PDA

View Full Version : Football XLIII: One of the best all-around Super Bowls of all time?

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I think that a lot of "classic" Super Bowls are remembered as such because of last-second field goals and individual drives or quarters that define them. Last year's Super Bowl had some good defense but the only really exciting part was the drive that included The Catch II.

I think this was one of the best cover-to-cover Super Bowls ever. There wasn't really one defining moment; rather, there was a series of incredible moments that culminated in a fantastic game of football. The play by both sides of both teams was top notch.

What are some other Super Bowls that were truly great games from start to finish, and how do you think this one compares?

Deberg_1990
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Im trying to figure out why most of the super bowls of the past 10-12 years have been better than the ones in the 80's and early 90's.

SAUTO
02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Im trying to figure out why most of the super bowls of the past 10-12 years have been better than the ones in the 80's and early 90's.

salary cap/free agency makes for parity

SAUTO
02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
or it COULD be a conspiracy LOL

keg in kc
02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Best fourth quarter. I thought the rest of the game was pretty dull outside of the two obvious big plays.

TinyEvel
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
GREAT GAME!!!!

Comercials? Meh. Except for Hulu...Coke Zero...Career Builder

GoDaddy has hit a new low :shake:

beach tribe
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
or it COULD be a conspiracy LOL

:rolleyes:

DenverChief
I agree one of the best I have seen since I started watching.... Tennessee and St. Louis was right up there as well

Deberg_1990
GREAT GAME!!!!

Comercials? Meh. Except for Hulu...Coke Zero...Career Builder

GoDaddy has hit a new low :shake:

no SONY commericials??

chief52
NE vs Carolina in '04 was pretty good. Probably better than this one. The fourth quarter was awesome that night.

" New England then took over the ball and drove all the way down field for a 1 yard touch down pass complete from Brady to Vrabel. They were able to convert on the 2 pt attempt as Kevin Faulk ran the ball into the end zone. Delhomme and Carolina answered right back with a 12 yard pass to Ricky Proehl tying the game at 29 with only 1:08 left.

John Kasay's ensuing kick off went out of bounds putting NE in great field position at the 40 yard line. This was enough for NE to get Adam Vinatieri in position to kick a 41 yard game winning field goal."

SAUTO
:rolleyes:

i watched the game with a guy who actually said that ROFL

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Best fourth quarter. I thought the rest of the game was pretty dull outside of the two obvious big plays.

I dunno, the Steelers' opening drive was pretty great, and the Cardinals stopping the Steelers from scoring a touchdown in the red zone TWICE in the same time was great as well. Not many lazy three-and-out drives.

Ultra Peanut
02-01-2009, 10:06 PM
StL-TN
NE-StL
NE-CAR
NYG-NE
PIT-AZ

All fantastic games.

88TG88
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
last year was way better

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
last year was way better

Last year had probably the best single play and one of the best drives, but that one play was so much more exciting and memorable than a majority of the rest of the game.

Rain Man
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
St. Louis-Tennessee is still the best, but this one is probably second in my book. Might be first except for all the flags.

banyon
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
StL-TN
NE-StL
NE-CAR
NYG-NE
PIT-AZ

All fantastic games.

This is a great list.

Mama Hip Rockets
02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
NE vs Carolina in '04 was pretty good. Probably better than this one. The fourth quarter was awesome that night.

" New England then took over the ball and drove all the way down field for a 1 yard touch down pass complete from Brady to Vrabel. They were able to convert on the 2 pt attempt as Kevin Faulk ran the ball into the end zone. Delhomme and Carolina answered right back with a 12 yard pass to Ricky Proehl tying the game at 29 with only 1:08 left.

John Kasay's ensuing kick off went out of bounds putting NE in great field position at the 40 yard line. This was enough for NE to get Adam Vinatieri in position to kick a 41 yard game winning field goal."

game winning touchdowns are a little more exciting than game winning field goals, don't you think?

this was the best super bowl of all time.

