PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you TXT message while driving?

JuicesFlowing
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I often see people text messaging while driving. Darwin must be spinning in his grave. Poll on the way ...

Sorry if repost.

el borracho
02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I pull over if I have to talk for more than 1 minute so, no, I don't text while driving.

Crush
02-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Absolutely not. LOL@U

SLAG
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
only at a red light

unothadeal
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
i dnt txt whn im drivng but id like 2 try it sumday

luv
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
If I answer yes, does that make me a bad person?

teedubya
i do sumtimes - trnt grn

Deberg_1990

Crash much?

unothadeal
02-07-2009, 11:42 PM

No, just a bad driver.

Basileus777

Yes.

Thig Lyfe
I do nothing but.

el borracho
02-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Well, that depends... do you drive a bumper car or an actual vehicle, weighing thousands of pounds and capable of 25+ mph?

luv
02-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Crash much?

Never while texting. It's not like I'm popular enough to be doing it a lot. And I try to wait until I hit a red light.

DaFace
02-07-2009, 11:48 PM
I've done it while driving on I-70 in western Kansas with no cars anywhere near me, but that's about it.

luv
02-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I've done it while driving on I-70 in western Kansas with no cars anywhere near me, but that's about it.

That's fine and dandy, but we're talking about texting.

Deberg_1990
02-07-2009, 11:50 PM

ROFL

Bugeater
02-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't even talk on my cell phone while driving. And I don't text. Ever. It's stupid. If I need to communicate with someone I'll call them.

Craqhead
02-08-2009, 12:37 AM
I have. Quick stuff... yes or no only.

I have a blue~tooth for talking while I'm in the car. My car is my office. Sometimes I spend more hours in it for work then I do at the actual business.

cdcox
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I'd never do something crazy like th -- Holy shit, Damn bastard almost cut me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

02-08-2009, 12:57 AM
NEVER. People that do should be shot.

FAX
02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Never. I'm far too busy reading the paper, shaving, talking on the phone, and drinking my coffee.

FAX

Simply Red
02-08-2009, 01:05 AM
just ftr, that's the best Gaz-option I've seen on this board. PWNAGE! :clap:

luv
02-08-2009, 01:10 AM
NEVER. People that do should be shot.

Ouch.

88TG88
02-08-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't, it's the law.

pr_capone
02-08-2009, 02:00 AM

Not at all... at least until you run over a pedestrian or motorcyclist.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, I don't text on the phone. I do talk on it though. Frequently. With a bluetooth headset it's no different than someone sitting in your passenger seat. Except you don't have to look over and make eye contact. Really, it's safer.

Frazod
02-08-2009, 02:18 AM
There was a time when I would drive a car with a stick shift while eating a burger and fries and drinking a coke.

But I'm multi-talented. :)

J Diddy
02-08-2009, 02:23 AM
There was a time when I would drive a car with a stick shift while eating a burger and fries and drinking a coke.

I heard you could handle the stick while playing with the curlies, sucking on the meat, and swallowing the drink.

:D

Frazod
02-08-2009, 02:25 AM
I heard you could handle the stick while playing with the curlies, sucking on the meat, and swallowing the drink.

I... just don't know how to respond to this :eek:

J Diddy
02-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I... just don't know how to respond to this :eek:

bwahaa, ha, ha, ha

luv
02-08-2009, 02:29 AM

I think you're confusing him with me.

Frazod
02-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Oh dear :D

J Diddy
02-08-2009, 02:31 AM

lol.

This isn't a job interview.

Silock
02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm driving right now
Posted via mobile device

kysirsoze
02-08-2009, 03:46 AM
I don't, it's the law.

no kidding. This oppressive California regime.

Johnny Vegas
02-08-2009, 03:51 AM
no.

BigMeatballDave
02-08-2009, 04:29 AM
I used to. My son, who is ten, started getting onto me about doing that. I don't anymore...

kysirsoze
02-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Did it a little before it was illegal here in CA. Didn't care for it for obvious reasons.

