PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli and the players...

melbar
02-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Just a question...

I think Pioli has been doing a fantastic job and I know he's hella busy... but shouldnt he be in some contact with his new players? I'm in no way justifying the expected crying on LJ's part, and I understand where TG is coming from, but I was a little supprised to hear that the new GM hasnt even spoken to the 2 biggest stars on the team. Couldnt a little of this have been avoided by a little ego stroking and "hey we've got big plans for you lets get to know each other" talk?

Just been bothering me a bit.:hmmm:

melbar
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Also, how is he gonna know going into the draft which guys are "his kind of guys" if he hasnt even attempted to know what and who he's got...

bishop_74
02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
The dude $hits good players. Don't even worry about it. Just be patient.

Shaid
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
They can call him if they want to talk, I'm sure he'll answer. He's the boss and he's busy with other stuff right now - like hiring a head coach. Hell, if they were working out at the Chief's training facilities, they probably would be seeing him.

Hammock Parties
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
The days of ego stroking are over. Players will take personal responsibility for themselves and their careers, or they won't be on the team. Pioli won't have to waste time dealing with prima donnas or overpaid crybabies because a strong locker room environment, created by the head coach and overseen by a few veteran leaders among the players, will nip that shit in the bud.

CaliforniaChief
02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Should Pioli wipe their butts too? Bring 'em carry out? These guys are professional football players. Well, one of them is. They should just shut up and grow up.

melbar
02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I guess. I know a lot will have to do with what the head coach wants, but especially Tony. You have the greatest TE of all time and a franchise icon on the roster. The FACE of the franchise and you dont even give him a little ring? What 3 weeks now? Just sayin'!

blueballs
02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
He's got to hire a coach
while trying to get his own staff together
players are down the line a bit

cdcox
02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
LJ is a 30-year old RB who hasn't produced for two seasons, looks bad on the field, can't block, won't catch a pass and has an attitude problem. That's about all you need to know.

Gonzo is a guy that is going to go on the field, get open every play and catch every ball thrown to him. He'll retire after 1 or 2 more seasons. That's about all you need to know.

melbar
02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not talking about butt-wiping, how bout "hello I'm your new boss". I've been reading "Patriot Reign" and thats the whole Patriot way. Personal relationships and guys being on the same page.

melbar
02-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Seriously, if you were hired to GM the Colts wouldnt you at least say "hi" to Peyton? Am I really the only one that thinks thats at least a little weird? I'm not talking about inviting Damion Macintosh over for s'mores here.

I know there are a lot of huge things going on, Just the one marquie player could get a hello thats all...

Shaid
02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm not talking about butt-wiping, how bout "hello I'm your new boss". I've been reading "Patriot Reign" and thats the whole Patriot way. Personal relationships and guys being on the same page.

It all starts with the coaches and coaching staff getting on the same page with Pioli. Once the coaching staff has the same vision, they can apply it to the players. You gotta start at the top and work your way down.

CaliforniaChief
02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
He's building a team of 53. If a player needs that kind of attention to stay happy or can't just be secure enough to shut up, wait, and keep cashing those exorbitantly large paychecks, then Pioli probably doesn't want him around to begin with.

Flustrated
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM

Because we all know personal relationships worked well for Carl and Larry.

cdcox
02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Seriously, if you were hired to GM the Colts wouldnt you at least say "hi" to Peyton? Am I really the only one that thinks thats at least a little weird? I'm not talking about inviting Damion Macintosh over for s'mores here.

I know there are a lot of huge things going on, Just the one marquie player could get a hello thats all...

So you are saying a HOF TE is just as valuable as a HOF QB?

KCCHIEFS27
02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
The dude $hits good players. Don't even worry about it. Just be patient.

I'm still a bit worried, even though I'm blindly behind whatever the guy does, but did Pioli find the good players or did Belichick and his staff find the good players? This probably makes a gazillion times I've said this, but I'm excited to see what Pioli does without Belichik in his ear..

Shaid
02-05-2009, 12:25 AM

I get the arguement but the biggest thing Pioli is trying to establish is a "Team" concept. Once the coaching staff is in place they will probably reach out to the veteran leadership on the team and try to get them on the same page to set the right mindset. It'll all trickle down from there.

Skip Towne
02-05-2009, 12:31 AM
LJ is a 30-year old RB who hasn't produced for two seasons, looks bad on the field, can't block, won't catch a pass and has an attitude problem. That's about all you need to know.

