PDA

View Full Version : Life What is the longest you've ever stayed awake continuously?

cdcox
02-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Inspired by easy Guinness record thread. It gets really tough after 40 hours in my many experiences. It's a little easier if I'm working on something or moving around, but once I park my butt in front of the TV, it's snoozeville.

Caffeine the only allowable drug. No 5 minute cat naps.

Hammock Parties
02-09-2009, 12:09 AM
About 40-some-odd hours.

unothadeal
02-09-2009, 12:09 AM
27 hours.

T-post Tom
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
6 days.

Buehler445
About 20. But everytime I have pulled late nights, it has been studying. And it is more effective to murder my brain and then get a few hours of sleep and hit it again in the morning.

big nasty kcnut
72 hours. 3liter coke will do the trick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
I made it to around 30 once, and things were getting weird then. I couldn't imagine staying up much longer than that

Edit: Now that I think about it I know there was time where I worked all day, stayed up all night and then worked the next day again, so it's probably closer to 40. Looking back, I have no idea how the hell I pulled that off.

Basileus777
02-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Probably about 35 hours.

Mr. Flopnuts
Once I get into the 40 hour range I need drugs or a bed. By that time it really doesn't matter which one.

FAX
3 days/2 nights.

I was seeing things. And, they weren't all super nice, either.

FAX

doomy3
72 hours. 3liter coke will do the trick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Where can I find one of those 3 liters?

cdcox
6 days.

I find this difficult to believe, but would be entertained to hear the circumstances.

doomy3
02-09-2009, 12:13 AM
42 hours

Buehler445
02-09-2009, 12:13 AM
CD, I think you have your ><'s pointed the wrong direction.

cdcox
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
> means greater than.

Hammock Parties
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
I wonder how long you could stay awake if you went and pumped iron every time you started feeling a little groggy.

FAX
02-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I vaguely recall the very end of that deal. It was as though I were transported to another dimension. The air was thick and difficult to walk through, I couldn't understand what people were saying to me as if their speech was recorded then slowed down, and my motor reflexes were almost uncontrollable. Then, when I finally went to bed, I thought I was going to be sick. But when unconsciousness overtook me, I slept for 48 hours straight. Then I had to pee. Bad. Real bad.

FAX

T-post Tom
02-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I find this difficult to believe, but would be entertained to hear the circumstances.

Nothing exciting. I've suffered from insomnia since age 14. Runs in the family. I average 4 hrs a night. Based on recent studies, I should be dead. I went six days when I was 17. I went on a roadtrip with some friends and it got out of hand. Slept for over 15 hours afterward. So I guess I set two personal records with one event.

Hammock Parties
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I vaguely recall the very end of that deal. It was as though I were transported to another dimension. The air was thick and difficult to walk through, I couldn't understand what people were saying to me as if their speech was recorded then slowed down, and my motor reflexes were almost uncontrollable. Then, when I finally went to bed, I thought I was going to be sick. But when unconsciousness overtook me, I slept for 48 hours straight. Then I had to pee. Bad. Real bad.

FAX

I read a book where a guy thought he was being abducted by aliens when he hit the 50-something hour mark. It was just his care crew putting him down for a nap, because he was endangering himself or something.

Hammock Parties
02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Here it is:

FAX, there is an interesting theory, which I put some stock in, that alien abductions are completely hallucinated by sleep-deprived people. This dude went on a sleep-dep bike race (each biker had a support group), and at the 40-hour mark he collapsed. His group put him down for an hour's nap. When he woke up he got on the bike, and then immediately started hallucinating that his group's trailer was a UFO. He went nuts, they took him down again, and he hallucinated that they were aliens ****ing with him. He woke up six hours later with no memory of the event or the "lost time," i.e. what abductees often report experiencing.

Very interesting theory. I better get to bed.

cdcox
02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Nothing exciting. I've suffered from insomnia since age 14. Runs in the family. I average 4 hrs a night. Based on recent studies, I should be dead. I went six days when I was 17. I went on a roadtrip with some friends and it got out of hand. Slept for over 15 hours afterward. So I guess I set two personal records with one event.

Sorry to hear of your sleeping difficulties. That must suck. Most of my sleep troubles are self-inflicted (choices, not medically caused).

Buehler445
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
> means greater than.

I know, but if I were setting it up, I would have tiered it as less than 24, less than 48, etc. Most of the surveys I've seen are that way.

It is of no consequence though.

I'm going to bed.

cdcox
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM

FAX

I've gone all night and worked through the following day and then stayed up late on a few occasions, but I don't think I've ever gone much past 42 hours. Based on those experiences, I think this is what would await me on the second all nighter.

T-post Tom
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I read a book where a guy thought he was being abducted by aliens when he hit the 50-something hour mark. It was just his care crew putting him down for a nap, because he was endangering himself or something.

So how did the 'care crew' explain the anal probe? :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM
During my hell week as a pledge, I got a grand total of about 2.5 hours of sleep over the period of about 5 days, but I managed to catch at least 15-30 minutes a day.

FAX
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM

It doesn't surprise me. Sleep deprivation is strange stuff. Apparently, the mind goes haywire and starts "creating" its own reality because it can't properly interpret what the senses are delivering. My experience (near the end) was as though I were traversing a completely different world where things were familiar - just wrong somehow. The scary part is not having control of your body. For example, just reaching for a cup of coffee was difficult because I couldn't gauge the distance or the exact position of the cup. Weird stuff like that.

At that point, I would have gladly paid $500 for a fistful of mini-whites if I could have been able to get to my wallet.

