PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Haley thinking about Super Bowl, not speculation concerning Chiefs’ job

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Haley thinking about Super Bowl, not speculation concerning Chiefs’ job (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1004720.html)
By RANDY COVITZ | THE KANSAS CITY STAR

TAMPA, Fla. | The situation was clearly awkward for Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

With the biggest game of his life five days away, the timing couldn’t be worse for Haley to address the head coaching vacancy with the Chiefs.

Sitting in the searing heat Tuesday morning at Raymond James Stadium during Super Bowl media day, Haley acknowledged his history with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and wished him well.

Though Haley, who turns 42 next month, never envisioned this opportunity would arise so soon, he conceded the chance to coach in Kansas City might be too difficult to pass up.

“I don’t know if you can say everybody wants to be a head coach,” said Haley, who began his career in the New York Jets’ personnel department. “I didn’t get in this business to be a head coach. As you move further along, and you move up the ladder, it’s something you start to think about.

“ ‘Could I do this job, could I not do this job?’ I have great confidence in my ability, and if the right situation presents itself, I think I’d like to show that.”

Haley is not oblivious to the fact Kansas City could be the right situation.

“That would make me feel good, but that’s pure speculation, and something I’m not thinking about, and that’s coming from my heart,” he said. “We worked too hard to get to this game, and I am truly excited and blessed that the Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl, which is a monumental thing.”

Haley, a college golfer and former golf coach at Jacksonville (Fla.) University, began his football career working with Pioli for three years in the New York Jets’ personnel department during 1995-98. Pioli moved on to New England with Bill Belichick in 2000, and Haley remained an admirer of their work as the Patriots won three Super Bowls during 2001-04 and went unbeaten in the 2007 regular season.

“Scott is great at what he does,” Haley said. “What he and coach Belichick have done in New England is awesome. They have the blueprint on how to work together to succeed, so I’m really happy for Scott. He’s been an anonymous, low-key guy who has done a great job in New England … he has a great opportunity, and I’d like to see him succeed.”

•••

Two men have had profound influences on Todd Haley’s career. One is his father, Dick, a former Pittsburgh cornerback who served as the Steelers’ director of player personnel during 1971-90 and helped build the four-time Super Bowl champions of the ’70s.

The other is Bill Parcells, for whom he worked with the Jets in the late 1990s and at Dallas during 2004-06. Parcells is Pioli’s father-in-law, and as executive vice-president/football for the Miami Dolphins, oversees Dick Haley, now a personnel man in the Dolphins’ front office.

Todd Haley spent his summers at the Steelers’ training camp and his Sundays at Three Rivers Stadium as a ball boy, towel boy and whatever was needed.

“Just to be around the Bradshaws and Lamberts and Swanns on a daily basis,” Haley reflected, “I was just a kid enjoying the ride, and I thought Super Bowls came around every year. I have such a great appreciation for where I am now because it’s been 30 years since my father’s last Super Bowl, and he’s worked hard for many, many years.”

Young Todd Haley traveled with his dad to the Senior Bowl and Hula Bowl and watched how Dick Haley evaluated talent and assembled the Pittsburgh teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s.

That’s what makes coaching against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday night so special to Haley.

“I had a chance to work for coach (Bill) Cowher four or five years ago,” Haley said, “but chose to go back with coach Parcells in Dallas and proceeded to watch the Steelers blow it up, going 15-1 (in 2004) and when they went to the Super Bowl (in 2005), they started showing all the old highlights.

“I’d watch the years when I was growing up, and you get teary-eyed about it. I thought, ‘I could have been there,’ but it’s all worked out, and the fact it is the Steelers this week is just unbelievable. So many of my close friends are back in Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans and are at the tailgates every week.”

Haley’s father moved on to the Jets’ personnel department in 1991, where Todd began learning the family business. But the coaching bug bit, and he took a substantial pay cut and became an entry-level Jets receivers coach for Parcells in 1999. That was followed by a stint with the Chicago Bears during 2001-03 before he joined Parcells’ staff for 2004-06.

“Parcells’ impact was big,” Haley said. “It’s no accident that he’s had success everywhere he goes. I’m so grateful to have been able to spend seven, eight years around him to soak in as much as you can. He’s a master motivator, and whatever he would be doing, he would be highly successful, whether it be football or business.”