MTG#10
02-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I dont text at all. It pisses me off if someone sends me a text. If you have something to say, call me.

tmax63
02-08-2009, 09:18 AM
You gotta have one of those devices before you can talk or text. I still can't get cell service at my house so I don't have one of them thar new-fangled devices.

Jilly
02-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I do. Usually not while I"m like driving driving...but I do. I know I shouldn't, but I"m a texting master. I hate talking on the phone, hate it, but that still doesn't give me a good excuse for texting while driving. I'll work on it. I SAID I'LL WORK ON IT, quit pestering me.

DTLB58
02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Yah :doh!:

Very irresponsible I know.

But hey, at least I have the honesty trait going for me. :D

Simplex3
02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I dont text at all. It pisses me off if someone sends me a text. If you have something to say, call me.

I blocked texting on my phone for the same reason. I'm not going to drag a thirty second phone call out into twelve text messages. I find the only people who would text me were people who owed me something they didn't have done and didn't want to have to answer for it.

Simplex3
02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I do. Usually not while I"m like driving driving...but I do. I know I shouldn't, but I"m a texting master. I hate talking on the phone, hate it, but that still doesn't give me a good excuse for texting while driving. I'll work on it. I SAID I'LL WORK ON IT, quit pestering me.

Do us all a favor and don't kill that kid in your avatar while you're doing it.

Simplex3
02-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Yah :doh!:

Very irresponsible I know.

But hey, at least I have the honesty trait going for me. :D

DT would be proud. I'm sure he knows a little something about safe driving.

Jilly
02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Do us all a favor and don't kill that kid in your avatar while you're doing it.

nice. thanks.

Jilly
02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
ftr, ass, I don't text with her in the car

Fritz88
02-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I do it all the time. Predicative text made it much easier.

I believe it's wrong and I must quit it.

Bugeater
02-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Oh, that's good to know, no need to worry about anyone else who happens to have kids in their car when you're driving while distracted.

Baby Lee
02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
My BT is just about my favorite possession. I'm getting quickly to 'crazy person' status, walking around talking to friends and family no matter what I'm doing. Just a tap to the ear, 'Call mom, home' voila someone to chat with during drive time.

TrebMaxx
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I definitely do not txt while driving. Ever since I have had my new car with Bluetooth I am a firm believer in hands free for even phone calls. A matter of fact I am getting one of these, Motorola T505 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875982146 for my wife's car.

StcChief
02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
no.... interesting Gaz option.

Bearcat
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I'll text when I'm at a stop light, rarely when I'm driving.

I know someone who does constantly, and she's never been in a wreck... she has a Sidekick and can type like 80 wpm on it, and doesn't do it in traffic or on the highway (much ;) ).

I think if you aren't glaring at your cellphone while texting, or steering with your knees because you have to use both hands, it's not much different than changing a CD or glancing at someone you're talking to.

I think some people's brains are wired to multitask and other people's are not... Those who don't pay enough attention while driving are going to be at a higher risk of being involved in an accident, regardless of what they're doing. Putting a cell phone in their hand just gives people an object to point to when they get into a wreck, instead of simply saying "they weren't paying attention".

They get into wrecks because they're changing a CD or talking to someone in the backseat or reaching for a french fry or talking on the phone or texting. I've done all of those things, as I'm sure many people do, and I've never been involved in a wreck.

The whole issue is overblown, IMO. If you aren't devoting enough attention to driving while texting, you probably weren't devoting enough attention to driving before texting.

Predarat
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I do this very rarely and only if im stuck in traffic and not actually driving, like after games when the parking lot is gridlocked or an interstate backup. Though i wonder what causes those gridlocks and backups lol.

Demonpenz
02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I txt all the way back when I am doing my drive of shame from st joseph to KC. I got bitches to hit up, homies to get at, not screw around with just driving

MIAdragon
02-08-2009, 12:51 PM
only at a red light

This.

teedubya
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I only text when Im driving. And NEVER at red lights. I use that time for slammin' my 40oz.

BigVE
02-08-2009, 05:34 PM

That is not the point...that stuff is ok, its TEXTING that is the debbil now.

chiefzilla1501
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Sometimes the driving distracts me from my texting.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
FYI, I don't drive distracted, Jilly. I realize I have a responsibility to myself and others when I'm on the road.

