PDA

View Full Version : Football The Deuce is loose! Saints cut McAllister.

Goapics1
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
ESPN.com: NFL

Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Saints release RB McAllister

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The New Orleans Saints, as expected, parted ways with long-time running back Deuce McAllister by giving him his release Tuesday.

McAllister's release comes one day after the Jacksonville Jaguars cut the franchise's all-time leading running back, Fred Taylor. With a $7.5 million cap number and McAllister owed more than $5 million this fall, the Saints figured to either cut his salary or release him.

A news conference was scheduled for Tuesday.

His release puts the Saints under the $123 million salary cap.

"Decisions like this are always very difficult ones to make," executive vice president/general manager Mickey Loomis said in a statement before the news conference.

"Deuce has epitomized hard work, leadership and productivity throughout his career and has been a source of great pride for all of us associated with the team. His records and accomplishments on the field speak for themselves about the type of player he was in a Saints uniform," Loomis said. "He truly ranks as one of the greatest players in our club's history, and we are very respectful of everything he has meant to the Saints and our community."

In eight seasons in New Orleans, McAllister rushed for 6,096 yards on 1,429 carries.

Knee injuries have slowed him down the past couple of seasons. In his past two years, McAllister had only 131 carries and 510 yards.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3913182

ohiobronco2
02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The title should read. SAINTS DROP A DEUCE.

Frosty
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Bring him i....

Actually - don't. Dude is constantly hurt.

DaWolf
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
This was the guy we would have drafted if we didn't make the move for Trent Green and sign Priest Holmes IIRC...

Frosty
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
This was the guy we would have drafted if we didn't make the move for Trent Green and sign Priest Holmes IIRC...

It was him or Michael Bennett.

MIAdragon
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
The guy has no knees, he needs to hang'em up.

MIAdragon
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Right we actually would have drafted Marques Tuiasosopo/

bigdreams1
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe the saints would be in the market for a certain Larry Johnson?

ModSocks
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
He Will be a Chief

Reerun_KC
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Time for Bringing him in for a look /true fans.

sportsman1
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
That dude has never impressed me. Then again neither has Reggie "the wonderboy" Bush. With McAllister.. I just don't see a consistent "burst" out of him. Definitly not NFL 1st string material.

DeezNutz
02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Petro tells the story of Grandpa not guarding his draft materials closely in this draft year.

I forget exactly how he describes the list/notes, but, apparently, Brees was rated VERY high, and Petro claims that it looks like this would have been the selection.

Frosty
02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Petro tells the story of Grandpa not guarding his draft materials closely in this draft year.

I forget exactly how he describes the list/notes, but, apparently, Brees was rated VERY high, and Petro claims that it looks like this would have been the selection.

That's cool. My personal wish list back then was to sign Priest and Trent Dilfer and draft Drew Brees. I wasn't happy about any of the draft picks that they gave up for DV or Trent Green.

DeezNutz
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
That's cool. My personal wish list back then was to sign Priest and Trent Dilfer and draft Drew Brees. I wasn't happy about any of the draft picks that they gave up for DV or Trent Green.

The last two quarterbacks that I was really wanting the Chiefs to draft were Brees and...Plummer.

1 for 2 isn't too bad, I suppose. Though, in my defense, if the Jake didn't have so much Grbac in him, things might have been different.

The Rick
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
The title should read. SAINTS DROP A DEUCE.
Do you work for foxsports.com or something? Someone there has a sense of humor! :)

ohiobronco2
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Do you work for foxsports.com or something?

OMG ROFL

missinDThomas
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
He wouldn't be bad for cheap to run goal line and let Charles and Smith do the rest, unless we get someone else.

Reerun_KC
02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
He wouldn't be bad for cheap to run goal line and let Charles and Smith do the rest, unless we get someone else.:eek:

InChiefsHeaven
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
LJ to the Saints FTW!!!

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
SIGN HIM CARL

Mr. Laz
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
i think the owners have decided that they are gonna take a stand against the players union and are preparing for it.

so many teams are under the cap and have taken a "cut bait" policy towards high priced players

unothadeal
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Time for Bringing him in for a look /true fans.

Teach the young guys the ropes.

Mama Hip Rockets
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Do you work for foxsports.com or something? Someone there has a sense of humor! :)

ROFL

KcMizzou
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Soon we'll hear...

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Kansas City Chiefs, as expected, parted ways with long-time running back Larry Johnson by giving him his release.

The Buddha
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Soon we'll hear...

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Kansas City Chiefs, as expected, traded long-time running back Larry Johnson to the Detroit Lions for their 7th-round draft pick in 2015.

Fixed your post for you... :-)