PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Hey look, another QB thread

Danman
02-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Because you just can’t have enough QB threads.

Let’s look at the QBs on the patriots roster to get an idea what Pioli likes in a QB:

Tom Brady 6’4” 225 lb
Matt Cassel 6’4” 230 lb
Matt Gutierrez 6”4” 230 lb

That’s what Pioli and BB drafted at QB. Each fit the mode of Pioli’s “big, strong, smart, tough” mantra.

Now let’s look at the Current Chiefs Roster at QB:

Tyler Thigpen 6’1” 225 lb Too short, Not smart
Brody Croyle 6’2” 205 lb Short, fragile
Engle Martin 6’2” 220 lb Short, ???
Quinn Gray 6’2” 240 lb Short

I don’t see one QB that fits the mantra. The closest is Quinn Gray. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gray wins the QB competition in training camp this year. I don’t think Pioli likes all the short QBs in the roster. There’s a BIG difference in football terms between 6’4” and 6’2”. It’s even bigger at 6’1” so I don’t think Pioli will be on the Thigpen band wagon. Also, from watching film I think he’ll be downgraded off the smart category. Strong and tough? That removes Brokey. I think Pioli uses the draft on a QB.

This year’s top draft eligible QBs (per Rotoworld):

Matt Stafford 6’3” 228 lbs
Marc Sanchez 6’3” 225 lbs
Josh Freeman 6’6” 250 lbs
Nate Davis 6’2” 217 lbs Short, light
Cullen Harper 6’3” 227 lbs
Curtis Painter 6’4” 230 lbs Regressed
Hunter Cantwell 6’4” 236 lbs
John Parker Wilson 6’2” 211 lbs Short, light

Stafford and Sanchez have good size and may be available for the chiefs at #3 pick. I like Sanchez for reasons I’ve stated in several threads. After looking at the list, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pioli takes Freeman in either Rd 2 or trades back up in late round 1. This scares me because I’ve seen Freeman play, but Pioli may fall in love with his size. Other possibilities include Painter and Cantwell who have ideal size and will be available in later rounds (for you who think Pioli will be after a later round diamond in the rough).. I think he pulls the trigger on Sanchez because of his Huge upside.

Cuss and Discuss

CrazyHorse
02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Because you just can’t have enough QB threads.

Let’s look at the QBs on the patriots roster to get an idea what Pioli likes in a QB:

Tom Brady 6’4” 225 lb
Matt Cassel 6’4” 230 lb
Matt Gutierrez 6”4” 230 lb

That’s what Pioli and BB drafted at QB. Each fit the mode of Pioli’s “big, strong, smart, tough” mantra.

Now let’s look at the Current Chiefs Roster at QB:

Tyler Thigpen 6’1” 225 lb Too short, Not smart
Brody Croyle 6’2” 205 lb Short, fragile
Engle Martin 6’2” 220 lb Short, ???
Quinn Gray 6’2” 240 lb Short

I don’t see one QB that fits the mantra. The closest is Quinn Gray. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gray wins the QB competition in training camp this year. I don’t think Pioli likes all the short QBs in the roster. There’s a BIG difference in football terms between 6’4” and 6’2”. It’s even bigger at 6’1” so I don’t think Pioli will be on the Thigpen band wagon. Also, from watching film I think he’ll be downgraded off the smart category. Strong and tough? That removes Brokey. I think Pioli uses the draft on a QB.

This year’s top draft eligible QBs (per Rotoworld):

Matt Stafford 6’3” 228 lbs
Marc Sanchez 6’3” 225 lbs
Josh Freeman 6’6” 250 lbs
Nate Davis 6’2” 217 lbs Short, light
Cullen Harper 6’3” 227 lbs
Curtis Painter 6’4” 230 lbs Regressed
Hunter Cantwell 6’4” 236 lbs
John Parker Wilson 6’2” 211 lbs Short, light

Stafford and Sanchez have good size and may be available for the chiefs at #3 pick. I like Sanchez for reasons I’ve stated in several threads. After looking at the list, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pioli takes Freeman in either Rd 2 or trades back up in late round 1. This scares me because I’ve seen Freeman play, but Pioli may fall in love with his size. Other possibilities include Painter and Cantwell who have ideal size and will be available in later rounds (for you who think Pioli will be after a later round diamond in the rough).. I think he pulls the trigger on Sanchez because of his Huge upside.

Cuss and Discuss

Why is 6'2" too short but 6'3" is fine?

Maybe 6'3" is too short making the only QBs in your list that fit the criteria Freeman, Painter and Cantwell.

Which of those do you want with the 3rd pick?