Jilly
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
FYI, I don't drive distracted, Jilly. I realize I have a responsibility to myself and others when I'm on the road.

sorry I hurt your feelings

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
sorry I hurt your feelings
LOL, you're the one who seems butthurt over this, I was just responding to your accusation. Oh, and I'm sorry I had to be the one to point out your hypocrisy.

Jilly
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
LOL, you're the one who seems butthurt over this, I was just responding to your accusation. Oh, and I'm sorry I had to be the one to point out your hypocrisy.

thank you, I really have turned around and will never text another thing while driving...your comments have truly helped

ClevelandBronco
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I refuse to write or read text messages. Ever.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
thank you, I really have turned around and will never text another thing while driving...your comments have truly helped

Oh, you're ****ing hilarious. Maybe you should ask Guru how much fun it was to get broadsided with a carload of kids by some idiot who was distracted while driving.

Jilly
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
wow, yeah, I saw it cb

Jilly
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh, you're ****ing hilarious. Maybe you should ask Guru how much fun it was to get broadsided with a carload of kids by some idiot who was distracted while driving.

I'm gonna chalk this conversation up to me just having a sensitive day and be done with it. Seriously. I'm sorry.

ClevelandBronco
02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
wow, yeah, I saw it cb

I should keep such personal assessments to myself.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

So you're just trying to kill her mom. Good to know.

kc rush
02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K59eMpWsyNE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K59eMpWsyNE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Midnight Vulture does.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll text when I'm at a stop light, rarely when I'm driving.

I know someone who does constantly, and she's never been in a wreck... she has a Sidekick and can type like 80 wpm on it, and doesn't do it in traffic or on the highway (much ;) ).

I think if you aren't glaring at your cellphone while texting, or steering with your knees because you have to use both hands, it's not much different than changing a CD or glancing at someone you're talking to.

I think some people's brains are wired to multitask and other people's are not... Those who don't pay enough attention while driving are going to be at a higher risk of being involved in an accident, regardless of what they're doing. Putting a cell phone in their hand just gives people an object to point to when they get into a wreck, instead of simply saying "they weren't paying attention".

They get into wrecks because they're changing a CD or talking to someone in the backseat or reaching for a french fry or talking on the phone or texting. I've done all of those things, as I'm sure many people do, and I've never been involved in a wreck.

The whole issue is overblown, IMO. If you aren't devoting enough attention to driving while texting, you probably weren't devoting enough attention to driving before texting.

Wow. You have a sample size of 2 which suggests it's safe.

Pay no attention to the myriad of evidence which shows your theory is bullshit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7621644.stm
The RAC Foundation found average reaction times slowed by 35% when 17 to 24-year-olds drove in a simulator while writing or reading texts.

Nearly 50% of drivers aged between 18 and 24 texted while driving, it said.

Previous studies had found reactions were 21% slower among those who had taken cannabis and 12% slower among those who had drunk to the legal limit.

The texters also drifted out of lanes more and had poorer steering control.

Goapics1
02-09-2009, 12:06 PM

ROFL

Jilly
02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
So you're just trying to kill her mom. Good to know.

I'm sorry. I really am not. I'm not trying to fucking kill anyone. or anyone's children. so I'm sorry. really, I seriously am.

epitome1170
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM

I think he is saying more to the point that the people that did have slower reactions would be doing something else anyway. Those same people in that study should be observed in real life without texting available and they would probably be doing something else to distract them.

On top of that, the study is for the youngest generation of drivers in which distractions are much higher based on their maturity level.

I would say that in general texting will take away people's attention. However, there are people that would not be bothered by it and there are others that would just be distracted by something else anyway.

keg in kc
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I have, although it's not something I do often.

CoMoChief
02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Just usually at stop lights or straightaways on interstates between CoMo and KC.

Around city traffic though? No way.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry. I really am not. I'm not trying to ****ing kill anyone. or anyone's children. so I'm sorry. really, I seriously am.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't looking for an apology. I hate to make this an age thing, but a lot of young drivers don't realize it only takes a split second for really, really bad things to happen. I know I didn't.

