PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Looks like we're hangin w/Thiggy

MahiMike
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Cassel's (probably) out of the picture.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090206_Patriots_put_franchise_tag_on_Cassel__who_will_earn__14_65M.html

Patriots put franchise tag on Cassel, who will earn $14.65M

Daily News Wire Services

The New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on Matt Cassel yesterday, making it tougher for other teams to sign the free-agent quarterback.
The Patriots might keep him if they have doubts that Tom Brady will be ready for the start of next season after suffering a serious knee injury in the 2008 opener. If they are confident Brady will be ready, they could trade Cassel rather than pay him the $14.65 million offer for 2009 in the franchise designation.

Cassel had a breakout season in 2008, starting 15 games after starting none the seven previous seasons - four with Southern California as backup to Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, and three after New England drafted him in the seventh round in 2005.

For now, he remains a free agent, but the Patriots can match any offer made by another team or allow him to sign with that team in exchange for two first-round draft picks. The franchise tag value is the average of the top-five-paid NFL players at a particular position.

If and when Cassel signs the 1-year designation, he will be under contract to the Patriots and could be dealt.

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

David Dunn, Cassel's agent, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Cassel's stock soared after he took over for Brady and helped the Patriots to an 11-5 record, but New England missed the playoffs.

Brady, who led the Patriots to an unbeaten regular season in 2007 and to their fourth Super Bowl appearance in 8 years, went to the turf midway through the first quarter on Sept. 7 after being hit in the backfield by Kansas City safety Bernard Pollard. The two-time Super Bowl MVP had started 128 games and was replaced by Cassel, who helped the Patriots to a 17-10 win.

Brady underwent surgery for torn ligaments on Oct. 6, then had follow-up surgery to treat a postoperative infection.

On Jan. 21, he said in an interview that his rehabilitation was "going really well," but he did not offer a timetable for a return to the field. He made his comments on Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590. Brady was not asked during the interview whether he expected to be ready for training camp or the start of the regular season.

Teams are allowed to place the franchise tag on one player per season. Without it, Cassel would have become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27 and been able to sign with any team without compensation to the Patriots. The period in which a team can designate a franchise player is Feb. 5-19.

Last season, Cassel finished with 327 completions in 516 attempts (63.4 percent) for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Noteworthy
* The NFL Players Association is appealing a federal court decision ordering the union to pay $28.1 million to retired players for allegedly cutting them out of lucrative marketing deals.

A jury found in November that the union failed to include the retired players in deals with Electronic Arts Inc., the maker of the popular "Madden NFL" video game, and other companies.

Attorneys for the retired players claim the union cut them out of licensing deals, so active players could receive bigger royalty payments.

* Atlanta offensive tackle Todd Weiner, 33, announced his retirement after an 11-year NFL career.

* Tennessee Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse has pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of reckless driving for an incident that occurred June 22.

Kearse, who had been charged with drunken driving, was given 6 months' probation in General Sessions Court, fined $350 and will have restricted driving privileges for a year.

* Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn was arrested on public intoxication and marijuana-possession charges after appearing disoriented at a hotel, said police in Irving, Texas. *

Mecca
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM

You know there is this thing called the draft...most of us that want a QB never even considered Cassell an option.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2009, 07:18 AM

You know there is this thing called the draft...most of us that want a QB never even considered Cassell an option.

A few still see it like Thigpen will start over Stafford or Sanchez for a year. ROFL.

Mecca
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
A few still see it like Thigpen will start over Stafford or Sanchez for a year. ROFL.

Those people don't take the 5 seconds to realize that 99% of coaches will tell a QB that has to play in a spread formation and can't play from under center go to sit his ass down.

soopamanluva
02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
just because cassel got tagged doesnt mean thigpin is safe. there is a draft coming up. i dont know why people want thigpen anyway, he cant throw the ball over 20 yards. that isnt a qb to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

bkkcoh
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM

And the ultimate question is, who will the the Cassell from this draft and will we be smart enough not to pass him up. Or is he a Scott Mitchell????

