PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Arizona Republic: Haley to Chiefs Picks Up Steam

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-25-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/01/24/20090124spt-cardsnbhaley.html

These rumors are very credible. I know some of you either forgot or don't know how dialed into the Chiefs I used to be (The Bad Guy is the one who fired Gunther). Now I am pretty insync with the Cardinals due to my involvement with their Youth Football program through Parks and Recreation programs.

Clark and Scott want Todd. They are respecting the Cardinals miraculous run to the Super Bowl and didn't want this to be a distraction but it kind of has become one.

Mecca
01-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Honestly at this point I don't think anyone has the slightest clue who's going to be hired.

evolve27
01-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Honestly at this point I don't think anyone has the slightest clue who's going to be hired.

But Mecca, you know everything.:D

Mecca
01-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Nah I don't...I just only know 90% of things :)

bowener
01-25-2009, 01:55 AM

Come on... it's 91%... I crunched the numbers from the board.

Goldmember
01-25-2009, 02:02 AM
OK, let's say Haley is the guy. Does he have the rolodex to build a good team of assistants, especially now that 10 other head coaches have been hired and the good ones are, or have already been snatched up? The NFL is all about connections...how many good connections does this guy have? This needs to be considered.

Smed1065
01-25-2009, 02:07 AM

U wish!

U know 10 max!
U R wong same as hErm.......

U hope and wish. Stafford is greatest, I sad so!

ROFLMAO

88TG88
01-25-2009, 02:10 AM

ROFL

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 02:11 AM
OK, let's say Haley is the guy. Does he have the rolodex to build a good team of assistants, especially now that 10 other head coaches have been hired and the good ones are, or have already been snatched up? The NFL is all about connections...how many good connections does this guy have? This needs to be considered.We could always go against the grain and hire outside of the inbred nepotistic NFL coaching fraternity. I mean, sometimes it seems like it's the same 100 guys shifting from team to team every three years.

Color Red
01-25-2009, 02:58 AM
OK, let's say Haley is the guy. Does he have the rolodex to build a good team of assistants, especially now that 10 other head coaches have been hired and the good ones are, or have already been snatched up? The NFL is all about connections...how many good connections does this guy have? This needs to be considered.

This needs to be considered, but things are what they are. At any given time the leadership is going to try to put together a team of coaches from the resources it has. But also, at the end of the day, these positions of leadership expect that subordinate roles beneath them are going to work to carry out the leadership wishes and execute a team game plan as they envision it.

Clark Hunt never sweated feeling like he could get who he wanted for his subordinate GM position.

Scott Pioli never sweated feeling like he could get who he wanted for his subordinate HC position.

A new HC isn't going to sweat feeling like he can get who he wants for his subordinate assistant coaches positions.

A coaching gig in the NFL is a big deal to plenty of candidates. I'm sure Hunt and Pioli are confident that if they get the man they want as HC then filling out the staff of underling assistants is not going to be a worry.

C-Mac
01-25-2009, 06:19 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/01/24/20090124spt-cardsnbhaley.html

These rumors are very credible. I know some of you either forgot or don't know how dialed into the Chiefs I used to be (The Bad Guy is the one who fired Gunther). Now I am pretty insync with the Cardinals due to my involvement with their Youth Football program through Parks and Recreation programs.

Clark and Scott want Todd. They are respecting the Cardinals miraculous run to the Super Bowl and didn't want this to be a distraction but it kind of has become one.

Thanks Marty.
Do you have any personal knowledge of him, thoughts on him as a head coach?

milkman
01-25-2009, 06:50 AM
U wish!

U know 10 max!
U R wong same as hErm.......

U hope and wish. Stafford is greatest, I sad so!

ROFLMAO

:eek:

Jesus, go to school and learn some English.

Hell, jibberish would be an imporovement.

rad
01-25-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5367560&postcount=1352

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 08:13 AM
"I've got five kids, so the last thing I'm thinking about is moving anywhere. I'm just enjoying what's going on right here and the fact we've been able to do something nobody else has been able to do." Todd Haley

milkman
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Todd Haley

"I am not going to Alabama"

Nick Saban.

DTLB58
01-25-2009, 08:25 AM
He made the perfect reply in that article.

