PDA

View Full Version : Life Family Tree

luv
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
So, I'm not really for sure why, but I got curious about my family tree earlier this week. My dad had a bible that my great grandmother gave my grandmother that has what history my grandmother could remember written in it. I can trace my dad's side back to my great-great-great grandparents. Haven't started on my mom's side yet. I'm getting ready to go back and look up the last names to see about their origins. Maybe I can figure out what kind of mutt I am.

What kind of mutt are you?

JazzzLovr
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
"Which tree?"

Somebody had to do it...

Bearcat
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
"Which tree?"

Somebody had to do it...

Perfect. LMAO

How's it going, Jazzzzz?

Bearcat
02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
My mom's side has a pretty detailed book on the family tree, and there's one picture from like 1880 that eerily looks like me. Not so sure about my dad's side, but it's more like a forest...

JuicesFlowing
02-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I have no idea about my family history. I know that I'm not of native american, asian, african, or south american descent, though. That narrows it down to Europe for whatever that's worth.

Bugeater
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Danish/German hybrid here.

luv
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
In no particular order, my family's names...

Paul - English, French, German, and Dutch
Rogers - English
Adkins - English
Poe - English
Richardson - English
Bassford - English
Overman - Dutch
Westervelt - Dutch and Belgian (Westerveld)
Craig - Scottish
Endicott - English (Devon)
Ware - English
Junkins - English, Irish
Mondy (?) - English
Petre - English, Swedish (Petré), Slovenian, French (Pêtre)

morphius
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
My Surname was traced back to the first in my line from England. Mom's, mom's side is 100% Norwegian. There is a Cuban snuck in on my Dad's side to add a couple kids in every generation that are just a bit darker, and we tan really well. lol.

But yeah, I'm a mutt.

chiefsfanintx
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
My uncle has been working on our family tree for years.I have a couple of King Henry's,Miles Standish,King Richard The Lionhearted in my tree.My mothers side we have no idea.Her father came to the U.S.A. from Poland when he was a little boy.

morphius
02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
"Which tree?"

Somebody had to do it...
You really do still post here :D

JazzzLovr
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
You really do still post here :D

Occasionally. :D

Hydrae
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
My surname is Swedish and I am 1/4 Swede (great-grandparents came from Sweden). The rest is a mismash from all over Europe, mostly English and German I believe. My mother's side has been here since before the Revolutionary War.

Stewie
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
My father's side has been traced back to the 1400s. It came from Swedish archives that my grandfather put together before he came to this country. It's quite interesting but we need to have some of the details translated since it's written in Swedish. My mom's side is also from Sweden but hasn't been traced as far as I know. I'm sure I'm related to Eric the Red, Leif Ericson (one begets the other), and probably a killer Viking or two.

Bearcat
02-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Occasionally. :D

Sure, ignore me. :harumph: And after all those times I drove you home after your drunken nights out...

doomy3
02-07-2009, 11:32 AM
How high up on the tree were you?

luv
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Talking with my dad, he was thinking that his cousin did extensive research on the Rogers string. He said, overall, we are mainly English/Dutch.

chiefsfanintx
02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Rogers is my aunt's maiden name.She is from N.W. Arkansas.She has a great deal of information on the Rogers family.She is my aunt by marriage.

luv
02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Rogers is my aunt's maiden name.She is from N.W. Arkansas.She has a great deal of information on the Rogers family.She is my aunt by marriage.

Really? We get invited to the Rogers family reunion every other year. I believe it's down in Arkansas somewhere.

JazzzLovr
02-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Sure, ignore me. :harumph: And after all those times I drove you home after your drunken nights out...

Thanks for not throwing up in my truck. :D

I'm okay, just trying to get a lot of things done all at once lately.

chiefsfanintx
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
If it's in Fayetteville it's a possibility.My maiden name is Holt so if the invitation comes from a Holt go check it out.My aunt and uncle have volumes of information on both.

luv
02-07-2009, 11:51 AM
If it's in Fayetteville it's a possibility.My maiden name is Holt so if the invitation comes from a Holt go check it out.My aunt and uncle have volumes of information on both.

