PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs If not Shanahan..

Frankie
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
... then it might really be the case that Todd Haley is the candidate Pioli is focusing on. With that in mind, somebody posted this article/editorial on another Chiefs forum which I found kind of interesting:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/115032-potential-reasons-why-kurt-warner-will-sign-with-kansas-city

Ten Reasons Kurt Warner Will Sign with Kansas City

The Kansas City Chiefs fired coach Herm Edwards after posting a 15-34 record in three seasons, including 2-14 this season. Since the hiring of Scott Pioli as general manager, it has been rumored that changes within the organization will occur. Former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan's name continues to surface as a possibility of becoming the next head coach; however, it remains unlikely Shanahan will be coaching in Kansas City next season.

After the Super Bowl, the Chiefs will seek permission to talk with Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley regarding the vacant coaching position. Haley's stock has flourished in conjunction with the Cardinals run through the NFC playoffs and the team's first ever Super Bowl appearance. Both Haley and Pioli have one major connection: Bill Parcells.

Only three NFL franchises have posted worse records than the Chiefs in the past three years; Detroit, Oakland and St. Louis. Kansas City has traditionally been a winning franchise until recently. Since the Chiefs play in a weak AFC West division, the possibility of turning the franchise around in a shorter period of time increases.

If the Chiefs decide to hire Haley as head coach, he will bring the explosive passing offense from Arizona to Kansas City. Haley needs a gunslinger for a quarterback and balance at the wide receiver position to be successful.

Mel Kiper has posted his 2009 mock NFL draft on espn.com. Right now, Kiper has the Chiefs selecting USC quarterback Matt Sanchez at No. 3. Kansas City does need to upgrade the quarterback position, but Kiper based this selection on Edwards still being coach.

The hiring of Haley will probably lead the team to select Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree with the No. 3 pick. Realistically, Haley wants a quick turnaround with the franchise and drafting a QB will slow him down. Crabtree provides Haley with a balanced wide receiver attack, similar to Larry Fitzgerald and Anquin Boldin in Arizona, with Dwayne Bowe and future hall-of-fame TE Tony Gonzalez.

The Chiefs already have RB Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles in place. Ultimately, Haley will be seeking a free-agent quarterback. If Kansas City does hire Haley as head coach, the following 10 reasons represent why Kurt Warner will be the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback next season:

1. Haley is head coach

2. Warner has familiarity with Haley's offensive system

3. Warner is an unrestricted free-agent

4. Economic decision by Arizona Cardinals. Matt Leinart was No. 10 pick in 2006 NFL Draft and makes a substantial amount of money as a back-up. Can't keep him on the bench much longer.

5. At 37, seeking a potential two-year deal to finish career

6. Guarantee starting quarterback job

7. Gets to throw to Bowe, Crabtree and Gonzalez

8. Play in a weak AFC West division

9. Opportunity to play in the Midwest (originally from Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

10. Irony. Began NFL career in Missouri (St. Louis); will end NFL career in Missouri (Kansas City)

If that turns out to be true, do you think the Chiefs will go after someone like Harrell or Freeman as a 2 year grooming project? I guess I will be watching the Senior Bowl today with the extra incentive of watching Harrell and the rest of the Senior QBs.

JuicesFlowing
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
No thanks. As appealing as a soon-to-be 38 year old QB is, I think I'll pass.

Basileus777
01-24-2009, 01:02 PM
He isn't leaving Arizona.

Rausch
01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
If we signed Spurt AND drafted a QB in round 1, yeah, I'd be cool with that.

I do not like signing an old vet for the sake of a 1 year playoff push...

milkman
01-24-2009, 01:06 PM

This.

kcpasco
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
As long as we draft a young qb, I wouldn't mind.

milkman

Now, that is not a bad idea.

Stafford/Sanchez learning from Warner could work.

sparkky
I absolutely cannot see that happening and wouldn't be a happy camper if it did.
One of the youngest teams in the NFL doesn't need one of the oldest QB's in the NFL.

milkman
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I absolutely cannot see that happening and wouldn't be a happy camper if it did.
One of the youngest teams in the NFL doesn't need one of the oldest QB's in the NFL.

That was my initial reaction, but Rausch makes a good point.

Sure-Oz
01-24-2009, 01:12 PM
7 years ago sure

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM

I don't know, if Warner can play like this under Haley for a year or two, this might be a chance for us to develop a QBOTF.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:15 PM
He isn't leaving Arizona.

That's no stronger a speculation than his leaving AZ.

DeezNutz
01-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you.

the Talking Can

yes

as long as we draft a QB, otherwise we're just cheating the rebuild and in two years we still won't have a QB....

Frankie

The playoff push would only be a secondary windfall to actually having a young QB learn under Haley and Warner.

