PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs get permission to interview Haley...

DaWolf
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Three weeks after hiring Scott Pioli as general manager, and almost two after firing Herm Edwards, the Chiefs are still looking for a head coach.

That fact indicates Pioli was waiting to speak with a particular candidate — and, evidently, he is Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley. With Arizona’s season concluding with last weekend’s Super Bowl, the Chiefs received permission from the Cardinals to interview Haley for their head coaching vacancy, sources said.

The interview could happen as soon as today.

Haley, who turns 42 on Feb. 28, gained prominence this year as the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator. In his second season with Arizona, the Cardinals won the NFC West championship for the first time.

They did it on the strength of one of the league’s most dangerous offenses. Arizona finished tied for third in the NFL in scoring, fourth in total offense and second in passing yardage. The Cardinals set a franchise record by scoring 427 points.

The Cardinals were then surprise participants in the Super Bowl, again relying on a high-scoring offense. Arizona scored at least 30 points in each of its three NFC playoff games before Sunday’s 27-23 loss to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Arizona was 12th in total offense in Haley’s first season as offensive coordinator and fifth in passing yardage. The Cardinals scored 404 points, third highest in team history.

Haley began his coaching career in 1996 as an offensive assistant coach with the Jets. Pioli and Haley worked together in New York from 1997 through 1999, with Pioli as the director of pro personnel and Haley as the wide receivers coach.

The two then went their separate ways. Pioli followed Bill Belichick to New England, where the Patriots won three Super Bowl championships.

Haley moved on to coach wide receivers for the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys before joining the Cardinals last year.

He also spent 1995 as a scout for the Jets.

Haley grew up in a football family. He is the son of Dick Haley, the longtime personnel director for the Steelers and New York Jets and now a scout for the Miami Dolphins.

The Chiefs were hoping to announce their new head coach later this week.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1016506.html

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/02/03/22/781-haley_with_ball_02-04-2009_JQ17NGF7.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Mr. Arrowhead
02-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Lets get this thing done

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't think the Cards won the AFC west.

talastan
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I'll LMAO if Haley is the smoke screen and Pioli has someone completely out of the blue ready to go.

nychief
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM

Well, neither did we....

RealSNR
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll LMAO if Haley is the smoke screen and Pioli has someone completely out of the blue ready to go.This entire time he's been on the phone with Bellichick.

"I'm telling you Bill, just leave. Nobody will care. The Patriots lose coaches all the time. You know that."

talastan
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
This entire time he's been on the phone with Bellichick.

"I'm telling you Bill, just leave. Nobody will care. The Patriots lose coaches all the time. You know that."

ROFL

Archie Bunker
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Finally some fire to go with all the smoke.

MVChiefFan
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, neither did we....

In fact, I think they were CLOSER to winning the AFC West than we were.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm ready to try a first timer NFL HC
in two years maybe not so much
if this one has to be replaced

CupidStunt
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Foregone conclusion.

Kylo Ren
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
It has begun..........

blueballs
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
He may send his twin Rainman
out to Hawaii to handle this
while he clears out Cowhers' house in Leawood

Mr. Laz
02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
so wait ......

according many people around here Pioli already has his head coach and all the assistants already in place and just hasn't announced it yet.

why the fuck is he talking to Haley now then and why didn't he talk to him a couple of weeks ago in the free time?

The Franchise
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
so wait ......

according many people around here Pioli already has his head coach and all the assistants already in place and just hasn't announced it yet.

why the fuck is he talking to Haley now then and why didn't he talk to him a couple of weeks ago in the free time?

So the media talking heads look smart for saying that he's in line for the head coaching job.

Shag
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
why the **** is he talking to Haley now then and why didn't he talk to him a couple of weeks ago in the free time?

