PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why isn't this Defensive Coordinator a candidate for head coach?

kcbubb
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Coordinator

I know he is old (71), but it seems like one of the best defensive coordinators in the history of the game would be mentioned as a possible head coach for a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Here's a little bit of info on LeBeau:

Charles Richard “Dick” LeBeau (born September 9, 1937 in London, Ohio) is a former football player and is currently the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator. He spent 14 years in the NFL as a player and is in his 36th as a coach. Considered an “innovator” and “defensive football genius”, LeBeau created the ‘zone blitz’ when he was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals in the late 1980s.

Contents

* 1 Playing career
* 2 Coaching career
* 3 Personal life
* 4 References
* 5 External Links

Playing career

LeBeau attended Ohio State University, playing for famed coach Woody Hayes, and was on the 1957 national championship team, playing at cornerback and halfback. Also in 1957, playing both sides of the ball, he scored two touchdowns as Ohio State came back to beat Michigan 31-14.

He was initially drafted in the fifth round in 1959 by the Cleveland Browns but was cut from their team, and was signed as a rookie free agent by the Detroit Lions. He spent his entire 14 year NFL career with them as a defensive back, teamed during the early part of that run with Dick "Night Train" Lane and Yale Lary, and later with Lem Barney. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 1965 through 1967. He was a leading interceptor, with 62 career interceptions for 762 return yards and 3 touchdowns, and holds the NFL record for consecutive game appearances for a cornerback with 171. He also recovered 9 fumbles, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown.

Coaching career

“ Dick LeBeau is arguably the best ever to coach defense. … He has done it on such a consistent basis over a long period of time.”

—Ron Jaworski, ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback.

After retirement as a player, LeBeau became an NFL coach. The following teams hired him as an assistant:

* Philadelphia Eagles (1973-1975)
* Green Bay Packers (1976-1979)
* Cincinnati Bengals (1980-1991), (1997-2002) - Won 1981 and 1988 AFC Championships and 3 AFC Central Division Championships (1981, 1988, and 1990)
* Pittsburgh Steelers (1992-1996), (2004-present) - Won 4 AFC Central Division Championships (1992 and 1994-96), 3 AFC North Division Championships (2004, 2007, and 2008), 3 AFC Championships (1995, 2005, and 2008),Super Bowl XL, and Super Bowl XLIII.
* Buffalo Bills (2003)

Also, LeBeau was the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals for three seasons, from 2000 through 2002.
“It was a thought process kind of born out of necessity. It was basically an outcropping of the run-and-shoot [offense] that was becoming pretty prevalent in the league back then. We were in the same division as Houston, and they were tremendous at it with Moon and Co. Then the West Coast offense was spreading throughout the league. Those were all quick-rhythm, get-the-ball-out-of-your-hands-and-cut-up-the-defense types of passing games. We were just looking for ways to get pressure without exposing our defensive backs to have to cover the whole field all of the time.”

—Dick LeBeau, on the origin of the ‘zone blitz’.

As an assistant coach he is credited with inventing the "Fire Zone" or "zone blitz" defense, which employs unpredictable pass rushes and pass coverage from various players.His defenses typically employ 3-4 sets, with any of the 4 linebackers and frequently a defensive back among the pass rushers, while defensive linemen may drop back into short pass coverage zones to compensate for the pass rush coming from other positions. The design is intended to confuse the opposition's quarterback and frustrate its blocking schemes, as the offense may be unsure on each play of which defenders will rush the passer and which will drop into coverage. While often described as a "blitzing" scheme (implying more than the typical number of four pass rushers used by most defenses), the call on any particular "zone blitz" play may involve only three or four pass rushers but from unpredictable positions and angles. Although widely considered a defensive innovator, his stint as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals was unsuccessful.

LeBeau is beloved among his players, many of whom refer to him as "Coach Dad." The Steelers players have given him many gifts, including a Rolex watch.

LeBeau was named "Coordinator of the year" by the Sporting News for the 2008 season.

missinDThomas
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Everything I heard about this guy is he wants to retire. He's ready to hang up coaching period.

CoMoChief
02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Because hes way too fucking old.

Bowser
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Because hes way too fucking old.