Focus on your team and the task at hand, the SB. Stay loyal to where you are until you sign on the dotted line.

Also, There is an article in SI this week about the NFC championship game and it speaks of Haley and how he and Wisenhut got the Cards back on track before the post season by getting tougher on the players, ect. Nice read. He won some points with me after reading that and this.

DTLB58
01-25-2009, 08:26 AM
"I am not going to Alabama"

Nick Saban.

ROFL

cardken
01-25-2009, 08:33 AM

He's from that Belicheck/Parcells tree. I'm sure he has made a few contacts through the years.Plenty of ex heads out there unemployed who may work to get back in. Dennis Green/ Jon Gruden/ Bellick/ ect.

Danman
01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I think we already have our offensive coordinator for next year-Chan Gailey. Since we denied the Bucs permission to interview him I think Clark likes him, and he made an impression on Pioli. Gailey's not at all charismatic, if he were he'd have been the top HC candidate for a lot of teams this year, but there's no doubt the guy can coach.

He may have done too well. Thigpen now thinks he's our QBOTF. I think he can work well with Haley. For those who don't want Haley because the cards couldn't run, he was just letting them do what they do best. Haley also worked for Parcells twice and with the Bears. He knows about the running game.

Don't be shocked if the Chin is the HC. He and Gailey have already had a great offense together

ChiefMojo
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I think Gailey will be the OC and Crennel the DC. It is the assistants outside of those two we need to find. Hopefully most of the offensive staff stays together. Most notably Price!

The Bad Guy
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I may be the minority, but Gailey can walk too.

The guy called some AWFUL 3rd and 4th quarters last year. It took him until the midway point to figure out his offense was shit.

I want a new coaching staff all around.

Coach
01-25-2009, 09:45 AM

The guy called some AWFUL 3rd and 4th quarters last year. It took him until the midway point to figure out his offense was shit.

I can understand that side of the argument, but at the same time, how much blame is it really on Gailey? How much of the blame should be directed to Herm? Was Gailey "Hermcuffed"?

I mean, there was numberous of games where the first half, the Chiefs were in attack mode, and then after halftime, they quit attacking people. This sounds more of a Herm decision in the 2nd half, as everybody knows that Herm likes being ultra conseritive.

DeezNutz
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM

My short answer is that I agree. Let's clean the slate.

That said, it seems strange to me that Gailey could make chicken salad in the first half but wasn't smart enough to put players in positions to succeed in the second.

To me, our LOFT (lack of ****ing talent) was exposed by far more talented teams in the second half of games. I'm not sure if Thiggy and the pistol could have overcome this. So I don't put a huge amount of blame on play calling. Maybe I'm wrong.

Play calling inside the 10, however, in both halves is a different story.

Goldmember
01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

I agree, the offense was horrible in the 2nd half of most games, and overall, didn't score many points per game. The defense and special teams either scored, or had a big hand in, some of those points.

Katie
01-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I can understand that side of the argument, but at the same time, how much blame is it really on Gailey? How much of the blame should be directed to Herm? Was Gailey "Hermcuffed"?

I mean, there was numberous of games where the first half, the Chiefs were in attack mode, and then after halftime, they quit attacking people. This sounds more of a Herm decision in the 2nd half, as everybody knows that Herm likes being ultra conseritive.

For what it's worth, I talked to Ted McKnight about this and he told me that Gailey definitely was the guy making the offensive calls. Herm apparently gave him full control...

Danman
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Great LINE!

I'm not a Gailey homer and won't lose any sleep if he's let go. I do think he's had success everywhere he's been. He's the ultimate "worker bee" of the NFL. He may do really well with a different QB coach than Dick Curl. I think right now Gailey is the back up plan if we can't get Haley and Cowher refuses us too, like it or not.

DaWolf
01-25-2009, 10:15 AM

I don't disagree. I thing the expectations were so low for this offense and Thigpen and after having Solari call the plays for two years (another dumb Herm hire) that people are looking at Gailey in a different light than he should be.