Perhaps Haley didn't want to have a formal interview before the SB, in order to reduce the distraction to his team...

blueballs
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
He's been a coach in the NFL for years
and found time to make 5 kids
sounds like a slacker

Micjones
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Perhaps Haley didn't want to have a formal interview before the SB, in order to reduce the distraction to his team...

It was reported that Haley told his agent not to entertain any offers until after the Superbowl.

DaWolf
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Plus, if Pioli and Haley are true friends as is being reported, maybe Pioli is a stand up guy who doesn't want to force too many distractions on his friend. Reports are they spoke via telephone anyway. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

I still can't forget that USC decided to interview and hire Paul Hackett prior to the Chiefs 1997 playoff game against the Donx. He spent the entire bye week splitting time between putting a staff together and calling recruits and putting a game plan together, and it showed in the playoff game where A) The playcalling was stale, and B) we were unprepared for the two minute drill.

Pioli would have been taking the high road by waiting...

ChiefRon
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
so wait ......

why the **** is he talking to Haley now then and why didn't he talk to him a couple of weeks ago in the free time?

It's a formality, if Haley is his guy, they've already had conversations.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
i still remember some dumbass around here telling me that the delaying finding a coach wasn't a problem witht he Senior Bowl or the draft because Pioli already knew the coach he wanted and what kind of players he was gonna need.

bullshit ... he's still actively searching

Mr. Laz
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
It's a formality, if Haley is his guy, they've already had conversations.
so you're saying the Pioli broke league rules and talked to Haley before he got permission.

Pioli is gonna pull a Peterson and have to pay a draft pick to Arizona like Carl did to St. Louis?

btw why did you put IF ...... if it's such a done deal?

CupidStunt
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
so you're saying the Pioli broke league rules and talked to Haley before he got permission.

Zero rule that says a GM and OC -- documented friends -- can't talk on the telephone.

DaWolf
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Pioli is gonna pull a Peterson and have to pay a draft pick to Arizona like Carl did to St. Louis?

This is a good point. I'm not sure what conversations could take place over the phone if permission had not been received prior to this. It may be that Haley is the first of a few people who are being considered.

Then again, the Chiefs may have recieved permission three weeks ago and Teicher is just now finding out. Who knows...

ChiefRon
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM

done deal? No.

I'm saying if Haley is his guy, they've already had conversations. Maybe yesterday, to gauge his interest. Maybe they did talk during SB week, and agreed there was mutual interest, and Pioli told him he would be in further contact after SB.

Who the hell knows?

Maybe it is a smoke screen.

Nobody really knows, keeps it interesting to say the least.

petegz28
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Damn it, you beat me to it! :cuss:

Donger
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
sounds like a slacker

That only takes about five minutes total.

petegz28
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Someone buy Teicher another shot. The Cards did not win the AFC West. And what is this "the Chiefs WERE plannning on announcing their new head coach later this week"?

Does that mean they aren't now?

dirk digler
02-03-2009, 04:46 PM

speak for yourself :D

Donger
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
speak for yourself :D

I approached making babies like an engineer. Pleasure was not required.

CoMoChief
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The Cardinals won the AFC West

Jesus ****in Christ Teicher is awful....

Correct that....and so is the editor who didn't catch that OBVIOUS error.

dirk digler
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I approached making babies like an engineer. Pleasure was not required.

What? If you are going to put in the work you might as well enjoy it.

Red Dawg
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
O.K., Now we're talking. Thank god there was something positive today. I can sleep tonight.

Donger
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
What? If you are going to put in the work you might as well enjoy it.

Making babies is work. F*cking is fun.

FloridaMan88
02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Something seems a little odd about the rumored time-frame that makes me believe Todd Haley isn't necessarily a lock. If the Chiefs haven't even interviewed him yet... but plan to have a head coach in place by the end of this week... that seems like a lot must happen with Todd Haley in the next 2-3 days.

What if the interview with Haley doesn't go well? Are the Chiefs still planning on hiring a coach by the end of this week? Does this mean the Chiefs have someone else in mind (Shanahan?) and are going to interview Haley just to cover their bases? Is this another smoke-screen by Pioli?

