PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gailey NOT allowed to talk to Bucs- next HC?

chiefforlife
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Adam Schefter
Rumors continue to swirl in Kansas City

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Chan Gailey, Kansas City Chiefs, Scott Pioli

With Kansas City on information lockdown in regards to what it is doing at head coach, there are only educated guesses as to what the Chiefs might do.

Here is another.

Kansas City could wind up interviewing its offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, for its head coaching job.

How’s this? For starters, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is an unabashed Gailey admirer. Hunt knows the type of outstanding job Gailey did this past season with Tyler Thigpen and the rest of the Chiefs offense. Hunt would have no problem with Gailey coaching his team, though Hunt also has been a proponent of Herman Edwards staying.

Ultimately, the decision belongs to new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli — and he has been dead-rock silent on the subject, so no one knows what he is thinking.

But consider this: the Chiefs denied the Buccaneers the chance to interview Gailey for Tampa Bay’s vacant offensive coordinator job, according to a Kansas City source. If the Chiefs didn’t want Gailey to go, clearly there were some within the organization who wanted him to stay.

Also, at least one team involved in a head-coaching search said it had Gailey on its list of candidates, and other teams with head coaching openings might have as well.
Hiring Gailey would be to go against the grain in an offseason when teams have coveted coaching youth. But it would make sense. Pioli would like a veteran presence to run his team, and Gailey has the respect of many.

It doesn’t mean that Gailey will wind up being the Chiefs next head coach. But it does mean that when speculation about the Chiefs next move continues to run rampant, Gailey should be included in the conversation.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/22/rumors-continue-to-swirl-in-kansas-city/

keg in kc
01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
We're going to have 3000 different stories by the time this is done, because the media doesn't know any more than we do.

DeezNutz
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I have no fucking clue. /Schefter/

Frosty
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I've heard this story before. Expect Gailey to get hired elsewhere tomorrow. :rolleyes:

dj56dt58
01-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I heard George bush was gonna be our next HC, and we interviewed Obama per the rooney rule

StcChief
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
seems obvious that Gailey remains as OC or maybe promoted to HC.

DJ's left nut
01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
The premise doesn't make sense.

Gailey doesn't need permission to seek an interview for a promotion. If all these teams were considering him as a HC candidate, why wasn't he ever actually interviewed.

Schefter is about as full of !@#% here as he's been with regards to everything else. Just ignore this freakin' yard gnome.

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
We're going to have 3000 different stories by the time this is done, because the media doesn't know any more than we do.Yep. "There's no info... so let's float this theory, and hope we get lucky."

Odds are, one of them will be right... fuck, they seem to have covered all the bases. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

It's been really successful here in the past when incoming head coaches inherit coordinators.

ChiefRon
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Good grief, this is going to take some getting used to...

Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

Speculation. Rampant Speculation.

Finally, an announcement.

Next, everyone going WTF?

Mr_Tomahawk
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
...this is just about crazy dumb right about now.

...at least I will be busy all day and unable to attempt to keep up with these BS reports...I just hope we have an answer tomorrow...I mean we that will be the end of our "48 hour" window correct?

chiefforlife
Maybe Shanahan wants to keep him as OC.

KcMizzou
The media (and we) will know when Don Pioli decides it's time.

Manila-Chief
01-22-2009, 10:57 PM

After what Gun said this morning in the Star about having to run Herm's defense and not what he likes ... it seems to me they allowed Gun to leave because Herm will get his on DC. If that is true, then Herm will want to keep Gailey because of his success with Thigpen.

InChiefsHeaven
01-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Gun was denied permission initially to talk to the Lions wasn't he? And we see how that turned out...

...anybody get the feeling that Hunt and Pioli are just laughing their asses off at us all??

Reerun_KC
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I am a moron grasping at butterflies, please someone believe me! Please! I swallow!. /Schefter/

FYP

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Gun was denied permission initially to talk to the Lions wasn't he? And we see how that turned out...

...anybody get the feeling that Hunt and Pioli are just laughing their asses off at us all??Honestly, I think this is just the way Pioli handles his business.

Nobody will know a damned thing until a press conference is held.

That seems to be the way the Pats have done things for years. They're notorious for being tight lipped about everything.

That's got us all buzzing, and the media running in circles, because they're trying to create stories out of nothing.

Personally, I don't mind it. I'm more than willing to be patient.

(Gotta admit, I'm fuckin' curious, though.)

BigRock
01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
There was a report earlier today that the Bucs never asked to interview Gailey.

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 11:11 PM
There was a report earlier today that the Bucs never asked to interview Gailey.Reminds me of the whole what is good or bad for you, thing.

