PDA

View Full Version : Football Hypothetical: You're A Recruit

Rain Man
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
You're a high school football player, and you're really good. You once scored six touchdowns in one game. The people around you say that they think you could make the pros, and you think so, too. Your measurables are only about average for a typical promising recruit, but you have football smarts and great vision and great intangibles.

The challenge is that you go to Antlerville High School in rural West Dakota, and no college scout wants to come to Antlerville High during the bitter cold of football season. Plus, your conference doesn't include any prominent teams, so you didn't get a whole lot of press, even though you've broken most state records for your IIA Division.

You get four offers:

1. You get a full ride offer from local Division I-AA School Antlerville State. They've offered you everything they can offer you: full tuition, books, fees, a cherry job monitoring the automatic sprinklers, and in the summer prominent alumni Venus DeSiren needs a pool boy at her hacienda in Oahu. You are guaranteed a starting position, as if there was any doubt, and frankly, the odds are that you would be the school's prized recruit. No one has ever been drafted from Antlerville State, but their star running back in 2003 was invited to the Jets camp as a free agent, and NFL scouts have occasionally visited to look at star players. Attendance at games is in the 20,000 range.

2. You get a full ride offer from Division I School West Dakota A&M, which is in a mediocre conference but hey, it's Division I. You would still pay for your books and fees, but they've got a nice job for you keeping stats for the women's track and field team. You would compete for the starting job, and their starter at your position is a junior who you're pretty sure you could beat. West Dakota A&M has had a few players drafted as low and mid-round picks over the years, and one of their alums had a 9-year career in the NFL with a couple of pro bowl appearances. Attendance at games is in the 40,000 range.

3. You get a partial scholarship offer from Division I School Alaburnanova. This school is in a major conference, though they're perennially weak. You would compete for the starting job, and their starter at your position is a senior regarded as a likely early second-day NFL pick. You think you're better than him, though. They'll likely sign a couple of other strong recruits at your position, though in your heart you think you're the best. Alaburnanova typically produces a couple of draft picks a year, and occasionally they're first-rounders. There are several successful pros who hail from the school, though most are journeymen. Attendance at games is in the 60,000 range.

4. You get offered a chance to walk on at national powerhouse UST (University of Southern Texas). This school is THE football factory, and produces a couple of first-round picks every year. Roughly 30 percent of their starters get drafted, and most of the rest get free-agent tryouts. Their starter at your position is an All-American senior, and they've got a junior, sophomore, and freshman in line who were all highly-rated recruits, and tend to bring in other strong recruits each year. In your heart, you think you would be the best of them all, and the coach says you'd have every chance to compete. Attendance at games is in the 80,000 range, usually with national TV coverage.

All four schools have similar systems in place, and all have coaches who are well-respected and known as guys who are willing to let the best players rise to the starting lineup. All of the schools are roughly equal academically and socially, as if you cared about academics anyway given what Randy Moss accomplished with that little pea-brain of his.

What school do you choose to attend?

The Franchise
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Alburnanova.

At least there it's a partial scholarship and players have been drafted.

keg in kc
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I go for broke at Southern Texas. Figuratively and literally.

What I should have done out of high school, in fact, but that's another story.

Ultra Peanut
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Alaburnanova, our pride is clear
The Tidal Wild Tigers, we hold so dear
When we take the field, we know it's true
We'll lose by forty points but I'll look good and improve my draft stock so hey

Fritz88
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
West Dakota A&M

sedated
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd go number 2 (heh) - division 1 school will get you looked at by more scouts, and mediocre conference competition would make you look better. Still get the perks of the full ride, but without being lost in obscurity.

Duck Dog
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I selected Alaburnanova. You are most likely to shine above all your competition thus becoming the starter which is more important than riding the pine at All Stud University.

eazyb81
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
West Dakota A&M. It's a D1 school so you will get attention if you play well, and you can probably get on the field early. Plus full tuition.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
2 or 3 were my only major thoughts. Ultimately it came down to Boise State or Iowa State.

I went with West Dakota.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
WD A&M

but where's the option to play in the CFL and make $5mil?

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
If you honestly think you're the best and you want to make it to the NFL you go to UST. You maybe redshirt the first year and stick around for 1 or 2 years of eligibility. If it works out you're in business. If not, you can transfer to one of the other 3 schools and still have 2 years of eligibility.

Saul Good
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
WD A&M

but where's the option to play in the CFL and make $5mil?

That's a great option. When yo consider that the salary cap in the CFL is $4.2Mil, that means that the rest of the team would have to scrape up $800,000 just to be on the team.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
That's a great option. When yo consider that the salary cap in the CFL is $4.2Mil, that means that the rest of the team would have to scrape up $800,000 just to be on the team.

as they should for the pleasure of playing with Bryce Brown

seaofred
02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
As a former College football player, and one that had a similar situation. I say go with Alaburnanova. If you go for broke at UST, and one injury your done. Plus put the pressure of paying for that school, it's hard to be a standout. Unless your family is wealthy.

Bearcat
02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Interesting bell curve, favoring the one I figured most would choose. Like others have said, if you think you're NFL material, you go to UST, and at least fight for a starting spot as a Junior and Senior.

Brianfo
02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Makes the mind think. I would go with option #2. Too many politics at UST to get a true shot. You can be the big man on campus and probably get some serious looks if you got game. ALA Jared Allen without the drinking problem.

RealSNR
02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey buddy, I went to Antlerville State, and I don't appreciate you jabbing us

CHENZ A!
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
2. kill it for a year or two then transfer to a D1 powerhouse and shine some more while raising draft stock and nailing groupies.

Rain Man
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey buddy, I went to Antlerville State, and I don't appreciate you jabbing us

You were a Fighting Caribou?

RealSNR
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
You were a Fighting Caribou?

Antlers! Hooves! Gallop with grace!
Smear East Dak's guts all over the place!
A-N-T!
A-N-T!
A-N-T-L-E-R!
Antlerville!
Antlerville!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARIBOU!

Mr. Laz
02-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Antlers! Hooves! Gallop with grace!
Smear East Dak's guts all over the place!
A-N-T!
A-N-T!
A-N-T-L-E-R!
Antlerville!
Antlerville!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARIBOU!ROFL

chiefscafan
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I choose West Dakota State

with your job you can pay for books and stuff

if you believe you can beat out the junior then you stack up the stats

that will get you looked at by the NFL

of course you will have the small school crap but if you perform big at the senior bowl etc and combine you can sneak up in the draft .

chiefscafan
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
however I'd love to go to bama and be on special teams and work my way up but that's out of team pride.

ClevelandBronco
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
MIT

kc-nd
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
You go to West Dakota A&M. There's not a lot to do except focus on getting to be a better player. You probably aren't going to get distracted by coyote hunting or snowmobiling on 6 inches of rough, ice-packed snow.

And you won't get have the places to go where you're going to really get in trouble - unless you go to a western bar wearing some funny looking big city duds and piss off some redneck.

And when the pro scouts come to watch a game, only one plane flies in per week, so they're going to spend a lot of time with you - giving you time to lobby - before they are able to fly out again.

And some of the women on the ladies track and field team are beefy - and you are afraid that if you slack off, they could take your place on the team - and so you work extra hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

Rain Man
02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
The poll results are delightfully symmetric right now. It's kind of surprising. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that.