PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So I watched highlights of Stafford and Sanchez

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:01 AM
And man... Stafford looks a lot more like a franchise QB than Sanchez does. When you look at these reels side by side it's just no comparison.

I watch this highlight of Sanchez and I think "That's decent.. there is potential. Kind of iffy though"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_rib5nD5P0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_rib5nD5P0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Then I watch this and think to myself "Now this is a NFL QB"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2nVLO39wB4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2nVLO39wB4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What do you guys think?

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Well Sanchez has better feet by a huge degree...notice how he sets up and throws nearly everytime while Stafford well doesn't.

Dave Lane
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Highlights

Goapics1
02-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Well Sanchez has better feet by a huge degree...notice how he sets up and throws nearly everytime while Stafford well doesn't.

Says the guy with an "unbiased" opinion.

BigChiefFan
02-11-2009, 09:10 AM
That sure looks like Stafford is lined up in the shotgun in most of those plays.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I have to say, Stafford gives me major wood, but Sanchez looks pretty good to IMO.

Maybe I should reword that.

jidar

What the hell? I showed this to my friends at work and the first thing we all said was that Stafford has better footwork. He plants then throws, even while throwing on the run he squares his shoulders to the sideline. Sanchez never squares up even when given time to and it gives him the impression of having happy feet.

Hog's Gone Fishin
Sanchez > Favre

Stafford < Croyle

jidar
That sure looks like Stafford is lined up in the shotgun in most of those plays.

That's true and it makes it easier.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
What the hell? I showed this to my friends at work and the first thing we all said was that Stafford has better footwork. He plants then throws, even while throwing on the run he squares his shoulders to the sideline. Sanchez never squares up even when given time to and it gives him the impression of having happy feet.

That's actually completely wrong one of Staffords biggest flaws is he doesn't step into his throws so it affects his accuracy.

talastan
Was it me or did Stafford sit in the shotgun alot? I'm not on any QB bandwagon, either of them look good to me, but I'm just wondering if the shotgun is such a no-no according to some of the draft gurus here wouldn't this hurt Stafford? :shrug: I know he plays under center quite a bit but most of the highlights on here seemed to show him in the gun making plays. Just curious what everyone's opinion is on this. Does he not make that many good plays under center or does UG just run most of the time he is under center? Just curious.

Mecca

Now now, lets not go down that road again.

the Talking Can
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
look at throw at the 3:55 mark for Stafford....40 yard lazer into double coverage...over a CB and in front of a safety...and listen to the commentary...that's what we're drafting....

Sweet Daddy Hate
That's true and it makes it easier.

Great Point!

Spit Bubble, Superhero of True Fans, salutes you!

http://www.troubleinrivercity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/super-retard.jpg

Mecca
Was it me or did Stafford sit in the shotgun alot? I'm not on any QB bandwagon, either of them look good to me, but I'm just wondering if the shotgun is such a no-no according to some of the draft gurus here wouldn't this hurt Stafford? :shrug: I know he plays under center quite a bit but most of the highlights on here seemed to show him in the gun making plays. Just curious what everyone's opinion is on this. Does he not make that many good plays under center or does UG just run most of the time he is under center? Just curious.

UGA has a very simplistic offense, atleast in comparison to SC...he's more naturally gifted than Sanchez is as far as his arm and things like that but I don't think he's quite as polished in say his footwork and mechanics.

They're both top of the line prospects but Sanchez is playing in a more NFL base offense when you put them side by side.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
That's actually completely wrong one of Staffords biggest flaws is he doesn't step into his throws so it affects his accuracy.

Maybe that's the word on Stafford, but this highlight reel does not show that. Still.. highlights.

Brock
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I like them both almost equally. 1. and 1a.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Great Point!

Spit Bubble, Superhero of True Fans, salutes you!

What the fuck is this shit?

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
the video quality is better on the stafford video....

No, seriously - I can see being happy with either one, my personal opinion. but what I first noticed with Sanchez, the deep ball, he throws it alot, most of them it looked awesome, hitting the WR on the run. But more into the video he started forcing that long ball a few times. Maybe it was just the offensive schemes or something, not a big USC fan so don't watch their games. He also seemed to be alittle unsettled in the pocket, dancing with his feet alot.

From Stafford's video, I first noticed he was making "all the throws", quick outs, slants and the long ball, he has everybit of arm strength any team needs, he seemed more comfortable in the pocket and when he did run, he is a fast falking QB, for a white boy....

Next I need someone who hates both of these QB's to make a "worst of" video for us. So we can see what really happened when they got sacked, threw an INT, etc.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
What I would say is physically Stafford is a better prospect, intangibles wise Sanchez is a better prospect, it's what you prefer although neither guy is bad at the other.

And yes Sanchez had to do some moving and avoiding in the pocket he faced far more pressure then I think some people realize because well it's USC.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM

I was thinking this too, I heard the announcers saying third down in alot of those stafford highlights. I'd guess that it was more just that's when he's shined the most for a highligt reel. why was it third and long is my first question.

and Mecca; Stafford looked faster when running, and more comfortable in the pocket. The announcers even said "look at him step into his throws" a couple times during the highlights. Sanchez impresses me, but he does look "nervous" in the pocket.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
the video quality is better on the stafford video....

No, seriously - I can see being happy with either one, my personal opinion. but what I first noticed with Sanchez, the deep ball, he throws it alot, most of them it looked awesome, hitting the WR on the run. But more into the video he started forcing that long ball a few times. Maybe it was just the offensive schemes or something, not a big USC fan so don't watch their games. He also seemed to be alittle unsettled in the pocket, dancing with his feet alot.

From Stafford's video, I first noticed he was making "all the throws", quick outs, slants and the long ball, he has everybit of arm strength any team needs, he seemed more comfortable in the pocket and when he did run, he is a fast falking QB, for a white boy....

Next I need someone who hates both of these QB's to make a "worst of" video for us. So we can see what really happened when they got sacked, threw an INT, etc.

I didn't see enough to evaluate Sanchezs deep ball really. His receivers were wide open and I never saw him hitting the deep sideline route the way you want a QB to in the NFL. Stafford had that throw twice in his highlights.. and like you said, he had every throw actually.

talastan
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM

This.

It would be better and more constructive IMO to see both the good and the bad of each. However since most of these youtube vids are generally fan videos I doubt that will happen.

Sam Hall
02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
obligatory

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
This.

It would be better and more constructive IMO to see both the good and the bad of each. However since most of these youtube vids are generally fan videos I doubt that will happen.

This is about as good as you're gonna get...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNwVfPNhYtI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNwVfPNhYtI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3l0OIqYkwz0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3l0OIqYkwz0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's all of their passes from 1 game a piece.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
What do you guys think?