PastorMikH
02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Something seems a little odd about the rumored time-frame that makes me believe Todd Haley isn't necessarily a lock. If the Chiefs haven't even interviewed him yet... but plan to have a head coach in place by the end of this week... that seems like a lot must happen with Todd Haley in the next 2-3 days.

What if the interview with Haley doesn't go well? Are the Chiefs still planning on hiring a coach by the end of this week? Does this mean the Chiefs have someone else in mind (Shanahan?) and are going to interview Haley just to cover their bases? Is this another smoke-screen by Pioli?

Unless all the "Chit Chat among friends" wasn't just chatting about the weather and kids. It's possible that if Haley is the pick, a lot of discussion has already taken place and they just need the formal interview for looks and signing.

CupidStunt
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Something seems a little odd about the rumored time-frame that makes me believe Todd Haley isn't necessarily a lock.

I think you're looking at it wrong.

They've already interviewed Gailey. Probably also interviewed three or four other candidates, including a minority, such as Todd Bowles. Now comes the final candidate in the next day or two -- a guy they're actually now allowed to interview -- and after that they'll decide over a couple days between the bunch who's best for the job and then announce it on Friday, over the weekend or early next week.

All looks pretty straight-forward to me.

bevis369
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
:Elvis:or :homer: are the sleepers

teedubya
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE.

seaofred
02-03-2009, 05:32 PM
It's about time we hear something.... Can't wait for Friday....

jAZ
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Pioli is a smart guy.

He can talk to his friend Haley, but Haley couldn't talk to the "Chiefs" without permission. Pioli and Haley didn't want to cause an unwanted and uncessary distraction during superbowl week, so the Chiefs never asked for permission and until they did the two sides never "talked".

Just a couple of old friend shootin' the s*it, nothing official.

Now they have permission. Things fall into place.

aturnis
02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
sounds like a slacker

3 of them are mine.

aturnis
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM

You REALLY want Shanahan don't you? You don't think Pioli and Haley have already talked? Get a clue.

Sure-Oz
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Well atleast we'll know by friday

R&GHomer
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Plus, if Pioli and Haley are true friends as is being reported, maybe Pioli is a stand up guy who doesn't want to force too many distractions on his friend. Reports are they spoke via telephone anyway. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

I still can't forget that USC decided to interview and hire Paul Hackett prior to the Chiefs 1997 playoff game against the Donx. He spent the entire bye week splitting time between putting a staff together and calling recruits and putting a game plan together, and it showed in the playoff game where A) The playcalling was stale, and B) we were unprepared for the two minute drill.

Pioli would have been taking the high road by waiting...

I had blocked that crap from my memory.... Thanks, Thanks a :Dlot!

Micjones
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Not certain this will all be wrapped up by Friday.

At this point... I'm in no rush for them to make a decision.
Take your time with it and do what you feel is best for the organization.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
3 of them are mimes.

flash of fantasy

keg in kc
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm shocked. Really. No, seriously. I swear.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Pioli is a smart guy.

He can talk to his friend Haley, but Haley couldn't talk to the "Chiefs" without permission. Pioli and Haley didn't want to cause an unwanted and uncessary distraction during superbowl week, so the Chiefs never asked for permission and until they did the two sides never "talked".

Just a couple of old friend shootin' the s*it, nothing official.

Now they have permission. Things fall into place.

which sounds amazingly similar to Peterson and Vermeil just "chatting" about the new head coaching job and we still got busted for it.

if he talked to Haley about a job .... he broke the rules

R&GHomer
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM

I doubt it. If Pioli and Haley are friends like it's been reported, one could reasonably assume they've had conversations about this scenario more than once. It only makes sense. To me anyway.

seaofred
02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
We won't ever know if they have already been talking, but if he is hired the same day he's interviewed or even the day after I would say it's a good chance they've talked about it already.

