PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Lets talk BBQ

rambleonthruthefog
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
What i've been thinkin bout is.... other than location. what makes it Texas BBQ, or KC BBQ, or Memphis BBQ, or Carolina BBQ, etc.

I've spent most my life in TX, eatin' all my BBQ in TX, with the exception of two places. I've had plenty of good, and some great. I've always judged the BBQ here by and large by the chopped beef sandwich. if your sauce and chopped beef aren't delicious together, most likely i don't want any ribs or chicken. The other two BBQ joints i ate at were...

Arthur Bryants in KC. was there for my pilgrimage to Arrowhead
and a place called Corky's in Memphis. Was there for a Widespread Panic show.

I had some chopped beef at both joints and was not overly impressed, but the sausage sandwich i had at Arthurs was out of d*mn sight, it was hot, it was sliced nice and thin, and stacked high. it was great. prob the best sausage sandwich i've ever had. At corky's the ribs i had were great, i mean really really good. i didn't finish my chopped beef sandwich, but i did ask for some ribs to go. These two experiences blew my theory away.

i still think that the chopped beef makes or breaks you in TX, and most TX joints usually have some version of habanero sauce, or jalepeno sausage, and they all got pickles and onions, and most have banana pudding(preferably with nilla wafers), amd beans.

what makes it KC, Memphis, or Carolina BBQ?

KC-TBB
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Rosedale BBQ for me...

foxman
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I grew up in KC and eating Beef BBQ. I moved to Carolina in 84 and a couple of things jumped right out. A: the BBQ is primarily pork and a lot of places don't serve anything else. The sauce is more of a dip and is vinegar based although the eastern part of NC uses a different sauce/dip than what is commonly referred too as "Lexington style" NC BBQ.

Another thing is that in NC most places offer BBQ slaw and will put it on your sandwich if you don't ask them not too. BBQ slaw is a red slaw that has ketchup in it. The sauce or dip isnt particularly hot and is thin and runny.

So, there ya have it.

I 100% prefer KC BBQ over NC although it is different enough that I would miss NC BBQ if I moved away.

foxman
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Ohh and I have yet to have BBQ beans in NC nearly as good as what is commonly found in KC. IE, I love Smokhouse's beans in the Northland, but there is not a place in NC that I have found that offers much more than a can of pork-N-beans with some sauce in it.

Fish
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
The name doesn't matter. Everyone has their preference. It all makes a turd. Be thankful for the variety....

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
KC has the highest percentage of great places. Texas ranks second.

ChiefsCountry
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Kansas City BBQ is the best overall IMO. Sauce is what sets KC apart IMO. Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Jack Stack's, Smokehouse all amazing. Not fan of KC Masterpiece though. Memphis has the best ribs by far. The dry rub is really good, though I would love to smother those Memphis ribs with some Gates or Arthur Bryant sauce. North Carolina is different bc its a vingear/mustard base. Its good but not close to KC IMO. Texas is the BBQ sandwichs, better than North Carolina though. So my rankings:
1. Kansas City
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. North Carolina

epitome1170
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I actually just watched a show on the evolution of BBQ on Discovery channel or something like that... I think it was called BBQ Paradise (but that might be another show.) Anyway, there is a lot more to the style of BBQ than just where it is done.

I won't bother spewing facts and history they gave because I am sure I would screw it up, but if you really love BBQ and the history of it, you should check it out.

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I had a bbq this weekend with brats and chicken. good stuff

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I actually just watched a show on the evolution of BBQ on Discovery channel or something like that... I think it was called BBQ Paradise (but that might be another show.) Anyway, there is a lot more to the style of BBQ than just where it is done.

I won't bother spewing facts and history they gave because I am sure I would screw it up, but if you really love BBQ and the history of it, you should check it out.
BBQ paradise was on the Travel Channel. It was actually okay compared to similar programs about bbq that have aired in recent history. It still wasn't good or anything.

Jesus, I can't wait until I get a book deal for my barbecue memoir/travelogue. I'm sick of shitty media about bbq.

Goapics1
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I had a bbq this weekend with brats and chicken. good stuff

No McRib?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
What i've been thinkin bout is.... other than location. what makes it Texas BBQ, or KC BBQ, or Memphis BBQ, or Carolina BBQ, etc.

I've spent most my life in TX, eatin' all my BBQ in TX, with the exception of two places. I've had plenty of good, and some great. I've always judged the BBQ here by and large by the chopped beef sandwich. if your sauce and chopped beef aren't delicious together, most likely i don't want any ribs or chicken. The other two BBQ joints i ate at were...

Arthur Bryants in KC. was there for my pilgrimage to Arrowhead
and a place called Corky's in Memphis. Was there for a Widespread Panic show.

I had some chopped beef at both joints and was not overly impressed, but the sausage sandwich i had at Arthurs was out of d*mn sight, it was hot, it was sliced nice and thin, and stacked high. it was great. prob the best sausage sandwich i've ever had. At corky's the ribs i had were great, i mean really really good. i didn't finish my chopped beef sandwich, but i did ask for some ribs to go. These two experiences blew my theory away.

i still think that the chopped beef makes or breaks you in TX, and most TX joints usually have some version of habanero sauce, or jalepeno sausage, and they all got pickles and onions, and most have banana pudding(preferably with nilla wafers), amd beans.

what makes it KC, Memphis, or Carolina BBQ?

It's the sauce.

KC is a heavy tomato sauce, often accented with molasses. Sweet. If you can smoke it, it's barbecue, including beef, pork, ribs, chicken, sausage.

Memphis is a thin tomato sauce. Pork and ribs. Ribs usually are dry.

Carolina is either vinegar/pepper or mustard. In the Carolinas, barbecue is also pork or whole hog. There is such a thing as barbecued beef and ribs, but when Carolinians talk barbecue, they're talking pulled pork or whole hog. Carolinians can't do brisket. They just can't. They suck at it.

Texas is generally dry rubs, no sauce. Brisket.

tooge
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Pretty much like this with slight variations in each place, but this is a general diescription.

Texas is almost exclusively beef. Brisket is king in Tejas. Sometimes spicy, sometimes chili like.

KC is all about sauce traditionally. Kc is a pretty good blend of all the others. Beef and Pork. Usually a tomato based sauce, and lots of it.

North Carolina is all about pulled pork. They do ribs too, but not much beef. They are also into heavy sauce, but it is vinegar or mustard based usually and not as thick as KC.

Memphis Q is all about pork. Ribs are king there, but pulled pork is good too. The key to Memphis style Q is the lack of sauce. They are most noted for dry rubs.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. If you ask me, done well, they are all killer.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
On an unrelated note, I posted this on another thread:

On Saturday, my wife and I went down to Summerville, SC to become South Carolina Barbeque Association judges. After we judge four supervised judging events, we'll be "certified" judges.

I used to judge in KC somewhat frequently, so it's nothing new to me. Mrs. FMB! is new to the circuit.

Decent Q at the event, but nothing special. Out of curiosity, I really focused and judged the catered barbecue as I would normally... rated it at 13.8 on a 17-point scale, which is just above average.

Supposedly, the guy that catered is the two-time Grand champ of the Carolina Cup (a competition of first-place winners of the 50 or so competitions, so a best of the best type of thing).

This guy that gave us decent, but not great, barbecue that I rated at just above average is the best South Carolina has to offer.

I may start cooking here. Need to find a team.

Fire Me Boy!
Pretty much like this with slight variations in each place, but this is a general diescription.

Texas is almost exclusively beef. Brisket is king in Tejas. Sometimes spicy, sometimes chili like.

KC is all about sauce traditionally. Kc is a pretty good blend of all the others. Beef and Pork. Usually a tomato based sauce, and lots of it.

North Carolina is all about pulled pork. They do ribs too, but not much beef. They are also into heavy sauce, but it is vinegar or mustard based usually and not as thick as KC.

Memphis Q is all about pork. Ribs are king there, but pulled pork is good too. The key to Memphis style Q is the lack of sauce. They are most noted for dry rubs.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. If you ask me, done well, they are all killer.

Beat you buy |that| much.

Repost.

:D

rambleonthruthefog
can you even get good BBQ outside of these few select places?

tooge
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Sure, anyone that knows how to cook good Q can go anywhere and do it. So, I am sure there is lots of good Q all over the place.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Here and there, I'm sure. But the four meccas have a true culture built up around bbq.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I ate at Oklahoma Joes saturday and man those fries OWN me and the bbq was damn good too.