I think Stafford has great receivers. I also think that a highlight reel against a 7-win team that lost it's Bowl Game doesn't tell me shit.

I ALSO think that if you're struggling to pull off one against Michigan State; your not impressing me.

Johnny Vegas
I watch the highlights and I see very little 5-10 yard throws and more 15-25+ yard throws that are dead accurate and are quick to the receiver.

Stafford is more in a shot gun and the ball has isn't as quick to the receiver and accuracy is a little off.

I like Sanchez, but not his experience. Its real cleche, I know.

milkman

Mecca is right.

From a mechanical standpoint, Sanchez is ahead of Stafford.

They both have tremendous upside, but Sanchez has gotten better coaching, is more mature, and although Stafford has started more games, he (Sanchez) is more NFL ready.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 09:25 AM
This.

We've been through the "gaff reel" on Sanchez before, but if Mecca will post it again, I wish he would.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Mecca is right.

They both have tremendous upside, but Sanchez has gotten better coaching, is more mature, and although Stafford has started more games, he (Sanchez) is more NFL ready.

I have no idea how you're getting this mechanical standpoint argument from those highlight reels. Maybe that's the story on these QBs outside of this context, I don't pay attention to the pundits much, but that sure as shit isn't what I'm seeing in those videos.

milkman
I didn't see enough to evaluate Sanchezs deep ball really. His receivers were wide open and I never saw him hitting the deep sideline route the way you want a QB to in the NFL. Stafford had that throw twice in his highlights.. and like you said, he had every throw actually.

The only QBs who will/might have stronger arms in this draft than Sanchez are Stafford and Freeman.

crazycoffey
This.

well, someone with time on their hands should get on it; MEcca - make us a "worst of" video for Stafford, keep the game audio so we can hear what the commentators say about how his footwork sucks, show us everyone of his INTs, so we can see if it was more of just a good Defender, the WR's fault, or if it was a bad decision to throw.

Talking can; you can cover the dirty Sanchez video, or apoint one if you don't have time, I don't know who all hates Sanchez - I'm late to this dance....

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I have no idea how you're getting this mechanical standpoint argument from those highlight reels. Maybe that's the story on these QBs outside of this context, I don't pay attention to the pundits much, but that sure as shit isn't what I'm seeing in those videos.

Watch the 2 videos I posted you see plenty of flat footed throws from Stafford.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Rep for Mecca.

Inspector
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm really leaning to hoping for a Sanchez pick.

Especially if it could happen past the first round.

milkman
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM

I haven't even looked at these reels.

I watched Stafford in about 7 or 8 games this past season, and a couple in the previous season, while watching almost evey USC game.

Perhaps I shuld have said that Sanchez is more consistent with his mechanics.

Sweet Daddy Hate
What the fuck is this shit?

You know, that's EXACTLY the phrase I'd use if the Chiefs were to draft a franchise QB, pay him the big bucks, and then I see him operating out of the shotgun or pistol all fucking day long.

Indeed; what the fuck IS this shit?!

jAZ
I know it's all we as fans have access to, but you can't judge any player by their highlights. Just not an accurate reflection of their entire body of work.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I love how Sanchez shifts in the pocket. There were a few times where blitzers came in unblocked, and Sanchez O'led them at the last second like you're supposed to instead of panicking.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
What I would say is physically Stafford is a better prospect, intangibles wise Sanchez is a better prospect, it's what you prefer although neither guy is bad at the other.

And yes Sanchez had to do some moving and avoiding in the pocket he faced far more pressure then I think some people realize because well it's USC.

I agree.

He made the same throws Stafford did, but made them on the run, or with defenders in his face.

Though Sanchez is my preference, give me either, I think they'll both be excellent pros in the long run.

jAZ
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
This is about as good as you're gonna get...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNwVfPNhYtI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNwVfPNhYtI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3l0OIqYkwz0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3l0OIqYkwz0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's all of their passes from 1 game a piece.

Definately better, and about as good as we can expect.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I know it's all we as fans have access to, but you can't judge any player by their highlights. Just not an accurate reflection of their entire body of work.

You're right but those two videos are every pass attempt from those games, not highlight reels.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Mecca is right.

This.

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
N'rmind

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
As a SC fan I obviously watch all of Sanchez games, he reminds me a little of Roethlisberger in just his uncanny ability to avoid and get away from rushers to complete a pass.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
You know, that's EXACTLY the phrase I'd use if the Chiefs were to draft a franchise QB, pay him the big bucks, and then I see him operating out of the shotgun or pistol all ****ing day long.

Indeed; what the **** IS this shit?!

Um... is this that argument about the spread offense in the NFL? Because Georgia didn't run a spread offense this year, they ran a "pro-style" offense with a lot of different packages.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
No way you can watch the two videos Mecca posted and not walk away very impressed with these prospects.

Great position for the Chiefs.

EyePod
02-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I have to say, Stafford gives me major wood, but Sanchez looks pretty good to IMO.

Maybe I should reword that.

You know how I know you're gay?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2694/40yearold1fm5.jpg

Stafford gives you wood, and Sanchez "looks pretty good."

chiefscafan
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure about Sanchez but I have to agree Stanford seems to throw alot off his back foot and the ball floats on him he needs to learn how to step into the throw.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
This.

Concurrence.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
sanchez has played 1 full season. 1. how many quarterbacks would get drafted in the top 5 after 1 season of experience

beach tribe
02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure about Sanchez but I have to agree Stanford seems to throw alot off his back foot and the ball floats on him he needs to learn how to step into the throw.

Reminds me of Farve. Rocket arm. Poor Mechanics.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
sanchez has played 1 full season. 1. how many quarterbacks would get drafted in the top 5 after 1 season of experience

It might be one less than you think.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Lots, if they came out with Sanchez's tools.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
That throw of Sanchez' at the 5:15 mark?

That's the throw that Thigpen has left woefully short every time he's attempted it.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM

I'll take his 1 year starting and 4 years in a pro offense with complicated NFL caliber terminology with NFL level coaching over any of the spread monkeys that started 3 or 4 years.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I'll take his 1 year starting and 4 years in a pro offense with complicated NFL caliber terminology with NFL level coaching over any of the spread monkeys that started 3 or 4 years.

yeah, howd that work out with leinart and booty

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Who's the last prospect to come out that threw that well on the run?

Another plus for Sanchez - he's just as accurate on the run without setting his feet as he his in the pocket, when he can step up and into his throw.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Lots, if they came out from Sanchez's school.

i think you mean this

Bowser
Hey dipshits, we're taking Crabtree.

