PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Burnt Ends - Love 'em or hate 'em?

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
So... what say you, Planeteers? What is your take on the smoky, chewy little bits of barbecued manna from heaven?

Hammock Parties
01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I've actually never had one. I'm a BBQ n00b.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Pork is my favorite by far but I like burnt ends every once in a while

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh, hell. Could a mod please add a "WTF is a burnt end?" option?

Buck
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Is that when you knowingly have sex w/ a girl that has gonorrhea w/out any protection?

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I've actually never had one. I'm a BBQ n00b.

You can tell by my thread header how I feel. I've gone to great lengths to make massive amounts of burnt ends. Absolutely love them. If burnt ends were the only BBQ I could have for the rest of my life, I'd be good with it.

dirk digler
Is that when you knowingly have sex w/ a girl that has gonorrhea w/out any protection?

LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
Thanks to the mod that added the WTF option! Who did it, and I'll give you some rep.

Donger
I like them, just not when they are burnt.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I like them, just not when they are burnt.

What?

MTG#10
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
The most delicious thing ever to enter my mouth.

Time's Yours
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I love them. There is one BBQ restaurant here in Bloomington, IN, and it sucks. I eat burnt ends almost every day when I'm back in KC for holidays.

CoMoChief
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Overrated IMO. Ill eat them though.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I love them. There is one BBQ restaurant here in Bloomington, IN, and it sucks. I eat burnt ends almost every day when I'm back in KC for holidays.

And do you spend the next four days on the shitter?

stumppy
01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Love em.

One of my favorites is a nice garden salad, shredded parmesean, burnt ends and poppy seed or creamy italian dressing.

Buck
01-30-2009, 01:09 PM
OK WTF IS A BURNT END PLEASE

Molitoth
01-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Smokehouse BBQ Burnt ends!

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Burnt ends are the pieces of the point (the fatty part of a whole brisket) that have become a little tough, and generally over-smoked. They are VERY powerfully flavored, and typically you either love them or hate them.

Smokers will trim the burnt ends off, chop them up, and cover them with sauce. Put the pile of smoky goodness on a bun and eat with delight.

Oftentimes, cooks will not offer them up for sale... kind of the cook's delight/treat.

StcChief
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
occasionally. give me pulled pork, ribs

Mark M
01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
As long as they're from LCs here in KC, oh hell yes ...

MM
~~:drool:

Mark M
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Eric Hicks ... ?

MM
~~:spock:

King_Chief_Fan
01-30-2009, 01:59 PM
LMAOEric Hicks ... ?

MM
~~:spock:

DJ's left nut
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Smoked pork ribs - FTW

But Burnt Ends have their place. Quite tasty, but not the best.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I see that Basileus777 is a fucking idiot.

soopamanluva
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Love me some burnt ends. That's my order evertime I go to Gates.

Baby Lee
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

The best burnt ends are crispy, but not chewy. You know how in good crispy bacon, the fat is rendered, so that it's a crispy shell of cell walls with the interior liquid released [bacon grease] and it can be ground to dust between your thumb and finger. Burnt ends undergo the same process, except while it's releasing the liquid fat, the cell walls soak up smoke so it's crispy and intensely smoky.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
The best burnt ends are crispy, but not chewy. You know how in good crispy bacon, the fat is rendered, so that it's a crispy shell of cell walls with the interior liquid released [bacon grease] and it can be ground to dust between your thumb and finger. Burnt ends undergo the same process, except while it's releasing the liquid fat, the cell walls soak up smoke so it's crispy and intensely smoky.

I'd disagree with you. With the physics of cooking, the length of time that they smoke, they get dried, and should be almost jerky like. Some will be crispy, but most aren't. Yes, the fat renders out, but they don't cook hot enough to become crispy as a whole, at least not in my experience.

I've never had them like crispy bacon. And FWIW, About.com (http://bbq.about.com/od/briske1/a/aa081702a.htm) agrees (not to imply that About.com knows much about BBQ).