In fact, some of Haley’s sideline demeanor, caught on camera in heated discussions with Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and wide receiver Anquan Boldin during the NFC championship game, resembles a young Parcells.

“It’s my personality,” said Haley, who joined the Cardinals as coordinator in 2007. “I’m more to the confrontational side. I can’t hold things in. It’s something you’ve got to balance as a coach all the time. You can’t do whatever you want and say whatever you want. You have to keep some semblance of control. I try to use it to my advantage as best I can, and the guys know how I am and how I go about it, so it’s not a surprise to anybody.”

Having coached divas such as Terrell Owens and Keyshawn Johnson as well as Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald has prepared Haley for anything.

“I’m grateful I coached receivers as long as I did,” Haley said. “They’re a unique group generally, a little high-profile for the most part. If you can handle that group, and over time I have proven to have pretty successful groups, it (says) a lot about my development as a coach.”

•••

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt says Haley is ready to become a head coach. So do others, such as Warner and Fitzgerald.

Haley would be following Whisenhunt’s path. Whisenhunt went from offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh to head coach in Arizona, where in two years he has led the longtime laughingstock of the NFL into the Super Bowl. Haley has been part of that, running the NFL’s fourth-ranked offense.

“With the success a lot of young coaches have had in the league right now, there’s not any question,” Whisenhunt said of Haley’s readiness for the job. “Todd’s done a great job as a play-caller and coordinator, and a lot of those things he has learned in that role are the very same things I learned in my role at Pittsburgh.

“A lot of the things we’ve done and have had success with will serve Todd very well in the future.”

Warner, about to play in his third Super Bowl, said Haley brought “a competitiveness that maybe we didn’t have to that degree before. He brought an accountability to our offense, no matter who you are or what you’ve accomplished. He’s put the players in the best positions to win. That’s a huge part of success for a coach.”

Fitzgerald, the dominant offensive star of the NFL playoffs this season, said Haley pushed him harder than any coach he’s had.

“No matter what you do, it’s never good enough,” Fitzgerald said. “That’s not because he’s being hard on you, it’s because he wants you to be the best. He told me when he first got here, he wanted me to be the best receiver in the NFL, and he’s going to push me and drive me to that point. He’s still pushing to get the best out of me, and I’m willing to keep working for it because that’s what I want as well.”

Haley said he has avoided talking about the Kansas City situation with his players.

“To me, it’s about the game,” Haley said. “I’ve been preaching to these players every day about staying in your routine, doing the things that got us here. I have to follow that, too. So I’ve really blocked everything out.

“This is what I’ve sacrificed my life for and sacrificed so much time with my wife and five kids to get to this game. It’s a lifelong dream, and I’m enjoying and getting the most out of every minute.”

@ Go to KansasCity.com - to find updates on the Red Zone blog and sound off in our Chiefs forum.

KCrockaholic
01-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Sounds like our new coach to me.

Ebolapox
01-28-2009, 01:06 AM
at this point, anybody other than haley would shock me.

KCrockaholic
01-28-2009, 01:08 AM
The guy is destined for success, whether that starts now with us, or 3 years from now with someone else, he has it coming.

DaWolf
01-28-2009, 01:22 AM
He sure as hell isn't denying it. Print it, Haley's the new guy...

KCrockaholic
01-28-2009, 01:30 AM
alright, lets begin the DC search

keg in kc
01-28-2009, 01:33 AM
A lot of smoke it looks like. Could be fire.

jlscorpio
01-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I like him. fresh blood, not a retread. Seems to have the fire.

Boris The Great
01-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Why is the Star even bothering with this Haley coverage? Dont they know Nicky Athan says there is nothing to it and he wont be the next coach?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-28-2009, 02:35 AM
This has convinced me.

Haley will be our new coach by this time next week.

RealSNR
01-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Finally, a story.

Haley played it smart. I really hope, though, that his heart and mind is on the game this weekend and not what's going to happen afterward.

Chief77
01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Talk about being groomed by two good mentors. His dad working personal for the Steelers for 20 years, and his obvious respect and admiration for Parcells. This guy seems like he has everything we are looking for in a coach. Just hope he can control his temper a little better. However, it would do guys like Bowe, Pollard, Page, Charles some good to know that they better not continue to make the same stupid mistakes or their going to get their a$$es chewed out big time. Welcome to KC Todd!

the Talking Can
01-28-2009, 07:36 AM
i have no idea what pioli is thinking, but Haley is clearly thinking about the KC job...

