PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals Considering Orlando Hudson

MIAdragon
02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Royals Considering Orlando Hudson
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 14 at 11:10am CST]
ESPN.com's Buster Olney heard the Royals are looking for ways to fit Orlando Hudson into their budget. Olney calls this a "terrific idea" that would likely give the Royals a "greatly improved lineup and a better defense."

Earlier in the week, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported the Royals' interest in signing a free agent before the season begins. Hudson would cost the Royals their second-round pick.

eazyb81
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow that would be awesome. Doubt it happens though, as I suspect some big market team that whiffed in FA will come in with a big offer in the 11th hour.

doomy3
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope we do this.....

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-14-2009, 12:03 PM
They should be considering a different sport !

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
o-dawg would be a good pickup, would that make aviles the regular SS?

DJ's left nut
02-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Now THAT would be a hell of a get by KC.

Slot DDJ into the 2 hole where he belongs. Then you'll need Gordon to step up in that #3 hitter role. Guillen at 4, Jacobs at 5, Butler at 6, Aviles at 7, Olivo 8, Crisp 9 is a passable lineup.

You'd still need at least 2 of your pitchers to leap forward another level (be that Greinke becoming a true ace or Bannister/Davies a legit #3) and you'll need to find a better setup option than Nuke Farnsworth, but I could see the Royals flirting with near 90 wins if all that happens, probably settling around the 85-87 range.

DJJasonp
02-14-2009, 12:17 PM
whatever it takes to keep my interest past June 1st please!!!

Bloody Tomahawk
02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
"Hey, man, who the fuck gonna be old out there at twelve o'clock at night, bitch? Shit, nigga, I'll smoke anybody, nigga. I just don't give a fuck. Shit. I'm gonna hit this shit, nigger."

nychief
02-14-2009, 02:08 PM
They should be considering a different sport !

eat a bag of dicks.

DaWolf
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. Moore must be kicking himself right now for the bind Guillen has him in financially...

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
We wouldnt have to give up a pick in the draft to get Hudson would we?

DJ's left nut
02-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. Moore must be kicking himself right now for trading a good reliever for Coco Crisp's $6.5 million contract, forcing him to spend another $5 million on Farnsworth.

FYP

Moore's made several poor moves this offseason, but Hudson at a reasonable price would be a very good one, especially since it would only cost KC their 2nd rounder.

DJ's left nut
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
We wouldnt have to give up a pick in the draft to get Hudson would we?

Yes, as a Type A FA, the D-backs would be entitled to the 1st rounder of anyone picking in the bottom half of the draft. Because KC is picking in the top half, they'll get KC's 2nd and a sandwich pick between the first and second.

doomy3
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
MU had 25 points in the first half and 25 points in the first ten minutes of the second half.

So, you want the Tigers to sign Hudson?

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, as a Type A FA, the D-backs would be entitled to the 1st rounder of anyone picking in the bottom half of the draft. Because KC is picking in the top half, they'll get KC's 2nd and a sandwich pick between the first and second.

I could live with that. If it was the first I would have said no.

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
FYP

Moore's made several poor moves this offseason, but Hudson at a reasonable price would be a very good one, especially since it would only cost KC their 2nd rounder.

Worrying about trading middle relievers is pretty pointless.

These guys are often nails one year, junk the next.

The salaries, however, now that's a different story.

DaWolf
02-14-2009, 02:20 PM
FYP

Crisp, Farnsworth, and Jacobs are all questionable moves right now monetarily, although I like the Crisp move personally. I understand the reasoning, but he probably could have spend the money more efficiently. Bloomquist is also a WTF...

doomy3
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Crisp, Farnsworth, and Jacobs are all questionable moves right now monetarily, although I like the Crisp move personally. I understand the reasoning, but he probably could have spend the money more efficiently. Bloomquist is also a WTF...

This offseason has been confusing, to say the least.

About the only thing that we have done that I am really happy about is locking Greinke up.

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Pretty much.

Sure-Oz
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Exactly, middle relief seems to be a crapshoot unless you are a wiley vet that's done it for awhile

Bloody Tomahawk
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Hudson's bat is okay, but his defense would go a long way in helping the pitching staff.