*hides behind rock*

OnTheWarpath15
yeah, howd that work out with leinart and booty

Neither of them had anything resembling the tools Sanchez has.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
i think you mean this

No.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM

*hides behind rock*

LMAO

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Neither of them had anything resembling the tools Sanchez has.

meccas main argument is thats hes coming from sc so that automatically makes him better. whatever

ChiefRon
02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Anybody catch the latest Draft chat from scout.com?

Chris Steuber had this to say when asked why he was an idiot for having the Lions take Sanchez #1 overall:

Chris Steuber: Danny: I have to disagree with you; Sanchez, to me, is the best QB in this draft. I understand why everyone thinks Matthew Stafford is the best QB, because of his arm strength. But he's a turnover machine who tries to fit balls into the tightest windows. If he does that at the next level, those windows will get smaller and he will turn the ball over more often. Although Sanchez has only started one year, he's much better with the ball and has a great understanding of an offense. He has a very good arm, excellent touch and has good mobility. I see more upside with Sanchez, because I think Stafford is already a finished product.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/838050.html

FWIW...

morphius
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Looked like Sanchez had to move a lot more, and there was on a lot of roll outs as well, but in his highlights, 95% of the receivers looked like nobody was within 10 yards of them when they caught the ball. His long balls were pretty accurate.

It was hard to judge much on Stafford from the video. His OL seemed to keep him pretty clean, so he wasn't making a lot of throws in distress. His receivers were better covered than Sanchez, but still a lot were pretty wide open.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
meccas main argument is thats hes coming from sc so that automatically makes him better. whatever

That's a complete distortion.

Don't let Meccaitis influence your argument.

jidar
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
It seems that the prevailing winds at CP sway the Sanchez way.

Although it appears that not many people outside of CP agree:
http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

According to that site, which gives a compilation of mock drafts everywhere, Stafford is 90% likely to be the #1 overall pick so I guess the question I should be asking is this "Is Sanchez worth the #3 pick?" Surprisingly, the mock guys don't seem to think so with less than half of them having the Chiefs taking Sanchez. Curiously he falls to the late first round in a lot of them.

We should get a bit of a better picture with the combine coming up in a week.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Uh, then you're not reading, nor have you paid attention on this forum.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 09:58 AM

Apparently, a lot of exchanges on this board are like pissing in the wind.

A person can make a well thought out, cogent point, but everything's lost when it boils down to "I don't like Mecca or USC."

Fuck me.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM

According to that site, which gives a compilation of mock drafts everywhere, Stafford is 90% likely to be the #1 overall pick so I guess the question I should be asking is this "Is Sanchez worth the #3 pick?" Surprisingly, the mock guys don't seem to think so with less than half of them having the Chiefs taking Sanchez. Curiously he falls to the late first round in a lot of them.

And we're talking about people who think Aaron Curry is a top 3 pick, as much as I like Scott Wright and Mike Mayock and all a OLB that high is just stupid.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM

dude he just said hed rather take a guy with 1 year of experience from SC than other guys with 3 or 4 years experience from other schools. biased much?

i think theres 2 reasons sanchez is so hyped going in to the draft right now.

1. he goes to sc. if you're a qb at sc you pretty muched punched your ticket to the nfl already. look at matt cassel.

2. other than stafford there's nobody else. nobody.

sanchez might become a good nfl qb, who knows? nobody knows shit

Johnny Vegas
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I'll say it. I like Sanchez. I've been in denial this whole time. Sanchez for 3rd overall.

Frosty
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
dude he just said hed rather take a guy with 1 year of experience from SC than other guys with 3 or 4 years experience from other schools that run the spread. biased much?

FYP

Mecca
dude he just said hed rather take a guy with 1 year of experience from SC than other guys with 3 or 4 years experience from other schools. biased much?

i think theres 2 reasons sanchez is so hyped going in to the draft right now.

1. he goes to sc. if you're a qb at sc you pretty muched punched your ticket to the nfl already. look at matt cassel.

2. other than stafford there's nobody else. nobody.

sanchez might become a good nfl qb, who knows? nobody knows shit

I have a bias against spread QB's, I admit that and it's a bias because they'll fail at about at 90% clip.

milkman

A person can make a well thought out, cogent point, but everything's lost when it boils down to "I don't like Mecca or USC."

**** me.

It is ridiculous.

I can't remember how many times we saw mecca say he didn't like Booty and wanted no part of him.

He's argued against drafting Mauluga high in this draft.

Yet we still see these idiots make this about mecca's USC fandom.

L.A. Chieffan

Fuck me.

no problem with mecca, although other peoples slobbing his knob around here all the time is pretty annoying.

yeah sc sucks. but if its good for the chiefs ill take scss whole fucking squad and their backups i dont care

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Sorry, but I'm not putting much weight into what basement-guy says in his mocks.

ArrowheadAddict is one of the mocks listed there, FFS.

You're wasting your time with anything outside of Walter Football and Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown.

And in all my time studying the draft, I've yet to see someone nail it in early February. There aren't very many that can nail it in late April.

If Rick Gosselin's final mock comes out on the day before the draft and says we're passing on a QB, THEN I'll get worried.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Reminds me of Farve. Rocket arm. Poor Mechanics.

I see some of that..Stafford does make some of those throws with that straight up demeanor of 'I can throw this ball into that needle sized hole"

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a bias against spread QB's, I admit that and it's a bias because they'll fail at about at 90% clip.

odd coincidence, thats about the sc qb failure rate as well

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I'd be happy if the Chiefs got either one. Stafford though has a high chance of going 1st overall.....so I'll be just as happy with Sanchez too.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
It is ridiculous.

I can't remember how many times we saw mecca say he didn't like Booty and wanted no part of him.

Beat me to it.

ChiefsCountry
Sorry, but I'm not putting much weight into what basement-guy says in his mocks.

ArrowheadAddict is one of the mocks listed there, FFS.

You're wasting your time with anything outside of Walter Football and Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown.

And in all my time studying the draft, I've yet to see someone nail it in early February. There aren't very many that can nail it in late April.

If Rick Gosselin's final mock comes out on the day before the draft and says we're passing on a QB, THEN I'll get worried.

Pretty much spot on -
Walter
NFL Draft Countdown
Gosselin
Mayock

Only mocks really to worry about.

DeezNutz
no problem with mecca, although other peoples slobbing his knob around here all the time is pretty annoying.

yeah sc sucks. but if its good for the chiefs ill take scss whole ****ing squad and their backups i dont care

The whole SC point is that he's coming from a very NFL-ready system.

Similar points have been made over the last couple of years about the value of selecting LSU players--great athleticism, championship environment, top competition, etc.

Don't get worked up about an individual school. It's the larger point that carries the day.

Mecca
It is ridiculous.