Loved it! Better than jackstack imo, but ive had JS alot

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 02:53 PM

I am compelled to disagree. While it is probably true that KC has the biggest variation amongst sauces, I would argue that geography is more indicative of KC's bbq culture than sauce. Kansas City is the barbecue capital of the world because of a confluence of three factors: 1.) Westward expansion (i.e., Carolinian and Tennessean bbq men moving further west), 2.) animal stockyards (KC was second only to Chicago), and 3.) The Ozarks (the sheer abundance of readily available wood). The wood supply met the animal supply met the men trained to use both to make bbq.

It was destiny, baby.

Demonpenz
I always pimp out bb's lawnside bbq here. For the upmost bbq snob it probably isn't the greatest, but the people from st joseph and a guy from springfield said it was bad ass.

Fire Me Boy!
I ate at Oklahoma Joes saturday and man those fries OWN me and the bbq was damn good too.

I've always thought Jack Stack was pretty mediocre. I've likened them to BBQ for rich folks who don't wanna get dirty.

I'm a huge fan of burnt ends, and Jack Stack's burnt ends fat out suck.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I've always thought Jack Stack was pretty mediocre. I've likened them to BBQ for rich folks who don't wanna get dirty.

I'm a huge fan of burnt ends, and Jack Stack's burnt ends fat out suck.
Most everything there is merely above average for the area, apart from their stupendous beans.

KCChiefsMan
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
NC - pork
Memphis -slaw
KC - goodness
TX - big

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Most everything there is merely above average for the area, apart from their stupendous beans.

above average is still frickin good. Nothing will beat bbq by people with the time to manage their meat for long periods of time (barber shop excluded)

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I am compelled to disagree. While it is probably true that KC has the biggest variation amongst sauces, I would argue that geography is more indicative of KC's bbq culture than sauce. Kansas City is the barbecue capital of the world because of a confluence of three factors: 1.) Westward expansion (i.e., Carolinian and Tennessean bbq men moving further west), 2.) animal stockyards (KC was second only to Chicago), and 3.) The Ozarks (the sheer abundance of readily available wood). The wood supply met the animal supply met the men trained to use both to make bbq.

It was destiny, baby.

Traditionally, the difference between the regions is only the sauce used on it. Meat, low heat, and smoke is barbecue.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM

Their beans ain't got nuthin' on mine.

I'm going to form a team down here in SC, and I'll be entering my beans in the "Anything Butt (pork)" competition.

I judged that comp. this past fall, and was HUGELY disappointed in the fare.

Stewie
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Can you eat an order of fries at OK Joe's by yourself? I always have to split them with someone.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Can you eat an order of fries at OK Joe's by yourself? I always have to split them with someone.

I ate about half of them and then ate them later. The gf and i got our own and she did the same and gave it to me. They do pile them on and man they were so good.

Next time we plan to share one.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Traditionally, the difference between the regions is only the sauce used on it. Meat, low heat, and smoke is barbecue.
I disagree with this too (not the insulting last sentence offered as if I didn't know what the shit I was talking about, but the first one).

You're going to find a large difference going back in the animals used in each region. You generally aren't going to find goat in Carolina or Memphis, but you see it all the time in Texas. I can only think of one or two places in KC that offer mutton, but over in TN you will see more. Etc.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I disagree with this too (not the insulting last sentence offered as if I didn't know what the shit I was talking about, but the first one).

You're going to find a large difference going back in the animals used in each region. You generally aren't going to find goat in Carolina or Memphis, but you see it all the time in Texas. I can only think of one or two places in KC that offer mutton, but over in TN you will see more. Etc.

I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what you were talking about when I said meat/low heat/smoke = barbecue. My apologies if you thought I was insulting you, that was certainly not my intent. I merely was attempting to make a point.

But I will continue to argue that while yes, there is a very large range of what can be prepared, the biggest difference is the sauce.

While you might find that Texas cooks goat and KC has mutton, when people discuss barbecue they are generally talking about brisket, pork butt, chicken and ribs. And if you cook ribs in South Carolina, KC, Memphis and Texas, the ribs will be much the same. The sauce, however, will be very, very different.

rambleonthruthefog
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
all n all, i found that pretty incitefull. thanks. god bless good BBQ, no matter where its from.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
all n all, i found that pretty incitefull. thanks. god bless good BBQ, no matter where its from.

Naw.... mustard and vinegar sauces are gross. ;)

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Rogers in Florence,SC. yum yum

and nobody makes better side dishes. sweet potato souffle and squash casserole to die for.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Rogers in Florence,SC. yum yum

and nobody makes better side dishes. sweet potato souffle and squash casserole to die for.

I will have to check it out.

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I will have to check it out.

I lived in Florence for a year. Miss the ocean so much im going out next weekend to see Myrtle Beach, Surfside, and Florence.
Rogers is a must!!!!!!!!!!

DTchiefs58
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
LC's best BBQ in the world. enough said

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
LC's best BBQ in the world. enough said

Three-word post:

Wrong. Enough said.

tooge
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Amen!

DTchiefs58
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Three-word post:

Wrong. Enough said.

Wrong 8 word post

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Wrong 8 word post

ROFL

You've been a member for over a year and THIS is one of your nine posts!

ROFL

Spott
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I've never understood the whole mustard sauce thing or putting cole slaw on a BBQ pork sandwich like they do in Carolina. I think the only thing that Carolina does better is to serve sweet tea with their BBQ unlike any restaurants in KC.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I've never understood the whole mustard sauce thing or putting cole slaw on a BBQ pork sandwich like they do in Carolina. I think the only thing that Carolina does better is to serve sweet tea with their BBQ unlike any restaurants in KC.

IF you like sweet tea.

:Lin:

DTchiefs58
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
ROFL

You've been a member for over a year and THIS is one of your nine posts!

ROFL

Wow u really pwned me. Douche

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Wow u really pwned me. Douche

Dude. I was laughing with you. I found it kinda ironic.

Calm down, Francis.

DTchiefs58
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Dude. I was laughing with you. I found it kinda ironic.

Calm down, Francis.

My account wasnt activated until recently

Man i wish I could have 12k post like you

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Kansas City BBQ is the best overall IMO. Sauce is what sets KC apart IMO. Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Jack Stack's, Smokehouse all amazing. Not fan of KC Masterpiece though. Memphis has the best ribs by far. The dry rub is really good, though I would love to smother those Memphis ribs with some Gates or Arthur Bryant sauce. North Carolina is different bc its a vingear/mustard base. Its good but not close to KC IMO. Texas is the BBQ sandwichs, better than North Carolina though. So my rankings:
1. Kansas City
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. North Carolina

Oklahoma Joe's "Night of the Living BBQ sauce" is my favorite hot sauce in KC. I agree with your 1.KC breakdown and after that I could go with Memphis and Texas being a push and NC bringing up the rear. Damn I miss all the good BBQ of KC, Arizona BBQ can't even be mentioned in the conversation. Although, the guy that owns Dillion's down here is a KC native sporting both a Chiefs and Cardinals helmet on the bar. Gotta give him some rep for that.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Oklahoma Joe's "Night of the Living BBQ sauce" is my favorite hot sauce in KC. I agree with your 1.KC breakdown and after that I could go with Memphis and Texas being a push and NC bringing up the rear. Damn I miss all the good BBQ of KC, Arizona BBQ can't even be mentioned in the conversation. Although, the guy that owns Dillion's down here is a KC native sporting both a Chiefs and Cardinals helmet on the bar. Gotta give him some rep for that.

I tried OK Joe's for the 1st time ever saturday night and man i was blown away by how dam good the food was. I had a sandwich and the fries, well they are the best damn fries i've had.

I suggest anyone to try OK joes, its in a gas station in KC, and that nightmare of the living bbq sauce was delicious.

Great Place

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I tried OK Joe's for the 1st time ever saturday night and man i was blown away by how dam good the food was. I had a sandwich and the fries, well they are the best damn fries i've had.

I suggest anyone to try OK joes, its in a gas station in KC, and that nightmare of the living bbq sauce was delicious.

Great Place
You only went to OK Joe's for the first time a few days ago? Well, I'm glad you see what you've been missing all of this time. In the summer, I go to Joe's on an average of once a week.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
You only went to OK Joe's for the first time a few days ago? Well, I'm glad you see what you've been missing all of this time. In the summer, I go to Joe's on an average of once a week.

Yeah, my gf has been telling me of this place for quite sometime, she hadn't tried it until months ago. We finally went and man, i want to make it a weekly thing, ive never had such wonderful bbq. Im excited to try most of the menu and get fries everytime.:D

Mama Hip Rockets
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
i want oklahoma joes! right now!

too bad i live in springfield. :(

Mama Hip Rockets
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, my gf has been telling me of this place for quite sometime, she hadn't tried it until months ago. We finally went and man, i want to make it a weekly thing, ive never had such wonderful bbq. Im excited to try most of the menu and get fries everytime.:D

their fries are so awesome!

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
their fries are so awesome!