The 3rd and 4th quarter adjustments teams made on us and our ineffectiveness in adjusting ourselves also IMO is an indicator that next year teams will have a better understanding from the get-go how to handle our spread and Thigpen and we could be looking at another Derek Anderson situation, which is why we need to look for a traditional drop back QB...

eazyb81
01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I guess we'll have to keep going through this discussion for the next week or so, but it's crystal clear, at least to me, that Pioli is waiting on Todd Haley to be our next HC.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I like Todd a lot. If the Chiefs are going to plant a seed from any NFL coaching tree, it should be the Bill Parcells variety.

Haley doesn't put up with BS from anyone. He's gone toe-to-toe with players and they often respect that. Kurt Warner isn't as easy to get along with as most folks believe and Haley has managed that. He's very honest, very straight forward and incredibly innovative. Game management might be the thing that bites him in the ass as he transitions to the HC role but he'll have that figured out with a preseason or two.

I remember when Jon Gruden was getting a lot of ink about being the next great HC in the NFL. I think Haley is every bit as good if not better than Gruden was he left Philly.

I think the situation in KC is perfect for Haley and is exactly the type of coaching that meets the vision of Clark Hunt and Scottie Pee.

MM

Thanks Marty.
Do you have any personal knowledge of him, thoughts on him as a head coach?

KCrockaholic
01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I like Todd a lot. If the Chiefs are going to plant a seed from any NFL coaching tree, it should be the Bill Parcells variety.

Haley doesn't put up with BS from anyone. He's gone toe-to-toe with players and they often respect that. Kurt Warner isn't as easy to get along with as most folks believe and Haley has managed that. He's very honest, very straight forward and incredibly innovative. Game management might be the thing that bites him in the ass as he transitions to the HC role but he'll have that figured out with a preseason or two.

I remember when Jon Gruden was getting a lot of ink about being the next great HC in the NFL. I think Haley is every bit as good if not better than Gruden was he left Philly.

I think the situation in KC is perfect for Haley and is exactly the type of coaching that meets the vision of Clark Hunt and Scottie Pee.

MM

i agree with your thought as well. i just hope Haley isnt to much like Jon Gruden. as much as i like Jon as a person, i dont want Haley to be like him.

SAUTO
01-25-2009, 11:42 AM
haley has 5 kids??? 5 ? wow how does he have time to coach?

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
IMO the reason so many want Todd Haley is if he becomes successful at KC we found a diamond in the rough so to speak. If we rehash a Shanny, Cowher or Parcells then its "well they did it before" IMO:eek:

milkman
01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
IMO the reason so many want Todd Haley is if he becomes successful at KC we found a diamond in the rough so to speak. If we rehash a Shanny, Cowher or Parcells then its "well they did it before" IMO:eek:

Don't be a dumbass.

DeezNutz
01-25-2009, 12:06 PM
haley has 5 kids??? 5 ? wow how does he have time to coach?

It's what he does when he's not fucking.

SAUTO
01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
It's what he does when he's not fucking.

LMAO so if we hire him we have to work around his "fucking" schedule?

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

The Chiefs haven't asked the Cardinals for permission to talk to Haley and can't actually do it until after the Super Bowl anyway... and everything Haley says points to him staying where he is... Yes these rumors are very credible. I'm convinced.

DeezNutz
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
LMAO so if we hire him we have to work around his "****ing" schedule?

Yes. Apparently that's very important to him.

And I respect this in a coach.

oaklandhater
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
The Chiefs haven't asked the Cardinals for permission to talk to Haley and can't actually do it until after the Super Bowl anyway... and everything Haley says points to him staying where he is... Yes these rumors are very credible. I'm convinced.

You can bring some one in and talk to them one week before the SB.

Danman
01-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I guess we'll have to keep going through this discussion for the next week or so, but it's crystal clear, at least to me, that Pioli is waiting on Todd Haley to be our next HC.

Bring it on. I can wait a week. Very excited about this.

SAUTO
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes. Apparently that's very important to him.

And I respect this in a coach.

me tooLMAO

DeezNutz
It's hard for me to even fathom what this organization will be like with completely new blood in the system...

Dr. Johnny Fever
You can bring some one in and talk to them one week before the SB.

But the story said they haven't even asked and IF they were to talk to him it wouldn't be until after the Super-Bowl. You're right... this is as good as done.

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't be a dumbass.