RealSNR
01-28-2009, 07:43 AM
i have no idea what pioli is thinking, but Haley is clearly thinking about the KC job...Nah. He probably wants to go to the Raiders to work alongside Al Davis

InChiefsHeaven
01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
I would really like this pick for a HC. He's a year younger than Pioli and Hunt...that's friggin amazing. Talk about clearing out the old faht's ways of thinking.

Look out Chiefs fans, I think we're in for a helluva ride!

Red Dawg
01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
It's gotta be him. " he conceded the chance to coach in Kansas City might be too difficult to pass up."

That sounds like a yes if offered the job.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
cross your fingers ... lets hope he can do it

as far as i can tell, he hasn't really proven anything

Molitoth
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Haley,

Please bring Fitz and Bolden with you.

Thanks!

The Bad Guy
01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm a big fan of his.

Hey Claythan, when is Shanahan coming? When is yours and Nick's stone cold lock coming?

When Hailey comes, the whole board can laugh at your expense - again.

rambleonthruthefog
01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
sounds like a good fit to me. if pioli signs off on the guy, i'm 100% in.

milkman
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Haley,

Please bring Fitz and Bolden with you.

Thanks!

Fitz isn't going anywhere, and I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday that he's told the Cards he's willing to renegotiate his contract so the they can get Boldin a new contract.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm a big fan of his.

Hey Claythan, when is Shanahan coming? When is yours and Nick's stone cold lock coming?

i'm not trying to pick a fight ... just discuss

but why are you a fan of his?

seriously, the guy has barely proven he can be a solid offensive coordinator. If he didn't hang around Bill Parcells half his life would anyone give him a second glance?

MahiMike
01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
95% certain after reading this. Wonder who his coordinators are.

JimNasium
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm a big fan of his.

I wonder how long that crappy publication will last now that all of their sources have dried up....not that they had much as far as credible sources to begin with.

milkman
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
95% certain after reading this. Wonder who his coordinators are.

If it is Haley, I'm betting he and Pioli make a strong push for Todd Bowles at DC.

I think they are going to stick with Chan Gailey, at least for the '09 season.

TRR
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
If it is Haley, I'm betting he and Pioli make a strong push for Todd Bowles at DC.

Gailey is a very good offensive coordinator IMO. And the reason I say this is because of his ability to fit his offense around his players. I don't think Gailey would have any trouble meshing with Haley or Pioli, and it would be nice to have some head coaching experience on the staff.

If Haley is indeed hired, I think that keeping Chan Gailey is key. (Especially to show some loyalty to a player like Tony Gonzalez).

the Talking Can
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM

plausible...you have to think they've told Gailey something...and if it is Haley they've already had discussions....

bsp4444
01-28-2009, 10:31 AM

I must admit that I wasn't sure who Bowles was, but after reading about him interviewing with Detroit for the Head Coaching job, I liked what I saw. Looks like he would try to get a 3-4 defense installed as quickly as personnel would allow.

OnTheWarpath15
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Yay.

More fade patterns in goal-to-go situations, and running the ball 5 times in the second half.

Thrilling.

milkman
01-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Yay.

More fade patterns in goal-to-go situations, and running the ball 5 times in the second half.

Thrilling.

I'm willing to give Gailey a pass on that since our O-Line sucked and he had a spread QB.

But my thinking was that he would be replaced in '10 if he doesn't improve in the red zone.

SAUTO
01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Yay.

Thrilling.

WHAT play would you call in a goal to go situation with the team we have?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I could see Haley calling his own plays and possibly being the OC as well.

Which means good bye to Gailey thankfully.

HemiEd
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM

That sounds like a good and logical move to me.

King_Chief_Fan
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Just saw on ESPN that Oakland is sending feelers to Haley to see if he has intersest in interviewing for the head coach of Raiders.

DeezNutz
01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Is there any reason why Haley and Gailey would be a good match? Have these two crossed paths in the past, for example?

I'm sick and fucking tired of having HC's inherit coordinators. How many times do we need to go through this to see that it's very difficult for this to work? Possible, but very difficult.

R&GHomer
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Just saw on ESPN that Oakland is sending feelers to Haley to see if he has intersest in interviewing for the head coach of Raiders.

