PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Said he would play for the Chiefs if asked on Sirius radio

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Khalif Barnes #69 OT» Add Widget Birth Date April 21, 1982
Birth Place San Diego, CA
Height 6-5
Weight 325 lbs.
Age 26
Position OT
Experience 4 years
College Washington

I haven't paid much attn to him, but he said that he has only missed 4 days of practice since drafted, due to bad ankle. He also said watch the tape and he does better against Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, and Kyle Vanden Bosch than anyone in the league, and he plays them twice a year.

Like I said, I can't say if his skills are that good, because I haven't paid attn to Jacksonville's LT. I just thought it was interesting that he said he would play for us. He said no to the maybe to the Lions, and yes to Oakland when questioned by Pat Kirwan.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2009, 09:50 AM
He sucks!

we could probably upgrade with him!

Chief Faithful
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
He is a good run blocker so if he is interested in RT I say sign him.

ChiefRon
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Was he asked if he could/would move to RT?

DaKCMan AP
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
No thanks.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
No thanks.

Why? The guy is a stud, is young, and will dominate for years to come. While I've always admitted that I'm a Husky fan boy, Khalif Barnes is the real deal. We'd be very fortunate to have him.

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
No, he was just explaining how he was a hard worker and how there was no one better going against some of the best DEs in the league. Watch the tape he kept on saying.

DaKCMan AP
02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Why? The guy is a stud, is young, and will dominate for years to come. While I've always admitted that I'm a Husky fan boy, Khalif Barnes is the real deal. We'd be very fortunate to have him.

Khalif Barnes a stud? ROFL

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan said he is the real deal too. They said he was a young solid tackle.

banyon
02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Khalif Barnes a stud? ROFL

He's got good size it looks like. I didn't get to watch many U Dub games, what do you know about him?

DaKCMan AP
No, he was just explaining how he was a hard worker and how there was no one better going against some of the best DEs in the league. Watch the tape he kept on saying.

In 2 games last year Freeney got 1 sack against Jax.

In 1 game last year Vanden Bosch got 1 sack against Jax.

In 2 games last year Williams got 3 sacks against Jax.

In 5 games, those guys averaged a sack per game against Jax. That's above the yearly average for all 3 guys.

DaKCMan AP
He's got good size it looks like. I didn't get to watch many U Dub games, what do you know about him?

I didn't watch him in college, but I've been unimpressed seeing him play for the Jags.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I didn't watch him in college, but I've been unimpressed seeing him play for the Jags.

He was awesome for a pathetic Husky team. He struggled his first couple of years in the pros, but he has developed nicely. I've got to assume you haven't paid attention the last couple of years.

DaKCMan AP
02-17-2009, 10:12 AM
He was awesome for a pathetic Husky team. He struggled his first couple of years in the pros, but he has developed nicely. I've got to assume you haven't paid attention the last couple of years.

uh.......... you have it wrong. He's gotten progressively worse in the pros.

Khalif Barnes' career ignited like a Roman candle in his rookie season in 2005, but it now appears to be in danger of fizzling out.

A second-round draft pick, Barnes stabilized the line when he was inserted into the Jaguars' starting lineup in his fifth game as a rookie at left tackle. He didn't allow a sack in his first 11 games and was tough enough that he played the second half of the playoff game at New England with a broken leg.

The sky appeared to be the limit for Barnes. The Jaguars figured to pencil him in at left tackle for the next decade. He appeared ready to become a dominant player.

Instead, Barnes has yet to fulfill his potential. There were problems off the field and inconsistent play on it. His stock fell so quickly that the Jaguars gave Richard Collier a chance to beat Barnes out for the job during training camp this summer.

Barnes has kept the job, but he hasn't exactly been winning plaudits from Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio.

Del Rio said Collier outplayed Barnes in the second preseason game against the Miami Dolphins and said Barnes played "OK" against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last Saturday in the Jaguars' third preseason game.

And that's not the only criticism he's received.

Mike Lombardi, a former executive with the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, wrote this week on nationalfootballpost.com that the Jaguars' tackles aren't athletic enough.

"The inability to leave either tackle on an island restricts what offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter can do regarding protection schemes," Lombardi wrote.

Lombardi wrote that the line will have problems handling the speed and quickness of the Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans in the Jaguars' six division games.

Barnes brushes that off. He said it's normal for the preseason.

"It's funny, because every offseason, it boils down to the same thing," Barnes said. "The last two offseasons, people have said, 'Are you going to have a problem running the ball well?' I guess what it comes down to is you have to relax. There's no need to push any panic buttons."

Barnes agreed that quarterback David Garrard has been taking too many hits in the preseason.

"I take personal blame for two," Barnes said. "He didn't get hit hard in the Miami game, but he did get touched, and I don't want him to get touched. It's psychological for a quarterback, especially when they get hit early. They'll be thinking about the next time they're going to get hit."

Barnes noted that, in the preseason, the line isn't playing the whole game, so the starters don't have as much time to work together.

"The bottom line is when we're all on the same page, the blocking is great," Barnes said. "We can all play better. I can play better, but this is what the preseason is for."

As far as becoming the dominant tackle he seemed to have the potential to become in his rookie season, Barnes said that takes time.

"I'm in year 4, not year 11," Barnes said. "Hopefully, my career isn't over, and I can get to the dominance that you're talking about. Certain players get it quicker than others. Some players, it takes five or six years, and then they find their niche and become dominant for another five years."

This is a critical season for Barnes because it's a contract year. He becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, so his future - whether he'll stay with the Jaguars and what kind of contract he'll get - will be determined largely by how he plays this year. Barnes said he isn't letting his contract situation apply any extra pressure.

"No pressure at all," he said. "That'll have a time and a place, and it'll all take care of itself."

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082708/jag_323405429.shtml

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
That's why I posted this thread. Knew nothing about him, and knew someone would.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
And now you know he sucks.

TommyHawk69
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Alot of guys that are ok at LT make very good RT. IMO

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
And now you know he sucks.:LOL:

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think they would move Albert to the RT anyway, so Barnes would have to move.

What the hell is Richardson all about? I read before the draft last year that even though he has size and strength he lacks fire. During a game his senior year in the middle of a drive with def on the field he asked the coach if they were still going to watch the movie he promised.

B_Ambuehl
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Barnes is more of a finesse player and not a dominant run blocker so you really wouldn't want him at RT. If you want a RT it'd probably be better to go after someone like a Vernon Carey from Miami.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
uh.......... you have it wrong. He's gotten progressively worse in the pros.

I stand corrected. I guess I'm the one not paying attention. I heard somewhere the guy was improving, I guess I heard wrong. It makes sense too. You don't let stud LT's walk away. If JAX is going to let him walk, there's a reason for it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I stand corrected. I guess I'm the one not paying attention. I heard somewhere the guy was improving, I guess I heard wrong. It makes sense too. You don't let stud LT's walk away. If JAX is going to let him walk, there's a reason for it.

That said though, a conversion to RT may be just what the DR. ordered. The guy is a brick shit house.

MahiMike
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only does he suck, he's a huge character issue guy. Got arrested several times and was going off on the cops, calling them all racist pigs.

Frosty
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
he's a huge character issue guy.

What else would you expect - he's a Husky. :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
What else would you expect - he's a Husky. :shrug:

I hate you.

Frosty
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I hate you.

ROFL

I knew that would draw you out. :D

You can't deny, though, that U Dub went through a period there with players with serious character issues.

CoMoChief
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
If Barnes was a stud they would sign the guy long term.

He's a good RT. I would take him over McInSack, but by no means is the guy a stud nor should we pay him like he's one.

That being said he could get better and he's young.