Would you like to expound on that trite remark. Or can you?:shake:

Chiefshrink
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Yes he does! Just ask him he'll tell ya!:rolleyes:

StcChief
01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
LMAO so if we hire him we have to work around his "fucking" schedule?office pull out hide-a-bed coach?

milkman
01-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Would you like to expound on that trite remark. Or can you?:shake:

I don't care who comes in and coaches the Chiefs, whether it's Shanahan, Cowher, or Dick Curl, no one will give a rat's ass about what they've accomplished, or failed to accomplish, before.

They will be happier than pigs in shit that we finally have a coach, and a team, that can advance to and win a SB.

Chiefshrink
01-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Knowing Pioli's ways, I damn guarantee you he has half of Haley's or whoever's staff picked already. That's also another advantage of being a great personnel guy, you know what coaches you want and you start working them in advance which I'm sure is what he also has been doing behind the scenes.:thumb:

Danman
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
LMAO so if we hire him we have to work around his "****ing" schedule?

Yes Literally. Noteworthy. Wonder if his wife is hot . . .

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't care who comes in and coaches the Chiefs, whether it's Shanahan, Cowher, or Dick Curl, no one will give a rat's ass about what they've accomplished, or failed to accomplish, before.

They will be happier than pigs in shit that we finally have a coach, and a team, that can advance to and win a SB.

I agree. My only point is that Shanahan,Cowher and Parcells have the experience of coming in and rebuilding a team. Not to say Haley couldn't do it but damn give me a man thats been there and learned from "His" mistakes over someone who has learned from watching others.

DaWolf
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I have one question though. If the Cardinals get crushed by the Steelers to the tune of 49-7 or something (like the game against the Pats) and have 5 turnovers, how excited will everyone still be about Haley? I'm still not 100% convinced he's our No 1 target...

milkman
01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree. My only point is that Shanahan,Cowher and Parcells have the experience of coming in and rebuilding a team. Not to say Haley couldn't do it but damn give me a man thats been there and learned from "His" mistakes over someone who has learned from watching others.

We already have that guy in Scott Pioli at GM.

milkman
01-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I have one question though. If the Cardinals get crushed by the Steelers to the tune of 49-7 or something (like the game against the Pats) and have 5 turnovers, how excited will everyone still be about Haley? I'm still not 100% convinced he's our No 1 target...

Personally, I think the Cards are overmatched, so that kind of outcome would be no surprise to me.

theorangelion

So Todd Haley would be his puppet?

SAUTO

agreed

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Personally, I think the Cards are overmatched, so that kind of outcome would be no surprise to me.

I thought the Cards were overmatched in all of their playoff games. They had lost 3 of their last 5 going into the playoffs. What a great time to get hot. The way they dismantled Carolina.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM

He'd be the coach.

milkman
01-25-2009, 12:44 PM

It's going to be a team effort.

Since we already have the guy that's been there, done that, I don't see the need to get another one just for that reason.

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
It's going to be a team effort.

Since we already have the guy that's been there, done that, I don't see the need to get another one just for that reason.

I guess I can relate to that. Maybe I'm coming around to this whole Todd Haley as HC idea.:)

Big Chief Homer
01-25-2009, 12:50 PM

This !

How many first and goal and 3rd or 4th and inches did he screw up.His play calling inside the red zone is horrible.

And this is the guy who for most of the season ran our running back up the backsides of all the lineman.

Thanks to Gailey LJ and Charles our entire O-line wont need a prostate exam until most of them are in their 80's.

Gravedigger
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
In the end who's left? If Shanahan has said he's not going to come to the Chiefs, if Cowher said he's not going to, then it's just Haley and Gruden or else theres some no name we didn't think of in the first place. I'd put my money on Gruden or Haley.

JuicesFlowing
01-25-2009, 12:57 PM

I agree, but I also think Herm had a lot to do with that early in the season. But still, there were absolutely no adjustments each game, and that's bad coaching.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll shoot myself if we keep Chan. He wasn't that good this year, as mentioned, his offenses in the second half sucked. Thigpen's QB rating decreased dramatically as the quarters went on.

OnTheWarpath15
01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm going to laugh when he hires someone NO ONE has mentioned, like Bruce Arians...

the Talking Can
01-25-2009, 02:41 PM

MM

thanks for the input

i hope we go this route...roll the dice...