PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So much for "You need to establish the run to win in the NFL"

FloridaMan88
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Pittsburgh had 58 yards rushing last night, with a 2.2 YPC average. Arizona made the Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense in the league.

Just food for thought as the Chiefs potentially complete the transition to an aggressive pass-oriented offense this offseason.

mylittlepony
02-02-2009, 08:57 AM
One could argue that if Pittsburg would have been able to run the ball they would have killed the clock and never even made the comback possible.

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 08:57 AM
The one rule that continues to hold is 'Defense Wins Championships.'

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Pittsburgh had 58 yards rushing last night, with a 2.2 YPC average. Arizona made the Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense in the league.

Just food for thought as the Chiefs potentially complete the transition to an aggressive pass-oriented offense this offseason.

And by the way, the Steelers are the anti-Chiefs. Awesome defense, offense gets it done when it needs to, they win close games.....

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
One could argue that if Pittsburg would have been able to run the ball they would have killed the clock and never even made the comback possible.

One could argue that because Arizona couldn't run the ball, they couldn't kill the clock and gave the extra time to Pittsburgh.

blaise
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Getting as many good players as possible, that play hard instead of being turds, and that play smart, wins championships regardless of what type of system you run.

Bearcat
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Eh, it's all about balance. You can make up for not having a running game if you have the #1 rush defense and #2 pass defense in the league, or Warner-Fitz-Boldin-Breaston, or Peyton Manning or whatever.

I'd guess that there might be a higher correlation between teams that are in the top ten in rushing/stopping the rush and make the playoffs than teams that pass/stop the pass and make the playoffs (meaning you would have to really excel in another department), but there are so many other variables that it probably doesn't really matter.

Also, the two teams that have defied that logic and were on the horrid end of the spectrum of rushing (Arizona's <80 ypg rushing) and defending the run ('06 Indy's 180 ypg against) in the last few years, yet made the Super Bowl, overcame their awfulness in the playoffs. Arizona ran for about 20 ypg more than their regular season average in their playoff wins, and the Colts allowed 80+ fewer yards per game in their playoff wins.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Well here's another thing, Pittsburgh employs a variation of the Cover-2 defense, and just won the Super Bowl, despite many people saying that the Cover-2 was dying...

Brock
02-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Well here's another thing, Pittsburgh employs a variation of the Cover-2 defense, and just won the Super Bowl, despite many people saying that the Cover-2 was dying...

They ran the cover 2 most of the game, in fact.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM

They ran the cover 2 most of the game, in fact.

Probably would explain why they gave up almost 400 passing yards and almost lost the game.

Thanks Ben and Santonio!

Brock
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Probably would explain why they gave up almost 400 passing yards and almost lost the game.

Thanks Ben and Santonio!

If they had played bump on Fitzgerald, they probably would have lost by 14.

beach tribe
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
One could argue that because Arizona couldn't run the ball, they couldn't kill the clock and gave the extra time to Pittsburgh.

So in essence, if either of these teams had been able to run the ball, they would have won.

pikesome
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks Ben and Santonio!

And with a collection of defensive talent that makes OC's children wake up screaming at night.

suds79
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM

I hate this phrase. I don't think there's a more tired, worn out phrase than this.

IMO, well balanced teams win championships.

As tough has Pitts D was this year what did Pitt need in the end to win it? Offense. Otherwise they wouldn't be SB champions.

Simply put you've got to be good on both sides of the ball.

RedThat
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Im not one to by into those kinda stats.

Imo, a really well rounded team is solid in all aspects and phases of the game.

Your chances of success are far greater if your team has the capability of doing it all. You have to Run the ball, pass the ball, stop the run, stop the pass. You need to do everything. And if you can do everything your team is gonna be tough to stop. That is how I perceive success. My version of success anyway on how a really good football team is built.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
It pains my heart to see an otherwise intelligent football fan start a thread with one of the most ridiculous titles and theories I've ever seen.

What the fuck happened?

Who got more ground last night? Pittsburgh. Who won? Pittsburgh. Tell me the Chargers didn't need a running game in their sub-zero outing with Pittsburgh.
Yeah, if we're gonna' play in the nice, mild tropical weather all year, sure!
Not trying to be a dick here, but there ARE some fundamental concepts in this game that will NEVER be obsolete.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM

I hate this phrase. I don't think there's a more tired, worn out phrase than this.

IMO, well balanced teams win championships.

As tough has Pitts D was this year what did Pitt need in the end to win it? Offense. Otherwise they wouldn't be SB champions.

Simply put you've got to be good on both sides of the ball.

Defense doesn't win shit! All you have to have is a great offense and great offense-minded Head Coach like Dick Verm...er...nevermind.

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Not last night. Pittsburgh won that game with offense. Other than the Harrison interception their defense played pretty poorly.