My most heavily pimped player ever went to fucking Florida State, you'd think people would realize when talking about the draft I could give a shit what school they went to, well unless they are a Texas prospect...but that's another topic.

Brock

Are you sure about that?

Otter
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
He's a great project but not a 3rd overall pick. No way.

ChiefsCountry
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
My comparsions for Stafford and Sanchez are this:
Stafford - Elway
Sanchez - Aikman

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Har har...50/50 there buddy, Booty doesn't count because no one thought anything of him.

L.A. Chieffan

Similar points have been made over the last couple of years about the value of selecting LSU players--great athleticism, championship environment, top competition, etc.

Don't get worked up about an individual school. It's the larger point that carries the day.

worked out good for jamarcus. i see your point

DeezNutz
It is ridiculous.

Good points.

Mecca
My comparsions for Stafford and Sanchez are this:
Stafford - Elway
Sanchez - Aikman

Sanchez is way more mobile than Aikman ever was...

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Really?

Since Carroll took over, Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart have been drafted in the first round.

How's that equal 90%?

Lzen
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
One thing I noticed about watching Sanchez is that he does not let the blitz bother him that much. At least when it comes to the DB blitzes off the edges. Does a nice job of stepping up and keeping his eyes down the field.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
worked out good for jamarcus. i see your point

Completely missing the point.

That's what happens when a team selects a talented, yet extremely raw tub of goo with the #1 overall selection. Eyebrows should have been raised when he worked out in an oversized t-shirt and shorts and highlighted throwing balls from his knees.

All qualities I covet highly in a franchise QB.

Let's try to stay on point.

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
One thing I noticed about watching Sanchez is that he does not let the blitz bother him that much. At least when it comes to the DB blitzes off the edges. Does a nice job of stepping up and keeping his eyes down the field.

It's that composure and poise in the pocket that really impresses.

Lzen
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Looks to me like both of those guys could use a little improvement on their footwork. Not that they're terrible. Just that they aren't great in that area. Going by those vids, it appears to me that perhaps Sanchez is a bit better in the footwork dept. And I didn't realize that Georgia ran so much shotgun. Wow.

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
That throw that Sanchez makes at the 3:00 mark is amazing.

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Are you fucking kidding me?

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Really, a guy he could be compared to in terms of the combination of accuracy and mobility is Lenny Dawson.

ChiefsCountry
And I didn't realize that Georgia ran so much shotgun. Wow.

I watched 11 Georgia games, those highlights made it seem like they ran it all they time. They ran a pro set most of the time.

Lzen
Stafford has great arm strength. The only thing that worries me a bit is that he relies on the arm strength over good footwork a little too much. Of course, a good QB coach can work that out of him, I would think.

Frosty
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM

The intangibles are why I am hoping for Sanchez. The inexperience issue can be fixed.

ChiefsCountry
02-11-2009, 10:22 AM

The leadership qualities, accuracy, and arm all remind me of Aikman. Sanchez does have a stronger arm than Aikman though.

Lzen
02-11-2009, 10:23 AM
That throw that Sanchez makes at the 3:00 mark is amazing.

Yep. That was on a rope.

evolve27
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Stafford is the better prospect, Mayock says so. Thread over.

crazycoffey

does Georgia run the spread? I really didn't think they did if they did.....

L.A. Chieffan
Har har...50/50 there buddy, Booty doesn't count because no one thought anything of him.

did you just become a sc fan when carrol got there? i've been hearing about how AWESUME the next sc qb is gonna be my entire life.

ChiefsCountry
does Georgia run the spread? I really didn't think they did if they did.....

No Georgia does not run the spread.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 10:25 AM

*hides behind rock*

STONE HIM!!!!LMAO

:spock: Good lord; miss threads, topics, and points for weeks much?

I'll say it. I like Sanchez. I've been in denial this whole time. Sanchez for 3rd overall.

Welcome aboard! You may pick up your tequila and sombrero at the coat check.

It's the misdirection and on the fly adjustments that work 95% of the time that impress me.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Sadly, me thinks "no".

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jidar http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5478882#post5478882)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Are you ****ing kidding me?

I kinda got that impression from the video highlights....

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
did you just become a sc fan when carrol got there? i've been hearing about how AWESUME the next sc qb is gonna be my entire life.

I figured this was recent history seeing as the QB's before Pete Carroll would really have no reflection on this offense or this coaching staffs ability to prepare players.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Really?

Since Carroll took over, Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart have been drafted in the first round.

How's that equal 90%?

and matt leinart has completely busted and sorry to say but carson isnt looking a whole lot better right now.

there was an institution called the University of Southern California before Pete Carroll got there. It's been around for a while, not sure if you guys knew that.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
The leadership qualities, accuracy, and arm all remind me of Aikman. Sanchez does have a stronger arm than Aikman though.

Eh man that's tough, Aikman threw one of the prettiest balls.

crazycoffey
No Georgia does not run the spread.

sounded like that was some's arguement in this thread for not liking stafford....

milkman
The intangibles are why I am hoping for Sanchez. The inexperience issue can be fixed.

Yeah, it is the intangibles that stand out for me as well.

The composure, poise, leadership, and maturity seemed obvious for all to see when watching.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Who's the last prospect to come out that threw that well on the run?

Another plus for Sanchez - he's just as accurate on the run without setting his feet as he his in the pocket, when he can step up and into his throw.

Mecca?

Milk?

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

L.A. Chieffan
I figured this was recent history seeing as the QB's before Pete Carroll would really have no reflection on this offense or this coaching staffs ability to prepare players.

SC QBS. SC.
IF YOU HAVE PLAYED QB FOR SC IN THE PAST 50 YEARS SOME JACKFUCK WILL THINK YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY READY FOR THE NFL

Mecca
sounded like that was some's arguement in this thread for not liking stafford....

If you're trying to say I don't like Stafford I'm going to crush your head...

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Mecca?

Milk?

I'd actually really have to think about that....nothing is really coming to mind.

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
and matt leinart has completely busted and sorry to say but carson isnt looking a whole lot better right now.

there was an institution called the University of Southern California before Pete Carroll got there. It's been around for a while, not sure if you guys knew that.

Palmer was widely regarded as one of the top three QBs in the league before injuries derailed him.

And thanks for the info about SC.

I thought it was new to college football.

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Mecca?

Milk?

I'm sure there will be someone I'm missing, but I'd have to say Roger Staubaugh.

Lzen
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
SC QBS. SC.
IF YOU HAVE PLAYED QB FOR SC IN THE PAST 50 YEARS SOME JACK**** WILL THINK YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY READY FOR THE NFL

The reason people think that about SC is that Pete Carroll was an NFL coach. Don't you think that might help?

penguinz
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Sanchez's mechanics look much better than me. Also appears to have better accuracy and stronger arm.