Hammock Parties
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.roadfood.com/photos/9153.jpg

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I'd disagree with you. With the physics of cooking, the length of time that they smoke, they get dried, and should be almost jerky like. Some will be crispy, but most aren't. Yes, the fat renders out, but they don't cook hot enough to become crispy as a whole, at least not in my experience.

I've never had them like crispy bacon. And FWIW, About.com (http://bbq.about.com/od/briske1/a/aa081702a.htm) agrees (not to imply that About.com knows much about BBQ).

I am of your opinion. Crispy seems way wrong.

Buck
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I see that Basileus777 is a ****ing idiot.

What?

He hasn't even posted in this thread.

Is this because he likes the New Jersey Nets?

Edit: Oh I See now

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
What?

He hasn't even posted in this thread.

Is this because he likes the New Jersey Nets?

Public poll. He voted Do Not Want.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.roadfood.com/photos/9153.jpg
Those look like Snead's "brownies." Mmmmmmm.

kysirsoze
01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I could eat em every day. That is if I lived in KC still instead of LA. BTW anyone know a great BBQ place in North LA? There are a couple that bill themselves as KC BBQ. Trust me... they are not.

Baby Lee
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM

I did qualify with 'best,' and yes to the extent that the end is composed of meat and not fat you get the jerky/chewy component. But again, that's not the part I really like. That's why they use the fattiest part of the brisket.
And really, the meat doesn't soak up any more smoke, due to it's density, than regular smoked meat, so instead of smokier ends you just get chewier meat. The good stuff is where the fat renders out and it's a smoky shell. Another analogy, besides bacon, is the structural changes that happen to pork rinds, though no end would survive getting THAT crispy.

Sneads was really good at that shit back in the day.

http://buckymcoinkumsbbq.com/wordpress/2007/09/04/making-burnt-ends/
It's a flash setting, rather than raw jpegs, so I can't directly post, but compare pre-rendered ends [7] to rendered ends [8]. The crispy part is the blackened end.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I did qualify with 'best,' and yes to the extent that the end is composed of meat and not fat you get the jerky/chewy component. But again, that's not the part I really like. And really, the meat doesn't soak up any more smoke, due to it's density, than regular smoked meat, so instead of smokier ends you just get chewier meat. The good stuff is where the fat renders out and it's a smoky shell. Another analogy, besides bacon, is the structural changes that happen to pork rinds, though no end would survive getting THAT crispy.
Sneads was really good at that shit back in the day.

It's a flash setting, rather than raw jpegs, so I can't directly post, but compare pre-rendered ends [7] to rendered ends [8]. The crispy part is the blackened end.
Sorry, must have misunderstood! :thumb:

I like a primarily chewy consistency, with a little crispiness in there.

Baby Lee
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry, must have misunderstood! :thumb:

I like a primarily chewy consistency, with a little crispiness in there.

That's why I likes Sneads so much, perhaps crispy is too strong a term, but they used such fatty brisket for their ends that that good lattice work of bits of meat held together by rendered fat that was initially crispy but melted in you mouth like the perfect 'crispy bacon,' that 'grind to dust' quality of rendered fat. And like I said, the fat has a much higher potential for smoke absorbtion than meat, no matter how jerkified.

If, as it is your thread, we're limited to whether we prefer chewy smoke meat or falling off the bone tender smoked meat, I'll take tender. ;)

HemiEd
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
It is about the only Q I don't like. Well, that I have tried. I used to frequent Rosedales, and tried them several times, thinking it must have just been a bad bunch.

ClevelandBronco
01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh, hell. Could a mod please add a "WTF is a burnt end?" option?

WTF is a burnt end?

I know from reading the thread, but not from eating them.

Toadkiller
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I could eat em every day. That is if I lived in KC still instead of LA. BTW anyone know a great BBQ place in North LA? There are a couple that bill themselves as KC BBQ. Trust me... they are not.