I never eat things cold, it's just a no-no for me on hot foods, but when i took some home i just ate the fries cold, it was so damn good. The GF kept saying that i had to try the best fries ever. I wasn't even hungry when i went but i went ahead anyway and i ended up piggin out.ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
My account wasnt activated until recently

Man i wish I could have 12k post like you

Again... I wasn't making fun of you. I found it ironic that a lurker would make such a post. I thought it was funny.

However, if you're going to be all butt hurt over something as innocuous as my post, officially, you can fuck right off.

Extra Point
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I ate at Pete's in Houston, TX, and the gentleman who took me to that place bragged on how good it was. Sampled everything. Determined that you can't screw up smoked sausage. The sauce was a corn syrup/ketchup solution, diluted with water, not vinegar. The brisket reminded me of a "St. Patrick's day corned beef Meets Cayenne Pepper" short film. The ribs were way the Hell overdone. If that is an inkling of Texas-Style BBQ, then I just don't understand why that place is raved over and over by Houstonians.

I really like the Carolina pulled pork sandwich at OK Joe's. I like the white cabbage cole slaw as a dressing with on the pork.

LC's is great, Gates is good (if you like bread), and BB's has great ribs, beer and blues. Rosedale's has some good ribs, though I'm not a fan of cinnamon in the rub or sauce. Bryant's original sauce is a tad different than what you'd expect at Gates, but it's great, in its own right. Hayward's seems to have gone downhill.

I just like to smoke my own stuff. I have yet to master the beans. If I could find a way to do it like Smoke Stack (their meats are really good), then I'd be in the chips. I just like my own fried taters and onions, and my own rub and sauce. That, and I"m a cheap ass.

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 08:58 PM
ok joe's is also close to 119 the one not in a gas station

sportsman1
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
1. Kansas City
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. North Carolina

I would agree but flip Texas, and NC. My whole family is from KC so I grew up around it. Gates has always been in supply at our house in Texas. Growing up in Texas I can tell you that everything there is average at best. I lived in Memphis for Seven Months.. Corkys has a great dry rub, and Interstate also does ribs very well. Interstate also has BBQ spaghetti which is awesome. When I was in Asheville,NC I had a pretty good Pulled pork sandwich which is why I will take it over Texas.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
1. Kansas City
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. North Carolina

this and end of thread.

the difference is the spices and sauces and types of wood.... or the lack there of. i think TN bbq is rather bland. i like my KC if its good KC... i dont care for AB's or famous daves. but jack stack and gates and some of the smaller joints around town who are lesser known simply own!

TX is good as well as i like the wood used in it.

*found this online, and its a decent response*
The meat of choice is pork (Carolina, Memphis and KC) and beef (Texas).

1) Carolina BBQ - is typically pulled (shredded) pork shoulder with a vinegary sauce. Also, the pulled pork sandwich is topped with cole slaw. (very good!)

2) Memphis BBQ - is typically pork spare ribs cut St. Louis style cooked with a dry rub. Depending upon who you ask, some say the ribs should be served dry (no sauce) while others like them wet.

3) Kansas City BBQ - is mainly about the sauce (For example, KC Masterpiece). The sauce is tomato based and tends to be on the sweet side.

4) Texas BBQ - becuase of it's cattle history, Beef is the choice of meat. More specifically, Beef Brisket. The brisket is coated with a dry rub before bbq'ing. Again, some people like it dry others like it wet.

KCUnited
01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
OK Joe's is my hands down favorite in KC, however its their Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich that I like the best.

ChiefsCountry
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Funny thing is there is always a thread about this on Conference USA message board. They have teams in NC, Memphis and Texas so you get to hear all about all of the different kinds.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
OK Joe's is my hands down favorite in KC, .

the one off 119th? or the one near south KC and i-35 in the gas station?

KCUnited
01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
the one off 119th? or the one near south KC and i-35 in the gas station?

The one on Mission is closest to my place, but the one on 119th is right by my work. I hit them both.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
No McRib?

How dare you sir!

It was destiny, baby.

Minus the omission of the Kentucky influence, I'd say you nailed it dead-on. Good call on the wood. It's ALL about the wood. I gotta' smell that hickory from a block away!

I recently had some non-brine pulled pork that was smoked with pecan; magnificent.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM
The one on Mission is closest to my place, but the one on 119th is right by my work. I hit them both.

hmm :hmmm: im smack dab at the S-Campus... i wonder which is closest to me? im like away from them all equally. i am overdue for some burnt ends :p

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Come up to the mountains and try "Grumpy Jakes"; bring your barf bag.

KCUnited
01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
hmm :hmmm: im smack dab at the S-Campus... i wonder which is closest to me? im like away from them all equally. i am overdue for some burnt ends :p

There's fat guys all over Idaho that would kill for that problem. Go get you some.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM

My fucking Kingdom and this whole godforsaken state for a plate of real, rubbed, and hickory smoked burnt-ends!

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
There's fat guys all over Idaho that would kill for that problem. Go get you some.

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QFT

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
My ****ing Kingdom and this whole godforsaken state for a plate of real, rubbed, and hickory smoked burnt-ends!

dam you! its 10 at night... how am i going to kill this craving for burnt ends .. :deevee:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
dam you! its 10 at night... how am i going to kill this craving for burnt ends .. :deevee:

Ouch! You just missed "last sauce call" all over the BBQ Kingdom!

The good news is; it'll all be there tomorrow.

blueballs
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
big black queens

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Ouch! You just missed "last sauce call" all over the BBQ Kingdom!

The good news is; it'll all be there tomorrow.

:toast:

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Best burnt ends in the KC area can be found at what establishment?

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM

ill take flaming for this but there's two answers depending on my mood IMHO.

quality meat and smooth flavor = Jack Stack

Old School BBQ with some bite = Gates

not to say that others aren't good, im just saying that those are always top of my list for when im in a strictly Burnt-end and nothing else mood.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
:toast:

I can't even get a good steak up in this bitch much less BBQ. Fuckin' Arizona desert rats!:cuss:

I guess they "forged the west" on a diet of Crow and Prairie Dog, 'cause every piece of meat they cook all these years later tastes just about as "great".

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Interesting. The Jack Stack ends were dismissed earlier in the thread...

Strong difference of opinion here.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I can't even get a good steak up in this bitch much less BBQ. ****in' Arizona desert rats!:cuss:

I guess they "forged the west" on a diet of Crow and Prairie Dog, 'cause every piece of meat they cook all these years later tastes just about as "great".

LOL that reminds me of that scene in demolition man when they go in the sewers and eat the rat burger .. LMAO

http://pigmotel.com/suite313/files/2006/12/demolition-man-pigmotel.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Yep, I'm a Gates man. I like having to work a little bit when I chew my brisket.
A lot of the older set like that really super moist brisket swimming in a dark and sweet sauce, but I like more smoke flavor and firmness.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Interesting. The Jack Stack ends were dismissed earlier in the thread...

Strong difference of opinion here.

that's why i noted smooth flavor. they could be called somewhat middle of the road as there not overly smoky, the sauce is kinda sweet and its not very vinegary. i think the only two places ive ever vowed never ot have there BE's ever again was Zarda and Arther Bryant's... both tasted like a chunky version of dry sloppy joes...

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
*found this online, and its a decent response*
The meat of choice is pork (Carolina, Memphis and KC) and beef (Texas).

1) Carolina BBQ - is typically pulled (shredded) pork shoulder with a vinegary sauce. Also, the pulled pork sandwich is topped with cole slaw. (very good!)

2) Memphis BBQ - is typically pork spare ribs cut St. Louis style cooked with a dry rub. Depending upon who you ask, some say the ribs should be served dry (no sauce) while others like them wet.

3) Kansas City BBQ - is mainly about the sauce (For example, KC Masterpiece). The sauce is tomato based and tends to be on the sweet side.

4) Texas BBQ - becuase of it's cattle history, Beef is the choice of meat. More specifically, Beef Brisket. The brisket is coated with a dry rub before bbq'ing. Again, some people like it dry others like it wet.

Get the fuck out.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Get the **** out.

LOL LMAO thats why i said i found it online :p

FTR, i figured anyone who knew about BBQ would simply ignore the KC masterpiece like it was the pink elephant in the room.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
that's why i noted smooth flavor. they could be called somewhat middle of the road as there not overly smoky, the sauce is kinda sweet and its not very vinegary. i think the only two places ive ever vowed never ot have there BE's ever again was Zarda and Arther Bryant's... both tasted like a chunky version of dry sloppy joes...

I hear you. Bryant's doesn't impress me, either. Their sauce, however, is my favorite.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
1.) L.C.'s (as long as they don't "tourist" you. They run low everyday and save the real ends for regulars).

