I would.

Brock
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Two super bowl berths in 15 years is phenomenal.

No, it really isn't.

DMAC
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
A flaming bag of poo stinks and burns. So, when we break that down to its scientific state, does that make it diarhea?

Micjones
I'd gladly take Cowher, but I think it'd be foolish to keep Herm around on the CHANCE that Cowher will feel the same way about Kansas City a year from now.

chiefzilla1501
No, it really isn't.

How many coaches can you name that have been to more than 2 Super Bowls in their coaching career?

Micjones
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
No, it really isn't.

I'm guessing there are probably only a handful of active Head Coaches who have done that. Just saying...

Reerun_KC
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I think it's amazing that all of you believe Cowher represents mediocrity.

I don't think Cowher will get here because he won't have control. But I also believe Cowher is bar-none one of the best in the league.

You all have too high of standards. Two super bowl berths in 15 years is phenomenal. It's NOT mediocre.

For those that think winning a Super Bowl is so easy, tell me how many coaches in the last 10 years won a Super Bowl in his first 5 seasons as a head coach. How many head coaches in the history of the game have won more than one Super Bowl?

Is he Bill Bellichick or Bill Walsh? No. But it's ridiculous to set the bar that high given that those kinds of guys are very, very rare finds. Cowher is a proven winner, he has more divisional championships than I can even count, he has as many playoff wins, by the way, as Bill Parcells, and unlike these newbie coaches his philosophy has withstood the test of time.

Will Cowher be coaching KC? Likely not. Would I be doing cartwheels if he did? You're damn straight I would.

Of course you would support it....

Comedy at its finest! ROFL

kc rush
01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
If it was a choice between Cowher and Herm, then Cowher definitely. However, option C is probably a better choice.

I know that all of the local realtors are big fans of Cowher though.

KChiefs1
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Mike Tomlin has 1 Super Bowl appearance in 2 years....maybe we should get one of his assistants?

Hootie
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd rather not read any more threads about it...that's for sure.

kstater
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
How many coaches can you name that have been to more than 2 Super Bowls in their coaching career?

IIRC 12.

DaWolf
This

Perhaps it would help if in his next job he and his front office didn't spend 15 years before drafting Ben Rothlisberger while trying to win with Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell...

Brock

The truly phenomenal ones.

Micjones
IIRC 12.

That's pretty elite company.

kstater
01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
That's pretty elite company.

It's more if you count the one's that have only been to two like Cowher.

crazycoffey
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Ken took another Steeler, Russell Grimm, with him to be his assistant HC in Arizona. both were candidates for replacing Bill... :shrug:

Brock
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Cowher's in company with Dick Vermeil. I mean, pretty good, I guess. He's no Bill Walsh or anything, that's all I'm saying.

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
No, it really isn't.

I'll make it easy on you.

Only 11 coaches in NFL history have 3 super bowl berths or more:
Bill Walsh, Dan Reeves, Tom Landry, Bill Bellichick, Bud Grant, Chuck Noll, Joe Gibbs, Marv Levy, Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells, Don Shula. And each of those guys had 10 or more years of experience. Most of those guys had WELL over 10 years of experience.

And by the way, there is only one coach in NFL history who has been to two Super Bowls in less than 10 years. Jimmy Johnson.

Our definition of mediocrity is ridiculously high. Why do we compare newbies like Spagnuolo to Mike Smith, but we compare oldies like Cowher to Don Shula and Vince Lombardi? Isn't that a weird standard?

crazycoffey
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Cowher's in company with Dick Vermeil. I mean, pretty good, I guess. He's no Bill Walsh or anything, that's all I'm saying.

so high percentage as far as HC's go? 25-10% maybe?
you're right, he sucks, we shouldn't be happy if he ended up our coach...

kstater
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone watch the Steelers Ravens game yesterday? That's the type of outcome you will always get in the playoffs with Cowher. Usually a one possession game. 1 blown coverage, 1 missed FG could end your season. I've danced to this song, I don't like it.

Brock
01-19-2009, 05:06 PM
so high percentage as far as HC's go? 25-10% maybe?
you're right, he sucks, we shouldn't be happy if he ended up our coach...

I don't care if you're happy with him or not, I'm just pointing out that he should have won more than one super bowl in 15 years.

DeezNutz
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't care if you're happy with him or not, I'm just pointing out that he should have won more than one super bowl in 15 years.

It could be that his philosophy has continued to develop and evolve. Stepping away from coaching would have definitely given him more time to see tape from a lot of other teams.

Head coaches sometimes get tunnel vision, IMO, because they're so consumed with their team that the lose a broader perspective.

keg in kc
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
No, I really don't want Cowher, but I'm not going to go apeshit if that's who they go with.

DaWolf
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Hell, Joe Gibbs was no Joe Gibbs when he got hired this century...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Perhaps it would help if in his next job he and his front office didn't spend 15 years before drafting Ben Rothlisberger while trying to win with Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell...
And Mike Tomzac lmao

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
It could be that his philosophy has continued to develop and evolve. Stepping away from coaching would have definitely given him more time to see tape from a lot of other teams.

Head coaches sometimes get tunnel vision, IMO, because they're so consumed with their team that the lose a broader perspective.

I agree. And sometimes you just need a little time away from the game to refresh yourself.

