PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports FMXer Jeremy Lusk dies...

headsnap
02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Freestyle motocross racer Jeremy Lusk dies

Jeremy Lusk, an American freestyle motocross racer, died of head injuries Tuesday after crashing while trying to land a backflip in competition. He was 24.

Jorge Ramirez, chief of the intensive care unit at Calderon Hospital where Lusk was taken, said the motocross racer suffered severe brain damage and a possible spinal cord injury.

Lusk won a gold medal at the 2008 X Games. He was injured Saturday night when he failed to complete a full rotation while attempting a Hart Attack backflip and slammed headfirst into the dirt. Lusk crashed in almost identical fashion in the freestyle semifinals at the 2007 X Games but was not hurt.

He had a successful 2008 season, winning Freestyle gold at the X Games and silver in Best Trick when he landed the first double-grab Hart Attack backflip. He won a bronze helmet in Freestyle at the Moto X World Championships in his hometown of San Diego.

Ramirez said Lusk died with his parents and his wife, Lauren, at his side.

“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his organism responded,” he said. “That didn’t mean he was going to wake up. He was in shock and that got worse last night, until he stopped responding and entered into cardiac and respiratory failure.”

Lusk lived in Temecula, Calif.

Donger
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his organism responded,” he said.

What a charming bedside manner. I love doctors who refer to me as an organism.

Otter
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Just read this on news site. I hope this doesn't sound morbid but it's really quiet amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often the way these guys push the envelope.

He was truly a master of his art. RIP brother.

Otter
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM

I think it was supposed to be 'organs'.

Bowser
02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Way too young.

Gonzo
02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Dude... Seriously?

Demonpenz
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Hate to loose one of our own, but pushing our body machines to the max is what we do.

KcMizzou
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
It's amazing this doesn't happen more often. Some of the stuff those guys do is insane.

KcMizzou
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Just read this on news site. I hope this doesn't sound morbid but it's really quiet amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often the way these guys push the envelope.

He was truly a master of his art. RIP brother.Err, what Otter said...

Simplex3
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Video here:

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/02/10/jeremy-lusk-dies-at-24-of-injuries-sustained-in-motorcycle-crash/

Buck
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Video here:

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/02/10/jeremy-lusk-dies-at-24-of-injuries-sustained-in-motorcycle-crash/

Damn, it doesn't look like he hit THAT hard, just that he got real twisted up.

RIP

The Franchise
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Damn, it doesn't look like he hit THAT hard, just that he got real twisted up.

RIP

Yeah but I don't think your neck and back are supposed to bend like that.

Midnight_Vulture
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
RIP

I could of gotten into motorcross but it is just waaaay too dangerous.

On a side note, his wife (now widow) is smokin hot.

Jerm
02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow, nasty landing...shocked that didn't snap his neck instantly.

bogey
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
That's a shame. RIP young daredevil.

Buck
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
RIP

Classy.

Chief Chief
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
In remembrance of this freestyle motocross racer, they should as a minimum change the name of his final maneuver, "Hart Attack", to the more appropriate "Severe Brain Damage And A Possible Spinal Cord Injury".

Demonpenz
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
In remembrance of this freestyle motocross racer, they should as a minimum change the name of his final maneuver, "Hart Attack", to the more appropriate "Severe Brain Damage And A Possible Spinal Cord Injury".

your joke came up alittle short

jAZ
02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Lanugage barrier... he was in Costa Rica at the time.

Buck
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Heres a video of him crashing doing the same exact trick, and falling almost exactly the same and walking away unscathed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRqg1_Mnn4A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRqg1_Mnn4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It looks like he bent the opposite way on this video.

prhom
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
If only these incidents were publicized as much as the glamorous stunts that don't end up with someone dying maybe we'd have fewer dumbsh**s out there trying to be "extreme". At least he didn't leave any kids behind...the story didn't say, but I hope not.

shakesthecat
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I remember watching the X Games last year and thinking all of those guys are f'ing crazy.