Look at the last few pennant winners. Colorado ('07) won the NL in large part due to their defense led by rookie Troy Tulowitzki. Last season Tampa Bay adds Jason Bartlett and Evan Longoria to the left side of their infield, and puts speedster B.J. Upton in CF. Their entire pitching staff improved from the starters to the bullpen.

Coco + Hudson could mean an average 0.15 shaved off a Royals hurler's ERA.

doomy3
02-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Exactly, middle relief seems to be a crapshoot unless you are a wiley vet that's done it for awhile

But you can't ignore the fact that we ended up overpaying for a guy in Farnsworth who will most likely be a downgrade from RamRam and Nunez.

If we would have gotten better impact players than Jacobs and Crisp, I would be much happier about it though. Especially when there were much better impact bats just on the street without jobs. Still are.

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Farnsworth is the only questionable move IMO. Crisp is the perfect centerfielder for Kauffman Stadium. If Hudson is signed then Bloomquist is a nice ulitiy guy. Jacobs is a cheap power guy. Really the Royals season depends on Gordon, Greinke, and the rotation to step up. These offseason signings just need to be pieces.

KevB
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
FYP

Agree whole-heartedly. The salaries we're paying for the likes of Guillen, Farns, Jacobs and Horacio don't please me with where the market is today. I'd certainly rather have Adam Dunn and Nunez over the Jacobs/Farns combo. It's easy to criticize in hindsight, but damn.

Bloody Tomahawk
02-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Agree whole-heartedly. The salaries we're paying for the likes of Guillen, Farns, Jacobs and Horacio don't please me with where the market is today. I'd certainly rather have Adam Dunn and Nunez over the Jacobs/Farns combo. It's easy to criticize in hindsight, but damn.

Or even Bobby Abreu for $5 million instead of Jose Guillen at 2 yrs/$24 M.

KevB
Hudson's bat is okay, but his defense would go a long way in helping the pitching staff.

Look at the last few pennant winners. Colorado ('07) won the NL in large part due to their defense led by rookie Troy Tulowitzki. Last season Tampa Bay adds Jason Bartlett and Evan Longoria to the left side of their infield, and puts speedster B.J. Upton in CF. Their entire pitching staff improved from the starters to the bullpen.

Coco + Hudson could mean an average 0.15 shaved off a Royals hurler's ERA.

This is a great point, and exactly the reason I'm praying for Hudson over the likes of Teahen at second base.

DeezNutz
Pretty much.

This is why, to me, the no-brainer, most terrible move of the off-season was the Farnsworth signing.

I don't get it, on any level. It's especially confusing considering how successful Moore has been piecing together the pen, which is obviously much easier when you have a Soria as the backbone.

But, whatever. Hope Dayton proves I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

doomy3
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
This is why, to me, the no-brainer, most terrible move of the off-season was the Farnsworth signing.

I don't get it, on any level. It's especially confusing considering how successful Moore has been piecing together the pen, which is obviously much easier when you have a Soria as the backbone.

Smells a lot like the Tomko move from last year, which was just as awful.

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Smells a lot like the Tomko move from last year, which was just as awful.

True. But at least, unlike in years past, this type of player wasn't brought in to be the ace of the fucking staff.

Man, we're not too far removed from this garbage.

It's amazing the organization retained as many fans.

KevB
02-14-2009, 02:43 PM
The thing about Farns vs. Tomko though, is that Farns has at least been a consistently serviceable middle reliever as long as he's not put in too many high leverage situations. Tomko had been throwing batting practice for a year or two before coming to KC.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Moore must be kicking himself right now for the bind Guillen has him in financially...

Yea especially since he lead the team in homers and I believe rbi's. Terrible guy to have.