Jilly
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't looking for an apology. I hate to make this an age thing, but a lot of young drivers don't realize it only takes a split second for really, really bad things to happen. I know I didn't.

it's fine...I really am sorry. I wasn't trying to make a big case out of it, and I'm sure I got a bit defensive...I do that when I'm wrong and I can recognize that.

Bearcat
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Right, I came up with that based on the two examples in my post. :spock:

I've read the articles, and the problem with the one you posted is that they're mixing 17 year-olds with people who could have 8 years of experience driving. A 17yo more than likely sucks at driving to begin with, so that 35% reduction is turning a bad driver who probably doesn't pay much attention in the first place, and turning them into a dangerous driver.

Regarding that article, I don't drift out of my lane, I never drive with both hands and only use one to text, and I really don't think coming up with a text would take up much concentration at all. I don't text while I'm in traffic or passing other cars or when I'm following someone at a decent speed.

It's funny that they show a balding guy in a suit texting while driving... that should be the study, not 17yo kids. Looking back at what I did when I was a kid, I probably shouldn't have been allowed to drive at all when I was 17, of course texting is going to make it worse.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I think he is saying more to the point that the people that did have slower reactions would be doing something else anyway. Those same people in that study should be observed in real life without texting available and they would probably be doing something else to distract them.

On top of that, the study is for the youngest generation of drivers in which distractions are much higher based on their maturity level.

I would say that in general texting will take away people's attention. However, there are people that would not be bothered by it and there are others that would just be distracted by something else anyway.

It is impossible to be doing something other than driving and not be distracted. It's kind of the definition of distracted.

If your point is that people's reaction times get better with age, I think you're going to find research is against you on that one as well.

I'm not harping on texting specifically. I'm against distracted driving for whatever reason. Everyone should ask themselves why cars get safer and safer but traffic fatalities never go down. A lot of people think it is because drivers adjust to be more distracted and dangerous because they feel safer in the car.

Bearcat
02-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Yeah, what he said. :)

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll read a message, but I won't reply.

Bowser
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I only do it when I have to reply to my girlfriend when we're having phone sex.

Bearcat
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
It is impossible to be doing something other than driving and not be distracted. It's kind of the definition of distracted.

If your point is that people's reaction times get better with age, I think you're going to find research is against you on that one as well.

I'm not harping on texting specifically. I'm against distracted driving for whatever reason. Everyone should ask themselves why cars get safer and safer but traffic fatalities never go down. A lot of people think it is because drivers adjust to be more distracted and dangerous because they feel safer in the car.

Yeah, but people can decide on when to be distracted. "Texting while driving" isn't a problem, IMO.... it's texting while you're driving at 65mph and passing a semi, or while you're in heavy traffic that's going 45mph. I don't think it's as simple as saying "you need to be 100% focused on the road 100% of the time" if you're used to and comfortable multitasking, if you're smart about it and use a little common sense.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Right, I came up with that based on the two examples in my post. :spock:

I've read the articles, and the problem with the one you posted is that they're mixing 17 year-olds with people who could have 8 years of experience driving. A 17yo more than likely sucks at driving to begin with, so that 35% reduction is turning a bad driver who probably doesn't pay much attention in the first place, and turning them into a dangerous driver.

Regarding that article, I don't drift out of my lane, I never drive with both hands and only use one to text, and I really don't think coming up with a text would take up much concentration at all. I don't text while I'm in traffic or passing other cars or when I'm following someone at a decent speed.

It's funny that they show a balding guy in a suit texting while driving... that should be the study, not 17yo kids. Looking back at what I did when I was a kid, I probably shouldn't have been allowed to drive at all when I was 17, of course texting is going to make it worse.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, do you look at your phone while typing in your message? If so, how long does it take to type out a two or three line message? A couple of seconds would have to be on the low end, right? In that two seconds you'll travel over 175 feet at average highway speeds. That effectively doubles the distance you need to stop your car in an emergency.