TinyEvel
02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
no SONY commericials??

After paying my salary, they couldn't afford them

ZING!

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
St. Louis-Tennessee is still the best, but this one is probably second in my book. Might be first except for all the flags.

Agreed. It's funny how the NFL is such an offensive league, but a last-yard tackle as time expires is the most dramatic finish ever.

This is probably #2 for me, too, even though my team lost (though I was rooting for Tennessee, too... if the Chiefs ever make it, I need to root for the other team cuz I have bad mojo).

OnTheWarpath15
Tonight was the best overall game, IMO.

Interesting that Kurt Warner has been involved in 3 of the best games in SB history.

1999, 2001, 2009.

Thig Lyfe
After paying my salary, they couldn't afford them

ZING!

EDGY!

FloridaMan88
02-01-2009, 10:24 PM
SF-Cincy (1989), NY Giants-Buffalo (1991),
Green Bay-Denver (1998), St. Louis-Tennessee (2000), New England- NY Giants (2008), New England-Carolina (2004)

That would be my top 5

Mama Hip Rockets
02-01-2009, 10:24 PM
SF-Cincy (1989), NY Giants-Buffalo (1991),
Green Bay-Denver (1998), St. Louis-Tennessee (2000), New England- NY Giants (2008), New England-Carolina (2004)

That would be my top 5

that is 6! cheater!

FloridaMan88
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
that is 6! cheater!

Meh, fine then toss out the NY Giants-New England game from last year... that barely made the cut on my list.

whoman69
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Competitively a very good game. There were a ton of penalties and both teams dissappeared for big parts of the game. It was not the best played Super Bowl, but it had its share of excitement and players coming up big when needed.

Hammock Parties
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Best Super Bowl since Rams/Pats.

Two great quarterbacks playing really well. The defenses had their moments.

kcpasco
02-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I think I gotta go with Superbowl IV

FAX
02-01-2009, 11:13 PM
It was a great game (except for the outcome, of course). Probably the most exciting SB of all times based on the comeback and all. There for a second, I thought that Arizona was going to pull it off. That was a heck of a clutch catch in the endzone by that Steeler guy. Rothlessburgessmerideth needs to buy that guy a house.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM

The NE Carolina 4th quarter was amazing too, but this topped it.

This has to go down with XXIII, and XXXIV as one of the all-time best.

Rain Man
02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Agreed. It's funny how the NFL is such an offensive league, but a last-yard tackle as time expires is the most dramatic finish ever.

I think that's why I liked that game so much. Every cheesy movie in history has the team winning by scoring a touchdown at the last second, so it's overdone. Winning by stopping a touchdown in the last second is just as dramatic, and it's much more unique.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
XXIII was the first football game I ever watched from start to end. I wanted the Bengals to win because I probably liked their colors more. That was the standard for Super Bowls for me, and tonight's game was every bit as good.

kysirsoze
02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not nearly old enough to sufficiently answer this question.

Hootie
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't understand why the last play of the game wasn't challenged???

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
They couldn't challenge it. Reviewed is what you probably meant.

KCrockaholic
02-02-2009, 01:37 AM

well it couldnt be "challenged" but the replay booth from upstairs should have looked at the play. That was total BS! plus they didnt penalize Holmes for using the ball as a prop after his TD! That would have been 15 yards on the kickoff right there...The refs really screwed over the Cardinals on a lot of plays.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 01:39 AM
well it couldnt be "challenged" but the reply booth from upstairs should have looked at the play. That was total BS! plus they didnt penalize Holmes for using the ball as a prop after his TD! That would have been 15 yards on the kickoff right there...The refs really screwed over the Cardinals on a lot of plays.

In the words of Mike Tomlin, "Yes Sir!"