2.) Smokin' Guns

3.) Woodyard

But ya'll wouldn't know about that #2 & #3 shit, since all the talk is about the hugely popular places (Bryant's, Gates, Jack Stack, Smokestack) that aren't worth much of a shit comparatively.

4.) Oklahoma Joe's (only available on Wed. nights)

5.) Snead's

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I hear you. Bryant's doesn't impress me, either. Their sauce, however, is my favorite.

its one that i just havent had enough to get use to. anytime i ask about it, im always told its an acquired taste :shrug: the sauce i mean

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Get the fuck out.

No shit. I fucking cringe every time I go grocery shopping out here and see that shit on the shelves. During the summer season, a lot of people are cooking. And when I meander through the sauce aisle and see someone picking up different bottles and eyeing them, I inform them of my background, inform them that "KC Disasterpiece" is NOT Kansas City personified, and promptly introduce them to Stubbs, as it's the only real-deal we have on the shelves out here.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
1.) L.C.'s (as long as they don't "tourist" you. They run low everyday and save the real ends for regulars).

2.) Smokin' Guns

3.) Woodyard

But ya'll wouldn't know about that #2 & #3 shit, since all the talk is about the hugely popular places (Bryant's, Gates, Jack Stack, Smokestack) that aren't worth much of a shit comparatively.

5.) Snead's

its not just about mainstream. that's why i noted small hole in the wall joints that aren't well known. no point in mentioning a place that an out of towner couldn't find ;)

DeezNutz

2.) Smokin' Guns

3.) Woodyard

5.) Snead's

Nice. I haven't had anything from 1-3, so I this will be corrected soon.

xbarretx
No shit. I ****ing cringe every time I go grocery shopping out here and see that shit on the shelves. During the summer season, a lot of people are cooking. And when I meander through the sauce aisle and see someone picking up different bottles and eyeing them, I inform them of my background, inform them that "KC Disasterpiece" is NOT Kansas City personified, and promptly introduce them to Stubbs, as it's the only real-deal we have on the shelves out here.

stubbs is a GREAT marinade

DeezNutz
its one that i just havent had enough to get use to. anytime i ask about it, im always told its an acquired taste :shrug: the sauce i mean

It's the goods, particularly on ribs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:33 PM

2.) Smokin' Guns

3.) Woodyard

5.) Snead's

#2 and #3 weren't in existence when last I lived in KC. I might have seen something for Smokin' Guns when they first started though. It's been a while.

ChiefsCountry
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
KC Masterpiece :shake:

Now true story - I was in Houston, and me & friend decided to grill it up. So we went to the store to find some BBQ sauce. Couldnt find any of the KC stuff other than Masterpiece which we both declined, so we picked up some HEB KC style. Not even close to real KC sauce. So our BBQ didnt go as well it normally would. Guess I will have to bring BBQ sauce down next I visit.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
its not just about mainstream. that's why i noted small hole in the wall joints that aren't well known. no point in mentioning a place that an out of towner couldn't find ;)
What can I say? I'm a barbecue advocate.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:38 PM
What can I say? I'm a barbecue advocate.

no prob man, keeping me honest is ok :)

is LC's that place near CUJC ? havent had them yet but i go to that costco all the time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
stubbs is a GREAT marinade

Yeah it is.

I'd swear he and Ollie Gates must have crossed paths at one point; their Spicy sauces are damned near identical.

I like to mix it 50/50 with his dark sauce. His regular sauce tastes like a perfected Bryants to me.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
KC Masterpiece :shake:

Now true story - I was in Houston, and me & friend decided to grill it up. So we went to the store to find some BBQ sauce. Couldnt find any of the KC stuff other than Masterpiece which we both declined, so we picked up some HEB KC style. Not even close to real KC sauce. So our BBQ didnt go as well it normally would. Guess I will have to bring BBQ sauce down next I visit.

dam .... yeah i think the only reason people eat at kc masterpiece is b/c there visiting and dont know any better or they simply want BBQ .... but without any smoke or BBQ flavor.

Reaper16
#2 and #3 weren't in existence when last I lived in KC. I might have seen something for Smokin' Guns when they first started though. It's been a while.
I don't know when that was, but if the official restaurants were'nt around yet, then:

Smokin' Guns was still just a competition team racking up awards

Woodyard is located in the same place as Southside Patio & Wood in Merriam -- an actual woodyard. Before setting up the official restaurant, they were cooking food selling it under the table (and getting bitched at by the health department).

xbarretx
Yeah it is.

I'd swear he and Ollie Gates must have crossed paths at one point; their Spicy sauces are damned near identical.

I like to mix it 50/50 with his dark sauce. His regular sauce tastes like a perfected Bryants to me.

i know where Ollie lives, if i see him again ill ask :P

p.s. no im not joking, my dad has a condo in the same building as him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM

is LC's that place near CUJC ? havent had them yet but i go to that costco all the time.

Sni-a-bar and Blue Parkway I think.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM

theres the kcmo one and the op one right? nvm i saw online its closed. ill head on up to the city this weekend. whens a good time to go? 11:15 - 12? to avoid the pre lunch rush

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
dam .... yeah i think the only reason people eat at kc masterpiece is b/c there visiting and dont know any better or they simply want BBQ .... but without any smoke or BBQ flavor.

I'm tellin' ya! I have to school these fuckin' people out here. "If it's as thick as ketchup, it's NOT FUCKING BBQ SAUCE"!
LMAO

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Blue Parkway and Sni-A-Bar Rd.

Reaper16
01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe I should read the thread before responding to posts.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't know when that was, but if the official restaurants were'nt around yet, then:

Smokin' Guns was still just a competition team racking up awards

Woodyard is located in the same place as Southside Patio & Wood in Merriam -- an actual woodyard. Before setting up the official restaurant, they were cooking food selling it under the table (and getting bitched at by the health department).

Now THAT'S fuckin' Barbecue! :thumb:

xbarretx
Maybe I should read the thread before responding to posts.

nah its overrated

Reaper16
theres the kcmo one and the op one right? nvm i saw online its closed. ill head on up to the city this weekend. whens a good time to go? 11:15 - 12? to avoid the pre lunch rush
Go either after or during the rush, actually. Pre-rush you might run into some leftovers from the day before that they left in the smoker.

ChiefsCountry
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
LC's is close to the Sports Complex.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Go either after or during the rush, actually. Pre-rush you might run into some leftovers from the day before that they left in the smoker.

thanks, that's the B**CH about good burnt ends here. they run out fast as a MO-FO.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
LC's is close to the Sports Complex.

OH....... is that the place near the road that takes you the backway into Arrowhead? the road that goes to one lane to pass under that wooden bridge? i know that place! thanks!

its like right on the left side as the road begins to hook right

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
i know where Ollie lives, if i see him again ill ask :P

p.s. no im not joking, my dad has a condo in the same building as him.

I've met Ollie a few times, he's a blast to talk shop with.

When I worked for Bobby Bell, we pretty much did everything Gates style except for our fries( full skinned wedges ), and our BBQ baked beans.

I've never been in to beans, but that fuckin' recepie was and is the best you'll ever eat.

And I remember every damn bit of it, measurements and all.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I've met Ollie a few times, he's a blast to talk shop with.

When I worked for Bobby Bell, we pretty much did everything Gates style except for our fries( full skinned wedges ), and our BBQ baked beans.

I've never been in to beans, but that ****in' recepie was and is the best you'll ever eat.

And I remember every damn bit of it, measurements and all.

well hook it up man! share the wealth

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Come up to the mountains and try "Grumpy Jakes"; bring your barf bag.

Flagstaff or where up in the mountains?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 11:14 PM
well hook it up man! share the wealth

You'll have to "mathmaticize" it down for smaller portions, but it went like this:

The pan was about 7 to 8 inches deep, and about 2 and a half to 3 feet long, and a foot wide.

You fill the pan with up with the large cans of pork and beans, but leave an inch or so; don't top it off.

1 cup of molasses for each number of cans of beans.

1 Cup BBQ sauce for each number of cans of beans.

1 box of brown sugar. regular C&H "store size".

And 1 pack of dry rub. Said measurements of pack being 1 inch thick, and roughly 1 foot by 8 inches.

Put your gloves on, and get to work. Mix until all ingredients are distributed evenly, then cover with foil and bake at smoker temperature, IN the smoker for three to four hours depending on what kind of thickness/texture you desire.

Finally, fine chop two cups of brisket and two cups of ham. Mix them together, and put them in each "crock-pot" sized serving that you transfer out of the big pan and in to your holding pot.

Now, the last time I did this was in 1988, so the details may be a little bit fuzzy. But that's how I remember it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Flagstaff or where up in the mountains?

Wagon Wheel. White Mountains. I live in Pinetop.

