PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Russ Grimm would be a better coach than Todd Haley

Titty Meat
01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Whats your opinon of Russ Grimm?

He played in 4 super bowls as a player winning 3 of them with Joe Gibbs for the Coach.

He was an assistant coach for Bill Cowher & Ken Whisenhunt so he would bring that Pittsburgh toughness not to mention he's been to 2 super bowls as assitant coach. Also was a candidate for the Pittsburgh job when Cowher retired.

FloridaMan88
01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Maybe it isn't a fair comparison, but Grimm reminds me of Mike Solari in terms of maybe not having the... shall we say... "mental capacity" to be a head coach (or even an offensive coordinator).

I think the Peter Principal is very much in play with guys like Grimm and Solari.

DaWolf
01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm gonna take a pass. I admit I am biased against position coaches, especially long time line coaches, becoming head coaches. There's probably a reason they've been a position coach for so long...

eazyb81
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
All that matters is who would work best with Pioli.

TEX
01-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe it isn't a fair comparison, but Grimm reminds me of Mike Solari in terms of maybe not having the... shall we say... "mental capacity" to be a head coach (or even an offensive coordinator).

I think the Peter Principal is very much in play with guys like Grimm and Solari.

Agreed. IMO Grimm is doing now exactly what he is cut out to do.

donkhater
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm not so sure that's afair assessment. The two jobs require different skills to some extent.

I could easily see a scenario where a so-so position coach could be a top head coach and vice-versa.

The position coach is more of a teacher and strategist and one-on-one mentor where as the head coach sets the tone, mood, work-ethic and tempo for the whole team. Very much a leadership position tht doesn't have much to do with X's and O's.

There are plenty of good group leaders in my company that weren't the top scientists, but they manage people and think of the big picture quite well. They set direction for the group.

On the other hand there are top notch scientists I wouldn't want anywhere near a company or group strategy session.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Pass.

King_Chief_Fan
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Isn't this like saying Elway would be a good head coach?

EyePod
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM

He's an offensive line coach. That's it. I don't want him as our HC.

DrRyan
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I could not agree less. I get the feeling that he would move well from being a position coach(he is also the Asst. HC in AZ currently) to the HC. He was a candidate for the Steelers job and got passed over. The same situation as Wisenhunt for that Steelers job. I really can't see Haley being a superior option to Grimm.

Brock
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Grimm has been passed over enough to the point that it's hard to see him as a serious candidate.

Chief Chief
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I know for sure someone special we all know would love having Russ Grimm on the sidelines at Arrowhead so then that person would be able to feel more comfortable there wearing his usual attire of a flowery dress and wig while inhaling on some guy's long and thick stogie. Now ain't that right, Claythan???

blueballs
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a really bad fairy tale

King_Chief_Fan
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
He are going to get Shanahan....aren't we Clayton?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a really bad fairy tale

ROFL Rep!

chiefzilla1501
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I could not agree less. I get the feeling that he would move well from being a position coach(he is also the Asst. HC in AZ currently) to the HC. He was a candidate for the Steelers job and got passed over. The same situation as Wisenhunt for that Steelers job. I really can't see Haley being a superior option to Grimm.

I've mentioned this a few times, but talk to any diehard Steelers fan and they will tell you that he doesn't have enough between the ears. Real good coach, but not a great thinking coach.

It says a lot that in spite of his incredible track record, he has been an o-line coach his entire life. You would think there would be people dying to pluck off the Cowher or Whisenhunt tree.

crazycoffey
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Grimm has been passed over enough to the point that it's hard to see him as a serious candidate.

this is a better arguement than the "I don't want him because he was an OL coach".....

but this also begs the question, "why?"
-was it because the others were just a touch better, or alot better?

Brock
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
this is a better arguement than the "I don't want him because he was an OL coach".....

but this also begs the question, "why?"
-was it because the others were just a touch better, or alot better?

Don't ask me, I'm deferring to whatever Pioli wants to do.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't ask me, I'm deferring to whatever Pioli wants to do.

No! I am against, and I will bring it up at the next stockholders meeting!

Oh wait....:sulk::D

Titty Meat
01-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Isn't this like saying Elway would be a good head coach?

How the hell is that like saying Elway would be a good head coach? Was Elway a coach that made the super bowl on two different teams?

ChiefsFanatic
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Whats your opinon of Russ Grimm?

He played in 4 super bowls as a player winning 3 of them with Joe Gibbs for the Coach.

He was an assistant coach for Bill Cowher & Ken Whisenhunt so he would bring that Pittsburgh toughness not to mention he's been to 2 super bowls as assitant coach. Also was a candidate for the Pittsburgh job when Cowher retired.

I don't even think he can coach the effing D-line, and the sooner he is no longer on this staff, the better.

Extra Point
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
If we could pry him out of AZ to be our line coach, that would be great!

Mecca
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Remember Joe Bugle? There you go.