Rausch
01-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't know, if Warner can play like this under Haley for a year or two, this might be a chance for us to develop a QBOTF.

Exactly. Best route to go imo.

Look at the Titans, Cardinals, Packers, Steelers, etc.

Sign the vet, draft the rookie, and you've covered all the bases. If the rook is ready you start him and have a solid 3-4 game b/u. If he's not ready you have a guy to keep the team floating until he is.

It's not either build for the future or win now, it's doing both...

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Now, that is not a bad idea.

Stafford/Sanchez learning from Warner could work.

Either one of those would want to start right away. I think the Warner scenario fits getting someone like Freeman and developing him.

the Talking Can
01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Either one of those would want to start right away. I think the Warner scenario fits getting someone like Freeman and developing him.

who cares what they want...

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM

On the contrary, one of the youngest teams with some talent could benefit from an experienced pilot.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:21 PM
yes

as long as we draft a QB, otherwise we're just cheating the rebuild and in two years we still won't have a QB....

that would HAVE to be part of the scenario. I agree.

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
This guy obviously doesn't know shit about Clark, or Pioli.

DeezNutz
01-24-2009, 01:23 PM

We have to care.

Otherwise Pioli would be mean. And that would be wrong.

Frankie
I'm seeing mixed reactions here. But let me ask you, will you be watching the Senior Ball with extra attention on the QBs?

sparkky
That was my initial reaction, but Rausch makes a good point.

it is a valid point but I doubt Warner can offer any more "knowledge" than Huard could. Warner is just a better passer.

I don't have a problem with a qb pick, just the waste of $$ it would take to get him here. And why would he even consider coming here? He'd be crazy to leave the Cards and the Vikes could use a qb and are a lot closer to competing than we are.

We couldn't compete next year if God was the head coach, Christ was the OC, the devil at DC and mother mary the trainer.

Frankie
This guy obviously doesn't know shit about Clark, or Pioli.

We really don't know that much either.

beach tribe

For real. Who gives a shit what they want? STFU, hold the clip board, and pay the fuck attention.

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
We really don't know that much either.

I know that Clark wants a young franchise QB, and that Edwards leaving doesn't change that.

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
it is a valid point but I doubt Warner can offer any more "knowledge" than Huard could. Warner is just a better passer.

I don't have a problem with a qb pick, just the waste of $$ it would take to get him here. And why would he even consider coming here? He'd be crazy to leave the Cards and the Vikes could use a qb and are a lot closer to competing than we are.

We couldn't compete next year if God was the head coach, Christ was the OC, the devil at DC and mother mary the trainer.

Yeah, now that I think of it, why the hell would Warner want anything to do with a rebuild in the twilight of his career.

Rausch
01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

We were competitive this year with dog$#it at HC and DC.

Our problem wasn't being in games or having a chance to win, it was finishing. It was winning the ****ing game...

Dayze
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM
if he comes to KC, and we draft a #1 QB etc; will the draftee start? or will Warner?

Either way, whoever starts will be dead by week 6.

sparkky
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
On the contrary, one of the youngest teams with some talent could benefit from an experienced pilot.

IMO, then go get Ray Lewis.

not bashin' ya Frankie, we just see things different.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM

I really think Warner is closer to Manning than to Huard. Plus we are talking about the eventuality of Haley's offense, which Warner knows a lot more than Huard about.

I don't have a problem with a qb pick, just the waste of $$ it would take to get him here.

If there was ever a year to open the purse it's this year. One of these years we have to use some of that cap money and slightly overpay one or two guys. For example if Peppers is available I would definitely try to compete for him and maybe end up overpaying him a bit. Same would go for Warner on a short contract if we could get this kind of production from him.

Ye of little faith. I think actually we have some talent on this roster.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
IMO, then go get Ray Lewis.

not bashin' ya Frankie, we just see things different."Bashin" never crossed my mind. :)

Rausch
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
if he comes to KC, and we draft a #1 QB etc; will the draftee start? or will Warner?

Not if they're durable.

Thigpen didn't get killed and he was a scrambler. And Spurt is very good (now) at getting rid of the ball and not getting beat up...

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I know that Clark wants a young franchise QB, and that Edwards leaving doesn't change that.

But Clark may have been talking about developing one. Not necessarily having one THIS year.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
We were competitive this year with dog$#it at HC and DC.

Our problem wasn't being in games or having a chance to win, it was finishing. It was winning the ****ing game...