Agent V
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty much sold on Sanchez. Love the mobility and the potato gun arm.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Sanchez's mechanics look much better than me. Also appears to have better accuracy and stronger arm.

Ok I'm going to tell you straight up Stafford has a stronger arm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Really, a guy he could be compared to in terms of the combination of accuracy and mobility is Lenny Dawson.

Milkman goes for the gusto! :clap:

Palmer was widely regarded as one of the top three QBs in the league before injuries derailed him.

I'll tell you what about Palmer; I watched that Bengals V Giants game in week 3, and Palmer was the toughest son of a bitch I've seen take a snap in a long, long time. There was NO QUIT in that guy whatsoever.

penguinz
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Cool. You watch them both more than I have. I was just going on the first few play I watched in each video.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM

so does SC's "pro style" offense carry more weight than Georgia's?

*trying to understand

Agent V

Palmer is most definitely one of the top three. And he's playing on a shitty Cincinnati team. As DCS said, he's a tough SOB. I wish we could see him take a better team to the playoffs.

Just Passin' By
Just as an FYI, Kiper would take Cassel over either of these kids. The story is in the Boston Globe, Reiss Pieces (I still can't post links):

Given that, would he take Stafford or Sanchez, or would he rather have Matt Cassel in a trade?

"If I were Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat. If you’re asking me if I would rather have Matt Cassel or Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez, I’d rather have Matt Cassel," Kiper answered.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

That said, Sanchez can throw the rocket or the soft touch with equal skill. And, I can't see wanting anyone else when it comes to throwing in to tight coverage.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Kiper enjoys the Patriots wang apparently.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Sanchez has a plus arm don't get me wrong, Stafford just has one of those rare rocket arms.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
so does SC's "pro style" offense carry more weight than Georgia's?

*trying to understand

No.

It's just that he's been exposed to good coaching and a complicated scheme with similarly complicated terminology. That's why it matters. The name of the school doesn't, nor does any poster's affinity for said school. That's all I'm saying.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
UGA's offense is alot simpler than SC's if that's what you're getting at.

doomy3
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I want Stafford for sure as the #1, but would be happy with Sanchez too. I think Sanchez will be a solid, but unspectacular NFL QB. I think Stafford's ceiling is higher.

milkman

I haven't seen you play, so I'll take your word on it.

:D

OnTheWarpath15
Just as an FYI, Kiper would take Cassel over either of these kids. The story is in the Boston Globe, Reiss Pieces (I still can't post links):

THIS Mel Kiper?

Kiper thought that Heisman Trophy winner and University of Houston quarterback Andre Ware would be an excellent NFL quarterback and a great match for the Detroit Lions-- Ware's tenure in the NFL was brief and inconspicuous. Ware is considered among the biggest busts in draft history.

In 1997, Kiper stated off the air in an interview with Chris Mortenson that Coastal Carolina offensive lineman Adam Steuer was a future hall of famer. Adam Steuer fell to pick 169 to the Buffalo Bills, and would go on to lead a dismal 2-year career, and was eventually cut. He is currently a High School football coach at Seaholm High School in Birmingham, Michigan.

In 1999, Kiper said that Oregon quarterback Akili Smith would be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason. Smith was selected ahead of Daunte Culpepper, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Champ Bailey, and Jevon Kearse, but he spent less than four abysmal seasons in Cincinnati, starting only 17 games. He has since struggled in several brief stops in the NFL, NFL Europe, and the CFL. It's notable that Kiper rated Smith higher than Donovan McNabb and Culpepper, despite the facts that Smith only had 11 starts at the college level and had performed poorly on the Wonderlic aptitude tests administered at the NFL Combine, both of which are traditionally seen as important indicators of a quarterback's readiness for the NFL. Smith's career was marred by inconsistency and failure to grasp the complexities of the Bengals' playbook, issues which appear to have been foreshadowed by his lack of experience and low scores.

This one is probably my favorite:

One of Kiper's most well known mistakes was when he stated that USC wide receiver Mike Williams would be the best player in his 2005 draft class, despite not having played football in over a year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA. When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge disagreed, Kiper uttered the now infamous line, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Williams has been a remarkable disappointment, battling weight problems, playing very little and showing no signs of improvement with any of the three teams he's played for. Williams was unsigned after three years in the NFL as of 2008.

In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning. Kiper also said that Leaf had the better natural physical tools and would be a great quarterback, though he still rated Manning as the more polished and better overall prospect. Leaf was chosen second overall by the San Diego Chargers immediately after Manning. Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans. He is now regarded as not only the worst bust in NFL draft history, but also possibly the biggest bust in all of professional sports.[9] His story is viewed as a cautionary tale of what can happen when a team attempts to build around a player with raw talent but questionable attitude.

Before the 2001 NFL season, Kiper predicted the New England Patriots to go 0-16 and have the 1st pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Instead, the Patriots went 11-5 and went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM

I've not been following you around reading all your posts everyday, today in this thread it sounded like you said you pass on stafford because he was a spread guy or not "nfl ready" (I hate that statement), or someone else started that or whatever, so appologies if I missed it.

I like what I see in both these QB's from these videos, in this thread;

Stafford = better arm, calling audibles, looked like he can run faster than sanchez, made all the throws and looked more comfortable in the pocket. more shorter passes, ball control offense (system QB?), he seemed accurate (hear others in this thread say different)

Sanchez = impressive long ball (for a "weaker arm") hit several WR's in step yards down the field, look alittle "anxious" in the pocket = happy feet. seemed to try and force the ball more than Stafford (hearing the opposite in this thread from people that watched more than just these highlights = maybe something to that)

from this that I just saw, it seems Stafford has more intangibles, but I know I didn't follow the team all year. whichever one we take, we better bring in a QB coach that is going to "gel" with him, and that coach may have to depend on which one we take....

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM

Kiper has been unimpressive to me so far.

doomy3
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
FWIW, Todd McShay just said on Sportscenter that Sanchez's arm wouldn't rank in the top 5 of this draft. Compared his arm strength to Chad Pennington's, but said Sanchez has a slightly better arm.

Mecca
Mel Kiper will honestly very rarely say anything bad about a prospect, he always takes the nice approach.

Brock
FWIW, Todd McShay just said on Sportscenter that Sanchez's arm wouldn't rank in the top 5 of this draft. Compared his arm strength to Chad Pennington's, but said Sanchez has a slightly better arm.

Now that's funny.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM

LOL Todd McShay is seriously like the worst draft guy ever....

Chad Pennington cmon, that's laughable.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
UGA's offense is alot simpler than SC's if that's what you're getting at.

and Pittsburg's offense seems "simpler" than Arizona's in the superbowl, or simpler than Dicky's/Saunders. I just don't see how that argument makes the biggest difference.....