That, and he sucked when he was head coach of the Bengals.

talastan
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
IIRC he has been quoted as saying that he'll either be retiring or continue as DC for the Steelers. Said he doesn't want to be a HC.

DaKCMan AP
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Another stupid idea from our resident n00b idiot.

HC_Chief
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
IIRC he has been quoted as saying that he'll either be retiring or continue as DC for the Steelers. Said he doesn't want to be a HC.

Yep. He's one of those rare people that knows the role he is best suited to and chooses to stay there and be the best at it. Probably why the Steeler defense is so g'damned good (having great players helps)

kcbubb
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Another stupid idea from our resident n00b idiot.

I love you too. I know. Why would I even consider talking the best defensive coordinator in the game out of retirement?? Stupid idea.

Rooster
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I love you too. I know. Why would I even consider talking the best defensive coordinator in the game out of retirement?? Stupid idea.

Yes it was stupid.

svuba
02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Or how about theses guys?

Y. A. Tittle
Alive
Born: 10/24/1926

Full name: Yelberton Abraham Tittle
Noted For: NFL quarterback; Baltimore Colts (1948-50), San Francisco 49ers (1951-60), New York Giants (1961-64). NFL Most Valuable Player (1963). Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Hame (1971).

This guy is a little older, but definitely a legend:
John Wooden
Alive
Born: 10/14/1910

Noted For: basketball player and coach. Played for NCAA Purdue (1930-32) and two NBA teams (1937-39). Coach for NCAA UCLA (1948-75). Coached teams to seven consecutive national championships (1966-73). Enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame (as a player, 1961; as a coach, 1973).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/11/eveningnews/main2174447.shtml

"When I went overseas in December, 1917," World War I veteran Frank Buckles says, "I was 16 years old."

Now 105 years old, Buckles is a bit hard of hearing, but sharp as a tack, and fit. He still does 50 sit-ups each morning. And he still shows the same determination he had as a teenager—who lied about his age so he could go to war.

DeezNutz
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
You people just hate defense.

If you didn't you'd be serious about the possibility of hooking up a life-support system on the sideline and making sure that LeBeau's old balls stay warm during a game.

DaKCMan AP
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Better yet, why don't you go dig up Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi. Surely one of them will agree to coach. Moron.

RustShack
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Coordinator

I know he is old (71), but it seems like one of the best defensive coordinators in the history of the game would be mentioned as a possible head coach for a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Here's a little bit of info on LeBeau:

Charles Richard “Dick” LeBeau (born September 9, 1937 in London, Ohio) is a former football player and is currently the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator. He spent 14 years in the NFL as a player and is in his 36th as a coach. Considered an “innovator” and “defensive football genius”, LeBeau created the ‘zone blitz’ when he was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals in the late 1980s.

Contents

* 1 Playing career
* 2 Coaching career
* 3 Personal life
* 4 References
* 5 External Links

Playing career

LeBeau attended Ohio State University, playing for famed coach Woody Hayes, and was on the 1957 national championship team, playing at cornerback and halfback. Also in 1957, playing both sides of the ball, he scored two touchdowns as Ohio State came back to beat Michigan 31-14.

He was initially drafted in the fifth round in 1959 by the Cleveland Browns but was cut from their team, and was signed as a rookie free agent by the Detroit Lions. He spent his entire 14 year NFL career with them as a defensive back, teamed during the early part of that run with Dick "Night Train" Lane and Yale Lary, and later with Lem Barney. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 1965 through 1967. He was a leading interceptor, with 62 career interceptions for 762 return yards and 3 touchdowns, and holds the NFL record for consecutive game appearances for a cornerback with 171. He also recovered 9 fumbles, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown.

Coaching career

“ Dick LeBeau is arguably the best ever to coach defense. … He has done it on such a consistent basis over a long period of time.”

—Ron Jaworski, ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback.

