PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Was Herm fired because Pioli wanted to or because of the pressure from the press?

Fritz88
01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
This can be a better title:

Was Herm fired because Pioli thought it was the right time or because of the pressure from the press?

I have come across many articles that are reprimanding Pioli for keeping
Herm in the dark for so long. These articles surfaced almost all within 2-3 days from each other.

Now the question is. Was Herm fired because Pioli can't keep him waiting for so long and he got into hot water with the media or he planned to fire him that day anyway?

To me it seems that perhaps Clark told Pioli to either fire Herm or let him know what is going on.

suds79
01-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Given how tight lipped Pioli & Clark seem to run things around Arrowhead, I don't think they give a sh!t what the press thinks or writes.

So no I don't think any pressure effected him at all.

CupidStunt
01-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Pioli does whatever the hell he wants whenever the hell he wants to do it.

Skip Towne
01-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Pioli doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who gives two shits what the media thinks. At least I hope so.

Coach
01-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Given how tight lipped Pioli & Clark seem to run things around Arrowhead, I don't think they give a sh!t what the press thinks or writes.

I agree. I think Pioli wanted Herm's thoughts and opinions (Really, shouldn't matter, but better to be prepared) on the players and such, one would suppose, before relieving him.

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm sure he wanted to fire him a lot sooner, but wanted to humor Clark.
I also think Clark wanted Herm fired sooner too, but waned to humor Herm.

milkman
01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Pioli is going to do things in his own damn time and his own damn way.

I'm sure he's learned from Belichick that the press is irrelevent.

chief52
01-24-2009, 07:59 AM
The press had ZERO influence on this decision and will continue to have the same amount of influence in the future.

Could you imagine trying to run an NFL franchise and giving any value to to the opinion of the uninformed press? Pioli has been trained by Parcells and Belichik...those two really have a soft spot for the media :)

the Talking Can
01-24-2009, 08:07 AM
ha ha

Reerun_KC
01-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Pioli does whatever the hell he wants whenever the hell he wants to do it.

:thumb:

I approve this message!

Manila-Chief
01-24-2009, 08:25 AM
I also think Clark wanted Herm fired sooner too, but waned to humor Herm.

This is what I was thinking earlier this A.M. Clark wanted to keep Herm. If it were Pioli's sole decision he would have been gone within the first few days. He is very intelligent and knew going in Herm would not be retained. But had to humor Clark. I disagree that Clark wanted to humor Herm as being the reason for the delay.

Yes, Pioli wanted to pick Herm's brain, but would have only taken a few days. Yes, his style is to be methodical, but not to this extent. I hope he didn’t tie his hands for finding a replacement … I know… I know … I know … guys like Pioli are very confident that they can still find the best coach.

And, he may have his mystery coach tucked away somewhere. So far, he still earns my full trust and I’ll be happy with his decision, but I think he let the best candidates get away. I’m not too happy with any of the ones the Star listed this A.M. Hate to say it but the Rat looks to be the best of the bunch???

Enough rambling … the good news …. HERM IS GONE!!! I say that because it was beginning to look like Pioli would be forced to keep him.

DaKCMan AP
01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
:stupid:

Deberg_1990
01-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Was Herm fired because Pioli thought it was the right time or because of the pressure from the press?

Herm was fired for being 15-33 in 3 years.

Brock
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
The press has no power.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM

this

brent102fire
01-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Herm got fired because he won 6 games over the last 2 years, period.

SAUTO
:stupid:

ROFL but true

SAUTO
could also be because of the NO ACCOUNTABILITY on herms part

siberian khatru
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Pioli is showing everyone that there's a new sheriff in town.

He's under no pressure at all from the media. In fact, it's the exact opposite: By freezing them out, he's demonstrating who has the power. They're all running around in the dark and squirming and crying about not knowing what's going on.

Carl cared way too much about the media. Pioli doesn't give a flying fuck.

King_Chief_Fan
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
doesn't matter...as long as Herm is gone

Old Dog
01-24-2009, 09:55 AM
maybe because Herms record "Spoke for itself"?

tmax63
01-24-2009, 10:03 AM
As has been said in many other threads, It's the bottom line. CH and SP could give a flying fornication what the press or anybody else thinks. CH has demonstrated this by firing a 20 yr employee to get someone better because a better product makes more money. The fact that everyone agreed with the move is coincidental. SP got the info he needed from Herm and decided that a better coach would win more games and make more money. I also think IMHO that Pioli has somebody in mind and pretty well signed or else you wouldn't cut someone loose unles you were assured of getting something better.