There was no good BBQ in LA 2 years ago when I lived there but I googled this and at least they have burnt ends and get ok reviews:

Kansas City BBQ Company
10863 Magnolia Blvd. (Satsuma Ave.) Studio City, CA 91601

Phone:
818-754-0030

Fax:
818-754-8910

kysirsoze
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
There was no good BBQ in LA 2 years ago when I lived there but I googled this and at least they have burnt ends and get ok reviews:

Kansas City BBQ Company
10863 Magnolia Blvd. (Satsuma Ave.) Studio City, CA 91601

Phone:
818-754-0030

Fax:
818-754-8910

Thanks for the research but I've tried it and it sucks. Pretty sure those reviews are from Los Angelinos that think BBQ is just meat with sauce on it.

Toadkiller
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Figures. At Least Portland has some decent bbq, but I sure miss good KC stuff. Thats why I do my own now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
It is about the only Q I don't like. Well, that I have tried. I used to frequent Rosedales, and tried them several times, thinking it must have just been a bad bunch.

There's your problem right there.

HemiEd
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
There's your problem right there.

I sure won't argue that point, but it was very convenient to the office. I have had MUCH better BBQ down in Wichita.

R&S is by far the best I have ever tasted, anywhere. Last I knew, they were only open 4 hours a day, two days a week. People lined up when it was time.

Fritz88
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
You can tell by my thread header how I feel. I've gone to great lengths to make massive amounts of burnt ends. Absolutely love them. If burnt ends were the only BBQ I could have for the rest of my life, I'd be good with it.

you won't have much life left if you keep on eating them :)

gblowfish
01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Usually burnt ends are very fatty and greasy, and are the worst part of the rib. I'd much rather have a short end at Gates than their burnt ends.

It's kind of like a bbq sloppy joe.

You can do much better by ordering brisket, or chicken or something else, IMHO.

Some people swear this is their favorite though, so...whatever smokes your meat!

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Usually burnt ends are very fatty and greasy, and are the worst part of the rib. I'd much rather have a short end at Gates than their burnt ends.

It's kind of like a bbq sloppy joe.

You can do much better by ordering brisket, or chicken or something else, IMHO.

Some people swear this is their favorite though, so...whatever smokes your meat!

Burnt ends are part of the brisket.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I sure won't argue that point, but it was very convenient to the office. I have had MUCH better BBQ down in Wichita.

R&S is by far the best I have ever tasted, anywhere. Last I knew, they were only open 4 hours a day, two days a week. People lined up when it was time.

Is R&S in Wichita?

HemiEd
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Is R&S in Wichita?

Yes it is. I would tell you where, but I have been gone long enough now, I have forgotten exactly. 9th, Murdock, 13th street area not to far from Grove IIRC. Saggysack or RNR should chime in here and tell us I hope.

excessive
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
How can you not love burnt ends?

Problem is, you can't always get the real thing. Manufactured ends aren't the real thing. Places like Jack Stack sell manufactured ends, not the real, cut from the brisket ends.

If it ain't real ends, it ain't worth messing with.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM

:stupid:

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Problem is, you can't always get the real thing. Manufactured ends aren't the real thing. Places like Jack Stack sell manufactured ends, not the real, cut from the brisket ends.

:stupid:

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
LMAO. DCS -- Remember in the other bbq thread where I told you that the rankings on his site weren't worth a darn? I think you now realize that I was right.

Burnt ends coming from ribs :doh!:Wow.

HC_Chief
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_ends

Burnt Ends = KC BBQ; and they be delicious! :drool:

Sure-Oz
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Speak from experience?:evil:

Saleenman607
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Tried some from JackStack a few months ago.......not impressed with the "burnt" ends, nothing burnt about them, not even semi crispy. The ribs and cheesy corn however were very good. Anyone tried the Kobe burnt ends?
Closest decent BBQ place near me is Famous Daves............YUK

Extra Point
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Burnt ends going into the beans! If only I could cook the beans like Jack Stack!

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Tried some from JackStack a few months ago.......not impressed with the "burnt" ends, nothing burnt about them, not even semi crispy. The ribs and cheesy corn however were very good. Anyone tried the Kobe burnt ends?
Closest decent BBQ place near me is Famous Daves............YUK

I will say this once: FAMOUS DAVE'S IS NOT KC BARBECUE!