FAX

Miles
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Where can I find one of those 3 liters?

Look for a biker gang?

CoMoChief
02-09-2009, 01:13 AM
72 hours easily. Lots of Aderol (sp?) during Mardi Gras weekend in Soulard will do that to you.

unothadeal
02-09-2009, 01:14 AM
87 hours long

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284020/

Craqhead
02-09-2009, 01:27 AM
With or w/out drugs?

w/out drugs was close too 90 hours. Was in Turkey when i found out my Dad had passed.
Got a flight early am the next day there. Couldn't sleep that night. Flew too KCI, a day's travel. Spent the night w/ family, and the next day at funural. Left Lexington, MO and drove 1hour south of Wichita, Ks. Ate my dinner, laid my head on the table and went into a coma for the next 2 days. Woke up 30+ hours later.

mcan
02-09-2009, 02:33 AM
The most I've ever pulled was 2 all nighters in a row. I've done this several times though. I used to have weekend Madden or movie binges. There was also a time around 2001 when I had two jobs and one of them was the midnight to eight shift as a security guard. I posted a BUNCH on here back then, and I was always sleep deprived.

One time my schedule went like this:
4:00 PM - Wake up and go to work at the mall.
12:00 AM - Go to work as a security guard
9:00 AM - Go work out.
10:30 AM - Go to school
12:00 PM - Come home and eat
12:30 PM - Go to bed.

There were a few times where I had something to do and just COULDN'T get to sleep in that 3 1/2 hour window. I remember this happening twice in row one time, and I planned on sleeping all night Friday night (since I didn't have school or work), but instead I met these girls at school friday afternoon and we decided to go get something to eat and go see a movie that night. I ended up hanging out with them after two all nighters and just about pulled a third. It was about 60 hours. I was busy enough though that I didn't have any serious side effects except for feeling giggly and talking a lot about stupid stuff. It was like being drunk.

RustShack
02-09-2009, 02:53 AM
12?

Mecca
02-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Caffeine doesn't do shit for keeping me awake...

Once I start getting passed 30 hours I feel very groggy and draggish. Of course if you do Coke you can be up for about 10 days so there's that.

Miles
02-09-2009, 03:33 AM
40 or so is probably the most I have gone with no sleep at all. There have been more than a few times that I have woken up one morning and not made it back to sleep till later on the following evening because of shit I had to do.

BigRock
02-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I had Paul Bearer call out to California - San Fernando Valley to some associates of ours at the Local 81 - Paul said we're gonna need two bikes for a ride in the desert.

The guy said "Brother Paul, now we know that the Dead Man can handle it, but I don't know about the Big Show. It's August, it's 120 degrees in the middle of Death Valley." He says "The only things that survive in the desert are the cold-blooded...the snakes and the lizards."

Paul said "That's all right, and in one of those bikes that you're setting up for us, I want the Big Show to only have enough gas to get to the middle of the desert and not get back."

So we're on our way - we get to the middle of Death Valley - 120 degrees, the Big Show's bike runs out of gas. And I pull up next to him and I ask him this question: "It's 120 degrees, how are you gonna survive?"

He looks me straight in the eyes, without hesitation, he says "I'm gonna wait 'til you go to sleep, I'm gonna stab you in the back, I'm gonna cut your flesh off, make a coat out of it, and I'm gonna eat YOUR flesh until I find food."

I said "Good answer, big man. But I don't sleep."

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-09-2009, 04:50 AM
When I was in Vietnam I stayed awake for nearly 3 years.

Miles
02-09-2009, 05:03 AM
When I was in Vietnam I stayed awake for nearly 3 years.

I think there was an x-files episode about you then.

MIAdragon
02-09-2009, 05:20 AM
6 days.

on crack.

MIAdragon
02-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Ive pulled several 48+ in my days in the Navy.

kc rush
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Probably around 60 hours when I was in college. I know I was stupid loopy after that.

I did end up staying up around 40 hours a couple of weeks ago trying to get some things done before a deadline. Even after getting 10 hours of sleep and at least 8 hours every night for the next few nights, I was dragging all week. Normally I get 5-6 hours of sleep each night and am fine, but I just couldn't seem to catch up.

Nzoner
02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
36 hours during a couple of the Planet Bashes and on my first ever trip to Vegas.

EyePod
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
The Guinness record is 11 days. They broke it during that show that they used to have. By the end, teh guy was completely delirious. And he didn't need a full 11 days rest to get back to normal. It was something like 36 hours, and he was rested.

***SPRAYER
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
With or without Rock Star energy drink?

rockymtnchief
02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
64 hours. Adrenaline from being around bucking bulls kept me awake. Then went home and fell asleep once the g/f got on top during sex. Slept 7 hours and was fine.

Pennywise
02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
64 hours. Adrenaline from being around bucking bulls kept me awake.

Did they have cocaine and speed on their backs?

R&GHomer
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Right at 4 days. I'll tell you what, that was a horrible experience. NTC sucked bawls that time. Every time it was my turn to sleep we jumped. I truly hit my breaking point...lol If I had live ammo, I probably would have shot one of those OC's. Ass hat threw CS in my shelter half. Well, not really. He threw it, and it rolled down the hill into my tent. That my friends was the last straw. 115 degrees, I hadn't taken a shower in 2 weeks and going on 4 days with no sleep. Homer was angry :)

Cheater5
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Absolutely zero sleep? Then just under 72 hours.

15-30-60 minute 'rest' periods? about 58 days.

Class 7-92

StcChief
02-09-2009, 09:32 AM
26 hrs.