Craqhead
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Well atleast we'll know by friday

What is all the talk about Fri... I have seen others say sumthing about friday being the day.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Laz's vagina is acting up again

R&GHomer
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
which sounds amazingly similar to Peterson and Vermeil just "chatting" about the new head coaching job and we still got busted for it.

IMHO, Peterson played that like a moron. Although the situation at the time was a little different. Vermeil was retired and by all accounts didn't want to coach anymore and Person talked him out of it. At least that was the story at the time.

the Talking Can
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
so wait ......

do you wake up on the rag?

blueballs
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
We won't ever know if they have already been talking, but if he is hired the same day he's interviewed or even the day after I would say it's a good chance they've talked about it already.

is this shygums

seaofred
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
is this shygums

Do you guys question who ever new member is or am I just special? This is the second time someone on here has asked if I was so and so.... No I'm not shygums.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Do you guys question who ever new member is or am I just special? This is the second time someone on here has asked if I was so and so.... No I'm not shygums.

so you have no problem
baring your gums

seaofred
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
so you have no problem
baring your gums

Nice one. :clap:

Mr. Laz
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
do you wake up on the rag?
go fuck a goat ......... again

if you've already worn your fav out, then try the zoo.

MahiMike
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM

No, but they could have....

MahiMike
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
What is all the talk about Fri... I have seen others say sumthing about friday being the day.

Friday high noon was my guess on the pick-em thread.

Skip Towne
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I wonder who told Teicher about us getting permission. Is Arrowhead leaking information?

milkman
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Actually, this bears no resemblence to that situation.

Dick and Carl didn't simply chat.

Vermeil agreed to contract terms to become the Chiefs head coach, without any permission sought by Carl to discuss the job and offer it to him.

SAUTO
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I wonder who told Teicher about us getting permission. Is Arrowhead leaking information?

it was wpi i've heard but they cant tell us that for sure. the only sure thing is THE DEAL IS DONE

Mr. Arrowhead
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
it was wpi i've heard but they cant tell us that for sure. the only sure thing is THE DEAL IS DONE

Teicher must pay 109.95

SAUTO
02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Teicher must pay 109.95

nope he pulled a wpi original and stole itROFL

seaofred
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Shefter reported it on NFL newtwork.

whoman69
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM

For you and Al Bundy maybe.

BigRock
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM

We're doing things the Patriots Way now. To us, NFL rules are merely a suggestion.

Skip Towne
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Shefter reported it on NFL newtwork.

So who told Shefter? Maybe the Cards?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Since Haley is an OC, would the Chiefs even need the Cardinals permission to interview him for a promotion? I didn't think they did. Maybe I'm a dumbass. Something here regardless just doesn't add up.

BigRock
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
So who told Shefter? Maybe the Cards?

Or the league office.

DaWolf
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Since Haley is an OC, would the Chiefs even need the Cardinals permission to interview him for a promotion? I didn't think they did. Maybe I'm a dumbass. Something here regardless just doesn't add up.

Yeah because he's still under contract with Zona. The Cards could block a move if it wasn't a promotion...

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah because he's still under contract with Zona. The Cards could block a move if it wasn't a promotion...

Oh, so we're interviewing him to be Chan's OC. Now that is news.

Sam Hall
02-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm ready for this to be over. We probably aren't getting the home run hire we wanted. However, that worked out fine for the Ravens and Falcons.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm ready for this to be over. We probably aren't getting the home run hire we wanted. However, that worked out fine for the Ravens and Falcons.

I'm just worried we're going to get hit by the pitch. (Gailey)

You reach base, but you're not fucking happy about it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm just worried we're going to get hit by the pitch. (Gailey)

You reach base, but you're not fucking happy about it.

If we're asking for permission to interview Todd Haley, it's for a lateral move. This is pretty interesting.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
If we're asking for permission to interview Todd Haley, it's for a lateral move. This is pretty interesting.