Famous Dave's is Minnesota barbecue.

And yes. YUK.

That is all.

88TG88
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
LMAO. DCS -- Remember in the other bbq thread where I told you that the rankings on his site weren't worth a darn? I think you now realize that I was right.

Thats what I thought it was.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
You are excused, being from the CA. 'Aint no thing.

VAChief
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
As long as they're from LCs here in KC, oh hell yes ...

MM
~~:drool:

They are awfully good there! I used to teach near there, then moved away 11 years ago. I go back there every time I pass through.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM

I can actually see why one might think that. Ribs are quintessential barbecue, and calling them burnt ends might lead one to believe it.

They are, however, the burnt ends of the brisket.

Saleenman607
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I will say this once: FAMOUS DAVE'S IS NOT KC BARBECUE!

Famous Dave's is Minnesota barbecue.

And yes. YUK.

That is all.

Very well......carry on.

Does Gates deliver?

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Very well......carry on.

Does Gates deliver?

:thumb:

It's a pet peeve. Fucking Famous Dave's opened up down in the Power & Light district because none of the actual KC barbecue places could afford it. Consequently, I'm dismayed that the thousands of people that will come to the Sprint Center and see FD's, and say, "Oh, there's some KC barbecue... it's supposed to be great."

So they'll try it, and come out disappointed, and think that's what KC barbecue is.

And not only is KC barbecue much better than that, but FD's isn't even KC barbecue. It's a God Damn travesty.

googlegoogle
01-30-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/kansascity/citymarketendschopped.jpg

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

It's a pet peeve. Fucking Famous Dave's opened up down in the Power & Light district because none of the actual KC barbecue places could afford it. Consequently, I'm dismayed that the thousands of people that will come to the Sprint Center and see FD's, and say, "Oh, there's some KC barbecue... it's supposed to be great."

So they'll try it, and come out disappointed, and think that's what KC barbecue is.

And not only is KC barbecue much better than that, but FD's isn't even KC barbecue. It's a God Damn travesty.
The P&L Famous Dave's closed! Victory! It's being replaced by another chain, Old Chicago, but that was expected given the astronomical price to put a business there.

googlegoogle
01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/tamba_hali.jpg

HemiEd
01-30-2009, 05:00 PM

It's a pet peeve. ****ing Famous Dave's opened up down in the Power & Light district because none of the actual KC barbecue places could afford it. Consequently, I'm dismayed that the thousands of people that will come to the Sprint Center and see FD's, and say, "Oh, there's some KC barbecue... it's supposed to be great."

They have a Famous Daves here fairly close, we went once. It was enough.

Saleenman607
01-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Now that shit there looks like some Goddamn bunt ends.......got to get some of that

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't recognize those ends. Usually I can tell where the pic was taken from by the combination of the food, presentation, wrapping paper, tableside sauces, etc. I can't place this one though. Is it from out of KC? (Yeah, I know I could probably just see where the pic is linked from, but that's cheating).

Adept Havelock
01-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Exactly. :thumb:

To paraphrase J.T. of "The Bone Shack"..."Best in KC!"

Baby Lee
01-30-2009, 05:10 PM

[Demonpenz]That looks like tootie[/DP]

Valiant
01-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I have not been a fan of them for a long long time.. Probably because everytime I ordered them or someone made them they were... well burnt.. I like savory medium rare meats..

The ones in the picture above actually look good though..

Bowser
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Love 'em, as long as they're not TOO burnt. Dried out burnt ends = teh suck.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I have not been a fan of them for a long long time.. Probably because everytime I ordered them or someone made them they were... well burnt.. I like savory medium rare meats..

The ones in the picture above actually look good though..
You wouldn't want brisket medium rare. It would be akin to shoe leather.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Well, the good news is; making burnt ends from ribs would be a much less time( and education )-intensive proposition! :evil: DOHT!

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't recognize those ends. Usually I can tell where the pic was taken from by the combination of the food, presentation, wrapping paper, tableside sauces, etc. I can't place this one though. Is it from out of KC? (Yeah, I know I could probably just see where the pic is linked from, but that's cheating).