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
and Pittsburg's offense seems "simpler" than Arizona's in the superbowl, or simpler than Dicky's/Saunders. I just don't see how that argument makes the biggest difference.....

It matters when you're looking at something like readiness it means Sanchez is more use to understanding a more complicated offense.

Sanchez by no means has a weak arm he has a better arm than Matt Ryan does for christ sake.

milkman
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Seriously, McShay makes Kiper look genious(cps) by comparison.

doomy3
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

who would you compare his arm strength to?

Sweet Daddy Hate
In other news, Petro is ripping me off again.

Mecca
Mark Sanchez is on the NFLDC hot list...

It came as a surprise to many (including Pete Carroll) when Mark Sanchez entered the draft after his junior year but at this point it looks like that was a smart decision. Even though he was only a starter for one season Sanchez is the most physically talented Trojan quarterback since Carson Palmer and there is no limit to how good he can be with more experience. Further adding to Sanchez's allure is the final impression he left scouts with, throwing for 413 yards and 4 touchdowns en route to winning MVP honors in the Rose Bowl. Sanchez will have a tough time overtaking Matthew Stafford as the top quarterback in this draft but he has a stranglehold on the #2 spot and could go as high as #3 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs. Worst-case it's hard to envision him falling out of the Top 10 overall and you could even see a number of teams trying to trade up for him.

missinDThomas
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
mecca.....in your own opinion

does sanchez = palmer carson not jesse
sanchez = lienart

recent starters from your boys who did totally opposite things in NFL

Mecca
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
who would you compare his arm strength to?

I'd say above average NFL caliber arm...If you want guys I think he has comparable arm strength to Matt Ryan or Tom Brady.

missinDThomas
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
wow...thinking same crap same time....

Mecca
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
mecca.....in your own opinion

does sanchez = palmer carson not jesse
sanchez = lienart

recent starters from your boys who did totally opposite things in NFL

He's closer to Palmer in physical talent.....he has a much much better arm then Leinart does.

Leinart is a system limited QB, who ended up with a coach who runs a system that isn't for him.

Just Passin' By
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
THIS Mel Kiper?....This one is probably my favorite:

Ehhh... if you don't like Kiper, so be it. As I noted, it was just an FYI.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Mark Sanchez is on the NFLDC hot list...

It came as a surprise to many (including Pete Carroll) when Mark Sanchez entered the draft after his junior year but at this point it looks like that was a smart decision. Even though he was only a starter for one season Sanchez is the most physically talented Trojan quarterback since Carson Palmer and there is no limit to how good he can be with more experience. Further adding to Sanchez's allure is the final impression he left scouts with, throwing for 413 yards and 4 touchdowns en route to winning MVP honors in the Rose Bowl. Sanchez will have a tough time overtaking Matthew Stafford as the top quarterback in this draft but he has a stranglehold on the #2 spot and could go as high as #3 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs. Worst-case it's hard to envision him falling out of the Top 10 overall and you could even see a number of teams trying to trade up for him.

Morning wood achieved.

missinDThomas
I just want to win some f'n games already

King_Chief_Fan
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
jidar-
your observation is a fair one. particularly given the fact that that Sanchez has only 16 games played in college.

Looks like Sanchez had some pretty wide open WR's to throw to. Good OL protection also. I think most QB's make those throws.
He won't have that luxury being a QB of the KC Chiefs.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
He's closer to Palmer in physical talent.....he has a much much better arm then Leinart does.

Leinart is a system limited QB, who ended up with a coach who runs a system that isn't for him.

well, Trent Green understands a complicated offense and Big ben has won a superbowl, which one do you want?

Look - I see both have upsides, and really only like to discuss things like this with you so I can better understand. I don't see the "he ran a complicated offense" as a major variable in discussing strengths. Can he read a complicated Defense? would be a better variable IMHO.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
well, Trent Green understands a complicated offense and Big ben has won a superbowl, which one do you want?

Look - I see both have upsides, and really only like to discuss things like this with you so I can better understand. I don't see the "he ran a complicated offense" as a major variable in discussing strengths. Can he read a complicated Defense? would be a better variable IMHO.

Look, there is a giant difference between a simple and complicated college offense and a simple and complicated pro offense ok?

Geez man some of these arguments.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 11:14 AM
jidar-
your observation is a fair one. particularly given the fact that that Sanchez has only 16 games played in college.

Looks like Sanchez had some pretty wide open WR's to throw to. Good OL protection also. I think most QB's make those throws.
He won't have that luxury being a QB of the KC Chiefs.

No offense, but what video were you watching?

The pocket was constantly collapsing on him, and he either stepped up and made the throw with heat in his face, or he got out of the pocket and made the throw on the run.

milkman
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Look, there is a giant difference between a simple and complicated college offense and a simple and complicated pro offense ok?

Geez man some of these arguments.

I don't think Coffey arguing against Sanchez here.

It appears he's asking a legitimate question to gain an understanding.

Running a complicated college offense in college should make the transition to the NFL a little easier, and the ability to run a complicated offense speaks to his intelligence and grasp of schemes, which in turn should translate into an ability to make reads.

Que Card QB
02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Sanchez rhymes with Blackledge.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Running a complicated college offense in college should make the transition to the NFL a little easier, and the ability to run a complicated offense speaks to his intelligence and grasp of schemes, which in turn should translate into an ability to make reads.

Just to reaffirm the fact that when a poster tries to make a genuine effort to understand something or debate a point, most on here respond in kind.

Contrary to a lot of the bullshit posted about the "unaccepting" nature of this forum.

Fritz88
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I am impressed with what Sanchez did in one year of college football. Stafford has a stronger arm and is more ready to the pro level.

I like Sanchez'e footwork but will it amount to anything against NFL blitzes?

It's a tough call. I like Sanchez but it's Pioli's final call and I trust the bespectacled scout guru.

Here's a nice video analysis of the QBs

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201882

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Just to reaffirm the fact that when a poster tries to make a genuine effort to understand something or debate a point, most on here respond in kind.

Contrary to a lot of the bullshit posted about the "unaccepting" nature of this forum.

Thank you both, MEcca kindly kiss my ass, you prick.

CaliforniaChief
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't this topic be better off in a Detroit Lions fan club site? They're the ones who are going to have to decide which QB is better. We're just going to be in the position of deciding if the remaining one is good enough to be a franchise QB. I think they both are. Stafford looks more confident and at ease in the pocket. Sanchez looks like more of a playmaker, as someone earlier posted, like a Big Ben who can improvise and make things happen. I think it comes down to the intelligence thing, when Pioli and Haley have a chance to sit down with these guys and watch them break down film and demonstrate their understanding of the game.

