PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interview with Brad Cottam

Hammock Parties
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Some interesting stuff.

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=833909

Former University of Tennessee tight end Brad Cottam was selected by the Chiefs in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft. Scout.com's Senior NFL Analyst, Ed Thompson, caught up with Cottam for an exclusive interview to discuss his NFL rookie experience.

Kansas City Chiefs rookie Brad Cottam played in all 16 games during 2008, starting in seven of those contests. While his receiving opportunities were limited by the presence of perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, Cottam used his 6-foot-7, 249-pound frame to the Chiefs' advantage as an effective blocker during his debut season. With unusual speed for his size, running the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds at the NFL Combine last year, Cottam is the tight end of the future for Kansas City. I checked in with the former third-round draft pick out of the University of Tennessee to talk about his rookie experience.

For more coverage of the Chiefs, visit Scout.com's Kansas City site, WarpaintIllustrated.com.

Ed Thompson: Since Kansas City still had Tony Gonzalez on their roster, did you ever imagine that you would have the opportunity to start so often during your rookie season?

Brad Cottam: Being drafted by the Chiefs, I was told that Chan Gailey used a lot of two-tight-end sets, so that was something that I was aiming for. But obviously, with it being my rookie year, I wasn't sure how realistic it was, not being sure how long it would take to get accustomed to everything with this being a step above college. So I'm glad to be where I am.

Thompson: What were some of the biggest challenges, and how quickly did you adapt to the playbook?

Cottam: It wasn't as big of an adjustment as I thought it would be. What I tell people is that playing in the NFL is like going up against the toughest players you faced in college, but now you're facing them every week, because everybody's at that level. Probably strength isn't that much of a difference, the biggest thing is the speed. But learning a new offense was kind of tough because I had been in the same program for five years, and basically in the same offense. One of the things that made it easier was that we had a new offensive coordinator for the team, so everyone was going through that learning experience and that slowed it down a little bit. Most of the change for me was the terms, not what you were doing. I remember when I first got to Kansas City, I was converting what I was learning in Kansas City versus what I knew it as at Tennessee, but after a while it went more smoothly and I didn't have to think about it too much.

Thompson: How much has your size been an asset at this level?

Cottam: It's been huge for me, because after missing a lot of my senior year, teams mainly had to evaluate my potential. Early in the season I was primarily a blocking tight end and I wasn't going out on many routes. But as we went along and changed the offense a little bit, I started running a lot more routes and getting the ball little bit. But that's the thing about being a tight end, you've got to be a dual threat. And when you've got someone on your team like Tony Gonzalez, they're not going to play you much unless you can bring something else to the table. So with my size, I was able to block.

Thompson: Statistically, your best receiving game of the year was against the Jets when you had four catches in that game. What was clicking for you that week?

Cottam: That was the first week where we kind of changed things up. We went into a version of the two minute drill, just not quite as fast. I was actually split out, and our plan going in was just to use it for one series, but it worked so well we just kept going with it. I think it kind of surprised them, and I hadn't caught any passes this season up until then, so they weren't real concerned about me as a receiving threat. And then as we opened it up, it gave Tyler (Thigpen) another receiving target and it helped the whole offense.

Thompson: What are some of the most valuable things that you picked up this year by working alongside a guy like Tony Gonzalez?

Cottam: I think the biggest thing you'll notice is that he really does work harder than everybody else. If you watch him, he's doing things that you wouldn't think that someone who's been around as long as he has would be doing. He stays after practice to catch more balls. And during the games, when the defense is on the field, he's on the sidelines catching balls, and he's always doing little things with his footwork. I think seeing him as a Pro Bowler and still putting out that extra effort has shown me that it really does pay off. I think that's really what sets him apart is that he's willing to do all that work.

Thompson: What you enjoying the most about playing in the NFL?

Cottam: First of all, it's just a blessing that I can do this for a career. Not many people can say that, and sometimes I sit back and think about the fact that I get paid to do something that I love. One of the really cool things was that the first day that I got here, I saw that my locker was next to Tony's, and this is a guy who has been in the league for 12 years, someone I grew up watching as a kid. And now to be playing right alongside him is just amazing. It's funny, because he doesn't seem like he's that much older at all. It's really cool to be playing with all these guys that you been watching over the years, like when we played the Jets and I was standing on the sidelines watching Brett Favre, and it gradually sinks in that I'm playing in the NFL with these guys.

Thompson: Do you ever poke a little fun at Tony, reminding him how young you were when you started watching him play?

Cottam: (laughing) Yeah, we've talked about it, because I was in like sixth grade, I think. We've got a couple guys like Brian Waters and Donnie Edwards that are around his age, so it's kind of weird to be playing with guys who are that much older than me.

Thompson: At your position you've got to wrestle with some nasty guys up on the line. Who wore you out a bit by the end of the game?

Cottam: I'd say that one of those guys was Julius Peppers. That game against Carolina was probably one of the first games where I was helping to block a really big-name defensive end. He was a tough guy, but I hate to single him out, because it was tough every week. That's one of the biggest differences from college, there is no one that you go up against where you can take it easy, because everyone is big and fast and strong.

Cheater5
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Not convinced that he is the heir apparent to #88. Would not be surprised if he is gone in two or three years.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I have not read it yet. Has he "EARNED" the starting TE spot too?

InChiefsHeaven
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Ah, no. He seems to have the right mindset, and he'll learn all he can from Tony. Now, weather or not he has the ability is something that only time will tell. I like that he's big AND fast...and he has at least one more season under TG's tutelage. He'll either make it or not, but it won't be because he was not coached well.

Phobia
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I've never felt his hands were good enough.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Ask Clayton. He'll tell you from personal experience. :evil:

InChiefsHeaven
01-27-2009, 01:08 PM

Did he have a ton of drops or something?

