PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals The most candid GM chat ever

tk13
01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
St. Louis Cardinals GM John Mozeliak apparently had a chat earlier this week, and I'd have to say I've never seen a GM or coach take questions like he did. Not to mention he actually responded to them, which I'm not sure was a great idea, haha.

http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/sports/cards-l%20ive/LD011609628/all

Some highlights:

dixie2003: Mr. Mozeliak, I would like to know how you were able to make a competitive offer to Brian Fuentes, then sign Royce Ring on the cheap? How do you go from a top tier free agent then sign a guy with an over 8 era? Is there any chance of signing a player that any other team would actually want?

John Mozeliak: Interesting question, and the answer is supply and demand. Yes we did try to sign Fuentes, but with him out of the market we simply just don't over pay for some else. We allocate resources when we feel the player is worth the investment. Not to get to detailed on this topic but I feel it is a nice place to address how we make decisions. First we look at the player performance, then scouting reports, then enter the risk factors, and then finally place a dollar value and length we feel comfortable with. I know it is not always popular, but there is a logic to our process.

---------

Eladio Castillo - from the Dominican republi, DR.: Mr. Mozeliak I sure do believe you're doing the best you can to orchestrated a competitive team for this upcoming season; however, I feel in the bottom of my heart the Cards with the team we have today, can't compite next season.

We need badly need a from liner pitcher such as Toronto's Roy Holladay. Alternatevely, Andy Pettite or the St. Louis native who's pitching for Chicago Whitesox LP Mark Bhuler. I think one of these guys can make the diffrence if you can sign of trade for one of them.

Are you interested to give the Cards nation a championship next season?

John Mozeliak: I understand your concern, but remeber we have strong everyday line-up and our younger pitchers now have experience. This will be a good year, hang in there.

----------

I Hate Bill Dewitt!!: Mo, Please describe what it's like living in your little land of make believe where you honestly believe that Cardinal fans should be excited about this team. If you wouldn't mind, go into details, about how in MO's world people are celebrating are three horrible new lefty relievers, and the signing of our awesome new .213 hitting shortstop.

John Mozeliak: First I rather live in my world then yours...it is sunny out today??? No you're right it is 30 something degrees, my girl friend dumped me, and my car won't start. First, it is not we stink (unless you ask yourself these questions in the mirror) and we make decisions based on scouts, stats, and other information. If we thought Greene was going to hit .213 we would not, I repeat, not make the deal. Go back to your world and I hope by mid summer you're ready to come out for air.

LMAO

KcKing
01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I Hate Bill Dewitt!!: Hey Johnny-
After this are you going to go into the yahoo teen chat room, and talk about designer clothes, and playing spin the bottle. GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE LOSER!!!! Other G.M's are working on deals, don't you get it!!

John Mozeliak: Clever, and with that I will sign off big guy.

^^ lmao @ the inna'net bully...

chiefsfan4life1978
01-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Who's Mark Bhuler is that Ferris' brother?

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2009, 07:56 AM
That was pretty good

milkman
01-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Holy shit, I don't follow baseball closely, but were I a Card fan, signing Khaleel(sp) would be reason to be excited.

The kid had a bad season last year, but he's a hell of a player who'll flourish in the Card's lineup.

Moziak's answer to that question was classic.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Holy shit, I don't follow baseball closely, but were I a Card fan, signing Khaleel(sp) would be reason to be excited.

The kid had a bad season last year, but he's a hell of a player who'll flourish in the Card's lineup.

Moziak's answer to that question was classic.

You are right. He was a very nice pickup for them. He won't be as horrible as he was last year, that is for sure. A change of scenery should do him well.