PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Teicher: Draft appears to be lean one for pass rushers

Tribal Warfare
01-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Draft appears to be lean one for pass rushers (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/996859.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

MOBILE, Ala. | As they attempt to fix history’s most feeble pass rush, the Chiefs can take heart by looking at a list of this season’s NFL sack leaders.

Many didn’t enter the NFL as early draft picks. Miami’s Joey Porter and the New York Giants’ Justin Tuck were picked in the third round, Minnesota’s Jared Allen in the fourth and Indianapolis’ Robert Mathis in the fifth. James Harrison of Pittsburgh wasn’t drafted at all.

That can provide some hope for the Chiefs in their attempt to add some punch to their pass rush, because this year’s draft contains few, if any, top-shelf defensive ends.

“It’s hard to label groups, but this doesn’t appear to be a good draft for pass rushers,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said. “Some of these guys are going to be really good, and you don’t expect them to be at this point. Who would have thought Jared Allen would turn out to be this kind of player? He wasn’t a first-round pick. He wasn’t a second-round pick.

“The trick is to find those guys. There are no guaranteed stars in this group as far as pass rushers go. If you need one, free agency might be a better way to go.”

As usual, free agency is lean on top pass rushers other than Julius Peppers, assuming he doesn’t re-sign with Carolina. One NFL personnel director said he didn’t think it would be the style of new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli to splurge on a major free agent, even one of Peppers’ stature.

The Chiefs, of course, wouldn’t have such a desperate need for a pass rusher had they not traded Allen last year. They greatly miscalculated their pass-rush capability without him, believing that between improvement from Tamba Hali, the addition of top draft pick Glenn Dorsey and help from others, they could make up for Allen’s loss.

Not only were the Chiefs wrong, but spectacularly so. The Chiefs totaled only 10 sacks, setting an NFL-record low.

“Losing Jared Allen made a difference,” said former Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who took the same job this week with the Detroit Lions. “Taking him out of there, you’re not going to be very successful. Everybody said we should have known that. Well, we all felt that, but what can you say as a football coach, that we’re not going to be very good?

“Everybody wanted Glenn Dorsey to get sacks. First, he has to learn how to get them. That takes time, but he will learn.”

The Chiefs won’t enter next season making the same mistake.

“It’s obvious they have to do something,” a coach for one of the Chiefs’ opponents said. “Those rookie cornerbacks are good players. We were impressed with both of them, surprised at how good they are. And I love (Jarrad) Page at free safety. They’ve got enough physical, cover ability. They’ve got the right guys in the secondary.

“The front seven? Not so good. It obviously killed them to lose Jared Allen. He was really the only one we had to worry about as a pass rusher, and when he was gone, things changed completely.”

If the Chiefs draft a pass rusher, it probably won’t be in the first round.

Brian Orakpo of Texas is generally considered the best defensive end available, but he’s probably not worth the third pick.

“There’s nobody at three who’s there for them to take as far as a pass rusher,” Kiper said. “They’ll have to wait until the second round for that.”

An interesting prospect there could be Michael Johnson, who played for three seasons at Georgia Tech for Chan Gailey, now the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator. Johnson had a disappointing senior season but has the skills to be an effective NFL player.

“He’s a kid with enormous talent, but there were games last year when he was no factor whatsoever,” Kiper said. “He doesn’t play the run all that well. He’s a one-dimensional guy. He’s not real tough, not real physical. But he’s a very gifted athlete.

“He went from a top-five pick on potential when the season started to a late first-round, early second-round kind of guy. He’s a lean kid who still has to fill out yet. He just wasn’t productive. He may wind up as a situational pass rusher because I don’t know if he can hold up against the run.”

Orakpo and Johnson declined invitations to this week’s Senior Bowl. Apparently, neither believed he could help his draft standing by participating.

J Diddy
01-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Mel Kiper is a douche.

ChiefRon
01-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Geez, no QB worth the #3, no pass-rusher worth the #3, oh no what are we going to do? Is there a kicker worth the #3?

RealSNR
01-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Geez, no QB worth the #3, no pass-rusher worth the #3, oh no what are we going to do? Is there a kicker worth the #3?Teichretard wants us to make a stupid decision like drafting Orakpo. He's saying the DE class is weak because then it looks like Carl is still in control. I think it's an issue of finding closure and admittance. The ancien regime is gone.

kcxiv
01-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I was watching NFL network earlier and Mayok said that Orakpo is probably a 3-4 rushing linebacker. lol This draft is going to be interesting.