Good point.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Let's assume Pioli will see to it we fill Oline holes this year via draft or FA.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
The Chiefs already have RB Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles in place. Ultimately, Haley will be seeking a free-agent quarterback. If Kansas City does hire Haley as head coach, the following 10 reasons represent why Kurt Warner will be the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback next season:

Then Haley can lick my sack. Whoever wrote this is an even GREATER boob than Athan.

chiefforlife
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I like the idea. Its at least worth discussing...

kcfanXIII
01-24-2009, 01:42 PM
still need help at o-line, and my god, the putrid remains of a once great defense need to be rebuilt too. too much money invested in an area of marginal need. i'd like to see a new qb brought in, but with thigpen the chiefs are closer to an actual profesional football player at qb, then say, middle linebacker, or defensive end. the offensive linestill needs some work as well. thigpen might not be the long term answer at this point, but he has played well enough i'm not 100% sure we draft qb in first round. not even sure we go offense in the first round, there are a couple of stud middle linebackers coming out.

sparkky
01-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm figuring in the factor of many new coaches and new schemes. I don't think young guys adapt to system changes as quickly as older vets.

I agree, we were "competitive" in individual games. I consider finishing with a .500 or better record record as being "competitive." I'm more interested in competing for titles than in individual games.
"At the end of the day" (sorry guys, couldn't stop myself!) when you finish like we did, you're not competitive.

I agree that we have some young talent and potential on the team. While Herm had several short comings, I do think he had a decent eye for talent.

I'm on board with spending cash, I just don't know that Warner is the place to do it. Peppers, bring him on!!

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm sure you thought the same thing about the dolphins after last season.

This league is set up for quick fixes if the men making the decisions make the right ones. I think our braintrust is more than capable of putting a 9-7, 10-6 team on the field next season, and deliver a home PO game in 2010.

It happens every year.

whoman69
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
There is no way in hell the Cardinals are letting go a QB that got them to their only Super Bowl. They have already stated he will be back. You don't do negotiations during the playoffs.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm sure you thought the same thing about the dolphins after last season.

This league is set up for quick fixes if the men making the decisions make the right ones. I think our braintrust is more than capable of putting a 9-7, 10-6 team on the field next season, and deliver a home PO game in 2010.

It happens every year.

Not to mention Atlanta. We had two teams who picked in the top three of the draft who made the playoffs.

kysirsoze
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
7 years ago sure

He still looks pretty damn good. I think he could work while we groom our franchise guy. This one's too close for me to call. I'll to defer to Pioli:shrug:

RustShack
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
As much as I hate this possibility... I wouldn't rule out Pioli going for a vet QB. Parcells obviously loves his QB to be a vet and I think Billichick has always used one too until injury and winning the lottery with Brady. Don't even bring up Cassel, any QB can succeed in that situation the Pats have now.

Brock
01-24-2009, 02:32 PM
As much as I hate this possibility... I wouldn't rule out Pioli going for a vet QB. Parcells obviously loves his QB to be a vet and I think Billichick has always used one too until injury and winning the lottery with Brady. Don't even bring up Cassel, any QB can succeed in that situation the Pats have now.

No, not "any QB" can succeed in that situation.

beach tribe
01-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Not to mention Atlanta. We had two teams who picked in the top three of the draft who made the playoffs.

A pass rush, and a LB or two could dramatically impact our D, and couple good O-linemen could have us putting 21 on the board about every week. Will those additions alone get our boys a ring....No, but with the cap space we have, and Scot fuqin Pioli determining our needs, and filling them, we will scare some teams in 2010.

RustShack
01-24-2009, 02:35 PM
No, not "any QB" can succeed in that situation.

Almost any NFL backup could. Besides Cassel was just the backup to a now veteran Brady. Its pretty common for the backup to be young unless the starter is young... even then the backup is still young sometimes.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
A pass rush, and a LB or two could dramatically impact our D, and couple good O-linemen could have us putting 21 on the board about every week. Will those additions alone get our boys a ring....No, but with the cap space we have, and Scot fuqin Pioli determining our needs, and filling them, we will scare some teams in 2010.

Add to that we don't want to expose our young guys to an extended culture of losing. We need to do something to at least win 8 or 9 games next year. Not as a blue print of the future, but as a step on the way up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Add to that we don't want to expose our young guys to an extended culture of losing. We need to do something to at least win 8 or 9 games next year. Not as a blue print of the future, but as a step on the way up.

That is contradictory to everything Scott has said so far. We're not getting quick fixes here, and I for one am glad of it.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
That is contradictory to everything Scott has said so far. We're not getting quick fixes here, and I for one am glad of it.

Obviously it's his decision, not mine, but I still think we should not extend the losing habit. Sometimes that becomes too hard to exorcize out of young players.

splatbass
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM

I disagree. A good coach, with the help of a good GM (Pioli) can turn this around fast. A couple of quality free agents, some good game day coaching, and we aren't far away. We were competitive in most of our losses this season. And being in a weak division helps us too.

Chiefshrink
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
He'll retire if he wins the Bowl, count on it!!

kcchiefsus
01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
This dumbass author makes the assumption our new head coach will be the one in charge of personnel decisions.