The other factor will be if Pioli/Haley think Freeman or Nate Davis could be that guy, had for a much lesser cost. Either way, I'd be very happy with either Stafford or Sanchez.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
....Crazy likes to pick fights with me so um sorry for reading him wrong.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
....Crazy likes to pick fights with me so um sorry for reading him wrong.

very rarely do I, but you always think I do...

milkman
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Wait!

What?

Are you trying to ruin my reputation you dick weed?

King_Chief_Fan
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
No offense, but what video were you watching?

The pocket was constantly collapsing on him, and he either stepped up and made the throw with heat in his face, or he got out of the pocket and made the throw on the run.

when the pocket collapsed and he rolled out to throw the bombs, he had protection and a WR that was uncontested. He did have some others with heat in his face but the big heav ho's were wide open.

Mecca
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
when the pocket collapsed and he rolled out to throw the bombs, he had protection and a WR that was uncontested. He did have some others with heat in his face but the big heav ho's were wide open.

Well atleast give him credit for throwing those passes where they should be, that's more than Thigpen can do on his long balls.

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow....a True Fan on NFL network.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e98d6e

Hopefully the Lions do go OT with the 1st pick and then we have our pick of the QBs.

King_Chief_Fan
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Well atleast give him credit for throwing those passes where they should be, that's more than Thigpen can do on his long balls.

I have yet to see Thigpen throw a long ball...especially not like in either of those videos. My comments about Sanchez are not meant to be over critical. He is fairly inexperinced but does a have a cannon and can move. I will take him over Thigpen. Not certain I would take him over Stafford.

DeezNutz
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Wait!

What?

Are you trying to ruin my reputation you dick weed?

Oh no. You're still a real motherfucker. :D

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow....a True Fan on NFL network.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e98d6e

Hopefully the Lions do go OT with the 1st pick and then we have our pick of the QBs.

l really like Mike's takes, he shows good and bad sides, very good analysis too. I can't wait for the combine....

milkman
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh no. You're still a real mother****er. :D

Okay then.

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
l really like Mike's takes, he shows good and bad sides, very good analysis too. I can't wait for the combine....

That wasn't meant for Mike Mayock's video....sorry. Click on the video that says "Detroit Lions On the Clock".

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
That wasn't meant for Mike Mayock's video....sorry. Click on the video that says "Detroit Lions On the Clock".

Dear God.

He should be removed from the air immediately.

That was the True Fan Manifesto, in just over 2:00.

He's more worried about winning NOW than building a championship caliber team.

Here's hoping the Lions are as dumb as Solomon Wilcots is.

The Franchise
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Dear God.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch.....he had two points.

1. Build your o-line first.
2. Daunte Culpepper is a better QB than Stafford or Sanchez.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM

LOL - hey, it makes sense to me, go for it Lions....

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Dear God.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch.....he had two points.

1. Build your o-line first.
2. Daunte Culpepper is a better QB than Stafford or Sanchez.

Dear God; Carl is still operating in this league. Oh the horror!

Johnny Vegas
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Dear God; Carl is still operating in this league. Oh the horror!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/badmajama/MISC/GIF/GoodMorning.gif

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/badmajama/MISC/GIF/GoodMorning.gif

ROFL

Tiger's Fan
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Dear God.

Wilcots thinks Thigpen has an "excellent arm", and the Chiefs have their QB already.

Back on point. Most gurus have Stafford going first QB in the draft for a reason. He's started since his freshman year, and as has been said, has that rocket arm. They both have upside, with Sanchez lacking experience comparatively. I like both of their size and arm. It's probably a moot point, because Detroit will likely take Stafford #1. The question is, does Pioli try to trade down and grab Sanchez later in the top ten? Thats no guarantee either.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
ROFL

This! ROFL

Except you don't get any food. Or results.

Saccopoo
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I remember watching a USC game with friends this year, and one said "Man, the Chiefs could use that guy." about Sanchez. And the first thing I thought was "Nah, the dude has got happy feet."

He does. He bounces and dances around in the pocket - a lot.

That being said, he's got a lot of intangibles and I think that his happy feet tendencies can be corrected by a good QB coach in the NFL. And that he is substantially better than anybody we have on our roster. (And I like Brodie, but he's obviously not going to be able to maintain his health in the NFL - would make a nice backup though.)

Would I like Stafford over Sanchez? I don't know. I like Sanchez's swagger, his mobility, his smarts and his leadership. He also has a pretty good arm. Not as good as Stafford of Freeman, but it's a good arm nonetheless. I also like his off-the-field intanglibles - the kid is a good looking kid, his Latin ethnicity gives him a 21st century American everyman quality and his family background seems exceptionally solid. Right now, I'd take Sanchez over Stafford by a gnats ass hair.

Now to the spread versus pro set in college - people around here are going to have to realize that the spread is more than likely going to become even more prevalent as the use of it continues to equate to success in the college game. Florida's two national championships in four years, Oklahoma's record breaking offensive year, programs like Kansas rapidly being elevated into the Top 20 and even BCS bowl wins, Utah, a MWC team, winning two BCS bowls, etc. The spread is here to stay and it's only going to spread. (Sorry for the horrible pun.)

The pros and pundits and draftniks are going to have to start getting used to evaluating players coming from spread offenses in terms of their overall ability and how that ability translates into the pros rather than immediately discounting them as "spread monkeys" who have no draft value versus a guy from one of the four schools who continues to run a pro style under center offensive set. Kids want to win, and most of the teams winning are using a spread type system. And they are getting the good high school recruits, who also want to win and put up massive numbers.

The_Doctor10
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
look at throw at the 3:55 mark for Stafford....40 yard lazer into double coverage...over a CB and in front of a safety...and listen to the commentary...that's what we're drafting....

In the NFL that gets picked off 99 times out of 100.

Sanchez has a decent arm, he's far more comfortable moving around in and out of the pocket, and his decision-making is better. Matt Ryan didn't have Flacco's arm, yet he went 3rd overall. Drafting a QB based on arm strength that high is beyond insane (JaMarcus anyone?). Unless you want a stronger-armed, less mobile Tyler Thigpen whose only benefit is that he can do what Thigpen can from under centre. Oh, and for 65 times the cost of #4.

Sanchez FTW

donkhater
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
You know what? After seeing a plethora of QB's get drafted high in the first round, I think one can come to a conclusion. The ones who succeed are gamers, highly competitive and natural leaders. they don't rattle under pressure and love to study the game.

Nearly all QB's that are considered to be taken this high have the physical skills (save perhaps Tim Couch). It's what's in the head that will make/break them.

crazycoffey
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
In the NFL that gets picked off 99 times out of 100.

