PDA

View Full Version : News US Judges Admit To Kickbacks

FAX
02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I saw this and wanted to share. One has to wonder how rampant this sort of thing is. Is it an overstatement to say that our legal system is a damned mess?

US JUDGES ADMIT TO TAKING KICKBACKS

Two US judges charged with taking more than $2m (£1.4m) in kickbacks from a privately-run detention centre have pleaded guilty to fraud.

Prosecutors say Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan took the money in return for giving young offenders long sentences to serve in the centre.

The deal allowed PA Child Care LLC and a sister company to receive extra government funds, they say.

The judges in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, have both been suspended.

They have pleaded guilty to honest services fraud and tax fraud.

The plea agreements provide for prison sentences of more than seven years.

Mr Conahan had shut down a county detention centre in 2002 and signed a deal with PA Child Care LLC to send offenders to its new centre, prosecutors say.

They said Mr Ciavarella sent youths to the detention centre while taking money in return, though the judge has specifically denied sending youths to jail for cash, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Campaigners have complained that Mr Ciavarella gave out overly harsh sentences for minor offenses.

A spokeswoman for the non-profit Juvenile Law Center said 1,000-2,000 juveniles who came before the judge between 2003 and 2006 received excessively harsh sentences.

Many of the children were first-time offenders and had no lawyers to defend them.

The judge sent a quarter of his juvenile defendants to detention centres from 2003 to 2006, compared with a state average of one in 10, the AP reported.

"Your statement that I have disgraced my judgeship is true," Mr Ciavarella wrote in a letter to the court, Reuters news agency reports.

"My actions have destroyed everything I worked to accomplish and I have only myself to blame."

Mr Conahan made no comment.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7887502.stm

FAX THE DAMNED DISAPPOINTED

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if you know someone who received jail time from one of these bastards.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Some rich, young criminals in PA right now are pricing Escalades.

NickAthanFan
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Nuthooks are too nice for these douchebags.

FAX
02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Some rich, young criminals in PA right now are pricing Escalades.

Yep. Attorneys throughout the State are looking up his case log as we speak, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts.

They weren't available when the kids first went to trial, of course, but they'll sure be willing to take their case, now. Problem is that some of these guys belong behind bars, probably. Now they'll be on the loose, too.

Everybody loses on this deal.

FAX

FAX
02-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Okay, dammit. If Mr. Skip Towne had started this thread, it would already have at least 30 posts. What's going on around here? Conspiracy? Has Mr. Skip Towne paid you guys off?

FAX

chiefsfanintx
02-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I have family in Lurzerne County,I was also born there.

FAX
02-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I have family in Lurzerne County,I was also born there.

Are the judges known for being corrupt, Mr. chiefsfanintx?

FAX

chiefsfanintx
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Mrs.chiefsfanintex. I really wouldn't know about that. Haven't been there since 1991.

FAX
02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Mrs.chiefsfanintex. I really wouldn't know about that. Haven't been there since 1991.

Oops. My bad. Sorry, Mrs. chiefsfanintx. I use the "at work" mode and can't see avatars and signatures and things. Unless the peep's username is obvious, I can't determine gender. I won't make that mistake again. My apologies.

FAX

Warrior5
02-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Okay, dammit. If Mr. Skip Towne had started this thread, it would already have at least 30 posts. What's going on around here? Conspiracy? Has Mr. Skip Towne paid you guys off?

FAX

Um, yeah! This stuff pisses me off.

...contributing to the post count on Mr. Fax' thread.

Amnorix
02-13-2009, 07:18 AM
These are state judges, where unfortunately the quality (and ethics, apparently) can be very uneven at times. That system is generally riddled with political favoritism, neopotism, etc.

In general, judges tend to be very intelligent, upright and consciencious people who try to do the best job they can with relatively limited resources. Most, especially federal judges, could easily get paid much, MUCH more if they went into private practice.

But yes, these two obviously deserve nuthooks... Absolutely criminal.

Coltman
02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
nominated them to the bench????? I have my suspicions.

Skip Towne
02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
This thread needs naked dancing girls to spice it up.

bkkcoh
02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Where is the ACLU when you need them?

It sure seems like the state of PA has opened themselves up to a huge and expensive lawsuit.

When are the impeachment proceedings going to begin??

Amnorix
02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

They weren't federal judges. :doh!:

Lzen
02-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Do tell. :)