Pablo
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Well, hopefully once Tony leaves, we'll start utilizing WR's much more frequently and Cottam will never have to develop into a phenomenal pass-catching TE, although it wouldn't hurt...

Tony is great, and I think Cottam will be everything we need in a TE, good blocking, great size, decent hands...

BigChiefFan
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I think he'll make good number two TE for us for a long time.

StcChief
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
It maybe all on him if he has areas needing improvement. Seems Tony started out having to work hard. ... but he never let up. Let's hope Cottam can learn from him and do the same. I'll settle for quality TE. Probowl level is a bonus.

Cheater5
01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Yup. At 6'7" he needs to be heavier than 249lbs to fill a Jason Dunn-type role. Could put on 20-25 more pounds easily on that frame.

CoMoChief
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Yup. At 6'7" he needs to be heavier than 249lbs to fill a Jason Dunn-type role. Could put on 20-25 more pounds easily on that frame.

Eh, he could be like a Marcelliius Bennett guy on Dallas, from TXAM a year ago.

CoMoChief
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
NEED....TO....DRAFT.....COFFMAN, trade TonyG, trade LJ, need to get more picks to fill other holes.

This is not the year to draft a QB in the first day.

Cheater5
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Just read in the Sporting News how Josh Freeman's stock is rising considerably, and perhaps in the top three of this year's QB class.

I agree with you on Coffman- that guy is going to be a stud for someone. Probably freakin' NE Pats...

beach tribe
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Chiefs fans say that every year.

RealSNR
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty fucking sick of drafting TEs every goddamn year.

I was extremely pissed at the Cottam pick, considering we have one of the best in the game that will be playing for at least two more years. "He's getting older?? OH T3H NOES, WE NEED TO DRAFT A REPLACEMENT FOR ONE OF THE MORE WORTHLESS POSITIONS IN THE GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!"

I had hoped that once that abortion of a pick in Kris Wilson didn't work out, we wouldn't have to fuck around anymore. Apparently not, and no matter the natural talent Cottam possesses, it was a bad idea to worry about a TE replacement in a draft where we're building the IMMEDIATE future. We needed help everywhere on the team, I understand, but backup TE? Give me a break.

Now if Cottam isn't Tony's replacement, there's another draft pick down the shitter. :#

The Franchise
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM
NEED....TO....DRAFT.....COFFMAN, trade TonyG, trade LJ, need to get more picks to fill other holes.

FFS moran.

North Dakota Chief
01-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Claythan

Why didn't you interview Cottam instead of Ed Thompson?

Brock
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty ****ing sick of drafting TEs every goddamn year.

I was extremely pissed at the Cottam pick, considering we have one of the best in the game that will be playing for at least two more years. "He's getting older?? OH T3H NOES, WE NEED TO DRAFT A REPLACEMENT FOR ONE OF THE MORE WORTHLESS POSITIONS IN THE GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!"

You need to take a look at the Patriots drafts of the past several years. They've been known to draft 2 of them in the same draft.

RealSNR
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
You need to take a look at the Patriots drafts of the past several years. They've been known to draft 2 of them in the same draft.Exactly. They need it, and are solid at most other positions.

Can you name the Patriots' starting TE right now?

Neither can I. Ben Watson? Christian Fauria? No clue.

InChiefsHeaven
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Exactly. They need it, and are solid at most other positions.

Can you name the Patriots' starting TE right now?

Neither can I. Ben Watson? Christian Fauria? No clue.

Seems to me that drafting a TE at a later round while you still have the greatest TE in the game to tutor him isn't a totally horrible idea...but I understand that we have a ton of other needs too. Might have been a bad pick for the 3rd round, but we'll see. :shrug:

RealSNR
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Seems to me that drafting a TE at a later round while you still have the greatest TE in the game to tutor him isn't a totally horrible idea...but I understand that we have a ton of other needs too. Might have been a bad pick for the 3rd round, but we'll see. :shrug:In the meantime, Michael Allan was still working through his transition to the pros, and was making a lot of progress. We put an end to that, didn't we?

And THEN we draft Michael Merritt?

Yeah, picking up some replacements for Tony isn't a bad idea at all. But we're doing it TOO MANY FUCKING TIMES.

ChiefGator
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I think he'll make good number two TE for us for a long time.

Absolutely. I think he could be a good number two, blocking TE with a threat of receptions.

ChiefGator
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Now if Cottam isn't Tony's replacement, there's another draft pick down the shitter. :#

Best player available.

RealSNR
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Best player available.The theory behind that philosophy is that your draft picks work out. Especially if you're drafting in the 3rd round.

Drafting an amazing TE athlete does shit if we're forced to draft another asshole in the 2nd round a couple years later.

Whatever. All of this is speculation that Cottam won't work out, anyway. He hasn't dropped shit when it's been thrown to him, at least.

dj56dt58
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM

neither was last year...

Brock
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
neither was last year...

How did you know?

If Matt Ryan is there at our pick we should consider trading down to BAL pick.

DrRyan
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree with being irritated with the Cottam pick last year. I would have been more pleased with an offensive lineman(I believe the tackle out of KU was still there) or LB or WR. The list goes on. Maybe he works out, maybe he does not, but we had bigger needs and IMO there were BPA at the spot we grabbed him.

HTrayne
01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I like the Cottam pick. Had Tony been traded mid-season or his health had finally caught him at his age, what would we have in the wings? Michael Allan? He's out of the league right now.

With Cottom's size, speed, blocking ability, and apparently his attitude, I think it was a quality pick, especially in a double-TE offense, seeing as we lost Jason Dunn. We basically draft another starter in the 3rd round. And he has an upside. He hasn't reached his potential yet.

I like the pick and I'm sticking to it.