Sanchez has a decent arm, he's far more comfortable moving around in and out of the pocket, and his decision-making is better. Matt Ryan didn't have Flacco's arm, yet he went 3rd overall. Drafting a QB based on arm strength that high is beyond insane (JaMarcus anyone?). Unless you want a stronger-armed, less mobile Tyler Thigpen whose only benefit is that he can do what Thigpen can from under centre. Oh, and for 65 times the cost of #4.

Sanchez FTW

so you are saying you don't think stafford can run?

StcChief
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
You know what? After seeing a plethora of QB's get drafted high in the first round, I think one can come to a conclusion. The ones who succeed are gamers, highly competitive and natural leaders. they don't rattle under pressure and love to study the game.

Nearly all QB's that are considered to be taken this high have the physical skills (save perhaps Tim Couch). It's what's in the head that will make/break them.This :clap:

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Nearly all QB's that are considered to be taken this high have the physical skills (save perhaps Tim Couch). It's what's in the head that will make/break them.

EXCELLENT POST.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I remember watching a USC game with friends this year, and one said "Man, the Chiefs could use that guy." about Sanchez. And the first thing I thought was "Nah, the dude has got happy feet."

He does. He bounces and dances around in the pocket - a lot.

That being said, he's got a lot of intangibles and I think that his happy feet tendencies can be corrected by a good QB coach in the NFL.

Now to the spread versus pro set in college - people around here are going to have to realize that the spread is more than likely going to become even more prevalent as the use of it continues to equate to success in the college game. Florida's two national championships in four years, Oklahoma's record breaking offensive year, programs like Kansas rapidly being elevated into the Top 20 and even BCS bowl wins, Utah, a MWC team, winning two BCS bowls, etc. The spread is here to stay and it's only going to spread. (Sorry for the horrible pun.)

The pros and pundits and draftniks are going to have to start getting used to evaluating players coming from spread offenses in terms of their overall ability and how that ability translates into the pros rather than immediately discounting them as "spread monkeys" who have no draft value versus a guy from one of the four schools who continues to run a pro style under center offensive set. Kids want to win, and most of the teams winning are using a spread type system. And they are getting the good high school recruits, who also want to win and put up massive numbers.
"Happy Feet" are NOT a liability! This isn't some fucking Dinsney cartoon with penguins, goddamnit!
Do you know who else has "happy feet"? Payton Manning.
Happy Feet Debate OVER. Moving on.

Bullshit. The NFL is not changing it's standards to fit the vision of the Big, Fucking, Retarded 12. I'm a 12 supporter, and I HATE THAT SHIT. It's producing QB's that CAN'T FUCKING PLAY IN THE PRO'S.
Stoops, Brown, Mangino, and Pinkel deserve NUTHOOKS.

Excellent. And REP!

Wilson8
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Mel Kiper - Cassel > Stafford or Sanchez

Mel Kiper: Matt Cassel best bet

At least one draft expert is on record saying if the choice were up to him and he desperately needed a quarterback, he’d trade for Patriots [team stats] backup Matt Cassel rather than draft either of the top two prospects, Matthew Stafford of Georgia or Mark Sanchez of USC.

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper said yesterday during a conference call with the media that trading for Cassel would be a wiser decision for Detroit and Kansas City, which hold the No. 1 and No. 3 picks respectively in April’s draft, and can each use help at quarterback.

“If I were Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat,” Kiper said. “If you’re asking me if I would rather have Matt Cassel or Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez, I’d rather have Matt Cassel.”

Kiper said that while NFL teams have in the past over-reached for one-hit wonders like Rob Johnson, he’s sold on Cassel, who made a huge splash taking over for the injured Tom Brady [stats] this past season.

“This kid had a whole season where he had pressure to deal with, he had circumstances around him that he couldn’t control that he had to deal with, yet he still played well,” Kiper said. “He dealt with bad weather conditions, everything. He showed mobility, athleticism, toughness, accuracy, arm strength, he showed it all. He’s a kid who showed he could have been the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. It was amazing to watch him play this year.

“He came out the same year as those other three (class of 2005) quarterbacks (Alex Smith, Jason Campbell and Aaron Rodgers), and he’s better than those other three, and I’m including (Jay) Cutler (from the class of ’06) in that. I’d rather have Cassel than Cutler. So, to me, I think Cassel is more than worthy of being someone Kansas City or the Detroit Lions goes after.”

Kiper, nevertheless, believes Cassel will remain with the Pats after being slapped with the franchise tag worth $14.65 million, and will be retained as an insurance policy due to the uncertainty surrounding Brady’s knee.

While NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock hasn’t watched or studied Cassel extensively, he knows enough about the quarterbacks in this year’s draft to concur with Kiper.

“Because this year’s draft, in my opinion, doesn’t have a Matt Ryan or a Joe Flacco ready to step in,” Mayock said, “if you’re another team that needs a quarterback ASAP, Cassel is the obvious answer, and that would drive his value.”

Stafford and Sanchez are potential franchise QBs, but need time and seasoning, according to Mayock.

“I try to caution people that the Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco thing was an anomaly. You’re talking about two fifth-year kids,” Mayock said. “Stafford has been a three-year starter, but he’s only three years removed from high school. His physical maturity, his emotional maturity, he’s a couple years behind Matt Ryan. And Mark Sanchez has a grand total of 16 starts at USC. So while they’re both wonderfully talented kids, they’re behind where Ryan and Flacco were on several perspectives.”

Detroit also holds the No. 20 pick in the first round and their pick atop the second round (No. 33 overall). The Chiefs could also bargain with their second-round pick (No. 34). Other teams who may be in the market for a quarterback include Minnesota, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Chicago and the New York Jets [team stats].

The question is whether the Pats will reap return in a trade or be forced to eat a huge salary cap hit to retain Cassel as a safety net.

Said Kiper: “I think Cassel is contingent on Brady, and if Brady isn’t guaranteed to be 100 percent, and if they don’t feel comfortable putting all their stock in Brady coming off that injury, they’d have to have an insurance policy, and that would have to be Matt Cassel.”

Patriots owner Robert Kraft made an appearance on Howard Stern’s Sirius radio show yesterday. When asked what he would do if Brady didn’t play well next season, Kraft maintained loyalty in his rehabbing quarterback.

“He’s our guy,” said Kraft, who was touring the Sirius studios with Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin.

By Karen Guregian
Thursday, February 12, 2009

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1151684&srvc=sports&position=4

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Mel Kiper: Matt Cassel best bet

DCS: Mel Kiper huge douche.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I’d rather have Cassel than Cutler

I'd rather have hemorrhoids than Cutler. Does that mean I want Cassel? No.