Gonzo is a guy that is going to go on the field, get open every play and catch every ball thrown to him. He'll retire after 1 or 2 more seasons. That's about all you need to know.

Don't forget LJ is no longer fast and that is about all he had to begin with. He certainly isn't shifty and he has no moves.

Hammock Parties
02-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Don't forget LJ is no longer fast and that is about all he had to begin with. He certainly isn't shifty and he has no moves.

That explains the career long 60+ yard runs he broke this year.

melbar
02-05-2009, 12:48 AM
So you are saying a HOF TE is just as valuable as a HOF QB?

Lord, the QB thing again. Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Tony is the face of the franchise and at this time the most important player on the team. The veteran leader in the locker room.

OK, maybe I'm crazy.:shrug: Wouldnt be the first time. :D

I've been in management and to me that seems an easy and intuitive start to the relationship, but thats probably why I didnt get a call back about the Chiefs GM gig...:doh!:

ChiefRon
02-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Um, no. The HC and his staff will handle the players. The GM needs to be putting that staff together, not "reaching out & coddling" any of the players.

TG will get some love if he's a team player, buys into the new philosophy and coaching staff, and learns the new system while providing some leadership.

If not, he won't be here and no friendly relationship is required.

FAX
02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself, Mr. melbar. It's common practice for a new manager to introduce himself to the staff ... even debrief peeps at various levels within the organization. It's a recommended tactic, in fact.

Based on accounts in previous articles about Pioli, he's not the kind of guy who separates himself from the players, either. I read somewhere about how he likes to workout with them, etc. As he is a former player, that doesn't surprise me. But this does. I would have expected him to reach out to a few key veterans, at least. Hmmm. I mean Gonzo and Waters, I guess.

So ... what does it mean? I think Pioli is pissed off. I think he's seen enough tape in sufficient detail to go, "Mama Mia! These-a guys-a are a bunch-a tools-a." Plus, after learning about LJ's and Gonzos mid-season, locker room antics, he's using the time to find trade partners instead of schmoozing.

FAX

Boyceofsummer
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself, Mr. melbar. It's common practice for a new manager to introduce himself to the staff ... even debrief peeps at various levels within the organization. It's a recommended tactic, in fact.

Based on accounts in previous articles about Pioli, he's not the kind of guy who separates himself from the players, either. I read somewhere about how he likes to workout with them, etc. As he is a former player, that doesn't surprise me. But this does. I would have expected him to reach out to a few key veterans, at least. Hmmm. I mean Gonzo and Waters, I guess.

So ... what does it mean? I think Pioli is pissed off. I think he's seen enough tape in sufficient detail to go, "Mama Mia! These-a guys-a are a bunch-a tools-a." Plus, after learning about LJ's and Gonzos mid-season, locker room antics, he's using the time to find trade partners instead of schmoozing.

FAX

Thiggy & the new offense it became clear that Gonzo & LJ are expendable! Don't look for these two on the roster.

Mecca
02-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Thiggy & the new offense it became clear that Gonzo & LJ are expendable! Don't look for these two on the roster.

Thigpen and the new offense LOL....

Herm Edwards got fired haven't you heard?

Maybe just maybe Scott Pioli doesn't care about his old overpaid jackoff RB and a aging TE that likes to complain.

Bob Dole
02-05-2009, 06:27 AM

Didn't he get chased down from behind?

Agent V
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
The days of ego stroking are over. Players will take personal responsibility for themselves and their careers, or they won't be on the team. Pioli won't have to waste time dealing with prima donnas or overpaid crybabies because a strong locker room environment, created by the head coach and overseen by a few veteran leaders among the players, will nip that shit in the bud.

Good. LJ will be gone then.

MahiMike
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
He doesn't know which players will be on the team next year. What would he say to them?

"So, which Bar B Q joint do you like the best?"

PhillyChiefFan
02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Didn't he get chased down from behind?

He did, he did indeed.

PhillyChiefFan
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM

FAX

I agree FAX. I feel like Pioli doesn't have the attachment that fans/coaches do for Gonzo, and absolutely doesn't for LJ, why should he get to know a vet who has publically said he wants to jump ship (not judging Gonzo, I don't blame him for wanting that ring in the twilight of his career). He is seeing two vets who are not helping a struggling team as far as morale.

As LJ goes, Pioli will try to deal him, IMHO. And he should. Johnson has been a whinny little bitch since he got here. And I'm a Penn State diehard, and I can't stand his attitude. Honestly, I'm embarassed that he came from PSU.