:spock:

What makes you think that?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
:spock:

What makes you think that?

Why would we need their permission to talk to him if we're promoting him? I always thought you could interview anyone anytime if you were escalating them to a higher position.

Shag
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM

I don't think that's correct - I think you have to ask permission to interview anyone under contract.

The Jets asked the Ravens' permission to interview Rex Ryan, and the Rams asked permission to interview Spagnuolo.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Why would we need their permission to talk to him if we're promoting him? I always thought you could interview anyone anytime if you were escalating them to a higher position.

I've never actually read the collective bargaining agreement, so I'm not sure what the rule is. I just assumed that if an assistant is under contract, you have to receive permission to interview.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't think that's correct - I think you have to ask permission to interview anyone under contract.

The Jets asked the Ravens' permission to interview Rex Ryan, and the Rams asked permission to interview Spagnuolo.

I've never actually read the collective bargaining agreement, so I'm not sure what the rule is. I just assumed that if an assistant is under contract, you have to receive permission to interview.

Huh. Well, I guess I'll take my dumbass card now. I've always thought you could hire anyone if you were promoting them, whether their current employer liked it or not.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Huh. Well, I guess I'll take my dumbass card now. I've always thought you could hire anyone if you were promoting them, whether their current employer liked it or not.

Like I said, I'm assuming. I'm really not sure.

Either way, the whole thing is odd. There was no reason to wait this long to talk to them unless they have a backup plan.

Unfortunately, I think that backup plan is Gailey...

Sam Hall
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Speaking of lateral moves, that's how I perceive Gailey replacing Herm. At least Haley is a little exciting.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Either way, the whole thing is odd. There was no reason to wait this long to talk to them unless they have a backup plan.

I think Gailey is the guy. I really do. I've given up hope on the big 2, and there is no way we wait this long to interview Haley unless we really don't know what the fuck we're doing.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Speaking of lateral moves, that's how I perceive Gailey replacing Herm. At least Haley is a little exciting.

Honestly, I dislike Haley as a head coach so much, I'd rather have Gailey. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want Chan Gailey coaching the Chiefs. But I'd take him over Haley.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Gailey is a wasted year.

Gailey is who they hire when no one else takes the job.

Talk about suck the life right out of the fanbase.

Riding an epic high with the firing of Carl and Herm, and the DT induction, only to hire Chan fucking Gailey as HC because you couldn't talk anyone else into taking the job.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Gailey is a wasted year.

Riding an epic high with the firing of Carl and Herm, and the DT induction, only to hire Chan fucking Gailey as HC because you couldn't talk anyone else into taking the job.

I can't believe we can't get Mike Shanahan to take this job.

Shag
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM

I'm assuming, as well, but it seems to be the norm, regardless of how the actual rule is worded.

I still don't think it's a stretch to think that Haley didn't want to formally interview before the SB, simply to reduce the distraction to his team...

Shag
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Gailey is a wasted year.

Exactly. If Gailey was the guy they wanted, he'd already have the job. If he ends up getting it, it won't be because he was the first choice....

Sam Hall
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I think a lot of people cringed when Schwartz and Spagnuolo were hired while the Chiefs were talking to Pioli. I just didn't think it would come down to Chan Gailey.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't believe we can't get Mike Shanahan to take this job.

I can't believe we can't seem to get anyone worth a shit to take this job.

Every coach I would have gotten excited about has already taken another job, or apparently can't be bought.

I guess they'll save me some money this year, I was planning on getting my season tickets back. Not going to bother if it's Gailey - and probably won't if it's Haley.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Exactly. If Gailey was the guy they wanted, he'd already have the job. If he ends up getting it, it won't be because he was the first choice....

Yeah, it would be because he was about the 10th...

More and more reason I'm starting to think that Haley was 9th on the list.