It looks like a shot from LC's website.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

The P&L Famous Dave's closed! Victory! It's being replaced by another chain, Old Chicago, but that was expected given the astronomical price to put a business there.

Yayyyy...WHAT?!?!?!?:eek:

"Chicago"?!?!?!:cuss:

Kiss my motherfuckin' ass, P&L!!!
If that don't just salt my balls...:shake:

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
It looks like a shot from LC's website.
I know its not L.C.'s. The ends are similar, but I've eaten at L.C.'s enough to know that those didn't come from L.C.'s. Besides, the ends aren't heavily sauced like L.C.'s serves them. Also, the butcher paper is a giveaway that the pic isn't from L.C.'s; L.C.'s serves food on styrofoam plates. Also, L.C.'s has fountain drinks; that big glass bottle of whatever-it-is can't be purchased at L.C.'s.

Its times like these, reading the above paragraph, where I realize that I perhaps eat too much barbecue.

xbarretx
01-30-2009, 08:03 PM

this times 2 :hail:

Over-Head
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
You don' t have a Gaz option, I'm not voting :harumph:

Infidel Goat
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Jake Edwards FTW!!!!1111!!!!!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I know its not L.C.'s. The ends are similar, but I've eaten at L.C.'s enough to know that those didn't come from L.C.'s. Besides, the ends aren't heavily sauced like L.C.'s serves them. Also, the butcher paper is a giveaway that the pic isn't from L.C.'s; L.C.'s serves food on styrofoam plates. Also, L.C.'s has fountain drinks; that big glass bottle of whatever-it-is can't be purchased at L.C.'s.

Its times like these, reading the above paragraph, where I realize that I perhaps eat too much barbecue.

Blasphemy!

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Blasphemy!
You're right. What was I thinking? I shall wear my bbq nerd-dom like a badge of honor.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
You're right. What was I thinking? I shall wear my bbq nerd-dom like a badge of honor.

Damn straight.

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
i had the burnt ends at bb's lawnside bbq on saturday, they were awesome I gave them away to my friends they were like holy shit. This is awesome

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
i had the burnt ends at bb's lawnside bbq on saturday, they were awesome I gave them away to my friends they were like holy shit. This is awesome

Very benevolent of you Penz.:thumb:

That place in the river market sucks a butt overall, but they DO make one of the best 'Smokey Joe' sandwiches I ever had.

Just sayin.

Reaper16
01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Very benevolent of you Penz.:thumb:

That place in the river market sucks a butt overall, but they DO make one of the best 'Smokey Joe' sandwiches I ever had.

Just sayin.
Winslow's was way disappointing the last time that I ate there. The burnt ends I ordered were abnormally cold.

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I am not what he is talking about bb's is on 85th in the hood. you would need a bazooka up your ass to get to river market from there

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I am not what he is talking about bb's is on 85th in the hood. you would need a bazooka up your ass to get to river market from there

I know where BB's is, I'm talking about a different place altogether.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Winslow's was way disappointing the last time that I ate there. The burnt ends I ordered were abnormally cold.

Like I said, Smokey Joe good, all else shite.

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 08:54 PM
i love the q. I want to try phobia's meat (that doesn't sound right...or does it brown chicken brown cow)

Bugeater
01-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I've heard of them, but never tried them.

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 08:56 PM
they are really good, I can't think of a place I didn't like them at. I don't even remember the first time I went to bb's but I order those every time

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
i actually can't remember htf I stumbled across them. because I must have asked what is good to the server because no way would I know to oder that by myself

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
i actually can't remember htf I stumbled across them. because I must have asked what is good to the server because no way would I know to oder that by myself

When I was a kid, I used to cook my hot dogs over the fire until they were charred black on the outside. I also liked my steak well-done( when I was a kid ), so one of the cooks at Bobby's caught me eyeballin' some burnt ends and asked me if I wanted to try one.