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
You'll have to "mathmaticize" it down for smaller portions, but it went like this:

The pan was about 7 to 8 inches deep, and about 2 and a half to 3 feet long, and a foot wide.

You fill the pan with up with the large cans of pork and beans, but leave an inch or so; don't top it off.

1 cup of molasses for each number of cans of beans.

1 Cup BBQ sauce for each number of cans of beans.

1 box of brown sugar. regular C&H "store size".

And 1 pack of dry rub. Said measurements of pack being 1 inch thick, and roughly 1 foot by 8 inches.

Put your gloves on, and get to work. Mix until all ingredients are distributed evenly, then cover with foil and bake at smoker temperature, IN the smoker for three to four hours depending on what kind of thickness/texture you desire.

Finally, fine chop two cups of brisket and two cups of ham. Mix them together, and put them in each "crock-pot" sized serving that you transfer out of the big pan and in to your holding pot.

Now, the last time I did this was in 1988, so the details may be a little bit fuzzy. But that's how I remember it.

REP!

waht brand of beans? just what ever we like or what is recommendeD? also what do you mean dry rub? like i should use my own recipe for a rib rub, or is there a specific product?

thanks again!

p.s. no way ill measure it down. leftover beans rock. i can "food saver" them and freeze em and they last pretty well

Extra Point
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
... You fill the pan with up with the large cans of pork and beans....
That ain't right. Who has a decent recipe for scratch soaked and smoked beans?

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
That ain't right. Who has a decent recipe for scratch soaked and smoked beans?

he probably mentioned that to save time and or figured if we were so inclined we could do that on our own. ill try it both ways regardless

Extra Point
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, but to me scratch beans are the toughest BBQ food to cook. I think I soak them for too long, following the instructions on the bag (overnite)-- they're pretty bad. Not a lot of people are into BBQ bean dip. I think you can get away with far less soak time, and still have decent texture. I usually use northern variety.

Sweet Daddy Hate
REP!

waht brand of beans? just what ever we like or what is recommendeD? also what do you mean dry rub? like i should use my own recipe for a rib rub, or is there a specific product?

thanks again!

p.s. no way ill measure it down. leftover beans rock. i can "food saver" them and freeze em and they last pretty well

The beans were just your regular, garden variety Sysco-affair, nothing special. Just make sure they're not already thickened, because you want that to happen in the cooking process.

If you have your own rub then by all means; go for it! I hear tell there's a BBQ Outlet of sorts in KC now, "Smoke and Fire"?
I'm sure they can hook you up.
But basically, yeah; rib-rub of the orange-gold colored variety.

xbarretx
Yeah, but to me scratch beans are the toughest BBQ food to cook. I think I soak them for too long, following the instructions on the bag (overnite)-- they're pretty bad. Not a lot of people are into BBQ bean dip. I think you can get away with far less soak time, and still have decent texture. I usually use northern variety.

never tried them, i will now. i love to cook! thanks as well

xbarretx
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
The beans were just your regular, garden variety Sysco-affair, nothing special. Just make sure they're not already thickened, because you want that to happen in the cooking process.

If you have your own rub then by all means; go for it! I hear tell there's a BBQ Outlet of sorts in KC now, "Smoke and Fire"?
I'm sure they can hook you up.
But basically, yeah; rib-rub of the orange-gold colored variety.

yep that place is fun :) beats going to a hardware store for gear.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-26-2009, 11:56 PM
yep that place is fun :) beats going to a hardware store for gear.

Oh man! Out here you'll pay an arm and a leg for the Hickory that people are throwing in their fireplaces back in KC. It sucks a monkey butt.

When I first landed up here, I was renting a one-bedroom cabin in an old tourist resort that dated back to the late 30's.
My neighbor was the same age, and he was a resident by way of Missouri also, though he grew up primarily in Arizona.
We used to throw down and cook like a motherfucker during the summer and fall holidays.
He brought some premium, out of state Hickory up from Phoenix for one of our 4th of July shin digs, and I bought some high dollar strip steaks from the ONE local place you can get them.
So I did hickory strip steaks, and he did shredded smoked turkey with green chilies.
The owner of our little community did dark, sweet Texas brisket.

He said "how did you sear in all that flavor"? And I said, "that's the magic of Hickory, baby"!

A bajillion beers, a ton of great meats; what more do you want out of life?

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Some burnt ends and a Bell's Two Hearted Ale = all I ever really need in this world.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Some burnt ends and a Bell's Two Hearted Ale = all I ever really need in this world.

Amen to THAT!

I just flipped the first time I saw that Gospel Sunday Brunch at Stubbs. BBQ, Beer, and the "Make your own Bloody Mary Bar"!

I was like, "There's the one Church on the face of this earth I can completely get behind and look forward to attending".
That's the One Church you'll see the football dad raising hell to get to on time.

God Bless BBQ.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Gates or Arthur Bryant's.

By definition, burnt ends should be kinda chewy, very smoky and very strongly flavored. It should almost be threaded, and kinda jerky-like, covered in sauce.

Jack Stack's burnt ends are 1-inch pieces of cubed brisket. It's NOTHING like what burnt ends are supposed to be.

I once made nothing but burnt ends. I got ahold of a brisket point and cooked the whole fucker until it was burnt ends... then, sliced off the ends, and put the non burnt ends back in the smoker for more burnt ends.

:drool:

Herzig
01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
I was born in Kansas City and tons of family there. My wife went to college in Memphis. I don't know how many arguments we've had over which city has better BBQ.

Herzig
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Is Bobby Bell's BBQ joint still open?

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Memphis specializes in pulled pork BBQ Sandwiches. Goooooood stuff. Hard to find anything like it anywhere outside of TN. Impossible to find it farther south than Montgomery AL.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Memphis specializes in pulled pork BBQ Sandwiches. Goooooood stuff. Hard to find anything like it anywhere outside of TN. Impossible to find it farther south than Montgomery AL.

:hmmm:

There isn't much in the U.S. farther south than Montgomery, AL...

:p

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 07:34 AM
:hmmm:

There isn't much in the U.S. farther south than Montgomery, AL...

:p

LOL.

If you ask me, there's not much on the east coast between Jax FL, and Virginia Beach Va.:D

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Oh man! Out here you'll pay an arm and a leg for the Hickory that people are throwing in their fireplaces back in KC. It sucks a monkey butt.

When I first landed up here, I was renting a one-bedroom cabin in an old tourist resort that dated back to the late 30's.
My neighbor was the same age, and he was a resident by way of Missouri also, though he grew up primarily in Arizona.
We used to throw down and cook like a mother****er during the summer and fall holidays.
He brought some premium, out of state Hickory up from Phoenix for one of our 4th of July shin digs, and I bought some high dollar strip steaks from the ONE local place you can get them.
So I did hickory strip steaks, and he did shredded smoked turkey with green chilies.
The owner of our little community did dark, sweet Texas brisket.

He said "how did you sear in all that flavor"? And I said, "that's the magic of Hickory, baby"!

Back home in TN, we just walk out back, and cut some hickory down. Whatever we don't use, we throw in the trunk, and bring back to So. FL.,to dazzle the locals when they come over for BBQs.

Whoa..dude. 32.70 posts per day??

xbarretx
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM

By definition, burnt ends should be kinda chewy, very smoky and very strongly flavored. It should almost be threaded, and kinda jerky-like, covered in sauce.

Jack Stack's burnt ends are 1-inch pieces of cubed brisket. It's NOTHING like what burnt ends are supposed to be.

I once made nothing but burnt ends. I got ahold of a brisket point and cooked the whole ****er until it was burnt ends... then, sliced off the ends, and put the non burnt ends back in the smoker for more burnt ends.

i agree my friend, its more like a bbq steak than anything. but i didnt want to suggest jumping straight into gates as that might kill a bbq noobs stomach LMAO

also...

i'd love to find a good burnt end recipe. i can do pork ribs like a mofo but i have little luck when it comes to brisket/burnt ends.

xbarretx
01-27-2009, 09:31 AM

end of thread.

oh wait LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Is Bobby Bell's BBQ joint still open?

Unfortunately no. It closed right about the time I graduated from High School in 1989.

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately no. It closed right about the time I graduated from High School in 1989.

Wow, I had no idea you were old.:D

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
i agree my friend, its more like a bbq steak than anything. but i didnt want to suggest jumping straight into gates as that might kill a bbq noobs stomach LMAO

also...

i'd love to find a good burnt end recipe. i can do pork ribs like a mofo but i have little luck when it comes to brisket/burnt ends.

Brisket is pretty tough, in general. I actually do brisket better than I do anything else, but I've spent WAY more time doing it than anything else. You just have to be patient with it, and I've found a wireless probe thermometer to be my best friend. Once the brisket goes in the smoker, I literally don't open it for six hours. I'll open the smoke box and restock the wood or charcoal, but I won't open the cooking chamber at all.