"News Flash: Eggs are Good!"

Two months later..

"News Flash: Eggs Will Kill You!!!!!"

Replace "eggs" with red wine, red meat, or what the hell ever...

In any case, it seems that the media has all bases covered.

DrRyan
01-22-2009, 11:16 PM

Gailey doesn't need permission to seek an interview for a promotion. If all these teams were considering him as a HC candidate, why wasn't he ever actually interviewed.

Schefter is about as full of !@#% here as he's been with regards to everything else. Just ignore this freakin' yard gnome.

The story says,"the Chiefs denied the Buccaneers the chance to interview Gailey for Tampa Bay’s vacant offensive coordinator job."

You did read the story right? I did not see any mention of him for a HC job other than an extremely vague "one team looking for a HC had him on their list" reference.

whoman69
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Isn't it fun being fans of the most secretive organization in the league? No wonder the Chiefs are never in the media. Everything is speculation.

rtmike
01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
When he came to KC I was initially happy when he was asked what system he would run & he replied he would run whatever the players he had dictated. He did just what he said he would.

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
When he came to KC I was initially happy when he was asked what system he would run & he replied he would run whatever the players he had dictated. He did just what he said he would.Gailey?

Yeah, you're right there. The guy did a good job considering what he had to work with. Completely changed his offense on the fly, and for the most part... it worked.

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Isn't it fun being fans of the most secretive organization in the league? No wonder the Chiefs are never in the media. Everything is speculation.Are you talking about the Peterson years, or the Pioli regime?

I don't think Carl was all that secretive. He'd just pick and choose. Gave info to the guys he knew and liked. Same way he hired head coaches.

DaneMcCloud
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM

The Bucs wanted to interview him for their OC spot. They fired Gruden and immediately replaced him with Raheem Morris and they need an OC.

But you're right: It's all speculation.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
speculation.

Its getting kind of old, Some real news would be nice for a change....

KcMizzou
01-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Its getting kind of old, Some real news would be nice for a change....From what I understand about "The Patriot Way", you'd better get used to it.

(Granted, I'm as impatient as you are.)

Reerun_KC
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
From what I understand about "The Patriot Way", you'd better get used to it.

(Granted, I'm as impatient as you are.)

Figured as much... Actually once we get across this last major hurdle, we all can relax and not worry about much... News or not.

Its just this is the first major move by Pioli and it will give us alot of insight to the future with him as a GM...

DaWolf
01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Gailey as head coach would be a spectacularly bad move...

KCrockaholic
01-23-2009, 12:20 AM
i wouldnt like it, but if what Esiason said about Cowher in 10' is true, it would make sense to fire Herm and promote within the team, such as Gailey for this next year. Then possibly in 2010 Cowher will come to KC, which will ultimately be Gailey's death in KC. If Cowher becomes our coach next year, Gailey wont last a day. remember Kordell Stewart? well Gailey just happened to be the OC in Pittsburgh at that time as well, and things didnt mix well with Cowher and Gailey.

KcMizzou
01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
i wouldnt like it, but if what Esiason said about Cowher in 10' is true, it would make sense to fire Herm and promote within the team, such as Gailey for this next year. Then possibly in 2010 Cowher will come to KC, which will ultimately be Gailey's death in KC. If Cowher becomes our coach next year, Gailey wont last a day. remember Kordell Stewart? well Gailey just happened to be the OC in Pittsburgh at that time as well, and things didnt mix well with Cowher and Gailey.IMO, there's no sense in putting any stock in any of this BS until there's a press conference.

Much ado about nothing.

ChiefRon
01-23-2009, 12:55 AM
i wouldnt like it, but if what Esiason said about Cowher in 10' is true, it would make sense to fire Herm and promote within the team, such as Gailey for this next year. Then possibly in 2010 Cowher will come to KC, which will ultimately be Gailey's death in KC. If Cowher becomes our coach next year, Gailey wont last a day. remember Kordell Stewart? well Gailey just happened to be the OC in Pittsburgh at that time as well, and things didnt mix well with Cowher and Gailey.

Umm, I don't think it has had a lasting effect. Cowher gave high praise when we hired Gailey, and said he would hire him in a second if he were building a staff, or something like that.

KCrockaholic
01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Umm, I don't think it has had a lasting effect. Cowher gave high praise when we hired Gailey, and said he would hire him in a second if he were building a staff, or something like that.

really? well i guess i missed that one. dont remember hearing about it though.

JuicesFlowing
01-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I would be surprised if Gailey becomes HC of the Chiefs. I'm not sure I like the idea.