It was charred nirvana.o:-)

Demonpenz
01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
When I was a kid, I used to cook my hot dogs over the fire until they were charred black on the outside. I also liked my steak well-done( when I was a kid ), so one of the cooks at Bobby's caught me eyeballin' some burnt ends and asked me if I wanted to try one.

It was charred nirvana.o:-)

minus the gunshot wound I hope

gblowfish
01-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Ah, yes, you are absolutely correct. Burnt ends are from the outer crust of a brisket, not from a rack of ribs. I knew that, but had a Massive Friday Brain Fart.I have only had them a couple of times, I didn't care for them much. And if you like them, definitely enjoy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-30-2009, 09:12 PM
minus the gunshot wound I hope

I knew that was coming, and I wondered what form it would take. You did not disappoint.:D

googlegoogle
01-31-2009, 02:00 AM

pic of burn ends from a google images search. not a restaurant.

Reaper16
01-31-2009, 02:07 AM
,pic of burn ends from a google images search. not a restaurant.
I gotcha'. Well, those ends came from a restaurant, surely. Now that I know you don't know, I'm gonna find out.

Reaper16
01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
I gotcha'. Well, those ends came from a restaurant, surely. Now that I know you don't know. I'm gonna find out.
City Market in Luling, Texas. I knew those ends didn't come from a KC place.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-31-2009, 02:18 AM
I gotcha'. Well, those ends came from a restaurant, surely. Now that I know you don't know, I'm gonna find out.

CLEAR THE STREETS; IT'S A CUE-OFF!!!!:evil:

Coogs
01-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Question on the burnt ends.

If the burnt ends are the best part of the brisket, and you make them by cubing the point, mix in some BBQ and some rub and put them back on the grill for another couple of hours, has anyone tried... or what happens if you would try and do the same thing with some of the flat of the brisket?

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2009, 09:38 AM

If the burnt ends are the best part of the brisket, and you make them by cubing the point, mix in some BBQ and some rub and put them back on the grill for another couple of hours, has anyone tried... or what happens if you would try and do the same thing with some of the flat of the brisket?

:hmmm:

McRib ?

;)

Coogs
01-31-2009, 09:49 AM
:hmmm:

McRib ?

;)

So you haved tried it, and this is what it is?

burt
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
they are really good, I can't think of a place I didn't like them at. I don't even remember the first time I went to bb's but I order those every time

Bates City BBQ has poor burt ends....

Reaper16
01-31-2009, 11:08 AM

Coogs
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM

:shrug: Never made them before. Made brisket a few times. Going by the link earlier in this thread...

... it appears that is the way they are made.

I am open to other suggestions.

Fire Me Boy!
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM

The flat isn't fatty enough. Has to be the point.

And it's not just cubed point. You basically shave off the burnt ends, then the point can be used as for other brisket, or, as I've done before, put back in the smoker for more burnt ends.

Reaper16
01-31-2009, 02:51 PM
:shrug: Never made them before. Made brisket a few times. Going by the link earlier in this thread...

... it appears that is the way they are made.

I am open to other suggestions.
I'm just a stickler for terminology sometimes. Unless you were making a coded reference to sauce, "mix in some bbq" didn't make sense to me. Also, I guess you were probably using "grill" as synonymous with smoker.

Coogs
01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm just a stickler for terminology sometimes. Unless you were making a coded reference to sauce, "mix in some bbq" didn't make sense to me. Also, I guess you were probably using "grill" as synonymous with smoker.

Sorry! Yes and yes to both questions.

Reaper16
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry! Yes and yes to both questions.
I was just being a curmudgeon.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-31-2009, 03:03 PM
I was just being a curmudgeon.

It wouldn't be genuine, but I guess you could technically filet and cube a brisket, rub each piece and give it a whirl.

It pains me to type that.

Fire Me Boy!
01-31-2009, 03:07 PM
It wouldn't be genuine, but I guess you could technically filet and cube a brisket, rub each piece and give it a whirl.

It pains me to type that.