FloridaMan88
02-05-2009, 08:47 AM
The Chiefs don't have a franchise caliber player such as a Manning or a Brady worth consulting over who the next head coach should be. Tony Gonzalez may think he has great value to this franchise because of the gaudy stats he has put up and the fact he makes the Pro Bowl every year... but Pioli only cares about wins and losses and Tony Gonzalez hasn't been a factor in helping the Chiefs in that area.

The decision on the next head coach and the free agency and draft decisions this offseason should be made based on what is in the best interest of the Chiefs future ability to win a Super Bowl... not what is best for Tony Gonzalez and his inflated ego.

the Talking Can
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Pioli took one look at a 2-14 team and thought, "I won't kill them all right away"

they should be thankful they are still alive

losers don't deserve shit

Hog Rider
02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
daRN it scott!

chop
02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
I think Pioli is going to get to know all of the players eventually. I'm sure the intro's will be done at the next team gathering. I'm sure it would be much easier to talk to players all together than it is to give them all a ring on the telephone.

talastan
02-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Doesn't Peyton workout in Indy? Would seem that if Tony didn't spend all of his time on the offseason away from Arrowhead he'd probably have time to talk to his new boss. Same with any other player.Pioli doesn't pander to individual players like CeePee did. He'll be trying to build a team. Besides Holy Pioli doesn't bow to Tony G. Come on Tony kiss the ring!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM

You must learn to let him go. LJ and Rat = No Go / Goodbye.

Accept, and move on.

nychief
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
oddly enough... you can't really tell how good a football player is by talking to them... usually, you want to see them play football either live or on tape.

Also, I think Scott knows what type of player TG is...

Skip Towne
02-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Check his ypc and notice him getting caught from behind. That didn't used to happen.

blueballs
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Did they take the time out of their off season activities
to even show up to Pioli's press conference
I sure don't recall any players there

melbar
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Did they take the time out of their off season activities
to even show up to Pioli's press conference
I sure don't recall any players there

True also.

I think this team needs a nice dose of give a Sh-t.

MOhillbilly
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Rose colored glasses.

melbar
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM

FAX

Good point.
Seems like when I ask a question there is always plenty of opposition and very little validation with a different perspective so, thanks!

Mr. Laz
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I think Pioli has been doing a fantastic job
:spock:

he hasn't actually done anything yet(that we know of)

scratch that ... he fired herm .... but still ....

melbar
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Well, I'm talking about the Herm thing mostly. I think he took his time and got all the info he could. The rest of it we will hopefully know soon.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I guess. I know a lot will have to do with what the head coach wants, but especially Tony. You have the greatest TE of all time and a franchise icon on the roster. The FACE of the franchise and you dont even give him a little ring? What 3 weeks now? Just sayin'!

I have a feeling he's more interested in laying the ground work to be able to give Tony and everyone else a big ring... for their finger... than he is worrying about doing something the new coach will be the person to do when he gets here. As big a star as Tony is I doubt Pioli is too concerned with stroking him considering his other, more immediate needs.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Good point.
Seems like when I ask a question there is always plenty of opposition and very little validation with a different perspective so, thanks!

On ChiefsPlanet? You must be thinking of another board.

:D

FTR even though I'm not upset by Pioli and Gonzo not talking yet, I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I have a feeling he's more interested in laying the ground work to be able to give Tony and everyone else a big ring... for their finger... than he is worrying about doing something the new coach will be the person to do when he gets here. As big a star as Tony is I doubt Pioli is too concerned with stroking him considering his other, more immediate needs.

FTR even though I'm not upset by Pioli and Gonzo not talking yet, I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Si Senior! :rockon:

melbar
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Ya, what you said. Just might be a good idea. Especially now...even though Tony basically retracted.

FloridaMan88
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM

That act alone is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize

EyePod
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/33biira.jpg

milkman
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
The fact that a TE is considered the face of the franchise really speaks to the sorry ass shape this franchise in, and has been in for a number of years.

melbar
02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
The fact that a TE is considered the face of the franchise really speaks to the sorry ass shape this franchise in, and has been in for a number of years.

Much as I love Tony...cant argue with that.

EyePod
02-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Much as I love Tony...cant argue with that.

I always try and tell myself that other teams just don't use their TE as much as they should... but those other teams keep winning fucking Super Bowls...

blueballs
02-06-2009, 01:16 AM
What are the odds Haley was going to the Pro Bowl
to hook up with Tony G -heard him whinning on tv
and said fuck it