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Hangin' with Thiggy... kill yourself...

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM

You know there is this thing called the draft...most of us that want a QB never even considered Cassell an option.This

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
A few still see it like Thigpen will start over Stafford or Sanchez for a year. ROFL.I know. I feel sorry for these people. Can't fix stupid...

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
You guys know how Pioli has an eye for talent......
What do you guys know about Nate Davis maybe in the 3rd round? He has a big arm is all I know about the kid....6'2" 217 so kinda short too.

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
don't know about decision making skills or accuracy......what's up with the dude?

bevis369
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
:popcorn:

seaofred
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
You guys know how Pioli has an eye for talent......
What do you guys know about Nate Davis maybe in the 3rd round? He has a big arm is all I know about the kid....6'2" 217 so kinda short too.

Jason Withlock thinks he's the best QB in the draft.

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
yeah well who is whitlock to give his sorry ass opinion on anything important

Messier
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Jason Withlock thinks he's the best QB in the draft.

And Whitlock thinks Jeff George would be the best QB in the NFL if a team would have the sense to bring him in.

Jerm
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
No way Nate Davis falls to the 3rd round...I think we'd be lucky for him to be there at the top of the 2nd round, esp. if he has a good combine.

I like him a lot...I just think he's going to be one of those guys whose stock rises very rapidly.

Brock
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't know if they're interested in Cassell or not, but putting the franchise tag on him doesn't really mean anything.

Basileus777
02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
This means nothing. The Pats can still and probably will trade him.

But most of us want to draft a QB anyway. We're far from being stuck with Thigpen.

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 09:08 AM
No way Nate Davis falls to the 3rd round...I think we'd be lucky for him to be there at the top of the 2nd round, esp. if he has a good combine.

I like him a lot...I just think he's going to be one of those guys whose stock rises very rapidly.

examples of what you think makes him good. i only saw him throw 67 yds in the allstar weekend.

do you have game examples? I truly know nothing about the kid.

If he is as good as people say then getting a baddass OL in the 1st and him in the 2nd would be a really nice upgrade??????????????

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I think Thiggy will be a great NFL BACKUP QB, but nothing else. He is a guy if your guy goes down before halftime and needs checked out can step up in the 2 min drill, and then have the starter back on the field in the 3rd.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
:shake:

Just being an ass today.

Jerm
examples of what you think makes him good. i only saw him throw 67 yds in the allstar weekend.

do you have game examples? I truly know nothing about the kid.

If he is as good as people say then getting a baddass OL in the 1st and him in the 2nd would be a really nice upgrade??????????????

He had good size, poise, control, mobile for his size, can make all the throws.

I just like the look of him...he looks like he'd be a solid NFL QB, sort of in the Roethlisberger mold IMO.

StcChief
we likely draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd. Doesn't mean Thiggy won't start for 2009.

Mecca
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
He had good size, poise, control, mobile for his size, can make all the throws.

I just like the look of him...he looks like he'd be a solid NFL QB, sort of in the Roethlisberger mold IMO.

Just for the record here Nate Davis is Tyler Thigpen sized not Roethlisberger sized...Roethlisberger is 6'5 Davis is roughly 6'1 or 6'2.

Craash
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know if they're interested in Cassell or not, but putting the franchise tag on him doesn't really mean anything.

I took 17 posts for someone to point this out???

Flipping planet has lost it burst.

I'm gonna go eat some nachos.

Rukdafaidas
02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I think Thigpen will be a great NFL BACKUP QB, but nothing else. He is a guy if your guy goes down before halftime and needs checked out can step up in the 2 min drill, and then have the starter back on the field in the 3rd.

I don't think he would be a good backup QB. Thigpen was absolutely horrible when he came in as an under center QB. The Chiefs had to completely overhaul their offense to make Thigpen serviceable. I don't think a team would want to install a separate offense just for their backup QB.