PDA

View Full Version : Football Crowder to test FA market

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Some team, IMO, will overpay for him. He's a good, solid player but not worth a ton of $$.

Channing Crowder, other Dolphins to test free agent market

By Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
January 22, 2009

MOBILE, Ala. - At the end of the season Channing Crowder apologized to the media for not being around much by joking he was busy using his lunch break to find a new job.

The Dolphins' four-year starter was hinting the only NFL team he's ever played for might not want him back, and he likely came to that conclusion based on the Dolphins' contract offer, one they haven't improved on, according to a source.

"I'm a system guy," Crowder said, referring to the way he's perceived by the team's front office. "Tackles are easy," Crowder said, referring to his career-high 119 tackles in 16 games. "You get paid off big plays. [I have] no big plays."

Crowder's prepared to discover if other teams disagree with the Dolphins' assessment and will offer him a contract that pays him like he's a starting linebacker when free agency opens Feb. 27.

All of the Dolphins' key free agents likely will take the same approach. The belief is that all five of the free agent starters — Crowder, right tackle Vernon Carey, cornerback Andre' Goodman and safeties Renaldo Hill and Yeremiah Bell — presently aren't getting the Dolphins' best offer.

"The players that we're negotiating with, they know where we stand on things," General Manager Jeff Ireland said. "I think the negotiations are going OK.

"They are not fast and furious right now, but they know were we stand, and there is good communication."

Drew Rosenhaus, the agent who represents Bell and Hill, said negotiations between teams looking to re-sign their own players typically heats up around the NFL combine, which begins Feb. 18.

"It's early. Real preliminary," Rosenhaus said of his discussions regarding Bell and Hill. "Right now we're feeling each other out."

The Dolphins may be waiting to determine the draft's depth at each position and gauge what free agents from other teams will hit the open market before locking down their own players.

This could be risky because an unplanned departure of any of the five starters could create another hole in the roster. But Ireland didn't seem concerned about letting the free agents test the market.

"I think it's certainly realistic that you can keep all of them," Ireland said. "It's also realistic that you could lose a couple of them, too."

Ireland also said he wasn't concerned about Bell, Hill and Goodman all being in their early 30s, despite this regime's intentions to make the roster younger.

"We're just looking for good football players. I think all those guys back there showed that they are still playing at a high level, so [their age] doesn't concern me," Ireland said. "Obviously we have to find good football players, and if they are 30 or 31, then that's what we're looking for."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flspdolphins22sbjan22,0,194729.story

tyton75
01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
depending on how much he is wanting... I think he would be an improvement

(but really, who wouldn't) lol

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Also Vernon Carey could improve the Chiefs line at right offensive tackle.

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Also Vernon Carey could improve the Chiefs line at right offensive tackle.

I'd rather add Carey than Crowder. I think you can find a sufficient LB in the draft or get one in FA cheaper than what Crowder thinks he is worth.

Carey might not be looking to go elsewhere, though, since he was born and raised in Miami and went to UM.

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Right now the 2009 free agent market at linebacker looks to be about the best position to select from. I think that is a position where Pioli might improve the Chiefs with some mid-level free agents and using lower round draft picks.

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
The one reason I thought Carey might be willing to go elsewhere was he wanted to sign a contract earlier and Miami did not want to talk. He or his agent said fine, we will see what happens in free agency then.

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 10:02 AM
From - http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-omarblog011509,0,1866001.story

RT Vernon Carey - This former Miami Northwestern Bull and Miami Hurricane has been a durable starter for four straight seasons. He's started 64 of the 78 games playing for his hometown team. He'll turn 28 during the 2009 season. While Carey, who allowed 5 1/2 sacks in 17 games, didn't have a dominant 2008 season during a contract year, he also wasn't an issue on the team's most troublesome unit.

Most teams view him as a physical run blocking tackle, who also has the flexibility to play some guard. His successful stint as a left tackle in 2007 could drive up his signing price considering that's one of the toughest, and most critical spots to fill in the NFL.

Dallas' Marc Columbo, a comparable player, recently re-signed with Dallas, receiving a four-year deal that pays him $22 million, with $11.5 million of it guaranteed. Is Carey worth $5.5 million a season?

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
From the same story but talking about Crowder...

ILB Channing Crowder - This former Gator had his most productive season as an NFL starter in 2008, and it happened to coincide with his first season as the team's every down inside linebacker. He also served as the defense's signal caller for the second time in his career (he replaced an injured Zach Thomas in that role last season before being sidelined by a knee injury). Despite being shelved one game by another knee injury that's lingered throughout his pro career Crowder finished second on the team with 113 tackles (92 were solo stops). But he's contributed just 1 1/2 sacks, forced four fumbles, recovered three and broken up 14 passes in his NFL career. Does that spot need someone who is more of a playmaker?

Despite being a four-year starter, Crowder has been paid 50 cents on the dollar of what he's been worth to the Dolphins. Last season he made $1,000,000, which nearly totaled his base salary for the previous three seasons (which was $1,015,000). The former third-round pick, who will turn 26 at the end of the 2009 season, is understandably looking for his first big NFL payday.

Mr. Laz
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
isn't crowder the guy that's been arrested 3/4 times already?

blueballs
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
FIL could come in handy here for Pioli

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
While still at Florida...

Gators LB Crowder arrested for disorderly conduct
By David Jones, Florida Today
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — A nightclub brawl last spring put Channing Crowder's Florida football career in jeopardy. Now, the preseason All-America linebacker has apparently tempted fate again at the same spot that got him in trouble previously.

DJ's left nut
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Gotta figure out what defense we'll run before any of this is worth speculating about.

I personally think Miami is right, Crowder is a system guy. However, if we run a system that fits his skillset (rangey MLB), he's a good guy to consider. If we're able to get a guy like Haynesworth to occupy blockers and let him move in space, I think he'd do very well for us.

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Some 2009 free agent linebackers
Ray Lewis, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Eric Barton, UFA, New York Jets
Mike Peterson, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Bart Scott, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Jonathan Vilma, UFA, New Orleans Saints
Michael Boley, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
Jordan Beck, UFA, Denver Broncos
Monty Beisel, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Angelo Crowell, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Channing Crowder, UFA, Miami Dolphins
James Farrior, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Tyjuan Hagler, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Leroy Hill, UFA, Seattle Sehawks
Willie McGinest, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Carlos Polk, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Sam Williams, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Wilson8
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
2009 Free agents for right tackle. There are a couple of others here that KC might consider but Vernon Carey looks to be one of the better ones.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Mark Tauscher, UFA, Green Bay Packers
Marvel Smith, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Stacy Andrews, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Khalif Barnes, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Vernon Carey, UFA, Miami Dolphins
Jon Runyan, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
2009 Free agents for right tackle. There are a couple of others here that KC might consider but Vernon Carey looks to be one of the better ones.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Mark Tauscher, UFA, Green Bay Packers
Marvel Smith, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Stacy Andrews, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Khalif Barnes, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Vernon Carey, UFA, Miami Dolphins
Jon Runyan, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

I'd take Carey over the others. Jordan Gross is overrated and will be extremely overpaid. Marvel Smith is injury prone. Khalif Barnes sucks. Jon Runyan is old.