Mecca
01-23-2009, 02:08 AM
....Teicher is such a moron....

There is no elite end worth 3, but the end class is deep there are going to be quality ends available into the 2nd and 3rd round of this draft.

I don't understand how this is a "lean year for pass rushers" there's no elite guy but there's serious depth you know the team does have more than 1 pick...

When I see how the class looks I expect to see QB and DE be the Chiefs 1st 2 picks...

Red Beans
01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Again I am left wondering why he still has a job...

DeepSouth
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
The last time the Chiefs changed General Managers, they had the fifth overall pick in the draft and took a Line Backer. I'd like to see them draft Aaron Curry from Wake Forest with the number three pick. If not him, I hope they trade the third pick for additional picks.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
The last time the Chiefs changed General Managers, they had the fifth overall pick in the draft and took a Line Backer.

You cant compare what happened 20 years under a different GM to today.

Nobody has any clue what Pioli is thinking for one.

Amnorix
01-23-2009, 08:02 AM
You guys had 10 sacks all year. The NFL's all-time worst pass rush ever blew out Brady's knee? Ugh.

:doh!:

suds79
01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
This just in..... Teicher doesn't like anybody in this draft.

We're screwed. :rolleyes:

tyton75
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
looks like the lack of talent in our "need" positions might force us to take one of the stud OT's and that really wouldn't upset me all that much...

better than a reach and a prayer

Deberg_1990
01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
looks like the lack of talent in our "need" positions might force us to take one of the stud OT's and that really wouldn't upset me all that much...

better than a reach and a prayer

This is why its smart to always take BPA at a position of need.

and the Chiefs need almost everything.

kepp
01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
You guys had 10 sacks all year. The NFL's all-time worst pass rush ever blew out Brady's knee? Ugh.

:doh!:

And, coincidentally, that wasn't a sack either.

Frankie
01-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Great. Our most glowing need is a pass rushing DE and a QB. This draft is considered lean for both positions.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Great. Our most glowing need is a pass rushing DE and a QB. This draft is considered lean for both positions.

For DE's it is lean only for top tier talent. There are a lot of 2nd - 3rd round guys that should be available at DE.

DeepSouth
01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
You cant compare what happened 20 years under a different GM to today.

Nobody has any clue what Pioli is thinking for one.
Compare or not, the Chiefs starting linebacking core is weak. I believe it's just as big of a need as any other position. The only other position in this draft that has players worthy of the number 3 pick is offensive tackle (maybe WR). Most teams don't draft a right tackle that high in the draft. I think Curry is the real deal and would make an immediate impact on the defense.

talastan
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Compare or not, the Chiefs starting linebacking core is weak. I believe it's just as big of a need as any other position. The only other position in this draft that has players worthy of the number 3 pick is offensive tackle (maybe WR). Most teams don't draft a right tackle that high in the draft. I think Curry is the real deal and would make an immediate impact on the defense.

Curry is defintely talented, but is he another DT? That is the type of LB you have to draft at #3 otherwise, I think it is going to be Stafford or Sanchez. That is unless Everette Brown can seperate himself from everyone else.

BigChiefFan
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, let's spend our 2nd round pick on a one-dimensional player, who played like shit this past year. Teichead needs a new profession.

DeepSouth
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Curry is defintely talented, but is he another DT? That is the type of LB you have to draft at #3 otherwise, I think it is going to be Stafford or Sanchez. That is unless Everette Brown can seperate himself from everyone else.

I'm not convinced either of those QB's have Matt Ryan or Flacco talent. I'd rather the Chiefs take an offensive tacke or WR Crabtree.

Rooster
01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Geez, no QB worth the #3, no pass-rusher worth the #3, oh no what are we going to do? Is there a kicker worth the #3?

All that work to suck this year in hopes of a draft reward. Now KC has the #3 and nobody is worth it. :(

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
And, coincidentally, that wasn't a sack either.
IIRC, it was a 30-yard completion to Moss, who then fumbled.

Frankie
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
For DE's it is lean only for top tier talent. There are a lot of 2nd - 3rd round guys that should be available at DE.

Rd 3 or 4 is where I'm hoping we pick a draft sleeper in that area. You know, the guy nobody expects to be great. Ala Jared Allen.

El Jefe
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm not convinced either of those QB's have Matt Ryan or Flacco talent. I'd rather the Chiefs take an offensive tacke or WR Crabtree.

This whole post made me LMAO.