PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Edith Morgan

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about Edith Morgan? She is Derrick Thomas' mother. Is she a good person? She filed a lawsuit against GM over DT's death. There wasn't anything shady about it, I hope? She wasn't just trying to profit from DT's death? Thanks.

Chiefaholic
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah.... Just what the lady needs. A cock sucker willing to throw mud in the face of a wonderful woman in order to post a story in the paper. Nothing good could possibly come from this.

CoMoChief
01-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Didnt know you could sue a veh company for not wearing your seatbelt.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah.... Just what the lady needs. A cock sucker willing to throw mud in the face of a wonderful woman in order to post a story in the paper. Nothing good could possibly come from this. Jesus, hit the brakes. This has nothing to do with a story. I simply want to know if the woman is good or bad. I assumed she was good. But the lawsuit set off the alarm. People don't always file lawsuits for the right reasons.

PastorMikH
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Interesting, guy gets in SUV and drives down icy roads without a seatbelt on. Gets in a wreck and is paralyzed. I wonder how this would be the car manufacturer's fault.

I loved DT, how I wished he were still around. But to sue the manufactuer of the SUV??? If this is legit, it sounds like someone is out for $$$.

mikey23545
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
He wears a seat belt, he walks away from the wreck.

She should sue herself for not raising him to buckle up.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
If this is legit, it sounds like someone is out for $$$.

This is old news. It happened shortly after his death. Ethel Morgan and a bunch of DT's women got together and filed a joint lawsuit. There are articles out there.

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Jesus, hit the brakes. This has nothing to do with a story. I simply want to know if the woman is good or bad. I assumed she was good. But the lawsuit set off the alarm. People don't always file lawsuits for the right reasons.

Wasn't this an old story? Has it not gone to trial or been refused a trial?

It's been a long time since DT passed.

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
He wears a seat belt, he walks away from the wreck.

She should sue herself for not raising him to buckle up.

Well, I don't know about "walks away" but more than likely, he doesn't suffer a spinal cord injury.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Here we are.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/3660399/detail.html

GM Wins In Derrick Thomas Wrongful Death Trial

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jurors decided Tuesday that General Motors was not at fault in the death of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas.The jury ruled 10 to 2 that Thomas' family was not entitled to any money from the automaker.

Thomas died from injuries he sustained in a wreck in January 2000.<table class="storyAd" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="storyAdObj"> <!-- Begin Ad tag: square--><script type="text/javascript"> IBSYS.ad.AdManager.registerPosition({ "iframe": false, "addlSz": "", "element": "ad_N69.74B4", "interstitials": false, "beginDate": "", "endDate": "", "getSect": "", "name": "square", "qString": "", "width": "300", "height": "250", "section": "", "useId": "3660399", "interactive": false, "useSameCategory": true, "topic": "", "swSectionRoot": "", "useZone": "", "containerType": "page", "containerID": "89894", "type": "DOM" }); </script><script src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ibs.kc1.news/local;kw=news+square+3660399;comp=false;ad=true;pgtype=detail;tile=4;sz=300x250;ord=1232947275536?"></script><noscript>http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ibs.kc1.news/national;kw=news+square+3660399;ad=true;pgtype=detail;ptile=8;sz=300x250;ord=123456789? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ibs.kc1.news/national;kw=news+square+3660399;ad=true;pgtype=detail;ptile=8;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?)</noscript><!-- End Ad tag: square--> </td></tr></tbody></table>His mother, Edith Morgan, his seven children and their five mothers filed the lawsuit against the automaker, claiming that a defective design on Thomas' Chevrolet Suburban led to his death.

During closing arguments Monday, GM's attorneys said Thomas broke his back after being ejected from his Suburban. They said Thomas was speeding in icy conditions and not wearing his seat belt, and his injuries were not the result of the roof caving in, as the plaintiffs' attorneys have argued.

"He was driving faster than anyone else on the road, and he was cutting in and out of traffic. There is no question about that," GM attorney John Hickey said Monday.

Hickey urged jurors not to award the family any money.

He said the ruling vindicated his client and the Chevrolet Suburban, and it sends a message to others that they should wear seat belts and drive safely.

"All we wanted to do is defend our car," Hickey said. "I feel bad for the Thomases. Mr. Thomas, unfortunately, was driving too fast."

The attorney for the plaintiffs, Michael Piuze, had asked the Jackson County jury to order GM to pay $75 million in the wrongful death lawsuit. In closing arguments, Piuze reminded the jury that sports agent Lee Steinberg said Thomas would have made $43 million before retiring from the NFL.

Jurors received the case Monday evening and returned the verdict at 12:30 p.m. the next day.