As for burnt ends, the only way to get burnt ends is to use literally the ends that are a little over cooked from the point (fattiest part of a whole brisket).

I don't put any sauce on my brisket while it's cooking. I use the rub only for seasoning, and while it's cooking I'll fill a spray bottle with beer or apple juice. I typically smoke with a 1:1 ratio of hickory and apple wood.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM

I once made nothing but burnt ends. I got ahold of a brisket point and cooked the whole fucker until it was burnt ends... then, sliced off the ends, and put the non burnt ends back in the smoker for more burnt ends.

Yes! That!

That's false advertising; to the flogging post!:evil:

You are a giant among dwarfs who dance around an 18" Stonehenge.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Back home in TN, we just walk out back, and cut some hickory down. Whatever we don't use, we throw in the trunk, and bring back to So. FL.,to dazzle the locals when they come over for BBQs.

Whoa..dude. 32.70 posts per day??

:cuss:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow, I had no idea you were old.:D

:cuss:

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
BBQ is good. Not so much in FL.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Brisket is pretty tough, in general. I actually do brisket better than I do anything else, but I've spent WAY more time doing it than anything else. You just have to be patient with it, and I've found a wireless probe thermometer to be my best friend. Once the brisket goes in the smoker, I literally don't open it for six hours. I'll open the smoke box and restock the wood or charcoal, but I won't open the cooking chamber at all.

As for burnt ends, the only way to get burnt ends is to use literally the ends that are a little over cooked from the point (fattiest part of a whole brisket).

I don't put any sauce on my brisket while it's cooking. I use the rub only for seasoning, and while it's cooking I'll fill a spray bottle with beer or apple juice. I typically smoke with a 1:1 ratio of hickory and apple wood.

I can't believe anyone WOULD put sauce on cooking/smoking brisket! So what's the bottle for if you don't open the door for six hours?

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I can't believe anyone WOULD put sauce on cooking/smoking brisket! So what's the bottle for if you don't open the door for six hours?

A whole brisket (and I don't ever cook just the flat) will take 12-14 hours. I spray about ever hour after that, soak it down.

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
BBQ is good. Not so much in FL.

There's one good place in Pensacola, on the corner of Fairfield, and Mobile Hwy. other than that you're out of luck when it comes to BBQ.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
A whole brisket (and I don't ever cook just the flat) will take 12-14 hours. I spray about ever hour after that, soak it down.

Ahh...sounds like a winner. Do you use the apple wood to temper the hickory a little? Seems like you'd need to if you're doing a 12 to 14 hour cook.

One thing we DO have up here in the mountains is a shitload of apple wood. One of the local grocers makes apple smoked everything. Some of it's good( jerky ), some of it's not.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Ahh...sounds like a winner. Do you use the apple wood to temper the hickory a little? Seems like you'd need to if you're doing a 12 to 14 hour cook.

One thing we DO have up here in the mountains is a shitload of apple wood. One of the local grocers makes apple smoked everything. Some of it's good( jerky ), some of it's not.

I like the little bit of sweetness apple wood imparts, but yes, hickory can get out of hand. I generally taper off the smoke quite a bit after a few hours.

rambleonthruthefog
01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
. And when I meander through the sauce aisle and see someone picking up different bottles and eyeing them, I inform them of my background, inform them that "KC Disasterpiece" is NOT Kansas City personified, and promptly introduce them to Stubbs, as it's the only real-deal we have on the shelves out here.

Stubbs is a lubbock texas original. we still have a stubbs BBQ here in austin, cause the one in lubbock closed down. one of the best concert venues in this town. BBQ, meh

tooge
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
No shit. I ****ing cringe every time I go grocery shopping out here and see that shit on the shelves. During the summer season, a lot of people are cooking. And when I meander through the sauce aisle and see someone picking up different bottles and eyeing them, I inform them of my background, inform them that "KC Disasterpiece" is NOT Kansas City personified, and promptly introduce them to Stubbs, as it's the only real-deal we have on the shelves out here.

Now, stubbs is good sauce. My favorite is either sweet baby rays or blues hog though. Since you are baggin on KC masterpiece though i gotta tell ya, it may be the most used (although modified) sauce on the competition bbq circuit. In fact, a 5 parts kc masterpiece to 1 part honey recipe is used for the BRITU (best ribs in the universe) recipe that was mad famous with wins all over the country. I tried it, and it was a bit sweet for me, but pretty darn good on ribs.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Now, stubbs is good sauce. My favorite is either sweet baby rays or blues hog though. Since you are baggin on KC masterpiece though i gotta tell ya, it may be the most used (although modified) sauce on the competition bbq circuit. In fact, a 5 parts kc masterpiece to 1 part honey recipe is used for the BRITU (best ribs in the universe) recipe that was mad famous with wins all over the country. I tried it, and it was a bit sweet for me, but pretty darn good on ribs.

I tried that stuff a couple years ago based on your suggestion and thought it was flat nasty.

To each his own, I suppose.

tooge
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I tried that stuff a couple years ago based on your suggestion and thought it was flat nasty.

To each his own, I suppose.

Yeah, I know. Why the judges love it? cant tell ya. I think it is because so many of the judges just like really sweet sauce. As far as your brisket, try some cherry with it. I got an entire cherry tree given to me cut into logs. I am now using cherry with the hickory and apple. One caveat though, cherry imparts a very dark color. It can make food look charred if you smoke more than 3 hours with it, but it tastes great.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I know. Why the judges love it? cant tell ya. I think it is because so many of the judges just like really sweet sauce. As far as your brisket, try some cherry with it. I got an entire cherry tree given to me cut into logs. I am now using cherry with the hickory and apple. One caveat though, cherry imparts a very dark color. It can make food look charred if you smoke more than 3 hours with it, but it tastes great.

I used a lot of cherry - my folks cut down a wild cherry tree and saved all the wood for me a couple years ago! Loved that stuff.

Apple's easier for me to get 'round here, so that's what I usually go for, but when I had the cherry I frequently used cherry and pecan, or cherry, apple, hickory as you suggest.

tooge
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
little too cold to Q here right now, but I'm chompin at the bit.

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
There's one good place in Pensacola, on the corner of Fairfield, and Mobile Hwy. other than that you're out of luck when it comes to BBQ.

Yeah, it kind of pisses me off that people here think Smokey Bones is good BBQ. Like this guy I work with who thinks Papa Johns is good pizza, I guess they just don't know any better. :shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Stubbs is a lubbock texas original. we still have a stubbs BBQ here in austin, cause the one in lubbock closed down. one of the best concert venues in this town. BBQ, meh

Stubbs got MOJO! The meats didn't look all that great at the website, but I'll reserve judgment until actual tasting.

Ketchup.

tooge
01-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Stubbs got MOJO! The meats didn't look all that great at the website, but I'll reserve judgment until actual tasting.

Ketchup.

Umm yeah, you sound like a real expert there. I happen to like stubbs. Some might say "hotsauce" for stubbs like you say "ketchup" to sweet baby rays. I've been doing the comp thing a long time, and to each his own, but you sure do go out of your way to make it sound like you are a know it all.

rambleonthruthefog
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

as long as you go for a concert and not for the BBQ, it'll be alright. If just for BBQ i'd go to several other places 1st.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Umm yeah, you sound like a real expert there. I happen to like stubbs. Some might say "hotsauce" for stubbs like you say "ketchup" to sweet baby rays. I've been doing the comp thing a long time, and to each his own, but you sure do go out of your way to make it sound like you are a know it all.

Wow! You gathered all that from ONE word?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
as long as you go for a concert and not for the BBQ, it'll be alright. If just for BBQ i'd go to several other places 1st.

The majority of Texas BBQ I've had has always been on the overly-excessive mild side.

It's like, "don't wanna' scare the old folks"!

Give me some names so I can go online and check it out! Please.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Supposedly, the sweet stuff doesn't do very well in SC competitions. Goes over like gangbusters in NC, but SC not so much.

Don't know. We'll see. I just have to find some people to cook with, not sure if I could handle a competition on my own.

Toadkiller
01-27-2009, 01:43 PM
A brisket on my smoker usually takes about an hour and a half per pound. When done you separate the flat from the point and put the point back on for a few more hours for burnt ends.

A good site for learning to smoke is the virtualweberbullet.com site, specially good if you have the awesome Weber bullet.

kindra68
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Because of this thread, I had to stop at Big Jakes for a smoked turkey sammy, baked beans, homemade mac and cheese and a big ol glass of sweet tea. Good stuff, man.