That's laughable, who would want to work for Al "the douche bag" davis

King_Chief_Fan
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Is there any reason why Haley and Gailey would be a good match? Have these two crossed paths in the past, for example?

I'm sick and ****ing tired of having HC's inherit coordinators. How many times do we need to go through this to see that it's very difficult for this to work? Possible, but very difficult.

I think any coach they want will have the say about coordinators. Gailey is being hung on to just in case the new HC wants to keep him. He may also be the default guy to be head coach...I don't know,

talastan
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I think it is honestly down to Haley or Gailey. If Haley is given the HC job, then they'll give him the choice to retain Chan or not. I hope he does, but if not then I'll trust who he picks. I do agree Bowles would be an awesome DC option.

talastan
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
That's laughable, who would want to work for Al "the douche bag" davis

This

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm sick and ****ing tired of having HC's inherit coordinators. How many times do we need to go through this to see that it's very difficult for this to work? Possible, but very difficult.

I agree, but keep in mind that Haley runs a lot of spread looks, so there could be a pretty good pairing here if they do. I don't think it's night and day, like it was with Solari and Herm.

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I think the only wildcard here would be Bruce Arians. I am really hoping it's not him, as I know of many Steelers fans that aren't huge fans of him--they still think it was a mistake to run the spread offense as exclusively as they do, and although they made the Super Bowl, they say that it's only because the Steelers' defense is that much better.

I'd be happy with Haley. Other than Spags, I think he has the most upside. I was never big on Rex Ryan or Jim Schwartz, so I'm really glad we didn't lunge at the first hot head coach prospect to hit the market.

My top guy is still Holmgren, but I know he won't be coaching in 2009.

chiefscafan
01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Wow after reading this it seems like Haley is a done deal. While I was reading this I kept remembering how much Clark Hunt loves the steelers organization and who is one of the main men his dad. Who worked with him closely for three years pioli and lastly who is one of his mentors that would be parcells. Sure sounds like a done deal.

milkman
01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

I think the reason you'd see this paring is that the pickings will be slim for guys that either Pioli or Haley have any history with.

Gailey has been around the NFL for a lot of years and shown that he is flexible and can adapt, and Pioli has had the chnace to talk to him and get a feel for who he is.

Haley and Pioli might still want to look around, but they might find that Gailey is the best fit for at least the first year.

warrior
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Seen this to.

Time for screwing around is over HC's are getting scarce.

DeezNutz
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I think the reason you'd see this paring is that the pickings will be slim for guys that either Pioli or Haley have any history with.

Gailey has been around the NFL for a lot of years and shown that he is flexible and can adapt, and Pioli has had the chnace to talk to him and get a feel for who he is.

Haley and Pioli might still want to look around, but they might find that Gailey is the best fit for at least the first year.

This might very well be the case, and Gailey isn't Solari. Not even ****ing close.

Still, it smells.

But as long as I never have to hear about the ****ing pistol again (which also means not hearing about Thigpen as the QBOTF), I'd be more willing to give it another year.

Micjones
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Haley may want to bring Grimm & Pendergast along with him.

BigChiefFan
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow after reading this it seems like Haley is a done deal. While I was reading this I kept remembering how much he loves the steelers organization and who is one of the main men his dad. Who worked with him closely for three years pioli and lastly who is one of his mentors that would be parcells. Sure sounds like a done deal.

I got the same impression. He sounded like a man who had accepted the job, but just didn't want to be a distraction.

The Bad Guy
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
i'm not trying to pick a fight ... just discuss

but why are you a fan of his?

seriously, the guy has barely proven he can be a solid offensive coordinator. If he didn't hang around Bill Parcells half his life would anyone give him a second glance?

I'm a fan of his for 3 reasons:

1) He puts talent in the best position to be successful on offense. He's played up to Boldin, Warner and Fitzgerald's strengths.

2) He's no-nonsense. He's intense, he's not laid back. He's not Gunther Cunningham with his fake-fire BS. When a talent like Larry Fitzgerald says Haley has pushed him further than anyone in his career, that's great praise. He stood up to T.O. I'm fine with all that. I think pro athletes have a bigger than the game attitude anymore, and Haley can serve as a reality check.

3) He's been around great football minds. Parcells wanted to hire him in Miami, his Dad was apart of the Steelers teams that were unstoppable. I think that goes a long way.

