PDA

View Full Version : News I bought a jar of Goober Grape.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
My mom would never buy this for me when we went to the grocery store. It was either too expensive, not on sale, or she didn't have a coupon for it. I sensed she just wanted to deny me the pleasure of this ingenious invention, where peanut butter meets jelly, in the same jar.

I bought a jar today at our local Hy-Vee for $2.99. That seemed like a fair price, as I have passed it up many times during previous trips to the grocery store the last 9 years i've been an independent person. Tonight, was the pinnacle of my achievement as an adult.

Now, I await tomorrows lunch, which will feature a goober grape sandwich. The surrounding cast, will really not matter.

Donger
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
You like to live dangerously?

RJ
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
That's the beauty of being a grown up. You can eat a goober grape sandwich whenever you want and you never have to finish your vegetables.

kcxiv
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
haha, i know what you mean. I was kinda the same way growing up. Was really poor and had to settle for the lesser brand stuff. haha

I get where he is coming from on that.

Donger
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
If you want salmonella poisoning, just suck on a raw chicken breast.

CHENZ A!
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Me too! My mom would never buy that stuff. I finally got ahold of a jar of that when I was like a jr in HS, I worked at a grocery store and smoked a lot of pot. Damn near ate the whole thing, haven't had it since, but man was it good. You are in for a treat.

I think they make a strawberry kind too.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM

I don't really care about that, this will be worth it, poison or no.

Bugeater
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I can't believe you waited 9 years for this.

Mecca
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Me too! My mom would never buy that stuff. I finally got ahold of a jar of that when I was like a jr in HS, I worked at a grocery store and smoked a lot of pot. Damn near ate the whole thing, haven't had it since, but man was it good. You are in for a treat.

I think they make a strawberry kind too.

Picturing someone getting high and just eating a jar of that with a spoon is hilarious.

CHENZ A!
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Picturing someone getting high and just eating a jar of that with a spoon is hilarious.

I ate some serious stoner food on occasion back in the day. Makes me want to throw up now. One time a buddy and I made sandwiches with white bread and chocolate icing. I don't even like chocolate that much! :shake:

Phobia
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Your mom is a crazy jewish lady. I'm glad you've finally broken free.

Mecca
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I ate some serious stoner food on occasion back in the day. Makes me want to throw up now. One time a buddy and I made sandwiches with white bread and chocolate icing. I don't even like chocolate that much! :shake:

Damn those were the days, I shoulda been there.

CHENZ A!
02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Damn those were the days, I shoulda been there.

you might've been for all I know. LMAO

Saulbadguy
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
One time a buddy and I made sandwiches with white bread and chocolate icing. I don't even like chocolate that much! :shake:

That's awesome.

Mecca
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
you might've been for all I know. LMAO

Well I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school...

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Why do Jack in the Box Tacos taste better after 10pm?

"How many should I order?"

"Like a hundred."

"THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKIN!!!"

Fish
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Also... gummi bears come in 5lb. bags.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Why do Jack in the Box Tacos taste better after 10pm?

"How many should I order?"

"Like a hundred."

"THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKIN!!!"

I got it wrong.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWVnPlUCrf8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWVnPlUCrf8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mikey23545
02-10-2009, 06:49 AM

Quit being such an old lady.

Demonpenz
02-10-2009, 07:37 AM
My dad would never buy cookie crisp when I moved out I finally bought one. WTF I figured it would be crushed up chocolate chip cookies, but it is like a cereral. Who wants that. So I just bought some chocolate chip cookies and crunched them up and poored milk over them. Best day of my life

PhillyChiefFan
02-10-2009, 07:50 AM
It does save a lot of time and space in the cupboard.

Goapics1
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Do they still make green ketchup or purple ketchup? I always wanted to try that stuff.

PhillyChiefFan
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm gonna go make a bacon explosion...be right back.

Saulbadguy
02-10-2009, 08:23 AM
The sandwich is made, it awaits me. Around 11:30, Goober Grape nirvana.

Fat Elvis
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
It is a HUGE disappointment. The peanut butter sucks as does the jam. It is much, much better to get quality peanut butter and quality jam/jelly. The novelty of the ready to go PB&J wears off after the first bite because you've already had the "woot" moment of smearing your PB&J onto bread in one fell swoop. Look at it this way: using separate PB and J will allow you to vary the J--and let you lick off the knife in between (unless you are married, in which case, just do it when the wife isn't looking).

Sully
02-10-2009, 09:14 AM
You know I could go for a sandwich, but uh, I’m not gonna open TWO jars! I can’t be opening and closing all kinds of jars… cleaning, who KNOWS how many knives!?!” If you’re that lazy, why not put croutons in there and get the whole sandwich on a spoon. You know, just scoopin’ it out… “Mmm…Oh, scrumptious!! I think I’m gonna have another one. Uh, mmmmm… DELECTABLE!! As was the first!” Or if you don’t wanna clean the spoon, you put it all in a squeeze bottle. “Mmmm! Lunch and no clean up!! Can life get better? I submit that it CANNOT!!”

