PDA

View Full Version : Life You Versus Your Father

Rain Man
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
How do you stack up against your father? (Female posters: against your mother)?

Poll following, which is the spitting image of its predecessor.

Rules: There will likely be some questions that you can't answer. In those cases, don't answer them. For example, if you don't have kids, you can't discern whether they're better behaved than your father's kids.

Hammock Parties
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Well, he's not a virgin.

blueballs
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
He died in a crackhouse fire

bowener
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
My father would be more confused by this thread than I am.

kstater
01-27-2009, 08:27 PM
This poll depresses me.

Katipan
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
This poll excited me so much I had to log on and vote.

Iowanian
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I'll never catch up to my dad in overall knowledge. He can do so many things that I can, a jack of all trades. A damn good guy, family man and role model.

Interestingly enough....My dad met my mother when she came home from college for a visit with his sister, who was her roomate.

Brideowanian was my sister's roomate at the same college, and became smitten with me while at our family home on a visit.

JOhn
01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
No need to vote.....

Dad was a drunken wife beater til the day he died of lead poisoning, and his kids hated him....

I win.

JuicesFlowing
01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
It's an interesting poll. I wish one of the options was debt owed (less/more/same). I bet most people these days have more debt than their parents.

BigVE
01-27-2009, 08:40 PM
It's an interesting poll. I wish one of the options was debt owed (less/more/same). I bet most people these days have more debt than their parents.

Heck yeah, it's not how much you MAKE it's how much you KEEP!

StcChief
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Rainman ... This a poll for the ages. I nominate this for HOC after all have had a chance to chime in....

BigVE
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Dang, look at how many people have responded already.

old_geezer
01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
My father was a man of integrity with an incredible work ethic. He worked his butt off to insure that mom and all of us kids had food on the table and clothes to wear. I don't know of a single person he ever met who didn't like him. He told me "The most important thing I can give you is my name. Leave it in as good or better shape than you got it and you'll have a good life".

He was right. That's all that matters.

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm smarter, more accomplished, higher educated, better looking, more financially secure, have a greater career outlook and more ambition.

However, my dad has and had a higher work ethic and everything on my list I owe to him & mom.

Over-Head
01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Shame on you for not having a Gaz option Kevin :mad:

Bugeater
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
My father was a failure on pretty much every level, it really didn't take a lot of effort to outdo him.

BigVE
01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm smarter, more accomplished, higher educated, better looking, more financially secure, have a greater career outlook and more ambition.

However, my dad has and had a higher work ethic and everything on my list I owe to him & mom.

And your so humble too. Gag. ;)

JOhn
01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
My father was a failure on pretty much every level, it really didn't take a lot of effort to outdo him.

Brother?

Seriously, I know exactly how you feel.

CrazyPhuD
01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Wow I actually had to answer this one seriously for once...probably the first poll in months.

Although if I have no kids what does it say if I said my kids were smarter than my fathers at my age? :)

Will be interesting to see the results. Net for me is, education similar, he had a family at my age, but I don't, I am more fiscally well off than him at my age. There is probably a correlation in that trade off. ;)

BigRock
01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Mom says I have more stamina.

Hammock Parties
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM

But he has a bigger penis, I bet.

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM

No wonder you don't chase girls, you're into dick.

EyePod
01-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Yep, same with me. My dad had a great work ethic and was able to get out of an hourly wage job. This allowed me to go to college, and I will be graduating this June with a BS/MS. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Also, I'm a Chiefs fan, and my father is a Giants fan (poor guy).

JOhn
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
No wonder you don't chase girls, you're into dick.

I'm down with anal play.

But at least I have a choice.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5432525&postcount=132

We have awinner

OnTheWarpath15
01-27-2009, 10:16 PM

ROFL

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Great one-liner.

Coach
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM

Unfortunately, mine was as well. It was very disappointing, as it just seems like he doesn't give two shits about what's going on around him, but he does give 2 shits about what he's doing in terms of projects, work, the damn dog of his, etc.

It's like, one time, I'm 18, and we live at least a block away from a gas station. I just can't explain it, but it just that whenever he needs gas for his truck, he either sends me or my mother to get gas for his piece of shit truck. I don't know what his problem is, afraid to pump gas in his truck? What the hell, the nozzle isn't gonna bite your hand.

It's also a shame that he's not very good financially, meaning manging his money. Hell, there's plenty to share more about, but I digress.

keg in kc
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
This poll depresses me.Yeah. I'm on the fail-boat on most answers.

Chiefaholic
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Have you stood between the two of them at the urinals in a public restroom too?

Skip Towne
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

You forgot modest.

RJ
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
My dad died last month.

Many hundreds of people came to the funeral home and the funeral. They came out of respect, love, friendship and admiration. No one mentioned anything about money or looks or business accomplishments.

That's a tough act to follow, I'd better hurry up.

Rain Man
01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
My dad died last month.

Many hundreds of people came to the funeral home and the funeral. They came out of respect, love, friendship and admiration. No one mentioned anything about money or looks or business accomplishments.