Cool. That sounds right.

Rogers was my great grandmother's maiden name.

Bearcat
02-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for not throwing up in my truck. :D

I'm okay, just trying to get a lot of things done all at once lately.

I do what I can to keep the DD happy. :) Well, besides on NYE when Slayer's gf drove us home and I was quite obnoxious... but I didn't throw up in her car, so I don't see the big deal in a little harassment; and most of it wasn't even sexual. :evil:

I'm working a little bit today, but lack motivation.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
German, Scottish, Welsh, even some Crow Indian in me.

Jilly
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't have a clue...

right now, I'm too busy trying to figure out why Arby's uses shredded lettuce to make their salads

Delano
02-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't have a clue...

right now, I'm too busy trying to figure out why Arby's uses shredded lettuce to make their salads

Arby's is selling the worst salads I have ever eaten. In all honesty, I'd rather eat a McDonalds .99 side salad.

Jilly
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Arby's is selling the worst salads I have ever eaten. In all honesty, I'd rather eat a McDonalds .99 side salad.

yeah, I'm on board. This is ridiculous. (sorry Luv) Do you know how hard it is to make shredded lettuce stay on a fork? I really think they should serve it with spoons.

Delano
02-07-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah, I'm on board. This is ridiculous. (sorry Luv) Do you know how hard it is to make shredded lettuce stay on a fork? I really think they should serve it with spoons.

I gave up with the fork and just put my face in the bowl. I had balsamic vinaigrette all over my face and my wife thought I was cheating with the glazed donut thing going on.

Jilly
02-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I gave up with the fork and just put my face in the bowl. I had balsamic vinaigrette all over my face and my wife thought I was cheating with the glazed donut thing going on.\

you whore

Jilly
02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
you know what else the shredded lettuce does? It soaks all the dressing into one spot so that half the salad is dry and half is wet. I can't get it to mix.

Skip Towne
02-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I do what I can to keep the DD happy. :) Well, besides on NYE when Slayer's gf drove us home and I was quite obnoxious... but I didn't throw up in her car, so I don't see the big deal in a little harassment; and most of it wasn't even sexual. :evil:

I'm working a little bit today, but lack motivation.

Slayer has a girlfriend? Wow, take that Claythan!

Bearcat
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Slayer has a girlfriend? Wow, take that Claythan!

~6 months now. That's what happens when you leave your parents' basement... you meet people.

Earthling
02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
After looking into my family tree I was stuck after reaching some guy named Gork. But, I'm pretty convinced that we are all inbred and related to each other anyway.

BigVE
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
My fathers family history is mixed. My great great grandfather was mexican, my great grandfather married a part native american/mexican, my granfather married a woman who was a 1/4 native american and the rest mexican. NOBODY can honestly trace what type of native american in either case. My original family name should have been Hernandez but my great great grandfather had such a bad reputation that his son took his mothers maiden name, hence my name today. This also makes it tough to trace. My moms side is secretive at best but I do know that it's mostly from a strong german descent from my grandfathers side...german enough that he was ashamed to mention some of his families past while they were in Germany. There was also a name change in there somewhere. :( My grandmother called herself Heinz 57 because she was some sort of mix of dutch, welsh, irish, german and who knows what else. It's all pretty interesting to me but the real details are mysterious and secretive so there's not a lot to go on other than hand me down stories. One interesting story is that my great great grandfather road with Pancho Villa, thus causing his son to change his name later on. My grandfather was an official Texas Ranger (non-baseball,lol) and helped with translating when they would apprehend those who didn't speak english. I have a kick-@ss picture of him in his uniform with his rifle and side-arm in hand. So I guess when it comes down to it I'm basically a mexi-germerican . ;)

ChiefsOne
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Family tree stuff is very interesting to me. I got into it in 5th grade and found out alot while I had 4 great grandmothers left. My wife picked it up about 10 years ago and has found tons of links on the net. She first got a program called Family Tree Maker and got a lot of connections. She is on Reunion now and has traced both of our side way back.

BigRock
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I had to do a family tree project in 10th grade. I'll never forget it. We had to create the actual tree itself, right, and then we had to write a report about the tree with more detail about our families, where they were from, and all that.