StcChief
01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Pioli doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who gives two shits what the media thinks. At least I hope so.
exactly. Especially the lapdog KC media.

el borracho
01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
No, Herm was fired because he is a miserable failure as an NFL head coach.

el borracho
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
...Yes, Pioli wanted to pick Herm's brain, but would have only taken a few days. ...

More like a few minutes, lol.

blueballs
01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Teams are not allowed to make announcements during Super Bowl week
and Herm's usefulness was used up -had to cut him now
the job opening brings a nice buzz and story line for SB week -good PR

whoman69
01-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Pioli was told to see if there was a possibility in keeping Herm by the owner. It was probably a good idea as he got a glance at what the situation is here. Anybody else would have told the owner they'd give Herm a look and then fired him the next day.

Craqhead
01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Bottom line... I DONT CARE... he's gone thank the football gawds.

Sure i wish it had came earlier so that perhaps some of the guys that just got hired as HC's around the NFL had the chance too interview w/ the Chiefs.

I'm sure Pioli has a plan... and I like many others "wish that we the fans, and press where made aware of the Chiefs plans" But ya know what, really we dont need too know whom they are looking for as HC.

TEX
01-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Who cares WHY... he's FKN GONE! :clap:

RustShack
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Pioli probably canceled the cable and newspaper subscription to Arrowhead. He doesn't let information out or in.

PastorMikH
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd say that Pioli taking some time to review the situation in KC before making any moves should have been expected. IMO 2 weeks isn't dragging it out if you are really giving the uncumbant a chance to keep his job.

01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Pioli doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who gives two shits what the media thinks. At least I hope so.THIS

eazyb81
01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah, Pioli probably was scared to death of guys like Joe Posnanski and Jeff Flanagan calling him to task in such a powerful and world-renowned newspaper as the KC Star.

Thus, while he was extremely impressed with Herm's resume, knowledge of the game, and focus on excellence and execution, he felt he had to fire him just to keep the press at bay for the time being. Despite being at the helm of a franchise that won 3 Super Bowls this decade, he is very insecure with himself and his abilities, and I'm sure he feels his only key to success is to make the local media happy.

However, he now has another big decision to make regarding the head coach, so I can only assume he is furiously refreshing kcstar.com to see if the braintrust at the sports section has come to a unanimous decision on who the next coach should be.

Fritz88
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
he is furiously refreshing kcstar.com

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Mojo Jojo
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Given the "Patriot Way" I can't believe that Scott did anything because of the press or fans. He comes from a background, The Tuna and BB, that doesn't give a s%&t about outside forces and pressure.

Nightfyre
01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Seriously, no noobs should be able to start threads until like 1500 posts. Thank Fritz88 for ruining it for everyone.

Mojo Jojo
01-24-2009, 04:05 PM

The funny thing is that for all bitching KK and Jack H. have done the past 15+ years; it isn't going to get any better. If he sticks with the Pats way, Scott will do what he wants when he wants to do it and the media can go to hell!!!!

Way to go Scott. Everyone wanted a change and from the media side the game remains the same.

Amnorix
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Rest assured, as a close watcher of the Belichick/Pioli era:

They do not give a rat's ass what you or any other fan thinks. They do not give a rat's ass what the press thinks. They know more than you, and they know it. You will cheer if/when they give you a winning team, and that's what they will count on.

Your opinion is UTTERLY irrelevant. The faster you get used to that, the happier you will be.

The press will not be happy about this, however. Just as they won't be happy that they can't get any inside scoops out of them.

warrior
01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, Pioli wanted to pick Herm's brain, but would have only taken a few days.

Herm had a brain ? who would've known. :rolleyes:

StcChief
01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I also think Clark wanted Herm fired sooner too, but waned to humor Herm. and
Herm wanted to be fired early so he could head back to Cali for the offseason....

StcChief
01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Rest assured, as a close watcher of the Belichick/Pioli era:

They do not give a rat's ass what you or any other fan thinks. They do not give a rat's ass what the press thinks. They know more than you, and they know it. You will cheer if/when they give you a winning team, and that's what they will count on.

Your opinion is UTTERLY irrelevant. The faster you get used to that, the happier you will be.

The press will not be happy about this, however. Just as they won't be happy that they can't get any inside scoops out of them.
I love it, running the Chiefs like a business to win. Not let the media or fans dictate any kind of pressue. ..... what a concept.

IF Carl could have focused on winning....but wait saving Lamar's money was more important and butts in the seats at all times.

Red Dawg
01-24-2009, 04:28 PM
No way Scotty gave in to pressure. After getting 3 SB rings I doubt too much shakes him up. He knows how to make a sound decision.

MTG#10
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Pioli could give a shit less what the press thinks about him.

MTG#10
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM