PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Closure For Chiefs Nation

Hammock Parties
01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/835264.html

I was angry last year when the Hall of Fame committee put Fred Dean and Andre Tippett in Canton instead of Derrick Thomas. In my mind, and the minds of many Chiefs fans, Dean and Tippett never came close to being the type of player Thomas was. It felt like a slap in the face.

Because of that, going into this year’s selection process, I had resigned myself to apathy over the outcome. Whatever happened – if Thomas got in, if he didn’t, if the Hall of Fame decided to annex a wing just for Thomas – it was going to be irrelevant in my mind. The Hall had lost its luster, almost as if it was a Pro Bowl for NFL history.

But like so many offensive coordinators, in the end I just couldn’t ignore Derrick Thomas.

When NFL Network’s Rich Eisen announced that Thomas had survived the cut to the final 10, and then the cut to the final five, my breath caught in my throat, my heart started to pound and nothing else in the world mattered. Despite my vow to treat the announcement as if it didn’t matter, my addiction to all things Chiefs took over and anxiety kicked in.

Seconds turned to hours as Stephen Perry, President of the Hall of Fame, slowly replaced Eisen at the podium and read six names. When Perry actually said “Derrick Thomas,” I couldn’t help but scream at the top of my lungs. It was the most significant moment in Chiefs history in a long, long time.

Once Bruce Smith turned off the waterworks, Chiefs Chairman of the Board Clark Hunt stepped to the podium and accepted the selection on behalf of the late Thomas. It was vintage Clark Hunt, taking care of business in about the classiest manner possible, as he first tipped his cap to his father’s old friend, Ralph Wilson, Jr, then Bob Gretz, DT’s presenter, and finally Thomas’ mother, Edith Morgan.

Hunt’s speech was nothing new, mostly a rehash of what kind of player Thomas was and what he accomplished. But what was striking about it was not the words, but rather the manner in which they were uttered. The sweat on Hunt’s brow shined under the hot lights, his voice quivered ever so slightly. This was a big deal for Kansas City and Chiefs fans everywhere, and Hunt was feeling it like the rest of us.

There’s still an induction ceremony to come, a yellow jacket to hand out, and tears to undoubtedly be shed from a myriad of fans wearing #58 jerseys in Ohio months from now. For now, though, this moment feels like the closure Chiefs Nation needed to finalize the saga of Derrick Thomas.

Thomas’ death early in 2000 was so sudden and so unexpected it felt like we were all in limbo until the order to carve his bust was finally signed. It's been difficult to move on, because nothing else that has happened in the world that revolves around the Kansas City Chiefs has overshadowed the tragedy of his death. What else has there truly been to celebrate since Thomas was on the field?

The Chiefs haven’t won anything significant since DT terrorized Warren Moon in the Astrodome 15 years ago in a playoff victory. Thomas’ word to his teammates that day was “believe,” and yet there has been little to believe in since.

But now we all have closure - in many ways. The Carl Peterson era has ended. The Chiefs will soon have a new head coach, and a new stadium will follow. Perhaps it’s only fitting that the greatest Kansas City Chief since the Hank Stram era – and maybe ever, if you want to have that debate – finally received a posthumous period on the end of his football career.

And speaking of new beginnings, I’ll never forget the first game I attended at Arrowhead Stadium, in 1999. As the Chiefs took on the Pittsburgh Steelers that day, Derrick Thomas racked up the last quarterback sack of his life, flying around left tackle Wayne Gandy, closing on Mike Tomczak in a microsecond and bringing Arrowhead to it’s feet one final time. I stood up and cheered in section 324, happy to be there despite the December chill, happy to see Thomas do what only he could do so well.

On Saturday, January 31, 2009, I stood up and cheered for Thomas again. There’s no reason to feel angry anymore. See you in Canton, Derrick.

PS – Congratulations on beating Shannon Sharpe and catching up to John Elway, one last time.

DaFace
01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Well done.

KcKing
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice Job Sir Claythan... One of the best articles i've read of yours.

OnTheWarpath15
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
That might be your best written work yet.

Well done, Clay.

ChiefsCountry
01-31-2009, 09:47 PM
I agree, good job. Like the PS at the end. :)

Fish
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Very nicely done with this one.

Marco Polo
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Bump.

WilliamTheIrish
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think you even know who Fred Dean or Andre Tippett are. I agree you were upset.

He's in. That's what counts. Bashing Fred Dean makes you sound fanboy-ish.

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Nice job, GoChiefs. This is well written article.

Smed1065
01-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think you even know who Fred Dean or Andre Tippett are. I agree you were upset.

He's in. That's what counts. Bashing Fred Dean makes you sound fanboy-ish.

No but he is on the bandwagon of someone he does not know!

Same azz. I want to be a popular azz....Phoenix!!.LOL

Even suck Nicks dick cause he said KC will improve, I mean I edit articles that contains the truth after we report lies!!!!!!!!!!

Nick suks like a CRACK WHORE!

greg63
02-01-2009, 12:05 AM
The PS at the end was the best part Clythan!

FAX
02-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Good job, Mr. GoChiefs.

From the heart and to the mind.

FAX

blueballs
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
hearing or reading CHiefs Nation
pisses me off for some reason

Hammock Parties
02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
hearing or reading CHiefs Nation
pisses me off for some reason

I'll be honest - I don't really like writing it. It feels sort of swishy. But I can't think of a better, more concise term.

blueballs
02-01-2009, 12:52 AM
it's just too close to Raider nation
old habits

Big Chief Homer
02-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Great Read GC !!!! Best article in a long time.

Danman
02-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Great article. Rep to you. I also can't stand Chief Nation because it sounds like a rip off of Raider Nation. We need a name for the fans like the Sea (sea of red) or the tribe.

Very good read.

Luke the Drifter
02-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I'll be honest - I don't really like writing it. It feels sort of swishy. But I can't think of a better, more concise term.

Swishy is good at moments like these. Great article and tribute to a Great Chief Player.:clap:

DTLB58
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Along with the secrecy and profesionalism of the GM hiring and the new coaching search, I thought Clark being present and making that speech was the classiest thing I've seen from the Chiefs franchise in a long time.

I'm not afraid to admit I cried the entire time Clark was at the podium making that speech. Not only for Derrick but because I felt so proud to be a Chiefs fan and of Clark and the direction this franchise is taking and how his father, looking down, must be so proud of how his son has taken charge of this team.

Dayze
02-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice job Claythan. Good article.

Start your own "WPI"-esque site. Remove yourself from WPI; you could do well on your own.

Hammock Parties
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice job Claythan. Good article.

Start your own "WPI"-esque site. Remove yourself from WPI; you could do well on your own.

I appreciate that but it would fail. Horribly.

StcChief
02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
nice article.... well done, you might be able to get a real job in this industry yet.

Rausch
02-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm still angry that guys like DT, Shields, etc. never got a ring.

I think it's also sad and ironic that DT's kids will have to grow up without a father much like he did...