Fritz88
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
But consider this: the Chiefs denied the Buccaneers the chance to interview Gailey for Tampa Bay’s vacant offensive coordinator job, according to a Kansas City source. If the Chiefs didn’t want Gailey to go, clearly there were some within the organization who wanted him to stay.

The Chiefs also denied its former DC an interview with the lions, two days later, he signs up with them.

ILChief
01-23-2009, 06:13 AM
I could see firing Herm and hiring Gailey as a one year interim coach and go ahead and hire Cowher now for the 2010 season and Cowher would keep Gailey as OC. I could live with that.

PRIEST
01-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Gailey as head coach would be a spectacularly bad move...

This :doh!:

Agree 100%

Bugeater
01-23-2009, 06:43 AM
I could see firing Herm and hiring Gailey as a one year interim coach and go ahead and hire Cowher now for the 2010 season and Cowher would keep Gailey as OC. I could live with that.

Nobody is going to accept a one year head coaching job.

patteeu
01-23-2009, 06:54 AM
After what Gun said this morning in the Star about having to run Herm's defense and not what he likes ... it seems to me they allowed Gun to leave because Herm will get his on DC. If that is true, then Herm will want to keep Gailey because of his success with Thigpen.

That seems like the implication to me too. If they don't want Gailey to leave, I think it's more likely because they think Herm is staying than that they want to promote Gailey (although either could be the case).

patteeu
01-23-2009, 06:57 AM

This quote came from someone at arrowheadpride.com (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/1/16/164751/382) back when Gailey was hired as the Chiefs' OC so take it fwiw:

This sounds like a pretty good endorsment to me. From Bill Cowher:

"Of all the coordinators that I've had work for me, Chan Gailey was, if not the best, one of the best, and as resourceful an offensive mind that I've been around," former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher said of Gailey. "Moreover, his teaching skills are second to none."

King_Chief_Fan
01-23-2009, 07:00 AM

That is a chicken shit move and I don't believe that is the Hunt style.
Gailey is needed to continue the development of the offense. He is the long coordinator that deserves to keep his job and there is no sense in replacing him with someone else.

Chiefs are hanging on the Gailey to coach the offense....just my opinion.

HemiEd
01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
We're going to have 3000 different stories by the time this is done, because the media doesn't know any more than we do.
Buy they know there will be plenty of readers, no matter what they write.

Bugeater
01-23-2009, 07:24 AM
That is a chicken shit move and I don't believe that is the Hunt style.
Gailey is needed to continue the development of the offense. He is the long coordinator that deserves to keep his job and there is no sense in replacing him with someone else.

Chiefs are hanging on the Gailey to coach the offense....just my opinion.
Only if Herm stays, if a new HC is hired he shouldn't have an OC foisted onto him.

chief52
01-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Only if Herm stays, if a new HC is hired he shouldn't have an OC foisted onto him.

Foisted. I do not believe I have ever heard that word. You have expanded my vocabulary. The word fits perfectly.

foist·ed, foist·ing, foists

1. To pass off as genuine, valuable, or worthy: "I can usually tell whether a poet . . . is foisting off on us what he'd like to think is pure invention" (J.D. Salinger).
2. To impose (something or someone unwanted) upon another by coercion or trickery: They had extra work foisted on them because they couldn't say no to the boss.
3. To insert fraudulently or deceitfully: foisted unfair provisions into the contract.

KC Jones
01-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Foisted. I do not believe I have ever heard that word. You have expanded my vocabulary. The word fits perfectly.

foist·ed, foist·ing, foists

1. To pass off as genuine, valuable, or worthy: "I can usually tell whether a poet . . . is foisting off on us what he'd like to think is pure invention" (J.D. Salinger).
2. To impose (something or someone unwanted) upon another by coercion or trickery: They had extra work foisted on them because they couldn't say no to the boss.
3. To insert fraudulently or deceitfully: foisted unfair provisions into the contract.

A CP education is second to none. Before you know it you'll learn all about 2 girls, 1 cup and other math problems.

DJ's left nut
01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
The story says,"the Chiefs denied the Buccaneers the chance to interview Gailey for Tampa Bay’s vacant offensive coordinator job."

You did read the story right? I did not see any mention of him for a HC job other than an extremely vague "one team looking for a HC had him on their list" reference.

That was what I was referring to. He said one team had him on their list and others might have, suggesting his name was at least being batted about.

If that were the case, he'd have been interviewed at least once. By including that part in the story, I think he undermines the entire article's credibility.

FringeNC
01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with Gailey at all. I think he could work well Pioli.

By the way, that's who Cowher thought Pittsburgh should replace him with.

Another thing: for those who hate the spread, the spread is here to stay in the NFL. It may not be an every down offense, but it is and will continue to be used.