So I started out writing how my ancestors came over in whatever year, and I used their family name, and off in the margin in big red letters my teacher writes "THIS IS NOT THE NAME YOU IDENTIFIED THEM BY ON YOUR TREE. -10"

Then in the next paragraph I talked about how they changed their name when they came over, which is the name I used on the actual tree portion of the project. In the margin, my teacher writes:

"OH. SORRY. +10"

Hydrae
02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
My father's side has been traced back to the 1400s. It came from Swedish archives that my grandfather put together before he came to this country. It's quite interesting but we need to have some of the details translated since it's written in Swedish. My mom's side is also from Sweden but hasn't been traced as far as I know. I'm sure I'm related to Eric the Red, Leif Ericson (one begets the other), and probably a killer Viking or two.

That is pretty cool that you were able to go back that far. The story on my surname is that it was given to my great-great grandfather by the king of Sweden. Something about needing to be able to tell all the Svens and Svenson's (Eric/Ericson) apart when they joined the military.

Midnight_Vulture
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
100 % German

KC Jones
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
My wife has researched my side of the family a bit. She knows the details but this is the little bits that I know...

On my Dad's side my grandfather was the son of Norwegian immigrants. I believe his mother was from a family of Banat Swabians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banat_Swabians) who had moved en masse to North Dakota during some of the pre War War I ethnic cleansing by the Magyar. I know my wife has traced both sides back a bit further but I don't know how far or to whom.

On my mother's side she was the daughter of german jew and a german. What has survived from the holocaust is a few papers indicating both families were fairly wealthy and that my grandmother was a physician (pretty rare for a woman in pre WWII Europe.) Again, I know my wife has taken the lineage further back, but it's not really an interest of mine so I don't know how far.

rrl308
02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I know my gggrandfather came over from Sweden in the 1860's. I have been doing extensive research on my family history for the last two months. I realize it's not for some people, but for me it's like a treasure hunt. You never know where it's going to lead you.

greg63
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm related to Sgt. York. I'm also related to Michael York. :D

chiefsfanintx
02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm related to G.W.

morphius
02-07-2009, 09:28 PM
My fathers family history is mixed. My great great grandfather was mexican, my great grandfather married a part native american/mexican, my granfather married a woman who was a 1/4 native american and the rest mexican. NOBODY can honestly trace what type of native american in either case. My original family name should have been Hernandez but my great great grandfather had such a bad reputation that his son took his mothers maiden name, hence my name today. This also makes it tough to trace. My moms side is secretive at best but I do know that it's mostly from a strong german descent from my grandfathers side...german enough that he was ashamed to mention some of his families past while they were in Germany. There was also a name change in there somewhere. :( My grandmother called herself Heinz 57 because she was some sort of mix of dutch, welsh, irish, german and who knows what else. It's all pretty interesting to me but the real details are mysterious and secretive so there's not a lot to go on other than hand me down stories. One interesting story is that my great great grandfather road with Pancho Villa, thus causing his son to change his name later on. My grandfather was an official Texas Ranger (non-baseball,lol) and helped with translating when they would apprehend those who didn't speak english. I have a kick-@ss picture of him in his uniform with his rifle and side-arm in hand. So I guess when it comes down to it I'm basically a mexi-germerican . ;)
With all the name changes its surprising you aren't a serial killer!

The Norwegian side of my family would be hard to trace, as with many of that nationality their last name was changed to Moe when they moved to the US.

MOhillbilly
02-08-2009, 08:43 AM
my grandmother has traced our family history back to the 16th cen.

kstater
02-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I live in Arkansas and went to KSU. Mine's just a stick, no branches.

kstater
02-08-2009, 09:03 AM
100 % German

No wonder you're such a deutsche.

Over-Head
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Mom's side I can go back to the eairly 1800's
Dad's I have traced back to the 1700's, and also have a pic of
Father,
grand father,
great,
great great,
great x 3,
In front of the family home stead on thier respective wedding day's

And a bible given to my grandfather's parents on the day he was born in 1889 resides on my nightstand.