Coordinator wise...

I'd love to see him hire Sean McDermott from the Eagles as his DC (although I think Brian Stewart will get consideration). Offensively, no way on Gailey. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him bring in someone like Mike Martz, but he's not my first choice.

The Bad Guy
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Haley may want to bring Grimm & Pendergast along with him.

Grimm is loyal to Wisenhut. He's staying in Arizona.

Pendergast is also staying. No way the Cardinals let him leave for a lateral move.

blueballs
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Sounds like Hailey would have followed Gailey and his '"slash" team
to lazy to check if dates match

chiefscafan
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure on coordinators but Bowles and pendegrast can't leave cause that's a latteral move. I still think crennel for d coordinator. Don't know about the guys with the eagles any info on the two deffensive coordinators who were mentioned?

blueballs
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Even though the Rat called plays
didn't he have a offense coordinator

milkman
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure on coordinators but Bowles and pendegrast can't leave cause that's a latteral move. I still think crennel for d coordinator. Don't know about the guys with the eagles any info on the two deffensive coordinators who were mentioned?

Paul Pasqualoni is the DC.

Bowles is the asst. HC/secondary.

I believe that naming him the asst. HC/DC would still be considered a promotion, though, to be honest, I can't be certain.

milkman
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Even though the Rat called plays
didn't he have a offense coordinator

Yes he did.

Gary Kubiak followed by Jeremy Bates, I believe.

chiefscafan
01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Wow didn't know that about Bowles that would be interesting any info on him?

milkman
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow didn't know that about Bowles that would be interesting any info on him?

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/coachingstaff/coachingstaff_Bowles_t.asp

Gdaddy
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
If Haley is to be the next HC for the Chiefs, which I believe is a strong possibility. Who do you think will be his assistants?
I like the idea of Crennel as DC, with obvious ties to Pioli.
What about OC? I wouldnt think he would keep Gailey since Haley and Gailey have different styles.
What do you all think?
Also--someone posted earlier about if Haley becomes HC they felt Crabtree would be our 3rd pick. I like Crabtree but he is a risky pick at 3. I feel that the OT from Alabama would be great to sure up the line. Too many opportunities for failure at pick 3. However we dont have Peterson there anymore to draft Siavi or Trezell Jenkins, we actually have a smart GM / Player Personell guy!

I also like trading NE our second round pick for Cassel. Strengthen the O line, straighten out LJ, grab a good wideout to compliment Bowe and Bradford and I like our offense. I like our secondary (although I think we need someone to challenge Pollard), D-Line and Linebackers via Free Agency...

milkman
01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
If Haley is to be the next HC for the Chiefs, which I believe is a strong possibility. Who do you think will be his assistants?
I like the idea of Crennel as DC, with obvious ties to Pioli.
What about OC? I wouldnt think he would keep Gailey since Haley and Gailey have different styles.
What do you all think?
Also--someone posted earlier about if Haley becomes HC they felt Crabtree would be our 3rd pick. I like Crabtree but he is a risky pick at 3. I feel that the OT from Alabama would be great to sure up the line. Too many opportunities for failure at pick 3. However we dont have Peterson there anymore to draft Siavi or Trezell Jenkins, we actually have a smart GM / Player Personell guy!

I also like trading NE our second round pick for Cassel. Strengthen the O line, straighten out LJ, grab a good wideout to compliment Bowe and Bradford and I like our offense. I like our secondary (although I think we need someone to challenge Pollard), D-Line and Linebackers via Free Agency...

:doh!:

Ebolapox
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
:doh!:

in a world that's full of turds... TURDS!

http://www.metapeeps.com/images/famous_images/Shelly_Marsh.jpg

CupidStunt
01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
"Ask me about this on Wednesday next week at my introductory press conference, you douchebags."

bowener
01-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow. Pretty rare that a guy comes right out and talks about the possibility of leaving the team after the Super Bowl, and that he would like to have that chance, meaning it hasnt been offered (officially) yet. If that is the case, I think that was a big nod in the direction of Pioli to come sniffing, but I would have to imagine that he already did all his homework on Haley years ago and continues to update it.

bowener
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM

LULZ!11!!

Let's see, executive of the year 3 times, or Al-fucking-Davis??? That seems like a tough decision... of course Al will over pay and then fire him next year.....