Fat Elvis
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Goober Grape nirvana.

It will be more Krist Novoselik and less Dave Grohl....

El Jefe
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
It is a HUGE disappointment. The peanut butter sucks as does the jam. It is much, much better to get quality peanut butter and quality jam/jelly. The novelty of the ready to go PB&J wears off after the first bite because you've already had the "woot" moment of smearing your PB&J onto bread in one fell swoop. Look at it this way: using separate PB and J will allow you to vary the J--and let you lick off the knife in between (unless you are married, in which case, just do it when the wife isn't looking).

QFT. I worked at Kroger in High School, and I like the OP never had a chance to taste that wonderful product, until I purchased it on my own. It is not very good at all, to be frank, it sucked.

RINGLEADER
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
So did it live up to expectations?

I always wanted Goober Grape but when I finally reached adulthood and was able to buy it myself I seem to remember the peanut butter tasted more like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cub and less like peanut butter.

Bob Dole
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Hell, Bob Dole used to just eat the can of ready-made frosting with a spoon.

El Jefe
So did it live up to expectations?

I always wanted Goober Grape but when I finally reached adulthood and was able to buy it myself I seem to remember the peanut butter tasted more like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cub and less like peanut butter.

He said he was going to eat it at 11:30am, so he hasn't partaken of it yet.

Saulbadguy
Hell, Bob Dole used to just eat the can of ready-made frosting with a spoon.

Good w/ graham crackers too.

El Jefe
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
11:30am count down to your verdict.

blueballs
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
The Gober Grape factory shut down in 1973
the 50 year expiraton date is still a ways off

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
My dad would never buy cookie crisp when I moved out I finally bought one. WTF I figured it would be crushed up chocolate chip cookies, but it is like a cereral. Who wants that. So I just bought some chocolate chip cookies and crunched them up and poored milk over them. Best day of my life

I wanted Count Chocula but my folks would never go for it. Thank God for Grandma's!
I fuckin' LOVE cereal. I go to the store and buy a huge bag of generic Crunch Berries, and always grab a handful coming and going from the kitchen.

The sandwich is made, it awaits me. Around 11:30, Goober Grape nirvana.

It will be more Krist Novoselik and less Dave Grohl....

Or HOLE.

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
My stoner-chow invention:

Hot Dogs with Prego and cheese singles:

The Talli-Dog!

(Italian Dog)

mikeyis4dcats.
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
T-minus 25 minutes...

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
T-minus 25 minutes...

Goober drooling imminent.

Buck
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
God Bless You Saul.

I stopped by the grocery store this morning to pick up some bagels and some bread, and I passed by the Goober Grape and I picked up a jar myself. The whole office is having PB&J for lunch today.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
...we do not have that up here in Canada - I guess it is sold to increase your BMI so you pay higher taxes down there.

Buck
02-10-2009, 11:48 AM
...we do not have that up here in Canada - I guess it is sold to increase your BMI so you pay higher taxes down there.

http://philzine.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/south-park-canada-on-strike.jpg

The Franchise
02-10-2009, 11:49 AM
It's not that good really. I tried some a couple years ago....and it's WAYYYYY overrated.

jAZ
02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
It took you 9 years to save up $2.99?

Times are tough NOW, but 9 years ago was height of the internet bubble. You should have made your move back in early 2000. JMO.

Bweb
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
So what was the verdict?

Saulbadguy
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
It was pretty good. I will enjoy the remainder of the jar.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
It was pretty good. I will enjoy the remainder of the jar.

Wow, that's a ringing endorsement! LMAO

foxman
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I havent had that in YEARS. I recall not being all that thrilled with it the last time I had it.

Saulbadguy
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow, that's a ringing endorsement! LMAO

It was about what I expected - it is pretty sweet, and the consistency is about the same as a reeses peanut butter cup. I normally prefer chunky peanut butter so it was kind of odd.

I think it would be better to eat on it its own, to be honest.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
It was about what I expected - it is pretty sweet, and the consistency is about the same as a reeses peanut butter cup. I normally prefer chunky peanut butter so it was kind of odd.

I think it would be better to eat on it its own, to be honest.

That sounds like a great mix for a Hershey's super-dark and sweet chocolate bar.

Frosty
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I have never tried the peanut butter/jelly mix but I was really disappointed with the peanut butter/chocolate mix in a jar (I don't remember what it was called). I love Reeses but this stuff sucked. Bad peanut butter and bad chocolate in a pasty mix. :shake:

Fish
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
When I was a kid, all I wanted was a bathtub full of gummi bears. Quality gummi bears not that overly corn syruped dime store crap. Haribo Gold Bears bitches. Unlimited supplies of them. I was convinced that was all I needed to be happy in life.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516TRDRWWKL._SS500_.jpg

I haven't filled up a tub yet, but I do have a few bags of these on hand at all times. Best gummi bears ever. Those Germans know their ****ing gummi bears. No letdown in satisfaction. This is the only candy I ever need.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mxehVTUnt6A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>