For that matter, let me also say that not only should Cowher be in this conversation, but Mike Holmgren too. The good news about Holmgren is that he's been down the road before of wanting too much power, so I think he'd be fine with having a lesser role in personnel decisions (unlike Cowher).

crazycoffey
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM

ok, guess I can say detroit should have won at least one game this year. Bill coached two teams to the SB and won one of them, and you don't consider him a phenomenal coach. That's what you said..... "pretty good, I guess"

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Hell, Joe Gibbs was no Joe Gibbs when he got hired this century...

Joe Gibbs was no Joe Gibbs because Daniel Snyder was Daniel Snyder. Much like Bill Parcells was no Bill Parcells because Jerry Jones was Jerry Jones.

Ebolapox
01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
no. I don't.

Brock
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
ok, guess I can say detroit should have won at least one game this year. Bill coached two teams to the SB and won one of them, and you don't consider him a phenomenal coach. That's what you said..... "pretty good, I guess"

No, I don't consider him a phenomenal coach. Phenomenal coaches are the Walshes, the Gibbses, etc. The ones who not only won multiple super bowls, but changed the way the game is played.

blueballs
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll make it easy on you.

Only 11 coaches in NFL history have 3 super bowl berths or more:
Bill Walsh, Dan Reeves, Tom Landry, Bill Bellichick, Bud Grant, Chuck Noll, Joe Gibbs, Marv Levy, Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells, Don Shula. And each of those guys had 10 or more years of experience. Most of those guys had WELL over 10 years of experience.

And by the way, there is only one coach in NFL history who has been to two Super Bowls in less than 10 years. Jimmy Johnson.

Our definition of mediocrity is ridiculously high. Why do we compare newbies like Spagnuolo to Mike Smith, but we compare oldies like Cowher to Don Shula and Vince Lombardi? Isn't that a weird standard?

Shanahan Levy
and by your argument the chances of Cowher getting back are slim to none

kstater
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Shanahan
and by your argument the chances of Cowher getting back are slim to none

Holy crap, a coherent BB post.

blueballs
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
there's a method
to the maddness

MahiMike
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
The only retread I'd take is Shanahan. I'd rather get a young guy that Pioli can take under his wing and train.

MahiMike
01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Joe Gibbs was no Joe Gibbs because Daniel Snyder was Daniel Snyder. Much like Bill Parcells was no Bill Parcells because Jerry Jones was Jerry Jones.

Snyder gave him an open checkbook. All the retreads got old. The system has passed them by.

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Snyder gave him an open checkbook. All the retreads got old. The system has passed them by.

Snyder didn't give him an open checkbook. He was an overly involved owner who had no idea how to get good players for his coaches. Everyone in Washington is well aware of this. Besides, for what it's worth, Gibbs was also away from the game for a good 10 years or so. Cowher has only been away from the game for 2 seasons, and even still, he is still heavily involved with analyzing the game. Cowher's philosophy is still very fresh.

New coaches bust at a really, really high rate. Retread coaches tend to have a pretty high success rate, especially since most of them learn from the mistakes their first time around. Sure, you have coaches like Sean Payton and Eric Mangini and Jack Del Rio who dazzle you with exciting results at first, but how many of these guys have proven they will ever be long-term solutions?

If we're talking about building for the long-term, fresh new coaches who enter with no experience have a pretty low rate of success making the Super Bowl within 5 years. This year is an exception to the rule.

philfree
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
No! Way! On Shanahan and I'd accpect Cowher but IMO we don't need to hire one of the great coaches from the past we need to find the next great HC who has his Championships infront of him.

PhilFree:arrow:

EyePod
01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
No, it really isn't.

Average-wise it probably is.

Brock
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Average-wise it probably is.

Average-wise, Marty Schottenheimer is a HOF coach.

01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't hate him. But I don't want him.

chiefzilla1501
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
No! Way! On Shanahan and I'd accpect Cowher but IMO we don't need to hire one of the great coaches from the past we need to find the next great HC who has his Championships infront of him.

PhilFree:arrow:

I understand why people think this, but I think most people underestimate how many of these coaches end up busting after three years. There's a lot to be said for experience. If you're worried about old coaches not knowing new ideas, then you bring in strong coordinators that can do that for him.

I think most new coaches see a lot of success their first 2 years either through borrowed talent (i.e. Callahan's Super Bowl in Oakland) or because of the freshness and novelty of new ideas (i.e. Sparano's wildcat offense). Most of them end up getting stuck and fired within 4-5 years. When they're fired, you usually have to blow the team up and wait another 3 years on a rebuild.

But when it comes to long-term success, you know Holmgren and Cowher will build a terrific team because they've done it so many times. You can say with almost complete certainty that both of them will build a playoff team. If they don't, they'll leave a really good team for the next coach who comes in (i.e. Cowher and Tomlin).

the Talking Can
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Pittsburgh hires young unproven HCs....Cowher then Tomlin

the lesson we learn from that is to keep hiring retreads??

hello, McFly?

chiefsngop
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I want a whole new direction for Kansas City. Two decades under the same GM with no results makes me feel that way.

So I don't want the new HC to have had any ties at all to Kansas City in the past, I want Pioli and a new coach with a whole new mentality, nothing from the past.

That said, I don't understand all the hate on older coaches who have been around the block.

They aren't athletes, you don't have to worry about age leading to injuries.

As long as they aren't senile, and are willing to still be innovative and not cling to tired shcemes and philosophies, I don't see the problem.

Hell younger coaches can be too set in their ways, look at Herm Edwards. He only has two short stints as a HC, and yet he's so obsessed with the Tampa 2 it handcuffs any defense he touches.