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Grimm is loyal to Wisenhut. He's staying in Arizona.

Pendergast is also staying. No way the Cardinals let him leave for a lateral move.

I've also heard several Steelers fans say they love Grimm, but he doesn't have a lot between the ears. It says a lot when an offensive line coach is promoted to offensive coordinator for neither the team that likes him a lot (Steelers) and the coach who he followed to a different city (Arizona).

Great coach. But any move he would have to make would probably be a lateral move, as I don't think anyone's knocking on the door for him to be promoted.

PhillyChiefFan
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I would love it if Haley became HC.

I am already the most excited I have been to be a Chiefs fan in YEAAARRRS and this would be the icing on the cake for the long starved fans.

A couple of good FA pick ups, Pioli, Haley, Bowles and Gailey has GM, HC, DC and OC combined with a good draft this year...ah...that would make my decade.

bowener
01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I think if we get Haley he will be the HC and acting OC. We may keep somebody on board like Gailey to help him organize information, or relay information, but I think Haley will hate the idea of giving up his play calling duties right away. I guess that could change though when he realizes he has a ton of work to do as HC, though.

blueballs
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Herm and Gunther are the two biggest HC failures in recent Chiefs history
and they seemed to share an interesting quality -other than lacking coacing prowess
and that is the need to run the show single handed

Talk was Gun didn't trust to delegate authority -I have to do it myself
and Herm tried to run the front office -Carl vs Herm rumors
This is my worry about Hailey and his sideline flareups

PhillyChiefFan
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Herm and Gunther are the two biggest HC failures in recent Chiefs history
and they seemed to share an interesting quality -other than lacking coacing prowess
and that is the need to run the show single handed

Talk was Gun didn't trust to delegate authority -I have to do it myself
and Herm tried to run the front office -Carl vs Herm rumors
This is my worry about Hailey and his sideline flareups

Yea I was kind of worried about his flareups, but maybe that would be a good thing too. Instead of coddling his players, like Herm basically did, he expects and demands more from them.

At least that is how I'm trying to see it, Bill Parcels flares up too at times. So maybe it would be a good thing? :shrug:

blueballs
01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Parcels strikes me as a control freak also
just a somewhat successful control freak

PhillyChiefFan
01-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Parcels strikes me as a control freak also
just a somewhat successful control freak

Yea, I would say he probably would be. But he sure as hell turned Miami around.

I am glad we have Pioli as the wheelman for the Chiefs though, he's young and bright. He has control over the org and I think he will prove to be a great GM.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I am SO on board with this.

This guy is a developer to the 100th-power. I know everybody here is well aware of Fitz by now, but having watched a ton of his earlier games prior to 2008, and even the 2008 preseason, he really IS a whole different beast.

Scott said the patience of Clark would be rewarded, and if we snag Haley we're that much closer to the overall vision.

FringeNC
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
At this point Haley has to be considered the favorite, because they are no other names being thrown around as much. But still, is Haley even 50/50 to be the guy?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
At this point Haley has to be considered the favorite, because they are no other names being thrown around as much. But still, is Haley even 50/50 to be the guy?

In terms of mulling it over and taking the job, I couldn't say.

In terms of would I feel confident in Haley? Yes. It's the player testimonials that are beginning to truly seal the deal for me personally.

That thing Haley's doing in terms of motivating his players and getting them to elevate their game is a story I've heard many times before. It's that balance between the "let me be your friend" coach like Herm, and the spewing volcano-trip that Krummy and Gun used to do.

Flowers went through it at VT. He
"thought Coach Beamer hated me my entire first year".
It's just a good timing and balancing act/skill that if executed properly can make outstanding players.

milkman
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM

It's gonna be Maurice Carthon.

SAUTO
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
its gonna be jimmy raye sr.

RustShack
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
He had Owens and Keyshawn in Dallas, Fitzgerald and Boldin in Arizonz, hes going to want Crabtree with Bowe here. Warner has said he will test the free agent market, he could love Haley that much and Haley could want Warner to start for a year or two to help him groom our QB of the future.

I want a QB with the first pick for the record, but I could see it playing out that way and I am in no way saying that is what I want.

booger
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Kirk Ferentz just has a few more recruits to tie up and he's all ours.

RustShack
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Kirk Ferentz just has a few more recruits to tie up and he's all ours.

Don't you ever say that.