KCChiefsMan
02-02-2009, 03:16 AM
this was a great Superbowl no doubt. But, I don't think this is even close to some of those Joe Montana Superbowls

KCChiefsMan
02-02-2009, 03:18 AM

yes, I think that is what he meant. Actually I'm 100% sure that is what he meant. Was that too hard for you to figure out on your own or do you just like to be a douche?

Abba-Dabba
02-02-2009, 03:44 AM
yes, I think that is what he meant. Actually I'm 100% sure that is what he meant. Was that too hard for you to figure out on your own or do you just like to be a douche?

Eye Roe Nies

Hootie
02-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant...

It made no sense.

It's the friggin' Super Bowl and that isn't being reviewed? I was torn 50/50 on whether or not it was a fumble...I'm not saying it was a bad call...I'm saying it should have been looked at...

Plus the helmet toss occurred during the play...which means they should have maintained possession anyways...kind of like roughing the passer...

They needed to huddle together and get things situated at the end...when Pittsburgh rushed on the field and kneeled the ball and there was no review or anything I was friggin' shocked.

A little drunk, but shocked nonetheless.

Either way, great Super Bowl...two years in a row, can't argue with the final product.

Danman
02-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Very exciting Superbowl. Each team had 2 elements the chiefs do not:
1. Oustanding QB - We need to make this our #1 priority. Their were no "game managers." Both teams made plays with their QB.
2. Ability to rush QB - between the game and watching all the DT highlight videos last week, I really miss seeing the Chiefs get sacks.

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 06:55 AM
One of the best I can remember, last years was good but it was kind of overshadowed by the gravity of the Patriots season and loosing the SB.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Nothing screams douchebag more than your avatar.

Direckshun
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
1. Giants beating Patriots.
2. Namath.
3. Rams winning by 1 yard.
4. This game.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I think that a lot of "classic" Super Bowls are remembered as such because of last-second field goals and individual drives or quarters that define them. Last year's Super Bowl had some good defense but the only really exciting part was the drive that included The Catch II.

I think this was one of the best cover-to-cover Super Bowls ever. There wasn't really one defining moment; rather, there was a series of incredible moments that culminated in a fantastic game of football. The play by both sides of both teams was top notch.

What are some other Super Bowls that were truly great games from start to finish, and how do you think this one compares?

It's called the Helmet Catch, not The Catch II..... and that Tennessee game where Dyson was one yard short... that was freaking amazing. I remember there was a huge snow storm that day, and i ddin't have cable in my bedroom, so it was cutting in and out and was snowy during the whole thing. Almost missed the ending....

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
It's called the Helmet Catch, not The Catch II..... and that Tennessee game where Dyson was one yard short... that was freaking amazing. I remember there was a huge snow storm that day, and i ddin't have cable in my bedroom, so it was cutting in and out and was snowy during the whole thing. Almost missed the ending....

that was the most boring Super Bowl on the planet.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:55 AM
that was the most boring Super Bowl on the planet.

One of the best endings of a SB... and like I said, I missed most of the game, left a party early because of the weather, and almost missed the ending because of bad reception. The part I saw was awesome.

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Best Super Bowls ever were:

Super Bowl 24 - Joe Montana and Jerry Rice where the rubber meets the road
Super Bowl 32 - after 13 years of dominance the AFC finally wins the Super Bowl again in a barn burner
Super Bowl 3 - First AFL win in what would be called the Super Bowl

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
One of the best endings of a SB... and like I said, I missed most of the game, left a party early because of the weather, and almost missed the ending because of bad reception. The part I saw was awesome.

It was terrible to watch. Half the east coast didn't even see it. And Ray Lewis was involved with double murder that night. Good times.

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
The last qtr was fun to watch.

The half time and commericals were the suck

MahiMike
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
It woulda been had the Cardinals won. As it is, it's just another ring for the hated Steelers.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
It woulda been had the Cardinals won. As it is, it's just another ring for the hated Steelers.

It looked like the owner didn't even give a shit.