KMBC's Emily Aylward said that Thomas' mother (pictured, right) was disappointed with the verdict.

Morgan, who started the "Buckle Up for Derrick" campaign soon after her son's death to urge Kansas City motorists to wear seat belts, said her family would survive.

"We're going to be strong and fight the good fight of faith," she said. "It has been very, very tough to relive these incidents all over again. Even if they would have awarded something, it couldn't have taken the place of my son."

Piuze said the jury's decision was not surprising.

"The problem with this case is that in the last four years since he got hurt, there has been an awful lot of publicity that Derrick Thomas was at fault, that Derrick Thomas was not wearing a seat belt," Piuze said.

Todd Beverlin, of Lee's Summit, who was one of two jurors who voted to award damages, said he didn't buy the automaker's argument that Thomas was flung from the vehicle before the roof caved in.

In a civil trial, at least nine of the 12 jurors must agree on a verdict. The vote Tuesday against awarding damages was 10-2.

"I felt actually that he couldn't have been ejected from the vehicle where (GM) said he was ejected," said Beverlin, a Kansas City Chiefs season ticket-holder. "I thought he was ejected on the second roll."

Beverlin said he was shocked four years ago when he heard about the crash that injured Thomas, but being a Chiefs fan did not influence his belief that Thomas' family should receive compensation from General Motors.

Barb Schnepf, of rural Lee's Summit, who also sided with the plaintiffs, said GM should have been held liable.

"I believe that Derrick Thomas was injured inside the vehicle," Schnepf said. "I believe GM knew its roofs were not crash worthy, from the late '60s to early '70s, and did nothing to correct the problem."

The jurors who voted against awarding damages avoided reporters as they left the courthouse.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Hmmm, is it Ethel or Edith?

PastorMikH
01-25-2009, 11:31 PM
This is old news. It happened shortly after his death. Ethel Morgan and a bunch of DT's women got together and filed a joint lawsuit. There are articles out there.

Then why are you bringing it up now?

Hammock Parties
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Then why are you bringing it up now?

I believe this post explains it:

Does anyone know anything about Edith Morgan? She is Derrick Thomas' mother. Is she a good person? She filed a lawsuit against GM over DT's death. There wasn't anything shady about it, I hope? She wasn't just trying to profit from DT's death? Thanks.

BigRock
01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know anything about Edith Morgan?

I know she was DT's mom.

She is Derrick Thomas' mother.

Oh. Uhhh. I know she filed a lawsuit against GM.

She filed a lawsuit against GM over DT's death.

YOU'RE KILLING ME HERE

Rain Man
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, I don't know about "walks away" but more than likely, he doesn't suffer a spinal cord injury.

Didn't the other people in the wreck walk away?

Too bad he chose not to wear his seat belt. It would've been a simple lifesaver.

CoMoChief
01-26-2009, 12:08 AM
DT was a great player no doubt, but come on, do I need to say anything more after I read something like this?

"His mother, Edith Morgan, his seven children and their five mothers"

Good lord.:shake:

What a PoS for a father figure.

Brock
01-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Didn't the other people in the wreck walk away?

Too bad he chose not to wear his seat belt. It would've been a simple lifesaver.

The two who were not wearing seat belts died. The one that was walked away from the accident.

BigRedChief
01-26-2009, 08:20 AM
The other person in the same DT driven SUV "walks away" with only some scratches. So its a good assumption he wouldn't have even been hurt.

BigRedChief
01-26-2009, 08:28 AM
DT was a great player no doubt, but come on, do I need to say anything more after I read something like this?

"His mother, Edith Morgan, his seven children and their five mothers"

Good lord.:shake:

What a PoS for a father figure.
Yeah, he was there with the money and at the kids birthdays but he wasn't involved in their day to day lives. But you can say the same thing for a lot of people in the business world.

He wasn't a POS human either. He did a lot of charity work and stayed signing autographs for hours at a time. I'll never forget spending a 1/2 an hour talking with just me, DT, Neal Smith and DT's buddy back in 1995 during the 13-3 season.

So who are we to judge his parenting?

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 08:36 AM
i am not sure i have ever heard of a business man having kids from 5 mothers

BigRedChief
01-26-2009, 08:43 AM
i am not sure i have ever heard of a business man having kids from 5 mothers
So you are ready to cast the first stone?

I was talking about Fathers not being around on a daily basis. Not knowing what is going on in the daily lives of their children.

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
So you are ready to cast the first stone?

I was talking about Fathers not being around on a daily basis. Not knowing what is going on in the daily lives of their children.

Hell to the no, I couldn't raise sea monkey's correctly.