PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NFT - Calling all Disc Golfers, 22nd KC Ice Bowl is this Sunday, January 25th

phisherman
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
The 22nd Annual Kansas City Ice Bowl is this weekend at Rosedale Park.

This is a charity event that benefits the Bishop Sullivan Center here in KC. Last year we raised over $4,000 and had upwards of 250 golfers playing. There is also a chili cook off, a mini disc golf tourney, and putting contests taking place.

PM me with any questions. The event flyer is at http://www.kcfdc.org/docs/icebowlkc.pdf

phisherman
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
bumpity bump bump.

MagicHef
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Um, you should hold it in Denver this year instead.

phisherman
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I didn't look through the list, but I'm pretty sure there are multiple ice bowls taking place in CO this year. As of right now, there are 235 Ice Bowl events scheduled for this year.

Mr. Plow
01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I used to love disc golf. Haven't played it in years though.

MagicHef
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I didn't look through the list, but I'm pretty sure there are multiple ice bowls taking place in CO this year. As of right now, there are 235 Ice Bowl events scheduled for this year.

Well, rock on.

Fish
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Good call on this thread.

And just to clarify what all the event entails.....

It's not a true "tournament" format. It's very very casual, and meant to bring together disc golfers for the coming year. This one is not about heavy competition at all. In fact, many people probably won't be keeping score during the round. Everyone doesn't start at the same time, you simply play a round when you want to. You form your own groups of up to 5 people(this is rarely set in stone, so don't be surprised to find larger groups, just make sure your group isn't too slow).

It's a huge chili potluck, and you can bring your own and enter the chili competition. You're not required to bring anything, but you should if you can. In years past, they've had several kegs on hand, but BYOB regardless.

It is a fundraiser. For the Bishop Sullivan Center (http://www.bishopsullivan.org/about_us/default.aspx). It's a good cause.

This event is a real blast, regardless of the weather. If there's anybody wanting to come, but worried that you won't know anybody, post here. You're welcome to join my group, or I'll introduce you to some others.

All the info you need is on the flyer for it: http://www.kcfdc.org/docs/icebowlkc.pdf

Pablo
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Disc golfing is a good time...

We have a small course up here on campus at MWSU. A lot of trees..and the course up on NWMSU's campus is another good one. I started playing the fall before last, and sort of gave up on it in favor of real golf. What a fun, frustrating, and expensive transition that's been...

phisherman
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
there is also a course in savannah if you're looking for other courses GonzoRox.

Also, a beer for anyone that beats my score. I've got to drum up interest somehow; I guess I'll make an appeal to the competitive spirits of planeteers.

phisherman
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Disc golfing is a good time...

We have a small course up here on campus at MWSU. A lot of trees..and the course up on NWMSU's campus is another good one. I started playing the fall before last, and sort of gave up on it in favor of real golf. What a fun, frustrating, and expensive transition that's been...

those courses are a little meh.

if you're ever down this way, try Swope, Waterworks, Blue Valley, Rosedale, really any of the metro courses. They're all world class! Honestly, KC is one of the best disc golf cities in all the world!

Extra Point
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I can Anheuser a Busch, but am crummy at anhyzer-ing a bush. Thanks for the heads up, but I know my wife will keep me busy. Enjoy!

Garcia Bronco
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Dang, If I lived there I would whoop you all.

phisherman
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
i wish you were too; i have a feeling that i won't be buying the beers.

DrRyan
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
If I could only make it back from Phoenix you would be coming off of one of those Hoppy beers you had to drive to mid-town for buddy!

petegz28
01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
The 22nd Annual Kansas City Ice Bowl is this weekend at Rosedale Park.

This is a charity event that benefits the Bishop Sullivan Center here in KC. Last year we raised over $4,000 and had upwards of 250 golfers playing. There is also a chili cook off, a mini disc golf tourney, and putting contests taking place.

PM me with any questions. The event flyer is at http://www.kcfdc.org/docs/icebowlkc.pdf

Does the mini-disc course have castles and clowns that laugh at you and windmills that block your shots?

phisherman
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Does the mini-disc course have castles and clowns that laugh at you and windmills that block your shots?

nope, though that does sound fun.

the mocking that comes with bad shots will be provided by the gallery.

phisherman
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
If I could only make it back from Phoenix you would be coming off of one of those Hoppy beers you had to drive to mid-town for buddy!

I think I may have a shot at Rosedale on all shorts.

Pablo
01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
there is also a course in savannah if you're looking for other courses GonzoRox.

Also, a beer for anyone that beats my score. I've got to drum up interest somehow; I guess I'll make an appeal to the competitive spirits of planeteers.Yeah, I went to high school at Savannah, and that course is right by my old high school and the golf course I have a membership at.

Pablo
01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
those courses are a little meh.

if you're ever down this way, try Swope, Waterworks, Blue Valley, Rosedale, really any of the metro courses. They're all world class! Honestly, KC is one of the best disc golf cities in all the world!I'm sure they're all a whole lot nicer than the courses I'm used to, and if I ever get back in the disc golfing groove I wouldn't mind checking them out.

phisherman
01-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm sure they're all a whole lot nicer than the courses I'm used to, and if I ever get back in the disc golfing groove I wouldn't mind checking them out.

don't get me wrong. you could put 18 baskets in the middle of a field and i'd still have fun running at the chains.

I'm just spoiled here in KC having many world class courses to choose from!

DrRyan
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I think I may have a shot at Rosedale on all shorts.

Not a chance. You know how I throw the Roc. I won't be doing that this weekend playing long Fountain Hills.

phisherman
01-23-2009, 07:31 AM
bumpity bump bump.

come on out, take a shot at a free beer!