RustShack
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
PFT had an article earlier saying Gruden needs to speak. It made me think, man what if the reason he isn't talking is because Pioli got to him first...

That would suck :(

booger
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
i'm just tryin to beat nick to the punch.

booger
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Frazier in the mix?
January 27th, 2009 – 2:39 PM by Judd Zulgad
Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has been mentioned in various reports as being a potential candidate for the Kansas City Chiefs head coaching job. However, at this point the Chiefs are not believed to have made contact with Frazier, who was a candidate for since-filled head coaching positions in Denver, Detroit and St. Louis this offseason. There are many who think the Chiefs are interested in hiring Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley, whose team will face Pittsburgh on Sunday in the Super Bowl.
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2446

booger
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
just a shot in the dark

Haley
Carthon
LB Coach Bill Davis ( major longshot, but maybe for DC ) All from the Cards.

Pepper Johnson DL coach Pats
Romeo Crennel, Though rumors were before he was fired that he may just retire because of a hip replacment that is needed. When Mangina came aboard he seemed open to staying in some role. I could see DC or ASST. HC/Dline coach if we go with a first timer as well if he doesn't want a DC job.

Todd Bowles asst. hc/db's Phins

Jeff Davidson OC Panthers

I'm still hoping we take a long look at Ron Rivera

Mr. Laz
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm a fan of his for 3 reasons:

1) He puts talent in the best position to be successful on offense. He's played up to Boldin, Warner and Fitzgerald's strengths.

2) He's no-nonsense. He's intense, he's not laid back. He's not Gunther Cunningham with his fake-fire BS. When a talent like Larry Fitzgerald says Haley has pushed him further than anyone in his career, that's great praise. He stood up to T.O. I'm fine with all that. I think pro athletes have a bigger than the game attitude anymore, and Haley can serve as a reality check.

3) He's been around great football minds. Parcells wanted to hire him in Miami, his Dad was apart of the Steelers teams that were unstoppable. I think that goes a long way.

Coordinator wise...

I'd love to see him hire Sean McDermott from the Eagles as his DC (although I think Brian Stewart will get consideration). Offensively, no way on Gailey. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him bring in someone like Mike Martz, but he's not my first choice.
fair enough i guess

he's intense and has been around good football people

but seems like to me making a good offense out of Warner,Fitz,Bolding,James,Hightower and a passable offense line should be mandatory for a decent offense coordinator not a "plus" :shrug:

i got nothing against Haley but just don't have much FOR him either.

i just dunno

blueballs
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I have serious doubts if Chucky gets another HC job
more and more players say they don't care for the SOB

NFL | S. Rice has strong opinions about Gruden
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:43:06 -0800

Pat Yasinskas, of ESPN.com, reports former Tampa Bay Buccaneers DT Simeon Rice said during a radio interview that former Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden deserved to be fired because of the way he treated the players. Rice mentioned how badly Gruden treated former Buccaneers QBs Chris Simms and Brad Johnson and WRs Keenan McCardell, Keyshawn Johnson and Joey Galloway during his tenure. Rice continued to comment negatively about Gruden even going so far as to call him a scumbag. "How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think he's a scumbag. I think he's a scumbag personally. That's when he's telling you one thing and ... You know what he told me? 'Simeon you'll be here in the next five years.' I got injured [and] this man's never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing," Rice said.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
btw why would Haley keep Chan Gailey around anyway?

a young veteran offensive head coach with a veteran,veteran offensive coordinator who is not gonna want Haley to call the plays or anything.

i would think he would pick a young offensive coordinator and they would both run the offense together and then go pick a really veteran defensive coordinator who could handle the defense more or less on his own for the first year until Haley gets settled.

RustShack
01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I have serious doubts if Chucky gets another HC job
more and more players don't care for the SOB

NFL | S. Rice has strong opinions about Gruden
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:43:06 -0800

Pat Yasinskas, of ESPN.com, reports former Tampa Bay Buccaneers DT Simeon Rice said during a radio interview that former Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden deserved to be fired because of the way he treated the players. Rice mentioned how badly Gruden treated former Buccaneers QBs Chris Simms and Brad Johnson and WRs Keenan McCardell, Keyshawn Johnson and Joey Galloway during his tenure. Rice continued to comment negatively about Gruden even going so far as to call him a scumbag. "How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think he's a scumbag. I think he's a scumbag personally. That's when he's telling you one thing and ... You know what he told me? 'Simeon you'll be here in the next five years.' I got injured [and] this man's never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing," Rice said.