Also, those 17 year old kids have much better reaction times than the balding adults do. Aging doesn't help us in that regard.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, but people can decide on when to be distracted. "Texting while driving" isn't a problem, IMO.... it's texting while you're driving at 65mph and passing a semi, or while you're in heavy traffic that's going 45mph. I don't think it's as simple as saying "you need to be 100% focused on the road 100% of the time" if you're used to and comfortable multitasking, if you're smart about it and use a little common sense.

The problem is there is no way to separate the ones who are being smart about it and the ones who aren't. Hell there are some people who drive more carefully when they're drunk than when they're sober, but I don't think we should repeal the drunk driving laws.

epitome1170
02-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Where did I say that reaction times get better with age? I stated that a younger person is going to get distracted more easily... that is their nature.

To play devil's advocate then, do you listen to the radio? Look at pedestrains? Think about anything other than driving? All of those are distractions as well.

Simplex3

So you get to decide when someone or something pulls out in front of you on the road? You're pretty awesome.

El Jefe

Ok gramps :).

epitome1170

This

epitome1170
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
The problem is there is no way to separate the ones who are being smart about it and the ones who aren't. Hell there are some people who drive more carefully when they're drunk than when they're sober, but I don't think we should repeal the drunk driving laws.

So you want to pass a law to stop all texting? Sounds a bit socialistic for a democratic society.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Where did I say that reaction times get better with age? I stated that a younger person is going to get distracted more easily... that is their nature.

To play devil's advocate then, do you listen to the radio? Look at pedestrains? Think about anything other than driving? All of those are distractions as well.

Some are worse than others, the ones that require the use of a hand or taking ones eyes off the road repeatedly are the most dangerous IMO. I have no problem with someone talking on a cell phone if they're using a hands free device.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
So you want to pass a law to stop all texting? Sounds a bit socialistic for a democratic society.

That was quite a leap, I didn't say that at all.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM

I don't take my eyes off the road if my car is moving. Hell, I watch the surrounding traffic when I'm stopped at a light. Paid off on Friday because some whore in an SUV would have rear ended me. I saw her coming in my rear view mirror and could see she was watching her phone instead of the cars stopped in front of her. I pulled into another lane, she slammed on her brakes and barely stopped before slamming into the guy who was in front of me. Late 30's, early 40's.

Bearcat
02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Just to satisfy my curiosity, do you look at your phone while typing in your message? If so, how long does it take to type out a two or three line message? A couple of seconds would have to be on the low end, right? In that two seconds you'll travel over 175 feet at average highway speeds. That effectively doubles the distance you need to stop your car in an emergency.

Also, those 17 year old kids have much better reaction times than the balding adults do. Aging doesn't help us in that regard.

I don't have to look at what I'm typing much, and for common words I know the minimum of what I have to type before it fills it in for me, but I never take my eyes off the road for more than a second or two. Again, I don't text if I'm closely following someone, especially at highway speeds.

It's probably more likely that I'd get into a wreck because someone in front of me slammed on their brakes while I was looking over my shoulder to check my blind spot than because of texting.

I'm sure they have better reaction times, but they already don't have much driving experience, and you're reducing their concentration on top of that. If I mixed my 17yo driving habits with a cell phone, I'd be f***ed.

Bearcat
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
So you get to decide when someone or something pulls out in front of you on the road? You're pretty awesome.

I pay enough attention to know my surroundings....

....the problem is that you can't eliminate all distractions. I might be looking down at my phone for a second, but is that any more/less distracting than a parent yelling at their kids while glaring at them in the rear view mirror, or having a car full of people, or talking on a cell phone, or flipping radio stations, or driving after a big argument, or trying to figure out where you're going?

I know what you're saying... it's not as simple as Darwinism, because they could kill someone else, but if an idiot that doesn't pay enough attention to the road while texting gets his phone taken away, they won't pay more attention tomorrow... they'll probably find something else to do to pass the time while they're driving.

Edit: And I know that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't still ban the highest distractions, I just think the whole cell phone/texting debate is overblown. Then again, I'd like to think I'm not an idiot about it. ;)

Molitoth
02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
unfortunatly I do. I know, I am a bad person.