R.I.P.

headsnap
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
If only these incidents were publicized as much as the glamorous stunts that don't end up with someone dying maybe we'd have fewer dumbsh**s out there trying to be "extreme". At least he didn't leave any kids behind...the story didn't say, but I hope not.

He had a wife and a daughter...

:(

googlegoogle
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
googled his image and it showed recent marriage to nice looking girl.

sad stuff. rip.

Valiant
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Watched the wipeout on break.com before they took the video down.. He hit hard and went limp on impact..

This impact seemed ten times worse then the video above..

DJJasonp
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM

They showed the footage on the news at 5pm tonight here in San Diego....quite honestly I was shocked they showed it. Usually, out of respect for the deceased, tv stations dont show footage of people dying.

Reerun_KC
02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
RIP

Seriously? are you always a cockholster?

jAZ
02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
They showed the footage on the news at 5pm tonight here in San Diego....quite honestly I was shocked they showed it. Usually, out of respect for the deceased, tv stations dont show footage of people dying.

Me too... they showed it on MSNBC this morning. Thought the same thing.

Valiant
02-11-2009, 02:35 AM

Well technically he did not die during the incident..

Guess it is like showing car wrecks on tv and then finding out later they passed at the hospital...

PhillyChiefFan
02-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Sad story.

I am sorry for his family.

RIP

PhillyChiefFan
02-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Me too... they showed it on MSNBC this morning. Thought the same thing.

They still show Owen Hart's fall from the rafters at Kemper Arena occationally, I continue to be surprised by that because his fall was nasty.

MahiMike
02-11-2009, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=Otter;5476744]Just read this on news site. I hope this doesn't sound morbid but it's really quiet amazing this kind of thing doesn't happen more often the way these guys push the envelope.

I'm always thinking the same thing. Used to be you could just watch a dirtbike race or a slalom ski competition and be content. Now you have to have guys getting "crazy" air to be exciting. At the end, someone's always drinking their sponsor's energy drink.

No wonder my kid quit baseball. Takes too much to excite them anymore.

EyePod
02-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Wow, nasty landing...shocked that didn't snap his neck instantly.

I know. It would not have been a crowd-pleaser if his head just popped off and rolled around..

BigRedChief
02-11-2009, 07:23 AM
They still show Owen Hart's fall from the rafters at Kemper Arena occationally, I continue to be surprised by that because his fall was nasty.
I was working in the ER the day he was brought in. I was bagging the guy but he was dead before he made it to us. When he hit the ropes or floor a rib broke and ripped through his heart.

Jerm
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
He hit the corner turnbuckle.

One of the worst days of my life considering I was there at the PPV...was beyond horrific esp. when he was confirmed dead.

Chief Chief
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
your joke came up alittle short

Just like his landing, my good sir...just like his landing...

morphius
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Wonder if he is a related to Ezra, the older motocross racer. Always kind of rooted for him as I thought the name sounded cool.

Shame, for Jeremy and his family. Such a dangerous sport, something like this was going to happen eventually, but its always bad when it does. RIP.

smittysbar
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Have you guys watched Nitro circus on MTV, it premiered this week. Shows you just how nutty these guys are. Travis Pastrana is a freestyle god.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
RIP

I could HAVE been an astronaut, but you know, some things came up......dumbass.

KcMizzou
02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Have you guys watched Nitro circus on MTV, it premiered this week. Shows you just how nutty these guys are. Travis Pastrana is a freestyle god.I saw that. I was surprised that big guy who missed the foam pit didn't break his back.

Bweb
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
RIP

You, midnight vulture, are a douchebag!

smittysbar
02-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I saw that. I was surprised that big guy who missed the foam pit didn't break his back.

Was that not a ride? Holy shit, crotch rocket over the pit, front flip, and survive. One guy missed the foam pit and went into the bobcat, I used to race MX, and I thought I was crazy, I DON'T HOLD A CANDLE TO THESE GUYS.

Two words:

FUCKING CRAZY

Reerun_KC
02-12-2009, 06:11 AM
You, midnight vulture, are a douchebag!

I propose a name change for the mods?

Midnight_Vulture to Midnight_DoucheNozzle

Anyone want to second that?