Warren Sapp said he is excellent at some things and not so good at others. He also said they wouldn't have won the Super Bowl if it weren't for him. Also said if he goes to the right situation he could succeed again. Sapp seems to think Gruden is a good coach.

blueballs
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
He knew what the Raiders were going to do before they did
the thought of Chucky dolls in KC make want to vomit

Taco John
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE

booger
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Chucky will sit on his ass until Weiss gets fired and get his dream job at ND. With the way players seem to get sick of him maybe the college route i the way to go.

Mecca
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Someone needs to find the video of when Bill Parcells punched Todd Haley.

booger
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE

Nick new 8 days ago but couldn't tell nobody.

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Nick new 8 days ago but couldn't tell nobody.

It will be interesting how far WPI bullshits on their sources since Pioli keeps business mafia silent.

SAUTO
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
It will be interesting how far WPI bullshits on their sources since Pioli keeps business mafia silent.

i'm betting that they "know" they just cant sayROFL but when it is announced they will scream they knew all along

JuicesFlowing
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
btw why would Haley keep Chan Gailey around anyway?

a young veteran offensive head coach with a veteran,veteran offensive coordinator who is not gonna want Haley to call the plays or anything.

i would think he would pick a young offensive coordinator and they would both run the offense together and then go pick a really veteran defensive coordinator who could handle the defense more or less on his own for the first year until Haley gets settled.

I have no idea why Gailey has been kept by the Chiefs so far. Makes for some good theories though. Like you said, not sure Haley fits in with Gailey.

booger
01-28-2009, 05:42 PM

the whole KC media will go to congress for a bailout soon.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE

Congratulations! I'm sure you and Shanny will make a fine man-couple!:D

Chucky will sit on his ass until Weiss gets fired and get his dream job at ND. With the way players seem to get sick of him maybe the college route i the way to go.

Yep, he wants the ND gig.

SAUTO
01-28-2009, 07:32 PM
!:D

Yep, he wants the ND gig.

I sure hope he's not the one for us:mad:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I sure hope he's not the one for us:mad:

His reputation is shit now; he's the LAST guy Pioli would hire to develop young talent.

Rest easy like Alzheimer's Davis crapping his Depends during "nappy-time" on a warm summer's day...:D

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Finally, a story.

Haley played it smart. I really hope, though, that his heart and mind is on the game this weekend and not what's going to happen afterward.

I don't think he played it smart at all. I think playing it smart would be refusing to even talk about the possibility of going anywhere while you're getting a game plan ready for the super bowl. I don't know why he would even answer the question. Say "I'm the OC of the Arizona Cardinals and we're getting ready for a game this Sunday. That's all I'm doing. Next question." I don't think he's doing any positive service to himself or his team by even taking any time to answer the question.

Plus... here's something to think about. I think Pioli wants guys who fully focus on the task at hand and don't feed media frenzys. He's a no talk, get the job done guy. I wonder if he would even want a guy that talks about another job while he's suppossed to be getting ready for a super bowl. I can see Scott looking at Haley's response as a possible indicator that Haley's not his kind of guy.

Nightfyre
01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think he played it smart at all. I think playing it smart would be refusing to even talk about the possibility of going anywhere while you're getting a game plan ready for the super bowl. I don't know why he would even answer the question. Say "I'm the OC of the Arizona Cardinals and we're getting ready for a game this Sunday. That's all I'm doing. Next question." I don't think he's doing any positive service to himself or his team by even taking any time to answer the question.

Plus... here's something to think about. I think Pioli wants guys who fully focus on the task at hand and don't feed media frenzys. He's a no talk, get the job done guy. I wonder if he would even want a guy that talks about another job while he's suppossed to be getting ready for a super bowl. I can see Scott looking at Haley's response as a possible indicator that Haley's not his kind of guy.

I doubt he'd be that overanalytical about a guy he has known personally for a decade. Just saying.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I doubt he'd be that overanalytical about a guy he has known personally for a decade. Just saying.

You're probably right... but Pioli just strikes me as a no-nonsense business type who will expect the same from his staff. Haley playing into the story at all just doesn't strike me as an attribute Pioli would like. Their prior relationship may be more important though.