No, you couldn't. The key to brisket is low and slow. If you cook it quickly, the meat will be tough as leather. You don't treat cheap cuts of meat like steak. Likewise, you wouldn't slow smoke a filet mignon or a strip steak. Don't try to grill brisket.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-31-2009, 03:44 PM
No, you couldn't. The key to brisket is low and slow. If you cook it quickly, the meat will be tough as leather. You don't treat cheap cuts of meat like steak. Likewise, you wouldn't slow smoke a filet mignon or a strip steak. Don't try to grill brisket.

I was referring to smoking.

Coogs
01-31-2009, 06:34 PM

Fire Me Boy,

My question was this...

After you are done smoking the brisket, apparently the burnt ends require some further work in the kitchen followed by a return trip to the smoker for a couple of hours.

If you do the same to the flat of the brisket as you do to the point of the brisket do you get the same results as burnt ends? Or is that a waste of meat and time?

Demonpenz
01-31-2009, 08:32 PM
anyone had smokin joe's burnt ends my friend says they are good. I think he is a rook

rocks
01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
They are soooo good!!!! Sultan of Smoke has great burnt ends in Joplin. Some other places sometimes try to give you just a piece of burnt something and not the true brisket end.

Fire Me Boy!
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Fire Me Boy,

My question was this...

After you are done smoking the brisket, apparently the burnt ends require some further work in the kitchen followed by a return trip to the smoker for a couple of hours.

If you do the same to the flat of the brisket as you do to the point of the brisket do you get the same results as burnt ends? Or is that a waste of meat and time?

Waste of meat and time. The flat will just become an over-cooked, mushy, dry mess. Overcooked flat is not good. The meat/fat composition of the flat is not the same as the point. The point has a lot more fat, which in the advanced cooking stages keep it moist and soak up more smoke.

Coogs
02-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Waste of meat and time. The flat will just become an over-cooked, mushy, dry mess. Overcooked flat is not good. The meat/fat composition of the flat is not the same as the point. The point has a lot more fat, which in the advanced cooking stages keep it moist and soak up more smoke.

Thank your FMB!

I have a brisket on the smoker now, and am going to try the Bacon Explosion this afternoon as well. We have a party thrown together at our house today for the game, and I am going to hopefully spoil all of our guests with your creations.

Thanks again, and enjoy the game! :toast:

Spicy McHaggis
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Awesomeness in meat form. One of things I miss most about KC.

RJ
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm about to fire up the smoker myself. I have a little 3 1/2 lb brisket with a nice fat layer that I seasoned last night. I've never done one this small on a smoker before, I originally intended to bake it. Seems like a waste to fire it up for just that, I need to think of something to cook with it.

Any suggestions? It would need to be something that would cook in about 3-4 hours.

KCUnited
02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
I normally enjoy burnt ends, but its hit or miss. I hate burnt ends that are swimming in sauce and I hate grizzley burnt ends. I had a burnt end sandwich at OK Joe's yesterday and I really enjoyed them in a sandwich.

Coogs
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Fire Me Boy!,

Saw you are on the Planet right now. Just wanted to let you know I made the burntends for the first time Sunday. They were a hit. And the brisket went over big as well. Topped it off with the Bacon Explosion.

You were three-for-three on the day! So thanks from my house to your house!

Coogs :toast: :toast: :toast:

melbar
02-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Is this a trick Question? Especially for KC fans...BBQ is good food!

Fire Me Boy!
02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Fire Me Boy!,

Saw you are on the Planet right now. Just wanted to let you know I made the burntends for the first time Sunday. They were a hit. And the brisket went over big as well. Topped it off with the Bacon Explosion.

You were three-for-three on the day! So thanks from my house to your house!

Coogs :toast: :toast: :toast:

keg in kc
02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Burnt ends are the food of the absent gods.

Buck
09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I was hoping to try these when I came out there.

boogblaster
09-08-2010, 05:14 PM
da best in da west ... hands down ..................

Toadkiller
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I could live off burnt ends. Every time I do a brisket I make some.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toadkiller/3257346904/sizes/z/in/set-72157613385778361/

SCTrojan
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I love them, but don't always order them. I also love the crown prime ribs from Jack Stack.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Burnt Ends are God's way of saying He loves you.