Simplex3
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Edit: And I know that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't still ban the highest distractions, I just think the whole cell phone/texting debate is overblown. Then again, I'd like to think I'm not an idiot about it. ;)

As much as it may sound like it I'm not for a law banning it. Just another bullshit law that can't be enforced. However, I am all for ticketing the bejesus out of people who are driving like idiots.

sedated
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I have started a text at a red light, then caught myself continuing the text after the light turns green. I text so often, I can fill a page without looking down at the numbers, so my eyes are always on the road. Doesn't take away from the fact that its a distraction, but I'm a rock-hard badass, I go 100 miles per hour through life on my motorcycle, don't look back, take no prisoners, leave a good looking corpse, bang skanky chicks without rubbers, send money to nigerian princesses, and you can suck my d!ck if you have a problem with it.

Pablo
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Nah..I gotta have a free hand for my beer..

Inspector
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
No, texting disturbs my naps.

RJ
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Texting while driving is foolish behavior and inconsiderate of others.

My wife's 20 year old cousin died in a car crash last year. He was texting while driving about 65 mph on I-25. With his eyes not watching the road he drifted on to the shoulder. When he realized what was happening he over-corrected and rolled his vehicle. He was killed immediately, his girlfriend fortunately lived.

He was a good kid, his mom misses him horribly. Stupid way to die, stupid thing to do.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Texting while driving is foolish behavior and inconsiderate of others.

My wife's 20 year old cousin died in a car crash last year. He was texting while driving about 65 mph on I-25. With his eyes not watching the road he drifted on to the shoulder. When he realized what was happening he over-corrected and rolled his vehicle. He was killed immediately, his girlfriend fortunately lived.

He was a good kid, his mom misses him horribly. Stupid way to die, stupid thing to do.

Was he wearing his seatbelt? Just curious.

RJ
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Good question. I don't recall, maybe my wife will know.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't have to look at what I'm typing much, and for common words I know the minimum of what I have to type before it fills it in for me, but I never take my eyes off the road for more than a second or two. Again, I don't text if I'm closely following someone, especially at highway speeds.

It's probably more likely that I'd get into a wreck because someone in front of me slammed on their brakes while I was looking over my shoulder to check my blind spot than because of texting.

I'm sure they have better reaction times, but they already don't have much driving experience, and you're reducing their concentration on top of that. If I mixed my 17yo driving habits with a cell phone, I'd be f***ed.

A second or two is all it really takes. I'm guilty of doing things like that too, but I have looked away for a couple seconds and had to have corrected my steering because I veered off a bit.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
http://cjonline.com/stories/020909/bre_texting.shtml

Key message: KHP down on texting, driving
The Capital-Journal
Published Monday, February 9, 2009 at 2:54 p.m. CST

The Kansas Highway Patrol today offered a heavy message for motorists who like texting while behind the wheel.
Print E-mail Comment

Sending, reading and writing messages on a cell phone is dangerous at the least and lethal at the worst, said KHP Maj. Mark Bruce.

“It is no surprise that the ability to safely operate a vehicle diminishes as our attention is divided in the performance of multiple tasks such as driving and sending, reading and writing text messages,” Bruce told the House Transportation Committee.

The committee gathered testimony today on House Bill 2132, which would make it illegal for driver of a vehicle in Kansas to engage in text messaging. The highway patrol and the Kansas Department of Transportation endorsed the legislation.

Pete Bodyk, manager of the traffic safety section in the transportation department, said seven states and the District of Columbia ban texting while driving. Nine other states prohibit novice drivers from driving while using a texting device.

“Far too many lives are lost on our highways each year,” Bodyk said. “Any law that removes a distraction from a driver will contribute to making all travelers in Kansas safer.”

RJ
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM

I asked and yes, he was.

Which is sort of interesting. He wore a seat belt, most likely because it was a law and had been ingrained in him since childhood. But he was texting while driving on the freeway. With his seat belt on. Ironic.

I'm old enough to remember when seat belt laws evoked the same reactions as cell phone laws. Now, most people don't want to ride in a car without a seat belt.