When Spagnuolo, Schwartz, McDaniel and Ryan took other jobs, and Shanahan and Cowher laughed at us, Haley was last man standing.

Congrats, you were dead last on our list.

Wanna job?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I can't believe we can't seem to get anyone worth a shit to take this job.

Every coach I would have gotten excited about has already taken another job, or apparently can't be bought.

I guess they'll save me some money this year, I was planning on getting my season tickets back. Not going to bother if it's Gailey - and probably won't if it's Haley.

When Spagnuolo, Schwartz, McDaniel and Ryan took other jobs, and Shanahan and Cowher laughed at us, Haley was last man standing.

Wanna job?

Every day looks more and more like this is our exact fucking scenario. So fucking gross.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Every day looks more and more like this is our exact fucking scenario. So fucking gross.

I can only hope SP shocks the shit out of us, and pulls a rabbit out of his ass.

Sam Hall
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm sure negotiations with someone like Pioli are complex, but it took too long to hire him:(

talastan
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah because we could've gotten a HC in hurry like Cleveland and hoped to find a lame duck GM. Sorry waiting for Pioli was worth it IMO. I have faith in Pioli that he has his plan in place and is working on it.

Sam Hall
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah because we could've gotten a HC in hurry like Cleveland and hoped to find a lame duck GM. Sorry waiting for Pioli was worth it IMO. I have faith in Pioli that he has his plan in place and is working on it.

The Rams were ready to decide on their head coach when Pioli was hired. Maybe the Chiefs get Spagnuolo if Pioli is hired a few days earlier.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm fine with taking the time to hire Pioli, because I think a GM is in many ways much more important than a HC.

But taking 2 fucking weeks to fire a guy that went 6-26 - while the best candidates are taking other jobs - is frustrating - especially when you see the way this is playing out.

I think Pioli thought he could get Shanahan or Cowher, and when that went south, he had nothing to fall back on other than Haley and Gailey.

DaWolf
02-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to ask for permission if a guy is under contract, regardless of the position you want to interview them for. If we were interviewing for a lateral move, Arizona could block that. They couldn't block it if we are interviewing for head coach...

kcxiv
02-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm fine with taking the time to hire Pioli, because I think a GM is in many ways much more important than a HC.

But taking 2 ****ing weeks to fire a guy that went 6-26 - while the best candidates are taking other jobs - is frustrating - especially when you see the way this is playing out.

I think Pioli thought he could get Shanahan or Cowher, and when that went south, he had nothing to fall back on other than Haley and Gailey.

How do we really know if it went south or not? No one knows a fucking thing at this point.

I still think Cowher may be the guy in the end. lol

Chiefshrink
02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
We're doing things the Patriots Way now. To us, NFL rules are merely a suggestion.

Very much like the tax law doesn't apply to the DemsROFL

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
How do we really know if it went south or not? No one knows a fucking thing at this point.

I still think Cowher may be the guy in the end. lol

If that's the case, (Cowher) why waste Haley's time (and yours) to interview him?

penguinz
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Crush
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Indeed.

ChiefsCountry
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Wanna job?

Wow I never expected this from you.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow I never expected this from you.

Eh, I'm kinda playing around, but kinda serious.

I'll support whoever they hire.

But they won't be seeing any money from me if it's Gailey, and likely won't be if it's Haley.

Boris The Great
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM

More and more reason Im starting to think that Haley was 9th on the list.

So the fact that the two of you dont like Haley must mean that he was never high on the list of coaches Pioli wanted?

Shit, Bill Parcells wanted Haley to be his guy in Miami a YEAR ago.

ROFL

Chiefshrink
02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll LMAO if Haley is the smoke screen and Pioli has someone completely out of the blue ready to go.

Wouldn't that be nice:clap: And wouldn't it be nice if Shanny were the choice and then we could all watch Shefter eat some BIG ASS humble pie!!!!