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I once went to a "pig-picken" at a Baptist Church in Florence,SC. Dont get in the way of hungry Baptists at a "pig-picken"!!!
I had to change churches soon after. I though they were going to eat my children!

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I really want to get a decent smoker on a small trailer hitch... can't afford it though.

tooge
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Supposedly, the sweet stuff doesn't do very well in SC competitions. Goes over like gangbusters in NC, but SC not so much.

Don't know. We'll see. I just have to find some people to cook with, not sure if I could handle a competition on my own.

I haven't done one on my own yet either, but I would imagine it would be pretty hectic around turn in time. I was the only one there at an event last year when a sever thunderstorm came through and destroyed the site. That was fun all by myself.

tooge
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow! You gathered all that from ONE word?

Not really. More from a compilation of most of your posts.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
I haven't done one on my own yet either, but I would imagine it would be pretty hectic around turn in time. I was the only one there at an event last year when a sever thunderstorm came through and destroyed the site. That was fun all by myself.

My wife wants to do one with me, but she'd be worthless cooking. She might be good to help at turn in time.

But I've never cooked in a competition before, just judged.

tooge
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
My wife wants to do one with me, but she'd be worthless cooking. She might be good to help at turn in time.

But I've never cooked in a competition before, just judged.

I dont theink the cooking part would be that hard alone. At turn in, if she could make up the boxes and run them to the turn in, then you could cut up the meat. That seems to be the only real hectic time.

rambleonthruthefog
01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
The majority of Texas BBQ I've had has always been on the overly-excessive mild side.

It's like, "don't wanna' scare the old folks"!

Give me some names so I can go online and check it out! Please.

For my $, it don't get much better than http://www.saltlickbbq.com/. The one in Driftwood, just south of austin, is the best one. its the original, its byob, its just about perfect. The Original and Habanero(my fav) sauce are great. They got one in the airport too, get the sausage plate.

I also like http://www.rudys.com/. It started as a gas station and BBQ, and now they are all over TX. I think they got one in OK, too. The "sause" is boss at rudy's. it is a hot BBQ sauce, kinda thin, lots of black pepper, delicious. Its the closets and i eat there the most so get the jalepeno sausage and some banana pudding.

I had my wedding reception at http://www.countylinebbq.com/. Its a nicer BBQ restaraunt. Good ribs, briskit smoked for 18 hrs. The one on the lake is the best. feel free to feed the turtles.

also http://www.greenmesquite.net/. get the BBQ turkey stuffed potatoe, a "baker". i hear http://www.ironworksbbq.com/ is good. they claim to be #1 in the state.

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/ & http://www.coopersbbq.com/ are hot spots bout an hour out of town. if your drivin in, they are a good stop.

almost forgot my favorite chopped beef sandwich. http://www.hillscafe.com/

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
For my $, it don't get much better than http://www.saltlickbbq.com/. The one in Driftwood, just south of austin, is the best one. its the original, its byob, its just about perfect. The Original and Habanero(my fav) sauce are great. They got one in the airport too, get the sausage plate.

I also like http://www.rudys.com/. It started as a gas station and BBQ, and now they are all over TX. I think they got one in OK, too. The "sause" is boss at rudy's. it is a hot BBQ sauce, kinda thin, lots of black pepper, delicious. Its the closets and i eat there the most so get the jalepeno sausage and some banana pudding.

I had my wedding reception at http://www.countylinebbq.com/. Its a nicer BBQ restaraunt. Good ribs, briskit smoked for 18 hrs. The one on the lake is the best. feel free to feed the turtles.

also http://www.greenmesquite.net/. get the BBQ turkey stuffed potatoe, a "baker". i hear http://www.ironworksbbq.com/ is good. they claim to be #1 in the state.

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/ & http://www.coopersbbq.com/ are hot spots bout an hour out of town. if your drivin in, they are a good stop.

almost forgot my favorite chopped beef sandwich. http://www.hillscafe.com/

Right on, thanks!

gblowfish
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
The poop and nothing but the poop on KC BBQ here:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
The poop and nothing but the poop on KC BBQ here:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

That was awesome; I fully approve!

REP!

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
That was awesome; I fully approve!

REP!
You wouldn't fully approve if you'd been to KC lately. Bryant's and Rosedale are mere husks of what they used to be. That they are ranked above Oklahoma Joe's and L.C.'s is so absurd as to make my eye socket ache.

xbarretx
01-27-2009, 07:42 PM

sounds similar to waht i do i just need to get a rub then. ill try it. thanks man!

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
You wouldn't fully approve if you'd been to KC lately. Bryant's and Rosedale are mere husks of what they used to be. That they are ranked above Oklahoma Joe's and L.C.'s is so absurd as to make my eye socket ache.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a cut above anything the Star ever puked up.

I used to work out of the Water Dept. 18th St. Complex, so I ate at Bryant's now and again. I was never big on their sauce though, so I kept a bottle of Gates in my van.

I never understood the public's craving for Rosedale; that sauce was the nastiest shit I've ever had the displeasure of sampling.

KCTitus
01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Carolina BBQ is, by far, the worst of all the BBQ's. It's watery vinegar based sauce flat ruins what low quality meat they have to begin with. It's mostly pulled pork, that's pretty much it. You dont get good brisket or ribs from a 'Carolina' type place.

Memphis, I do enjoy as much as KC style -- since it's more based on rub rather than the sauce, and I have incorporated that into my BBQ as well. I have always like Gates sauce, and I still ship it out east for my BBQ's, but some of my friends dont like it, but they have to come to love my home made rub.

I began experimenting with Mustard and Mustard seed this last summer and was suprised at the pop it gives--I just didnt want to believe that Mustard had that kind of impact. I just wish the meat quality was better on the east coast.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Carolina BBQ is, by far, the worst of all the BBQ's. It's watery vinegar based sauce flat ruins what low quality meat they have to begin with. It's mostly pulled pork, that's pretty much it. You dont get good brisket or ribs from a 'Carolina' type place.

Memphis, I do enjoy as much as KC style -- since it's more based on rub rather than the sauce, and I have incorporated that into my BBQ as well. I have always like Gates sauce, and I still ship it out east for my BBQ's, but some of my friends dont like it, but they have to come to love my home made rub.

I began experimenting with Mustard and Mustard seed this last summer and was suprised at the pop it gives--I just didnt want to believe that Mustard had that kind of impact. I just wish the meat quality was better on the east coast.
You'll be very, very happy if you start making your own BBQ sauce.

3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1-2 Tbsp. ground black pepper (I use 2)
1 oz. package of chili seasoning (I use Alton Brown's homemade chili powder (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28230,00.html))
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ground ginger (I use 2 tsp. fresh grated)
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (I prefer chipotle pepper)
1/4 tsp. mace
1 c. vinegar (I like unfiltered apple cider vinegar)
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. water
32 oz. bottle of Heinz ketchup

Combine all the dry ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Add vinegar, molasses and water, stirring until blended. Stir in ketchup (I find a whisk does the best job). Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If you like, add 1-3 tsp. liquid smoke. I always use this sauce on brisket and ribs that I've smoked, so I don't want any of the fake stuff near my Q.

It makes quite a bit, but it'll what you don't use will fit back inside the ketchup bottle and will keep in the fridge for up to a year.

This recipe is from the Kansas City BBQ Society, called Kansas City Classic Sauce. As you see, I've made a few alterations for what I like better. But if you only do one thing, make your own chili powder.

Another tip: buy all of your spices whole. Keep them in the freezer until you need them. When you need them, pull out what you need, lightly toast them in a DRY skillet, then grind them. It makes all the difference in the world. Toasting them brings their essential oils to life. If they're already cracked or ground, you lose a tremendous amount of flavor in very little time.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
If you're partial to Gates, this recipe is spot on.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1689.html

1 c. sugar
1/4 c. salt
2 Tbsp. celery seed
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. ground cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 qt. ketchup
2 c. apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. liquid smoke (I leave this out)
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt, celery seed, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, liquid smoke, and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients and mix until very well blended. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Sauce may be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in freezer for up to 6 months.

Yield: about 3 quarts

Extra Point
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Why should you have to chop meat? Pulled (pork butt) or sliced (brisket), the texture yields the flavor, and level of doneness. Sure, I can see chopping ribs to separate them, or to chop off burnt ends, but a sharp heavy knife does the job.

Chopped meat is just... institutional.

rambleonthruthefog
01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Why should you have to chop meat? Pulled (pork butt) or sliced (brisket), the texture yields the flavor, and level of doneness. Sure, I can see chopping ribs to separate them, or to chop off burnt ends, but a sharp heavy knife does the job.

Chopped meat is just... institutional.

Ya want it chopped fine, that way it melts in you mouth quicker so you can take another bite. With the right mix of BBQ sauce you should be able to eat it with a spoon.