Dumb thread.

King_Chief_Fan
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Why is 6'2" too short but 6'3" is fine?

Maybe 6'3" is too short making the only QBs in your list that fit the criteria Freeman, Painter and Cantwell.

Which of those do you want with the 3rd pick?

Dumb thread.

what crazy said

Fritz88
02-13-2009, 07:04 AM
nice observations. Stafford may be in Pioli's watch, but no way he will take Sanchez.

Mecca
02-13-2009, 07:15 AM
nice observations. Stafford may be in Pioli's watch, but no way he will take Sanchez.

Uh huh...you keep telling yourself that..

6'2 to 6'3 is kind of the cut off mark 6'2 and under 6'3 and over.

Height is one of the single biggest things people overlook when judging a QB, being taller is a significant advantage.

CrazyHorse
02-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Uh huh...you keep telling yourself that..

6'2 to 6'3 is kind of the cut off mark 6'2 and under 6'3 and over.

Height is one of the single biggest things people overlook when judging a QB, being taller is a significant advantage.

Looks like 6'4" is the cut off mark according to the picks listed in the thread starter.

Just sayin'.

MahiMike
02-13-2009, 07:29 AM
That's why Cassel is coming here. Or Leftwich...)

suds79
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Outside of mobility being just average, I've always kinda liked Hunter Cantwell.

But obviously he'd be a middle to late round project.

EyePod
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
First of all, I don't think Thigpen "isn't smart." He came from a very small school and had to have a larger adjustment than QB's from bigger schools. I agree he is too short, but I think his mobility makes up for that. Now Quinn Gray, I don't know about him. He got beat out by David Garrard, the dumbest QB ever. I'm not sure if he'll stay on the team. Huard is used to the Patriots way... I'm just not sure. I still don't think we go QB with the pick, but if we do, I don't want Sanchez. Cmon, do you really want a poop mustasche as our QB?

DaKCMan AP
02-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Pioli/Belichick and the Pats also drafted:

Kevin O'Connell 6'5" 225lbs
Kliff Kingsbury 6'3" 220lbs
Rohan Davey 6'2" 245lbs

This thread is pointless.

EyePod
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
And I Gray is either innacurate or makes dumb decisions throwing. Besides this season (I know he had a great drive for us), his completion % was in the 50's. This may be caused by the lack of receivers (at least good ones) in Jacksonville, but he consistently put up those completion %. And for you Thigpen haters, if we stick with him, and he doesnt' improve his completions, I agree we should kill him. I'm just for giving him a shot in training camp.

EyePod
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Pioli/Belichick and the Pats also drafted:

Kevin O'Connell 6'5" 225lbs
Kliff Kingsbury 6'3" 220lbs
Rohan Davey 6'2" 245lbs

This thread is pointless.

They're all still 6'2" and up though.... I wonder what Kliff Kingsbury's middle name is... Kevin? Would a non Klan member name their with initials of KKK?

EyePod
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
They're all still 6'2" and up though.... I wonder what Kliff Kingsbury's middle name is... Kevin? Would a non Klan member name their with initials of KKK?

According to this article: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7859059.html
his middle name is "Leadership." I don't think it's true though...

ROYC75
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Damn, we better draft a 7'2" QB so we can be SB bound boys and girls. Yeeeeee Haaaawwwwww.

talastan
02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Chase Patton? 6' 5" 220+ I think he is going to defintely be looked at in the sixth-seventh IMO. Developmental prospect possibly. I'm not trying to be a homer but I heard he excelled in a pro-style scheme. It was when MU switched to the spread that he was put behind Daniel.

CoMoChief
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Chase Daniel 6'4 235 ROFL

Red Dawg
02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Scott said when they chose a QB in NE they looked at what the guy did when under pressure first and went on from there. He definitley will want a guy that's 6' 3" or better but what he can do under pressure and how accurate he is will be his deciding factor.

bevis369
02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Draft an NBA player...

ROFL

Priest4Prez
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
What about New England aquiring Doug Flutie ala FA? He can't even drive the big kid gocarts

KC kid
02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I am a big fan of Tom Brandstater. I have seen him play a few times and like his game. He is a big QB with a good arm. He can probably be had in the 5th round.

Here is a short youtube of him breaking down a couple plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIp6T6yD9c

Reerun_KC
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I am a big fan of Tom Brandstater. I have seen him play a few times and like his game. He is a big QB with a good arm. He can probably be had in the 5th round.

Here is a short youtube of him breaking down a couple plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIp6T6yD9c

Who?

KC kid
02-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Who?

Hey, anyone can say they like Stafford or Sanchez ;)