Crush
02-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Here's the deal, in my opinion:

- Haley was always the guy.
- Pioli did not formally interview him before the SB, because that would be a distraction for the Cardinals.
- Pioli wants to create a "Patriots-like" atmosphere, so any relevant information has become a rare resource.
- Pioli knows what he is doing.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
So the fact that the two of you dont like Haley must mean that he was never high on the list of coaches Pioli wanted?

Shit, Bill Parcells wanted Haley to be his guy in Miami a YEAR ago.

ROFL

First, do you really think that Pioli is going to wait on Haley, and put all of his eggs in one basket? What if he declines the job? What if after interviewing him, they don't meet eye to eye?

Then what?

We're stuck with Chan Gailey for a year.

Second, are you trying to tell me that Parcells wanted Haley so much, that he hired Sparano? And who gives a fuck what Bill Parcells wants?

the Talking Can
02-03-2009, 11:50 PM

Wanna job?

ROFL

Boris The Great
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
First, do you really think that Pioli is going to wait on Haley, and put all of his eggs in one basket? What if he declines the job? What if after interviewing him, they don\'t meet eye to eye?

What are you talking about? You are acting like Pioli and Haley are strangers. They worked together for 2-3 years.

If Pioli is considering Haley, and clearly he is since they asked for permission to talk to him, then obviously they must have had a good relationship since Pioli wouldnt bother with someone he didnt like.

Pioli would already know if they see eye-to-eye because he already knows him. He would have found out from Haley weeks ago if he would be interested in taking the job.

There have been reports that people on behalf of Haley have been calling people the last week or two to line up assistant coaches. What does that tell you? It tells me that Pioli and Haley probably agreed on this a while ago, and they had to wait for Arizona to play things out before anything official could happen.

Second, are you trying to tell me that Parcells wanted Haley so much, that he hired Sparano?

Parcells didnt have a choice. Arizona offered Haley a raise and he turned down the Dolphins request to interview him. He said he had only been there a year and didnt feel it was right to leave.

The same thing happened when he went to Dallas. Haley had already gotten a job with the Steelers because Whisenhunt wanted him there. But Haley felt loyal to Parcells and went to Dallas instead. Parcells trying to get him to Miami was the same situation, but Haley didnt want to walk on Whisenhunt again.

And who gives a **** what Bill Parcells wants?

He seemed to pick out a pretty good coach in Sparano, didnt he? To say nothing of Belichick, Sean Payton, Tom Coughlin, and some of the other names on his tree.

Sure-Oz
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
If Gailey gets the job that would pretty much suck....not a thrilling choice, but we are at slim pickings, they may as well have kept herm for the year if this shit happens

I'm not high on haley but atleast it'd be someone different i guess...

Chiefs Pantalones
02-04-2009, 02:04 AM
The sooner Gailey is not a part of this organization the better off we'll be.

Rausch
02-04-2009, 02:08 AM
The sooner Gailey is not a part of this organization the better off we'll be.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/03/wrong-urinal.jpg

Johnny Vegas
02-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm not taking anyone's word on who's the next head coach. I won't ever believe Pioli, the media, or Clark on their preparations of finding their next head coach. Does anyone remember the spin when Herm was about to be HC? Pioli can spin shit better and faster than Peterson any time, place, and in a fist fucking position.

CupidStunt
02-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Curious how they interview the guy if he's in Hawaii.

ChiefsCountry
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Curious how they interview the guy if he's in Hawaii.

Pioli isnt in Kansas City. He was probally in Tampa last week and Honolulu this week.

PhillyChiefFan
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm just going to try to enjoy the ride.

Either way we are in a better position without Carl, Herm and Gun.

I trust Pioli, and until he gives me a reason not to, I will trust his judgement. That includes his decisions on a HC.

CupidStunt
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Pioli isnt in Kansas City. He was probally in Tampa last week and Honolulu this week.

Interesting theory, though I doubt the Honolulu part, hence posting what I did.

You could be right.