Reaper16
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Fuck God. Burnt ends are the creation of man.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I was hoping to try these when I came out there.You will JIYP

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I dont understand how anyone could not like burnt ends, unless you just dont like smoked brisket.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I dont understand how anyone could not like burnt ends, unless you just dont like smoked brisket.

Or you are teh ghey.

tonyetony
09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Loved them until I got the worst case of food poisoning in my life after eating some in Olathe a long time ago. Haven't even thought about ordering any since...I always order a brisket sandwich and a few hot links nowadays.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Loved them until I got the worst case of food poisoning in my life after eating some in Olathe a long time ago. Haven't even thought about ordering any since...I always order a brisket sandwich and a few hot links nowadays.I see. That has nothing to do with the actual burnt ends though. I know what you mean. My grandmother made some kick-ass peanut brittle. One time I ate too much and got sick. I've hated it ever since. This was nearly 30 yrs ago.

keg in kc
09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
My sick and never eat again food is barbecue potato chips. Had a big drunk once in college, ate an entire bag, puked them all up. Twenty years later I still can't stand the smell of them.

Reaper16
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
My sick-and-never-eat-again foods are mayonnaise and cottage cheese. I hate pretty much all globby white foods.

keg in kc
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Cottage cheese is the food I constantly buy at the grocery and then let rot unopened in the fridge. I always think "I'll remember to eat it this time". And I never do. Do the same thing with yogurt, too. And salad.

I'm doing better with the salad now, but I've decided to stop buying cottage cheese and yogurt, because I just won't eat it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
My sick and never eat again food is barbecue potato chips. Had a big drunk once in college, ate an entire bag, puked them all up. Twenty years later I still can't stand the smell of them.

FAIL.

My sick-and-never-eat-again foods are mayonnaise and cottage cheese. I hate pretty much all globby white foods.

WIN. Except no mayo on a Club is just not done. Sorry.:)

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
What's not to like about burnt ends? Good eats.

Reaper16
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
WIN. Except no mayo on a Club is just not done. Sorry.:)
I respect that. It is why I've never eaten a Club sandwich in my entire life.

The Elder
09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
For burnt ends Bryants has the best on the planet.

For BBQ chips I recommend Guys, Best in the world

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Wut???

Okay, I'm giving you a "mayo pass" on this. You MUST have a turkey-bacon club on toast with fries before you die.

Good Lord Man; it's an Americana-Diner staple!

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM

That's not surprising considering you just came off formula.

Reaper16
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Wut???

Okay, I'm giving you a "mayo pass" on this. You MUST have a turkey-bacon club on toast with fries before you die.

Good Lord Man; it's an Americana-Diner staple!
Can I just eat some turkey and bacon on some good bread and eat some fries with it? I can't get behind the mayo.

That's not surprising considering you just came off formula.
LMAO I'll be 24 tomorrow. That's a fair number of years in which I've had chances to eat a club. A fair number.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Can I just eat some turkey and bacon on some good bread and eat some fries with it? I can't get behind the mayo.

No. You must go to a good and proper greasy spoon( like the old Sanderson's on Main was ), and order a turkey-bacon club sans mayo.

Do not fail me.

http://brandondayton.com/website/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/956-041the-empire-strikes-back-posters.jpg

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM

LMAO I'll be 24 tomorrow. That's a fair number of years in which I've had chances to eat a club. A fair number.

WOW, you are a big boy now. Happy B-day dude. Shouldn't you be planning your carnage?

Reaper16
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
WOW, you are a big boy now. Happy B-day dude. Shouldn't you be planning your carnage?
Not so much on the carnage front. I've got a reading that evening. After that I'm just going to hang out with people, drink some saison and eat some brie.

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Not so much on the carnage front. I've got a reading that evening. After that I'm just going to hang out with people, drink some saison and eat some brie.

Yea, the whole hookers and blow thing totally overrated. I can see you know how to truly blow out your 24th.

Seriously, hope you have great birthday dude. It is alright to call you dude now being it's your 24th right?