Toadkiller
01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I use bear paws for shredding my pork butts and they work very well. You can get them on ebay, look up bear paws meat handlers.

Extra Point
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Ya want it chopped fine, that way it melts in you mouth quicker so you can take another bite. With the right mix of BBQ sauce you should be able to eat it with a spoon.

I want to eat Q my teeth. Thanks. In another twenty or thirty years, then that would be acceptable. Until then, I still remember the Pre-Chewed Charlie's sketch from SNL.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM

IMVHO Oklahoma Joes has the best BBQ in KC.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM

2.) Smokin' Guns

3.) Woodyard

5.) Snead's

Thanks Reaper I haven't tried 2,3 and 5. I went to LC's once I thought it was just ok.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
sounds similar to waht i do i just need to get a rub then. ill try it. thanks man!

We need a Planet-Wide Poll on burnt ends, a little market research if you will.

Something to the effect of, "how do you rank burnt ends on your personal scale of BBQ favorites"?

a) Love 'em; can't get enough.

b) Every now and again, but I have other favorites.

c) Do Not Want.

I'd do it myself, but I can't create threads.

Thanks!

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Something to the effect of, "how do you rank burnt ends on your personal scale of BBQ favorites"?

c) Do Not Want.

Thanks!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201420

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201420

Excellent. Thanks!

|Zach|
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/RKbUQknK3gbTz7VSwUZWrw/1115/1153"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/RKbUQknK3gbTz7VSwUZWrw/1115/1153" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

rambleonthruthefog
01-30-2009, 01:33 PM

c) Do Not Want.

Thanks!

though i'm sure i'll get ripped. i've never seen burnt ends on a menu in this state, and won't pretend to know what they are.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
though i'm sure i'll get ripped. i've never seen burnt ends on a menu in this state, and won't pretend to know what they are.

Burnt ends are the pieces of the point (the fatty part of a whole brisket) that have become a little tough, and generally over-smoked. They are VERY powerfully flavored, and typically you either love them or hate them.

Smokers will trim the burnt ends off, chop them up, and cover them with sauce. Put the pile of smoky goodness on a bun and eat with delight.

Oftentimes, cooks will not offer them up for sale... kind of the cook's delight/treat.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Burnt ends are the pieces of the point (the fatty part of a whole brisket) that have become a little tough, and generally over-smoked. They are VERY powerfully flavored, and typically you either love them or hate them.

Smokers will trim the burnt ends off, chop them up, and cover them with sauce. Put the pile of smoky goodness on a bun and eat with delight.

Oftentimes, cooks will not offer them up for sale... kind of the cook's delight/treat.

Yep, we're predictable like that. Although I prefer to think of it as "Cooks Reward"!

rambleonthruthefog
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM

oh then, yes, those are delicious. i also love when the fattest meaties part of the ribs get a little to cooked and a little tough.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks Reaper I haven't tried 2,3 and 5. I went to LC's once I thought it was just ok.
One of the most important things I've learned over the course of my BBQ-eating years is that you can't really judge a place based off of only one visit. BBQ is such a fickle dance of timing that any place can have off-days. I've had some terrible pulled pork sandwiches at Oklahoma Joe's a couple of times (whereas they are usually first rate). Any place can have an off-day.

You probably caught L.C.'s on an off-day.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
One of the most important things I've learned over the course of my BBQ-eating years is that you can't really judge a place based off of only one visit. BBQ is such a fickle dance of timing that any place can have off-days. I've had some terrible pulled pork sandwiches at Oklahoma Joe's a couple of times (whereas they are usually first rate). Any place can have an off-day.

That is very true. It's also one of the reasons I favor Gates so much. I've eaten at EVERY location, and I never once got a sub-par plate of goods.
Obviously, they have a game plan and they stick to it.

I like the variety of the different places in KC. I like it when a place finds it's own unique take and builds on it. To a certain extent, we're all reinventing the wheel. But, there are many variables and options that if you have some imagination and skill, can allow you to achieve your own thing.

There's a place close to the Peanut in the 50-something block of Main Street that definitely has their own slant on the tradition. They tend to focus more on the meats than sauces, and it's a new experience your taste buds might enjoy. I remember they offer smoked garlic as a separate entity
to augment your dish with.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
There's a place close to the Peanut in the 50-something block of Main Street that definitely has their own slant on the tradition. They tend to focus more on the meats than sauces, and it's a new experience your taste buds might enjoy. I remember they offer smoked garlic as a separate entity
to augment your dish with.
Jake's?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Jake's?

I'm pretty sure that's it.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM

That is a good point. I will try it again but when I don't get up to the city but once or so a month I have to make some hard choices if you know what I mean.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
That is a good point. I will try it again but when I don't get up to the city but once or so a month I have to make some hard choices if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

ChiefsCountry
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
If you're partial to Gates, this recipe is spot on.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1689.html

Do you bring it to a boil or how do you heat it up?

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Do you bring it to a boil or how do you heat it up?

Bring it to a boil, then simmer it for 30 minutes or until it gets to the consistency you like. Remember: it will thicken as it cools.

ChiefsCountry
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Bring it to a boil, then simmer it for 30 minutes or until it gets to the consistency you like. Remember: it will thicken as it cools.

Thanks!

MOhillbilly
01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
meat + fire the ultimate in caveman.

slather on the be all to end all in mass produced sauce.

http://sk1.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/c4d440d96461fb14 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0206meYNJhYUApz2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBpZTByOGFiBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNzcgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=1m2l8ed69/EXP=1233439526/**http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/images/view%3Fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fei%253DUTF-8%2526p%253Dbryant%2527s%252520sweet%252520heat%2526SpellState%253Dn-2275541408_q-rPPj4.AenxHnVbDRjktEAQAAAA%252540%252540%2526fr2%253Dtab-web%2526fr%253Dyfp-t-501%26w=250%26h=320%26imgurl=arthurbryantsbbq.com%252Fab%252Fimages%252Fwhole_case_sweet_heat.jpg%26 rurl=http%253A%252F%252Farthurbryantsbbq.com%252Fab%252Findex.php%253Fmain_page%253Dproduct_info%252 6products_id%253D1%26size=16.2kB%26name=whole_case_sweet_heat.jpg%26p=bryant%2527s%2Bsweet%2Bheat%26 type=JPG%26oid=c4d440d96461fb14%26no=2%26tt=7%26sigr=12d9vbhlk%26sigi=11oq0f9lu%26sigb=15329hh1l)

ohhhh i think it moved.

PunkinDrublic
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
KC BBQ is the best hands down. I do like trying different BBQ from different regions of the country though when I'm in that part of the country. For the KC expats has anybody tried Rufus Teagues? I see it and a couple other BBQ sauces out of KC whenever I'm at whole foods and I haven't tried it yet.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that's it.
That's one of the few places that I haven't been to at least once. I'll have to go sometime.

Extra Point
01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
That's one of the few places that I haven't been to at least once. I'll have to go sometime.

Old man Jake Edwards (and his restaurant, formerly located at 51st & Main) passed on, but his recipe (from what I was told when I called) passed on to Jake's Smokehouse BBQ at 8314 Wornall Rd. Kitchen closes at 11 p. Better hurry!

What's the story about Jake's BLVD BBQ on SW Blvd?

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Old man Jake Edwards (and his restaurant, formerly located at 51st & Main) passed on, but his recipe (from what I was told when I called) passed on to Jake's Smokehouse BBQ at 8314 Wornall Rd. Kitchen closes at 11 p. Better hurry!

Danny Edwards runs BLVD BBQ. He was running Danny Edward's (formerly Lil' Jake's) Eat It an' Beat It over where the Sprint Center is now. City forced him out of his lot to build parking. Danny moved the place to its current location on Southwest Boulevard.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 07:37 PM

It was 10 years ago, but the guys who were running Jake's on Main were probably in their 30's or 40's.

Danny Edwards runs BLVD BBQ. He was running Danny Edward's (formerly Lil' Jake's) Eat It an' Beat It over where the Sprint Center is now. City forced him out of his lot to build parking. Danny moved the place to its current location on Southwest Boulevard.

That sucks. It wasn't the greatest place, but it WAS a downtown institution for certain. I'm guessing they leveled the rest of the block too.
One of my good friend's friend actually owned the Main Street Morgue back in the 80's.

Extra Point
02-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Yesterday's smoked pork butt turned out excellent and the homemade smoked BBQ beans (parked under the pork butt for an hour) still need a little work, but ate. Getting closer on the beans, and the beer BBQ sauce recipe didn't turn out bad at all.

Toadkiller
02-01-2009, 02:55 PM
These are the best beans I have ever made, I leave out the heat since my kids can't take it.:
Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.