PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Seeking opinions on cell phone service

penchief
02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my cell phone service and phone. I'm currently with AT&T. The service is much better now than three years ago when I bought it. I was originally going to just update my phone but since I have the flexibility of cancelling my current plan I started to shop around.

The deal that really jumped out at me was a Sprint plan and Blackberry 8330. The Blackberry would cost only $20 and I can get 450 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited messaging, and unlimited data (email, websurfing, GPS navigation, music radio, and television) for $69.99 plus taxes and fees.

It sounds almost too good to be true. Especially since I can get the NFL Network on the television. Does anyone have this plan? If so, any pros and cons you would like to discuss.

Are there any other plans out there that some of you are really satisfied with and would highly recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input you might provide.

morphius
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I do know that the 4 people I know with that phone really love it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Sprint is entirely underrated. I'll never leave them. Of course my 27% discount every month kind of insures that.

penchief
02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Sprint is entirely underrated. I'll never leave them. Of course my 27% discount every month kind of insures that.

How can I get that?

morphius
02-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Does that 69.99 include the blackberry fee?

penchief
02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Does that 69.99 include the blackberry fee?

What is that? I know that as a new contract the Blackberry will only cost me $19.87 and Sams Club offers a $40 discount which covers some sort of initial set up fee.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2009, 07:01 PM
How can I get that?

Well, it was entirely coincidental that I got it. When I signed up the rep told me he was going to list me as a Citigroup employee. I have no idea why he did it, but I'm not complaining. It's saved me a lot of money over the last 4 years.

penchief
02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, it was entirely coincidental that I got it. When I signed up the rep told me he was going to list me as a Citigroup employee. I have no idea why he did it, but I'm not complaining. It's saved me a lot of money over the last 4 years.

Maybe when I go back I'll ask if they give discounts for _____________ (fill in the blank).

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Maybe when I go back I'll ask if they give discounts for _____________ (fill in the blank).

Tell them you work for Citigroup. It's the biggest discount they give. I never had to prove anything.

morphius
02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Blackberry service is $30-$40 a month on top of the phone service, without it you can't use their text service, internet, etc. Make sure you ask about it.

morphius
02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
BTW - That isn't a Sprint thing, it is what RIM aka Blackberry charges to use their special service and you'd have to pay that with any Blackberry from any vendor.

penchief
02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Blackberry service is $30-$40 a month on top of the phone service, without it you can't use their text service, internet, etc. Make sure you ask about it.

Yes. The phone service is $39.99 and the Everything Data is an additional $30.00 for a total of $69.99. Of course after fees and taxes it will be closer to $80. And I'll probably add the $7 insurance on the $600 phone so that I can get it replaced if it's lost or stolen.

bigbucks24
02-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes. The phone service is $39.99 and the Everything Data is an additional $30.00 for a total of $69.99. Of course after fees and taxes it will be closer to $80. And I'll probably add the $7 insurance on the $600 phone so that I can get it replaced WHEN it's lost or stolen.

FYP.

Seriously, the insurance is a great idea. Mine was $100 deductible, but I don't think I had my Blackberry more than 2 weeks when I lost it. As a life lesson, may I suggest taht you do not leave your Blackberry sitting around in a strip bar. Wife was none too happy about that one. Lost $600 phone 2 weeks after I got it at a strip bar. UGH.

BTW, I love my Blackberry. I hae T-mobile and like the service and prices.

morphius
02-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes. The phone service is $39.99 and the Everything Data is an additional $30.00 for a total of $69.99. Of course after fees and taxes it will be closer to $80. And I'll probably add the $7 insurance on the $600 phone so that I can get it replaced if it's lost or stolen.
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me then. I just didn't want you to feel like you were getting screwed.

Anyong Bluth
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I love Sprint, and like supporting KC companies. Their customer service has improved, but they are the best deal and their network is way faster than the others. Chicago is getting their WiMax service in a month or so, which is super fast broadband like you have at home with your wireless router, but will cover the entire city and eventually nationwide. If your looking for discounts based on your company, check out Sprintusers.com in the message boards. there's a long thread listing a shitload under Tips and Tricks. Got my htc diamond, and love it! Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

penguinz
02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Everything about sprint sucks. I can't wait until my contract is up. They have dead spots everywhere in KC.

teedubya
02-15-2009, 03:20 AM
I just picked up the 8330, and its with sprint as well.

I love it so far. Coolest phone Ive ever owned. getting an iPhone and joining ATT would have cost a fortune...

plus I can download torrents for blackberry... iPhones, not so much

TJR1486
02-15-2009, 04:29 AM
I have sprint as well, my friend used to be a manager at a simply wireless store and hooked my whole family up with a 24 percent discount every month. One of my other friends works for sprint and said they just switched it to 1 year contracts with the same discount on phones that the 2 years used to get, can't go wrong with a 1 year
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-15-2009, 06:45 AM
How can I get that?

You have to be sucking up to somebody in the management.

jaa1025
02-15-2009, 07:11 AM
I hate sprint...I have ATT now with the IPHONE and LOVE IT. Best phone ever...the ONLY issue I have with it is it doesn't support MMS or whatever the picture mail is. I've had Verizon, TMOBILE and Sprint as well. If i we're to rank them all in the johnson county area at least it would go like:

ATT (most expensive though with Iphone plan)
Verizon (qualify for 15% off bill...if they had an IPhone, I'd be there)
TMobile (qualify for 15% off bill too...too many dropped calls in my house and no reception at work)
Sprint (BY FAR MOST DROPPED CALLS...crappy customer service.)

Oh, thats the blackberry model I had as well. It IS a lot of fun BUT my phone started acting up like everyone else I new about 3-4 months after I had it. I NEVER dropped it but it still screwed up...thats Window's Mobile for you.

bevis369
02-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Go through a re-seller get better deals...

GoTrav
02-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Tell them you work for Citigroup. It's the biggest discount they give. I never had to prove anything. With a partner like Citigroup, no wonder Sprint is cutting staff each week.

GoTrav
02-15-2009, 09:39 AM
getting an iPhone and joining ATT would have cost a fortune...

How would it cost a fortune? New customers to any provider do quite well, ATT had a free bluetooth headset they were giving away this week for new customer signups on eligible phones. $199 purchase price for an 8 gig 3g iphone, $30 per month on data plan $5 for 250 text messages then pick your poison on minutes.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
How would it cost a fortune? New customers to any provider do quite well, ATT had a free bluetooth headset they were giving away this week for new customer signups on eligible phones. $199 purchase price for an 8 gig 3g iphone, $30 per month on data plan $5 for 250 text messages then pick your poison on minutes.

To him $5 is a fortune! He sells used condoms. Not much of a market.

KevB
02-20-2009, 11:09 PM

My wife and I have been with Sprint for years, but I'm now shopping around for the first time. We've been ok with Sprint, but they don't really have any phones we like right now, and my wife's Treo just died. We're on the SERO plan, so we have quite a nice deal. For both of us to get iPhones, it would add $70-$80 per month, and that's hard to swallow. I have a 16GB iPod Touch, and love the thing. I'd LOVE to have the iPhone instead. Just don't think I can justify the additional expense.

T-post Tom
02-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I've had Sprint for years and it has been flawless. I also believe in supporting my KC brethren. (Yes, there will still be thousands of local Sprint employees after the layoffs.)