That's a tough act to follow, I'd better hurry up.

Y'know, once I made the poll I realized that I forgot "had more friends" as a comparison. I would've remembered if I had more friends.

Sorry about your dad.

Rain Man
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
So far, it appears that the typical father worked harder for less money, had more kids and who were slightly better behaved, and was in better health/physical condition (even if not quite as attractive). We, on the other hand, benefit from higher education levels and native smarts, are more ambitious, make more money with better career prospects, are happier with our lives and our marriages, and have better future prospects.

The health one is particularly intriguing to me, because I kind of figured it would break toward our fathers in light of all the fast food and weight issues we discuss.

My own father would have done great if he had been born in 1920 instead of 1940. He's a really hard-working, ambitious guy who is/was more handsome than me and more personable. He kind of got screwed by life, though, because he was from a really rural family where it was a big accomplishment for him to get a high school diploma, and college was out of the question. (I don't think either of his parents got past the third grade.) Up to about age 35, he was doing really well in terms of career and finances and stuff relative to his starting place in life, not rich, but we were solid middle class. Unfortunately, society kind of blew past him in about the late 1970s in terms of technology and stuff, and he fell behind and has never caught up, and it's been kind of painful to see him always work harder and harder but never gain traction. He is starting to use e-mail now, though, and is still married to my mom even though the two of them got married at 18 and 16.

Jilly
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
This is hard. I have the best momma in the world. Seriously, she is amazing. I can never come close to how amazing she is...but it sure has given me something to live by and hold onto.

The Franchise
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
My Dad was in the Air Force for 23 years. He gave up a tryout for the Red Sox to go to Vietnam. He was a First Sgt., an SP and worked on missles during that 23 years. He made sure that my brother and I had whatever we needed but he also made sure that we grew up to respect others and not be fuck ups. He always made sure that his family was taken care of and after he retired from the AF....he went out and got 2 jobs to make sure that we were taken care of. He's 63 and he still works to this day....to make sure that his Grandkids are taken care of. My Dad is honestly the greatest guy I've ever known and I'd be ecstatic if I grew up to be half the man he was.

Saulbadguy
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Dad had kids at 33 so no measurables there. We look similar and are in similar health, I think. Intelligence/ambition/brighter future is a bit hard to measure.

Dad had a masters degree at my age, but was making less $$$ even adjusted for inflation. As a matter of fact I am making about the same as my dad did when he retired. We are in the same pay range but he is a higher step than I am because he was there for 20+ years.

MagicHef
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
When I think about it, my dad and I are very similar in a lot of ways. Really the only difference is that the job market in his field was very bad when he came out of college, it was a lot better for me.

raybec 4
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
When my dad was my age he was just emerging from 9 years in Marion Federal Correctional Facility for kidnapping. He continued to do the things that lead up to his imprisonment for many years after, I have never even been convicted of a crime.

Demonpenz
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
My dad is pretty much a bad ass, everyone talks about how they were let down by their dad once they found out he wasn't superman and he was human, my dad was hard ass on me when I did bad, let me play sports, I had a couple large parties in highschool he kicked my ass all over the place for that, then laughed later on when he saw the amount of hot girls that were there. He plays guitar, loves rock, how many dads would give an honest listen to eminem and name all members of grand funk rail road. How do I stack up? Not even close for home repair, raising kids, cars, etc. I am better at computers sports and some other random shit, but I am still making mistakes and have to ask my dad about shit for awhile. He also installed an impressive amount of guilt if I buy something over 20 dollars. So you never see me buy some crazy shit. Although he is actually the one that bought crazy shit. He has always had a nice boat truck and bowling ball. My dad also rupsured his achelles tendon when he was running away from a bee's nest he wacked with a weed wacker. So that makes him tougher, but I get some props for saving his life because i found him passed out with bees all over him.

Rain Man
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
When my dad was my age he was just emerging from 9 years in Marion Federal Correctional Facility for kidnapping. He continued to do the things that lead up to his imprisonment for many years after, I have never even been convicted of a crime.

So if you make more than 47 cents an hour, you've got him beat on the money question.

Demonpenz
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
anyone want to share stories from a spiritual aspect? How is religion different from your fathers?

raybec 4
01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
So if you make more than 47 cents an hour, you've got him beat on the money question.

No, not really, the events and the work that preceeded him going to prison were very lucrative although very ill-legal. He always had spending money and anything under 10 grand got paid for in cash. Anything over 10 grand was bought in someone else's name. When he went to the can I went to the state of Mo. I never lived with him after, but I do know he always had very nice stuff and a lot of cash to throw around.

Jilly
01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
anyone want to share stories from a spiritual aspect? How is religion different from your fathers?

Mine isn't that much different, I'm radically more liberal and passionate....but if it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have faith. They've shown me the face of Christ time and time again. And prodigal son? Yeah, they definitely know the message of unconditional love. Again, I wish I could live like they do...but it's something I strive for on a daily basis.