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 02:56 PM

THE problem with nunez was the fact that he couldnt stay healthy

Mr. Laz
02-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Heard this: The Royals are trying to figure out a way to fit free-agent second baseman Orlando Hudson into their budget. He would be a terrific addition for them and further deepen their improved lineup. With Hudson, this is what the Royals' lineup might look like:

LF David DeJesus
CF Coco Crisp
2B Hudson
RF Jose Guillen
3B Alex Gordon
SS Mike Aviles
1B Mike Jacobs
DH Billy Butler
C John Buck

The Royals could move Hudson up in the lineup to the No. 2 spot, of course, and perhaps slide Crisp toward the bottom. If the Royals signed Hudson, they would probably have a greatly improved lineup and a better defense. And if somebody emerged at the back end of their rotation, they'd be an interesting team. Mark Teahen could move around the diamond as an almost-full-time player, spelling teammates in different spots. Or if the Royals needed to clear some payroll, he would be a candidate for a trade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dolney_buster

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Heard this: The Royals are trying to figure out a way to fit free-agent second baseman Orlando Hudson into their budget. He would be a terrific addition for them and further deepen their improved lineup. With Hudson, this is what the Royals' lineup might look like:

LF David DeJesus
CF Coco Crisp
2B Hudson
RF Jose Guillen
3B Alex Gordon
SS Mike Aviles
1B Mike Jacobs
DH Billy Butler
C John Buck

The Royals could move Hudson up in the lineup to the No. 2 spot, of course, and perhaps slide Crisp toward the bottom. If the Royals signed Hudson, they would probably have a greatly improved lineup and a better defense. And if somebody emerged at the back end of their rotation, they'd be an interesting team. Mark Teahen could move around the diamond as an almost-full-time player, spelling teammates in different spots. Or if the Royals needed to clear some payroll, he would be a candidate for a trade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dolney_buster

put olivo in over buck and you've got it

doomy3
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM

LF David DeJesus
CF Coco Crisp
2B Hudson
RF Jose Guillen
3B Alex Gordon
SS Mike Aviles
1B Mike Jacobs
DH Billy Butler
C John Buck

Man, I really hope we didn't bring in Jacobs to be our #7 hitter. I also hope that Butler is more than our 8 hitter.

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2009, 03:05 PM
If we got Hudson, the lineup would be
Hudson
DeJesus
Gordon
Guillen
Jacobs
Butler
Aviles
Buck/Olivio
Crisp

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Man, I really hope we didn't bring in Jacobs to be our #7 hitter. I also hope that Butler is more than our 8 hitter.

Nothing wrong with having solid options in the latter 1/3.

If Jacobs is hitting any higher than 6th, it will be because either A.) he goes nuts and is the steal of the off-season, or B.) the team sucks ass.

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Nothing wrong with having solid options in the latter 1/3.

If Jacobs is hitting any higher than 6th, it will be because either A.) he goes nuts and is the steal of the off-season, or B.) the team sucks ass.

didnt he hit 32 hrs last year?

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
didnt he hit 32 hrs last year?

Something like that. But with a terrible OBP.

To me, he's a nice guy to have at 6-7 to add some thump to the lower part of the order.

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 03:23 PM

To me, he's a nice guy to have at 6-7 to add some thump to the lower part of the order.

with a guy like him all he needs to do IMO is get guys in. hr's, sac flys, we havent had a guy who could execute a sac fly consistently in years

Bloody Tomahawk
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM

One more thing to keep in mind, Jacobs slammed 32 HR at a tough park on lefties and hitters in general.

2008 home OPS: .758
2008 road OPS: .872

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
One more thing to keep in mind, Jacobs slammed 32 HR at a tough park on lefties and hitters in general.

I liked the move, personally, unlike a lot of posters here and some "media" folks like Rany.

We got some legit power on the cheap.

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I liked the move, personally, unlike a lot of posters here and some "media" folks like Rany.

We got some legit power on the cheap.

me too

eazyb81
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Hudson
DeJesus
Gordon
Guillen
Jacobs
Butler
Aviles
Buck/Olivio
Crisp

Doubt Hudson would leadoff, he's more of a 2 or 3.

DDJ or Crisp will leadoff for us. Adding Hudson would make our lineup strong from top to bottom though.

MIAdragon
02-14-2009, 03:36 PM

That park is murder on LH hitters, its projected that he would have had 7-8 more HR's in a more friendly park.