Scott Pioli says hello.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Obviously it's his decision, not mine, but I still think we should not extend the losing habit. Sometimes that becomes too hard to exorcize out of young players.

We'll get 500, and that should be more than enough to get the young guys jazzed for 2010.

Frankie
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
He'll retire if he wins the Bowl, count on it!!

who?

Hammock Parties
01-24-2009, 07:31 PM
The Chiefs already have RB Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles in place. Ultimately, Haley will be seeking a free-agent quarterback.

This is some shitty ass reasoning if I ever saw it.

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Haley spooks me. He's an OC. We need a HC. Shannahan, Cowher, Parcells.

Cojones is the key word

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I disagree. A good coach, with the help of a good GM (Pioli) can turn this around fast. A couple of quality free agents, some good game day coaching, and we aren't far away. We were competitive in most of our losses this season. And being in a weak division helps us too.

Wise man

Frankie
01-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Haley spooks me. He's an OC. We need a HC. Shannahan, Cowher, Parcells.

Cojones is the key word

Shannahan, Cowher, Parcells were coordinators before they were successful HCs.

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Shannahan, Cowher, Parcells were coordinators before they were successful HCs.

Yes, this is true. But we do not need another project. We need a proven winner.

And how many teams has Haley coached to a SB?

FloridaMan88
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I have no problem with Warner as a veteran stopgap QB while the Chiefs draft a QB like Sanchez as their QBOTF.

Warner has always embraced the role of tutoring younger QB's (Marc Bulger in St. Louis, Eli Manning in New York and Matt Leinart in Arizona).

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, this is true. But we do not need another project. We need a proven winner.

And how many teams has Haley coached to a SB?

Another project? Who was the first project? Herm Edwards? Don't say yes, just resist the temptation.

This is so fucking typical of a Chiefs fan; a big, wide open, and uncertain world opens up, and the weak-willed wanna' go running post-haste to their security blanky.

"It's not about finding the best, it's about finding the RIGHT person(s)".

Pioli is looking for someone with a certain dynamic, knowledge of the strategy of the game, and someone who will fit with, and I can't stress this enough, HIS PROGRAM.

And you can bet that Cowher and Rat are NOT lining up at the door to surrender their ego's to Scott's vision. And don't give me that "Shannahan said he would work with Pioli" nonsense.

Working with, and acquiesing to, are two different things altogether.

The end of this drama can't come soon enough; I am SO sick of this shit.

FloridaMan88
01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Todd Haley as head coach. Shanahan is still my #1 choice, but the idea of Haley as an aggressive, pass-oriented guy is very appealing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Todd Haley as head coach. Shanahan is still my #1 choice, but the idea of Haley as an aggressive, pass-oriented guy is very appealing.

Me too. If he had a better line and an RB with more juice than James, I bet we'd see more running coming from Haley and the Cards as well.

Their defense is about to be tested big-time too. If that D comes up big, I wouldn't mind KC taking a look at Pendergast; talk about turning chicken shit in to chicken salad!

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Another project? Who was the first project? Herm Edwards? Don't say yes, just resist the temptation.

This is so ****ing typical of a Chiefs fan; a big, wide open, and uncertain world opens up, and the weak-willed wanna' go running post-haste to their security blanky.

"It's not about finding the best, it's about finding the RIGHT person(s)".

Pioli is looking for someone with a certain dynamic, knowledge of the strategy of the game, and someone who will fit with, and I can't stress this enough, HIS PROGRAM.

And you can bet that Cowher and Rat are NOT lining up at the door to surrender their ego's to Scott's vision. And don't give me that "Shannahan said he would work with Pioli" nonsense.

Working with, and acquiesing to, are two different things altogether.

The end of this drama can't come soon enough; I am SO sick of this shit.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Do you have a sneaker for Haley or what. Don't wet your dide.

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 09:00 PM
This is so ****ing typical of a Chiefs fan; a big, wide open, and uncertain world opens up, and the weak-willed wanna' go running post-haste to their security blanky.

Excuse me and just what makes you an expert of a typical Chiefs fan?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I just did; pay attention.

Do you have a sneaker for Haley or what.

I've spent the last four months being schooled by the more knowledgeable posters on this board in an effort to help reduce the number of posts which scream "Homeristic True Fan".
Like yours.

Don't wet your dide.

My bowels and urinary tract are far more effective than your football acumen, thank you.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Excuse me and just what makes you an expert of a typical Chiefs fan?

See last post.

Skip Towne
01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Let's Peter Principle Haley!! Yeah!!

jjchieffan
01-24-2009, 09:31 PM

I think starting either of them right away would be a mistake. Especially Sanchez. They could both use that extra year of college to tell the truth, and whoever drafts them needs to have them on the bench for their rookie year. Warner would be great in the role of short term starter/ mentor to help bring the young QB along.