After retirement as a player, LeBeau became an NFL coach. The following teams hired him as an assistant:

* Philadelphia Eagles (1973-1975)
* Green Bay Packers (1976-1979)
* Cincinnati Bengals (1980-1991), (1997-2002) - Won 1981 and 1988 AFC Championships and 3 AFC Central Division Championships (1981, 1988, and 1990)
* Pittsburgh Steelers (1992-1996), (2004-present) - Won 4 AFC Central Division Championships (1992 and 1994-96), 3 AFC North Division Championships (2004, 2007, and 2008), 3 AFC Championships (1995, 2005, and 2008),Super Bowl XL, and Super Bowl XLIII.
* Buffalo Bills (2003)

Also, LeBeau was the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals for three seasons, from 2000 through 2002.
“It was a thought process kind of born out of necessity. It was basically an outcropping of the run-and-shoot [offense] that was becoming pretty prevalent in the league back then. We were in the same division as Houston, and they were tremendous at it with Moon and Co. Then the West Coast offense was spreading throughout the league. Those were all quick-rhythm, get-the-ball-out-of-your-hands-and-cut-up-the-defense types of passing games. We were just looking for ways to get pressure without exposing our defensive backs to have to cover the whole field all of the time.”

—Dick LeBeau, on the origin of the ‘zone blitz’.

As an assistant coach he is credited with inventing the "Fire Zone" or "zone blitz" defense, which employs unpredictable pass rushes and pass coverage from various players.His defenses typically employ 3-4 sets, with any of the 4 linebackers and frequently a defensive back among the pass rushers, while defensive linemen may drop back into short pass coverage zones to compensate for the pass rush coming from other positions. The design is intended to confuse the opposition's quarterback and frustrate its blocking schemes, as the offense may be unsure on each play of which defenders will rush the passer and which will drop into coverage. While often described as a "blitzing" scheme (implying more than the typical number of four pass rushers used by most defenses), the call on any particular "zone blitz" play may involve only three or four pass rushers but from unpredictable positions and angles. Although widely considered a defensive innovator, his stint as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals was unsuccessful.

LeBeau is beloved among his players, many of whom refer to him as "Coach Dad." The Steelers players have given him many gifts, including a Rolex watch.

LeBeau was named "Coordinator of the year" by the Sporting News for the 2008 season.

Please never start another thread, you have never had anything good to say. :doh!:

missinDThomas
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Please never start another thread, you have never had anything good to say. :doh!:

ROFL

Rooster
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Better yet, why don't you go dig up Bill Walsh,

ROFLROFL

RustShack
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Great OC's/DC's don't always equal good HC's.

kcbubb
02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Great OC's/DC's don't always equal good HC's.

very true... but I just find it interesting that I haven't heard of him being mentioned. He's obviously qualified. He may be too old. But he may consider the Chiefs young roster as an opportunity.

J Diddy
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Weren't you the guy who started a thread about trading dorsey?

Brock
02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Buddy Ryan is available.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
don't let 'em get you down
if you think they're taking turns now
-have you ever seen a grown man naked

kc rush
02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I say pull this guy out of the college ranks. He has a successful track record there. Plus, he knows how to work with Larry Johnson.

http://messengerpuppet.com/Gettingsmallertogetbigger_9317/JoePaterno.jpg

RustShack
02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Weren't you the guy who started a thread about trading dorsey?

Negative.

RustShack
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
very true... but I just find it interesting that I haven't heard of him being mentioned. He's obviously qualified. He may be too old. But he may consider the Chiefs young roster as an opportunity.

If your that old and still a DC there is a reason. I'm not saying we need a 30 year old coach, but we need someone a lot younger than him.

J Diddy
02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I say pull this guy out of the college ranks. He has a successful track record there. Plus, he knows how to work with Larry Johnson.

http://messengerpuppet.com/Gettingsmallertogetbigger_9317/JoePaterno.jpg

You better get off Joe Pa. In that pic he's flipping you off because you're making fun of him.

Rausch
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
If your that old and still a DC there is a reason. I'm not saying we need a 30 year old coach, but we need someone a lot younger than him.

I seem to remember a few years ago him saying he didn't want to leave Pit again. Seemed to have a Gun-like loyalty there.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
He's 71 years old.

Not exactly your ideal candidate.

Furthermore, this has been a topic in the past, with the same result.

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
He could be a HC if he wanted to, but why should he want to. That's a lot of work for a guy his age.

FloridaMan88
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
He was the head coach for the Bengals a few years back and it was a disaster

Crush
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
If you refuse to learn history, then you are doomed to repeat it.

Source: http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/04080040