SAUTO
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Doubt Hudson would leadoff, he's more of a 2 or 3.

DDJ or Crisp will leadoff for us. Adding Hudson would make our lineup strong from top to bottom though.

see laz's lineup

DJ's left nut
02-14-2009, 05:01 PM

The Farnsworth move is why the Crisp move is a loser. If they don't trade Ramirez, they don't make the move on Farnsworth. You can't view deals in a vacuum and viewing the Crisp move in light of its effect on the entire 25 man makes it a clear step back.

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 05:05 PM
The Farnsworth move is why the Crisp move is a loser. If they don't trade Ramirez, they don't make the move on Farnsworth. You can't view deals in a vacuum and viewing the Crisp move in light of its effect on the entire 25 man makes it a clear step back.

Trading a middle reliever that the organization picked up off the scrap pile last year didn't obligate them to make a poor signing.

Sam Hall
02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't like the idea of giving up draft picks. We might have some fun this season if Greinke, Meche and Davies pitch well.

Danman
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Hudson
DeJesus
Gordon
Guillen
Jacobs
Butler
Aviles
Buck/Olivio
Crisp

I think starting off the year would be more like this:

Crisp
Hudson
DeJesus
Guillen
Jacobs
Gordon
Butler
Catcher
Aviles

Aviles may move to #2. Thought he did a good job in that role last year. I really don't like DDJ at #3, but I think he may start there. I really hope at some point Gordon's there. Can't wait to see how Seitzer works with this group.

Shox
02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
World Series here we come.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Crisp
Hudson
DeJesus
Guillen
Jacobs
Gordon
Butler
Catcher
Aviles

Aviles may move to #2. Thought he did a good job in that role last year. I really don't like DDJ at #3, but I think he may start there. I really hope at some point Gordon's there. Can't wait to see how Seitzer works with this group.

Olivo is the catcher, they announced that a long time ago.

DeezNutz
02-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Crisp
Hudson
DeJesus
Guillen
Jacobs
Gordon
Butler
Catcher
Aviles

I absolutely hate Mr. I Have Hives in the 3 hole.

This team really needs Gordon or Butler to develop and assume this role. Either have the ability to bring the type of consistency and punch to the lineup that one needs in this spot.

DDJ is nothing more than a "nice" player. Defense not good enough for center, and offense not really ideal for the corners.

He's a nice piece, but not the centerpiece that he's sometimes forced to try to be with the Royals.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I absolutely hate Mr. I Have Hives in the 3 hole.

This team really needs Gordon or Butler to develop and assume this role. Either have the ability to bring the type of consistency and punch to the lineup that one needs in this spot.

DDJ is nothing more than a "nice" player. Defense not good enough for center, and offense not really ideal for the corners.

He's a nice piece, but not the centerpiece that he's sometimes forced to try to be with the Royals.

Id throw Jacobs there anyway, he'd see more fast balls and less bendy stuff in the 3.

DeezNutz
02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Id throw Jacobs there anyway, he'd see more fast balls and less bendy stuff in the 3.

I'm hopeful it's Gordon. He was walking a lot more toward the end of last year, and if he can operate with this type of patience over the course of the season, he could have a break-out year.

This all assumes he stops his fucking Angel Berroa impression with chasing breaking balls in the dirt.

Sam Hall
02-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd rather them go after Braden Looper or Mark Mulder, if he's healthy.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd rather them go after Braden Looper or Mark Mulder, if he's healthy.

Loopers already signed.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 05:50 PM
And im not sure Mulder has even able to throw yet.

RJ
02-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Crisp
Hudson
DeJesus
Guillen
Jacobs
Gordon
Butler
Catcher
Aviles

Coco Crisp is not a leadoff hitter. Your lineup would be greatly improved just by Aviles and Crisp swapping places.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Coco Crisp is not a leadoff hitter. Your lineup would be greatly improved just by Aviles and Crisp swapping places.

the #9 and leadoff are really one in the same, and why do you think Coco is not a leadoff hitter?

tk13
02-15-2009, 05:56 PM
DDJ will probably never be the base runner Damon was, but he kinda scares me in that way... people always thought Damon never reached his potential, although his expectations were put through the roof.... he was always a "decent" player, but he took it to another level once we got rid of him. He's got a good eye at the plate and plays solid defense. But he probably has a better chance of having 20 HR pop than 20 SB.

