PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs unlikely to switch to 3-4 Defense

rrl308
02-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Chiefs Unlikely To Switch To A 3-4 Scheme On Defense

Although there has been talk about the Chiefs switching to a 3-4 defensive alignment with the arrival of GM Scott Pioli, it’s unlikely that the unit’s current personnel will allow K.C. to make that change. The team lacks a true space-eating nose tackle up front, and it doesn’t have four starting-caliber linebackers on its roster. A move to the 3-4 probably would require a complete overhaul of the defense, which seems to be a long shot.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Chiefaholic
02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
An overhaul of the LB's won't be a problem, because the loss of everybody outside Johnson is inevitable. On the D-Line we have Dorsey and an underachieving Hali. Keep Dorsey and Johnson.... Everybody else is replacebale anyway.

OnTheWarpath15
02-01-2009, 10:51 PM
A move to the 3-4 probably would require a complete overhaul of the defense, which seems to be a long shot.

Unlike the complete overhaul required to continue running a 4-3?

DaWolf
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM

This...

Bowser
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
No shit? You mean the thought process of "we really need to run this scheme, even if we don't have the right coaches or personnel to run it?" metality is gone? Wow, I may just have to get tickets again next year.....

cdcox
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Beat me to it.

Flowers is an above average corner that could develop further.
Carr is average and could develop further or regress.
Page is average.
DJ is average.

After that we have some players with potential (Dorsey and Tank).

I can't believe the state of our defense this many years, coaches, and draft picks after it was well known to be a weakness (2002).

beach tribe
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
No shit? You mean the thought process of "we really need to run this scheme, even if we don't have the right coaches or personnel to run it?" metality is gone? Wow, I may just have to get tickets again next year.....

I'm pretty sure we could run a 3-4 with our current personnel, and achieve equal, if not better performance than the joke we executed last season.

Bowser
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure we could run a 3-4 with our current personnel, and achieve equal, if not better performance than the joke we executed last season.

That ain't saying much.....

I, for one, don't see the problem with Dorsey being a DE in the 3-4. He couldn't be more out of position than the way the used him last year.

Fat Elvis
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM

I think you could run squirrels hopped up on coffee and achieve equal, if not better performance than the joke we executed last season....

whoman69
02-01-2009, 11:02 PM
It makes more sense for me for the coach to decide which scheme they want to use and to pass that info along to the GM to get players to fit that scheme. That said, our front seven is in no way ready for 3-4, though I think Hali would switch to LB in that scheme. I don't see him being particularly successful at the switch. Dorsey might play end, as speed for 3-4 lineman isn't paramount. With linebackers being a weakness right now, its just too much to expect to replace that many players.

eazyb81
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
We might not go to a 3-4 100% of the time in the first year, but come on, let's use some common sense.

Every team that Pioli has worked with in his NFL career ran the 3-4, and he has experienced quite a bit of success with it.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to think that maybe.....just maybe....he knows the 3-4 better and feels the scheme is superior.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
It wouldnt break my heart I am not a fan of the 3-4.

FAX
02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Chiefs Unlikely To Switch To A 3-4 Scheme On Defense

Although there has been talk about the Chiefs switching to a 3-4 defensive alignment with the arrival of GM Scott Pioli, it’s unlikely that the unit’s current personnel will allow K.C. to make that change. The team lacks a true space-eating nose tackle up front, and it doesn’t have four starting-caliber linebackers on its roster. A move to the 3-4 probably would require a complete overhaul of the defense, which seems to be a long shot.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Well, that makes a whole lot of sense, Mr. rrl308. Unlike Herm's "1973 Square Peg/Round Gap" approach, what we need to do is exactly what these folks are implying - formulate a base defensive formation and overall strategy predicated on our existing talent. Thanks for posting.

Let's see ... that would be the 1-1-1 defense.

FAX

beach tribe
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
That ain't saying much.....

I, for one, don't see the problem with Dorsey being a DE in the 3-4. He couldn't be more out of position than the way the used him last year.

I think he would make a damn good 3-4DE if you ask me.

cdcox
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
It makes more sense for me for the coach to decide which scheme they want to use and to pass that info along to the GM to get players to fit that scheme. That said, our front seven is in no way ready for 3-4, though I think Hali would switch to LB in that scheme. I don't see him being particularly successful at the switch. Dorsey might play end, as speed for 3-4 lineman isn't paramount. With linebackers being a weakness right now, its just too much to expect to replace that many players.

This is still a 2 or 3 year rebuild even if we are more active in FA. We have all the time in the world to get the players for any scheme the brain trust wants to run.

FAX
02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Truly said, Mr. cdcox. Our rebuild is just beginning.

We have a few pieces, but we're very far from just needing the 2 to 3 players on defense and 2 players on offense that "Get Over It" was spouting on about at the end of the season. One could argue that it's the exact opposite.

FAX

Hammock Parties
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
This is still a 2 or 3 year rebuild even if we are more active in FA. We have all the time in the world to get the players for any scheme the brain trust wants to run.

This can't be true. Herm says we are 85 percent done.

BryanBusby
02-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I'd say if the Chiefs land a DC like Crennel, they will run more of a hybrid 3-4/4-3 D until all the pieces are in place to full-time the 3-4.

cdcox
02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
This can't be true. Herm says we are 85 percent done.

Herm's words can't hurt me anymore.

Hammock Parties
02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Herm's words can't hurt me anymore.

I'm sorry. I should stop talking about he who shall not be named.

Wilson8
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Hopefully we will know more in the next few days when a head coach is announced and then the coordinators. I think that Romeo Crennel is a real possibility and I agree with Mr. Busby we could see a defensive blend next year.

A lot of people have said that we need to draft a defensive end but if we go to a 3-4 then maybe we draft a big DT for the middle.