KChiefs1
02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Is this a real possibility?

seaofred
02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
It is a possibility, IF we can clears some $$$.

RJ
02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
the #9 and leadoff are really one in the same, and why do you think Coco is not a leadoff hitter?

Below average to mediocre OBP.

Crisp will put up some decent stats with the Royals and roto players will be happy with him but his time with the Red Sox proved that he's not really a full time player.

Also, while the role of the #1 and #9 hitters are essentially the same, the biggest difference is that the leadoff man sees 150+ more AB's over the course of a season. Based on the past few years, I wouldn't want to give Crisp 150 more AB's than Aviles. Crisp is an ok player, nothing more. I hope he exceeds my expectations as a Royal.

RJ
02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Is this a real possibility?

Hudson has drawn very little interest from other teams. Must be the recession. Yeah, I'd say it's possible.

Chiefless
02-15-2009, 06:21 PM

The leadoff hitter will get more ABs, so you would want the better hitter in that role. Ideally, you want that guy to be able to work a pitcher for some walks and be able to steal a few bases. I'm really not sure who that should be, but there is definitely a difference between #1 and #9.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Below average to mediocre OBP.

Crisp will put up some decent stats with the Royals and roto players will be happy with him but his time with the Red Sox proved that he's not really a full time player.

Also, while the role of the #1 and #9 hitters are essentially the same, the biggest difference is that the leadoff man sees 150+ more AB's over the course of a season. Based on the past few years, I wouldn't want to give Crisp 150 more AB's than Aviles. Crisp is an ok player, nothing more. I hope he exceeds my expectations as a Royal.

I was excited when he came to the Sox, but a few weeks into the season he hurt his wrist and was never the player we thought he was going to be.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
since we will lose a high 2nd round pick we better sign him to a REAL deal

at least 3 years

you don't give up a pick like that for 1 year

RJ
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I was excited when he came to the Sox, but a few weeks into the season he hurt his wrist and was never the player we thought he was going to be.

I thought he was going to be great with the Sox. Maybe he would have if it wasn't for the injuries. Hopefully the wrist is healed and he'll bounce back as a Royal.

Wrist, finger and back injuries are all very difficult to come back from for a hitter.

When he gets on base, he will get some steals.

MIAdragon
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I thought he was going to be great with the Sox. Maybe he would have if it wasn't for the injuries. Hopefully the wrist is healed and he'll bounce back as a Royal.

Wrist, finger and back injuries are all very difficult to come back from for a hitter.

When he gets on base, he will get some steals.

This was one of my complaints with him, he's fast but his instincts’ are not the best IMO.

MIAdragon
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
You can close the door on this one.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/dodgers-sign-or.html

WilliamTheIrish
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
You know what? We need a thread dedicated to Royals baseball for 2009. It doesn't have to contain game threads, but it could contain all our spring training/Rob and Rainey/ trade rumors/ that kind of stuff.

So one of you guys get on that.

Valiant
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
You know what? We need a thread dedicated to Royals baseball for 2009. It doesn't have to contain game threads, but it could contain all our spring training/Rob and Rainey/ trade rumors/ that kind of stuff.

So one of you guys get on that.

Just keep the threads on here.. There is no point to have one thread about everything related to the royals..

WilliamTheIrish
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Just keep the threads on here.. There is no point to have one thread about everything related to the royals..

Or not.

Valiant
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Or not.

We had a dedicated section for a while for Royals.. It did not get much use.. The separate threads on here seem to generate more interest and posts if on the lounge board as separate threads..

Just my opinion though.. That and we do not have to wade through posts if a different topic/subject pops up..

Mr. Laz
02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
it's ok ..... i think i would rather have the spend money on more pitching if they were going to go above their payroll projection